Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Seeds of Memory isn't very good imo.

I think it's fine for :10bux: until Stardew comes out. It's convenient to have on my phone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
World's Dawn looks pretty cute. Think I'm going to try the demo.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Met posted:

Counterpoint, as a Harvest Moon fan, I didn't enjoy Rune Factory.

like the first one or the entire series

because the series goes from "eh" to "alright" to "great" to "wow this is really amazing"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Dragongem posted:

because the series goes from "eh" to "alright" to "great" to "wow this is really amazing"

Which one is the "wow this is really amazing" one? I'm in the mood for some Harvest Moon-like action. Can I play it on PC?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Which one is the "wow this is really amazing" one? I'm in the mood for some Harvest Moon-like action. Can I play it on PC?

4, and no.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pochoclo posted:

Rune Factory Frontier and Tides of Destiny can both be played on the Dolphin emulator. I recommend Frontier for something closer to traditional Harvest Moon because farming is better in that game. I like both games quite a bit though.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Pochoclo posted:

4 is the best in the series; each one builds off the other. This also means that once you play 4 it's hard to play 3 and 1 and 2 are impossible :v:

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I've still not played 4. I found 1 to be fun, but 2 felt kinda 'meh' to me. 3 was fantastic, but Frontier was probably my favorite.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Xavier434 posted:

But is there an alternative that you liked more than RF?

Story of Seasons.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dragongem posted:

My experience with 4 is "anime overload" and some of the worst dialogue and story I've seen in a video game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Met posted:

My experience with 4 is "anime overload" and some of the worst dialogue and story I've seen in a video game.
Having had no experience with Rune Factory, pretty sure I returned #4 just a day or two after I bought it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think I still have it sitting around somewhere. I should really just give it away to some goon who really wants it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Met posted:

Jackard posted:

Having had no experience with Rune Factory, pretty sure I returned #4 just a day or two after I bought it.

I too don't like good video games because of anime

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't like it because I don't want a second rate Zelda game in my farming game.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Met posted:

How anime are we talking?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime owns, and the dialogue in RF4 is fun and cute

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Endorph posted:

the dialogue in RF4 is fun and cute

Yeah, I'm in the middle of it now and while a few characters (in a cast of 20+) are a bit anime, it's nothing more than I saw playing Story of Seasons, fantasy trappings aside. The game is also pretty open about "if you don't wanna do the RPG bits, train a pet/befriend a townsperson", those dudes are basically unkillable if you go on the healing.

edit: like, I just ran through town, here are any characters you might find "excessively" anime - klutzy bathhouse owner, 3 people who join later. Bam. Again, double-digit townsfolk cast.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 26, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like rune factory's higher focus on characters over farming. It's anime as hell and not even particularly good anime but farming is just plain tedious tbh, I had way more fun with the game series that gave me something else to do

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh the characters in every harvest moon game are a bit anime. they're from japan. things that are from japan generally resemble japanese pop culture.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Endorph posted:

tbh the characters in every harvest moon game are a bit anime. they're from japan. things that are from japan generally resemble japanese pop culture.

Yeah this is my feelings about both the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory series. Rune Factory just happens to tie in a bit more fantasy to the atmosphere is all. Both are really anime so I find it weird when people who are fans of Harvest Moon dislike Rune Factory for that reason.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 26, 2016

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Rune Factory 4 tones it way down compared to RF3, even.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Of course there was more to it than that but it was enough to stand out. Otherwise I wouldn't be interested in this to begin with.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 26, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
anime is insanely good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

stardew valley will either be anime, or insanely boring.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Look some of my best friends are animes but sometimes things go too far

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill buy World's Dawn tonight and give you guys a trip report

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rune factory characters are fun, and they are my friends

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

rf4 is good but not amazing imo. i don't see it as an alternative to harvest moon as the farming is a smallish part in the whole game i think

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I never played RF4 but in RF Frontier I felt that farming was just as important to the game as any Harvest Moon that I played. It was basically everything Harvest Moon offered me plus action combat with other RPG elements. Since I like both of those kinds of games, it was pretty heavenly for me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

stardew valley will either be anime, or insanely boring.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/692086063968468992

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Harvest Moon is very anime but the difference is the graphics aren't anime. They are just generic sprite/gamecube-era 3d graphics. I've never played Rune Factory but just google imaging it blasts you with anime graphics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drunken officeparty posted:

Harvest Moon is very anime but the difference is the graphics aren't anime. They are just generic sprite/gamecube-era 3d graphics. I've never played Rune Factory but just google imaging it blasts you with anime graphics.
??????

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Xavier434 posted:

Yeah this is my feelings about both the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory series. Rune Factory just happens to tie in a bit more fantasy to the atmosphere is all. Both are really anime so I find it weird when people who are fans of Harvest Moon dislike Rune Factory for that reason.

:yeah:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the sprite and models in harvest moon games are very anime styled. they got big eyes and small mouth and anime sweatdrops.

look at this jesus christ

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hahaha yeaaaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
old harvest moon art was anime, it was just an older anime style (because the game is older). it'd be like me saying looney toons isn't western art because it doesn't have all the trappings of Flash-animated cartoons like incredibly thick outlines and solid colors that most modern western cartoons have.