Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

NancyPants posted:

Yeah it's maintenance-friendly because it's going to be in the garage all the drat time. A 911 is not a suitable DD, especially not a used one, and there is no point to spending $50k on one. I find it suspicious that he doesn't have a garage or a current project car if he's really such [quote="NancyPants" post="455468614"]
Yeah it's maintenance-friendly because it's going to be in the garage all the drat time. A 911 is not a suitable DD, especially not a used one, and there is no point to spending $50k on one. I find it suspicious that he doesn't have a garage or a current project car if he's really such a car hobbyist, but even if he is, spending no more than half that and having it as a real project car would be the way to go. Hobby car as a daily driver isn't a hobby, that's necessity.

Do it. I can't suggest it, he rightly doesn't trust me. But it'd be mortgage split 4 ways instead of 3. SAVINGS.

There are tons of people that daily drive 911s. Perhaps you have never been in the parking garage at a hospital before. I'm not saying it's a great idea for a guy making 60k, and maybe he lives somewhere snowy or something that could make it more impractical, but Porsche definitely has a brand reputation for both being comfortable and mechanically tolerant of daily driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
As a big car nut, I say please kill car chat or take it to a new thread, thanks.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Should I buy a 10 year old Honda Civic? With cash?

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
maybe that 50k car will finally fill the gaping emptiness inside of him

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
boy howdy I'd like to post some gaping emptiness right now

e: inside of someone else though

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I can't decide if I hate gun chat, car chat, or wedding chat more.

If only we could combine all these things into one.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
BFC is not GBS or YOSPOS or wherever you think you are!

Tigntink posted:

I can't decide if I hate gun chat, car chat, or wedding chat more.
(not you)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Impulse buying a chunk of land, then going "what am I going to do with it": Probably BWM.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/42sdqh/i_just_bought_6000_square_feet_of_land_as_an/ posted:

So, I've bought this piece of land in India. When I first saw this property I instantly pictured a nice Farmhouse on this land that I would eventually build. For a few days now, I've been thinking about all the different ways in which I can get a good return on this investment. What I've thought up of so far

build 3 houses (2000 Square Feet each) and sell them
build an apartment complex
wait for 5 years and then sell it

also, I've been thinking of giving 2000 square feet each to my elder sister and my younger sister and keep the remaining land for myself (not expecting any returns in this scenario).

What I'd like to know from you all is what else can be done with this piece of land in order to get good returns!

edit: India
Bonus: One of the comments links to a guy who spent $15k non-refundable deposit to climb Mt Everest, then asked how to train for it . (And naturally got mad when people said he was an idiot)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Haifisch posted:

Impulse buying a chunk of land, then going "what am I going to do with it": Probably BWM.

Bonus: One of the comments links to a guy who spent $15k non-refundable deposit to climb Mt Everest, then asked how to train for it . (And naturally got mad when people said he was an idiot)
From what my girlfriend's told me, members of her extended Indian family had to fly to India more than once to challenge companies trying to claim ownership of family land. Apparently naked land grabs being challenged in corrupt Indian courts are relatively common.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Update on houseboat guy for the lazy:

His apartment management company said his month-to-month arrangement wasn't going to fly, and was making tenants who wanted to stay on month-to-month payments pay $150/mo additional rent. Since the financed houseboat of his dreams could be just around the corner (this may involve putting it in the name of his IT side business LLC and calling it a business expense), OP was having none of that, and photoshopped the form to read "$10/mo" and handed it in, which the manager blindly turned in to the company and now has to honour, at least for the next two months (minimum agreed upon move-out/boot-out notice for each party). I'll give him that last bit for chutzpah, he was probably recalling a similar thing where a guy screwed over a credit card company with a similar trick.

tl;dr - he now has to move out in two months and is blacklisted from renting anything again from that company, some other possible fraud wrt the financing/insurance is on the horizon. He also casually dropped in liquidating his Roth IRA if things got hairy.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 27, 2016

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Update on houseboat guy for the lazy

It made me happy that he got so ecstatic about saving $280 for the small cost of eviction in 60 days. While trying to buy a house boat to save money.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pompous Rhombus posted:

OP was having none of that, and photoshopped the form to read "$10/mo" and handed it in, which the manager blindly turned in to the company and now has to honour,
IANAL, but I'm pretty sure that's not how contracts work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dik Hz posted:

Sure is.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
An acquitance who happens to be an "exotic dancer", likes to gofundme everything from her bicycles to now this.
She used to make 500-1000$ for a single night at work, then have nothing left in the next morning.

https://www.gofundme.com/amzmgg8s

quote:

I've done my best at raising 3 little ones on my own and I want to feel confident about my body. I am asking for help with plastic surgery. The first surgery will be breast augmentation. I know this isn't a dream that some would find necessary but I've wanted this for 6 years. I'm finished having babies and this is something I have wanted for myself. I am a provider, a people pleaser, and a mom. I have a hard time asking for anything and always put myself last. My children never want for anything and I raise them on my own. It's hard not to feel selfish for wanting something for myself but from what I've learned, we must also take care of ourselves. This is cosmetic and technically not necessary. But I would like to see my nude body and feel happy about it. This isn't to gain approval from others.

Many moms wish for things and don't ask or even try because society teaches us that our lives are over when we have children and bashes us for wanting anything nice for ourselves. But isn't it true that our lives truly begin once we have children? Isn't it true that we should strive for happiness and allow our children to see that being a mom isn't a death sentence to thriving? Shouldn't we lead by example and show them that they should chase their dreams, whatever they are? Wouldn't they want these things for mom? When I was a kid I would have done anything to see my mom happy. I would have even sacrificed my favorite toy. But I'm not asking for them to go without!

This surgery will help my confidence and generate a better income in my current career.That means more for all of us. I am still dancing but I start school in March. I'll be getting my paralegal degree. And I will strive to become an attorney! No, life doesn't end when you become a parent and we never know about tomorrow. I want my kids to learn to live life to the fullest and never to let anyone tell them for any reason that they should be anything less than happy. So help me without judgment please. Or please just move on if you have any hurtful words to share. I raise children, work hard, pay all of the bills, take care of our home and yard and errands, and more. I'm doing the work of 2 people. Please understand that I deserve to do something for myself and show support.

For all who show support and/or understanding, thank you, even if you're unable to help with any donation.

Also, it takes a great deal of courage to show my physical flaws publicly so please don't make fun or tell me it could be worse or that I don't need this. Love is encouraging and supportive. Why be anything else?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Dik Hz posted:

If the contract he photoshopped was already signed by the property manager then it would have arguably been grounds for fraud.

As it is he made a counter offer and the property manager accepted it. The fact that he didn't call out the changes in the contract doesn't alleviate the property manager from reading what is agreed to.

Jan 11, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

An acquitance who happens to be an "exotic dancer", likes to gofundme everything from her bicycles to now this.
She used to make 500-1000$ for a single night at work, then have nothing left in the next morning.

Oh dear

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

She has had other people pay for things she wants in the past, and is continuing to use that resource. Sounds pretty GWM to me.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

It's always good to invest in yourself :v:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/42wizg/help_me_show_my_husband_that_our_spending_habits/

Two people in a May to December have a combined take home of about 58k a year, 40k in retirement savings, a bunch of consumer debt and pretty rough spending habits and one wants to retire in a few years.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure you can claim boobs as a business expense if you're an exotic dancer.

Of course that assumes she's paying taxes and/or claiming enough of her tips to make 5k in deductions worthwhile.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Barry posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/42wizg/help_me_show_my_husband_that_our_spending_habits/

Two people in a May to December have a combined take home of about 58k a year, 40k in retirement savings, a bunch of consumer debt and pretty rough spending habits and one wants to retire in a few years.

Oof. The rough part of this is that the wife seems to "get it" while the husband is plugging his ears whenever she brings things up.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hoo boy. Sure would love to be roped to a 60 year old babby when I'm in the prime of my life.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
On the plus side, she'll probably still be under 50 when he kicks the bucket. On the downside, she won't inherit anything for her wasted youth.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
She seems to know the score pretty well and is basically just looking for some internet backup and relationship advice, but that dude seems like kind of a mess.

I ain't trying to hate on someone I've never met and true love and all that, but why you'd ever want to partner up with someone 22 years older than you is beyond me. She has 30 more years of work to look forward to while the husband she'll be cooking and cleaning for is retired and playing golf all day.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Divorce is probably a better solution to this womans problems than anything else.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Sounds like she's a people pleaser and he's a prototypical manchild, and the whole thing is tied up with a nice bow of codependence.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

If the contract he photoshopped was already signed by the property manager then it would have arguably been grounds for fraud.

As it is he made a counter offer and the property manager accepted it. The fact that he didn't call out the changes in the contract doesn't alleviate the property manager from reading what is agreed to.

Could you go into that a bit more? What would be the elements of the fraud?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
:siren: Bad With Money, As It Happens :siren:

Just got a message from my roommate who's on vacation in Italy. He ran out of money and needs me to send him some.

What a surprise. He hasn't paid me rent yet this month either, and he has no access to credit.

I've been letting him sweat for a couple of hours so far.

(cross-posted from GBS)

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Let him keep sweating. Don't send him anything.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Are you sure it's him? That's a pretty common scam with hacked emails, "help I'm on vacation and I got robbed, I need you to wire me $2,000 for the plane ticket home!!"

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Yep, it's definitely him.

Jan 11, 2004

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Just got a message from my roommate who's on vacation in Italy. He ran out of money and needs me to send him some.

What a surprise. He hasn't paid me rent yet this month either, and he has no access to credit.

(cross-posted from GBS)

Be careful this isn't a scam from a hacked facebook account in a hostel or something should you in fact decide to enable BWM

e;fb

Jan 11, 2004

Barry posted:

She seems to know the score pretty well and is basically just looking for some internet backup and relationship advice, but that dude seems like kind of a mess.

I ain't trying to hate on someone I've never met and true love and all that, but why you'd ever want to partner up with someone 22 years older than you is beyond me. She has 30 more years of work to look forward to while the husband she'll be cooking and cleaning for is retired and playing golf all day.

She seems to have her head around the issues but there is no denying that they're poor, broke and have thousands in debt on multiple credit cards despite her apparently being in control of the household finances for at least 5 years

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Could you go into that a bit more? What would be the elements of the fraud?

The key is that it's already been signed, but you're altering the document. Signing a document implies knowledge of the contents, which clearly somebody can't have if you've altered it.

For example, it's fraudulent to take a 100 dollar check that somebody's given you, scribble on it a little bit, and then go cash your 100,000 dollar check. It doesn't become less fraudulent just because it's a contract as opposed to a check.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
I'm thinking the building manager probably signed it without checking after the change was made. It's unlikely he checked it because a) apartment building managers are the laziest people on the planet and b) it was probably a boilerplate agreement that he's seen a million times. He probably just flipped right to the end and signed it. Not fraud if you have an opportunity to read before signing and then don't.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'm going to try that next time I buy a car by adding in some fine print about me owning the car dealership. Then flip it for a houseboat.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Yeah if anything houseboat guy is BWM for not putting some better terms in the agreement. If you are going to piss off your apartment manager at the very least put in a 1 year lease for $10 a month.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Rick Rickshaw posted:

(cross-posted from GBS)

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Including back-rent from January, and February's rent, AND the Vape I advanced him so he could smoke in his room without having his window open, he'll owe me $1759 when he gets back. A large portion of the cost of his trip, no doubt.

It's like I paid for him to go to Italy.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I sent the child some money. $200 is what he asked for.

The BWM is coming from inside the thread :tinfoil:

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 27, 2016

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm pretty sure you can claim boobs as a business expense if you're an exotic dancer.

Of course that assumes she's paying taxes and/or claiming enough of her tips to make 5k in deductions worthwhile.

Yep, but only under very particular circumstances: http://www.woodllp.com/Publications/Articles/pdf/Hess.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

Moneyball posted:

I'm going to try that next time I buy a car by adding in some fine print about me owning the car dealership. Then flip it for a houseboat.

The important difference is that a leasing manager reasonably has the authority to negotiate small changes in leases whereas a car salesman does not reasonably have the authority to transfer ownership of the business

• Locked thread