Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Go put your cowboy gear on you cav homos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

cav is, unironically and unequivocally, a cancer upon the army as an institution

give Bradleys to the infantry exclusively and force 19Ds to ride around on golf carts

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Justin Tyme posted:

the army is, unironically and unequivocally, a cancer upon the army as an institution

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh poo poo we get to hear about Mustang's spur ride whenever that happens

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Pesticide20 posted:

Oh poo poo we get to hear about Mustang's spur ride whenever that happens
Two words: ruck raft.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Joining the Army was the worst decision of my life. Crabs in a bucket. Power tripping. The kool-aid. 0630-1700 everyday and I know people will laugh and say that's it, but when you are literally doing nothing of value all day how can you feel good about yourself? I feel like a waste of space.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

reptileintheswamp posted:

Joining the Army was the worst decision of my life. Crabs in a bucket. Power tripping. The kool-aid. 0630-1700 everyday and I know people will laugh and say that's it, but when you are literally doing nothing of value all day how can you feel good about yourself? I feel like a waste of space.

So true. That and the constant "You won't make it in the real world." What the gently caress, am I in imagination land? I had a job and a place to live for years before joining. Joining was my way out of my shithole town.

Thanks but I'm sure I'll be fine. Between the 9/11 bill and medical disability I'll be making more than I did when I was in probably.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
military service is the single best uplifting opportunity that anybody middle class or lower can get

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Vasudus posted:

military service is the single best uplifting opportunity that anybody middle class or lower can get

Good one

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
When I was in I thought I would rather perform sex acts for ramen than be in the Army. A few months after I was out I was at the recruiters trying to get back in.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
*submits leave packet* haha gently caress you guys the army is great

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Vasudus posted:

This, seriously. I know we all love to be cynical assholes (nothing wrong with that), push the button, etc. but enlisting was, no poo poo, the best decision I ever made. Yes, the Army sucks and all that, but when your ETS rolls around and you peace out, you have a world of opportunities at your fingertips. poo poo, it's worth the suck even for Post-9/11 alone. You'll take a few years off of your life and lose some of your sanity, but a free ride to drat near any school is pretty good compensation IMHO.

Basically what I'm saying is FYGM peep yoga butts erryday.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I can't think of any possible options that have:

1. Low barrier for entry (HS Diploma + mostly okay mental/physical health)
2. Teach you a vocation that at the very worst will make you more appealing to employers, at best lead to immediate post-service employment in the high 5s / low 6 figures.
3. Provide you a very livable wage for someone with just a HS diploma, often considerably higher than your peers with the same qualifications
4. Give you a four year degree or more for free, with the GI Bill
5. Force you to move the gently caress out of your hometown

There's lots of options that might do one or two of these things, like the peace corps or americorps. But I challenge someone to find a better option that does all of these, and is immediately accessible to just about anyone.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

2. Teach you a vocation that at the very worst will make you more appealing to employers, at best lead to immediate post-service employment in the high 5s / low 6 figures.
3. Provide you a very livable wage for someone with just a HS diploma, often considerably higher than your peers with the same qualifications

There's lots of options that might do one or two of these things, like the peace corps or americorps. But I challenge someone to find a better option that does all of these, and is immediately accessible to just about anyone.

I see your point, and the military has done some great things for me and people I know (hell, the SCI alone was worth it), but I think we all know too many people who waste of their money, get out, move back to their hometown, don't bother with the GI bill, and then hang around the townie bar getting into fights with college students on Tuesdays.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

I see your point, and the military has done some great things for me and people I know (hell, the SCI alone was worth it), but I think we all know too many people who waste of their money, get out, move back to their hometown, and don't bother with the GI bill.

Oh absolutely, that's what I did a lot of my graduate work on.

The fact that people have chosen to squander the opportunity doesn't escape the fact that they had the options in the first place. The most tragic of cases are the people on the outside that have the desire, just not the option to do anything about their situation.

I would have been a carpenter if I didn't enter the Army.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'd probably be a cook or in jail

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

A lot of this is why, after years of never remotely considering the military, I'm suddenly talking to a recruiter. My current life situation isn't as dire as most peoples, since I have a degree, I have a job, it's possible for me to get promoted to a better paid position, and I already have traveled and done cool stuff with my life outside my hometown. But even though I could just keep doing my thing now, the military seems like a great career booster. I basically what I need over the next few years are: 1) money 2) all my student debt gone 3) management experience. Unless I get really lucky and finally hear back from my dream job, then going to OCS seems like my best option.

I hear a lot of mixed things about the military, but I'm also intimately familiar with how much the real world can suck. I'd rather get the pay and benefits to go along with the suck.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

tankadillo posted:

A lot of this is why, after years of never remotely considering the military, I'm suddenly talking to a recruiter. My current life situation isn't as dire as most peoples, since I have a degree, I have a job, it's possible for me to get promoted to a better paid position, and I already have traveled and done cool stuff with my life outside my hometown. But even though I could just keep doing my thing now, the military seems like a great career booster. I basically what I need over the next few years are: 1) money 2) all my student debt gone 3) management experience. Unless I get really lucky and finally hear back from my dream job, then going to OCS seems like my best option.

I hear a lot of mixed things about the military, but I'm also intimately familiar with how much the real world can suck. I'd rather get the pay and benefits to go along with the suck.

just don't enlist

officer stuff is a special brand of hell but it's nowhere near as bad as enlisting

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

tankadillo posted:

lol

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Vasudus posted:

just don't enlist

officer stuff is a special brand of hell but it's nowhere near as bad as enlisting

One of my best friends left school just before getting a degree and then enlisted because he felt it was his patriotic duty to fight for our freedom. He is currently unemployed and takes a handful of medications every morning to treat his multitude of mental disorders he developed in the Army and since he left.

Another best friend of mine is an officer and he complains about some stuff but overall he seems to like his job well enough.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Join the Coast Guard. Don't join the Army.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
what the gently caress is going on in these threads. theres some other rube in the marine thread talking about commissioning in there too

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Joining the army for any reason is stupid as hell, sorry.
There are other ways to advance that don't have a significant chance of totally ruining the rest of your life. The job potential for most MOS's when you get out isn't as great as others have made it out to be. An AA degree would likely make you just as qualified in most cases and have more earning power than any combat arms MOS would.

Vets aren't blowing their brains out at record rates or coming in here drunk posting about murder suicides because its such a great way out for the middle class.

The reality is if the Air Force or Navy won't take you, the likelihood of being able to turn the army into something useful once you are on the other side of yourcontract isn't so hot.

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 27, 2016

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm in the Navy because the Army wouldn't take me because of a pot charge

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
gently caress you if you've ever considered joining

gently caress you if you carried through

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fucitol posted:

gently caress you if you've ever considered joining

gently caress you if you carried through

gently caress us, one and all

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I'm in the Navy because the Army wouldn't take me because of a pot charge

What? I pissed hot at MEPS. I got in.

Vasudus posted:

just don't enlist

This. No matter what branch. Do NOT loving ENLIST. DO. NOT. loving. ENLIST.

Knock knock
*whos there?*
do not
*do not who?*
DO NOT loving ENLIST.

a horse walks into a bar and the bartender says "DO NOT FUCKIG ENLIST!"

Why did the chicken cross the road?
SO HE DID NOT loving ENLIST

What do you call three pregnant women on a Ferris wheel?

DO NOT loving ENLIST!

How many blondes does it take to mow a lawn

TRICK QUESTION! ENLISTED DO THAT poo poo!

If a Mexican a Japanese and an American DIDNT FUCKIN ENLIST

What do you tell a woman with two black eyes and is super depressed.

NOTHING. SHE IS ENLISTED AND IS PROBABLY REGRETTING A MAGNITUDE OF BAD DECISIONS MAINLY ENLISTING.

I guess what I'm saying is enlisting isn't a laughing matter.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i enlisted and i turned out ok i think

i was guard tho so im not full gay

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Soulex posted:

Knock knock
*whos there?*
do not
*do not who?*
DO NOT loving ENLIST.

DO NOT loving ENLIST!

NOTHING. SHE IS ENLISTED AND IS PROBABLY REGRETTING A MAGNITUDE OF BAD DECISIONS MAINLY ENLISTING.

OP plz

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i enlisted and i turned out ok i think

i was guard tho so im not full gay

Army National Guard: "Just The Tip, Just For A Second, Just To See How It Feels"

or

Army National Guard: Not Full Gay, Balls Didn't Touch

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I always loved caffine free diet army

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Soulex posted:

Same.

Pissed hot twice in a row at the recruiters and they just told me to drink a bunch of water before MEPS.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Soulex posted:

Knock knock
*whos there?*
do not
*do not who?*
DO NOT loving ENLIST.

DO NOT loving ENLIST!

Not sure what's going on here, but it looks like a whole bunch of silly nonsense.

Don't listen to these crazy people, tankadillo. You should totally enlist. In fact, you should enlist for 18X so that you can tell people you're going Special Forces and get that bomb-rear end street cred. Chicks will slob all over your knob if you do.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Naked Bear posted:

Not sure what's going on here, but it looks like a whole bunch of silly nonsense.

Don't listen to these crazy people, tankadillo. You should totally enlist. In fact, you should enlist for 18X so that you can tell people you're going Special Forces and get that bomb-rear end street cred. Chicks will slob all over your knob if you do.

If you don't make it during the 18X pipeline they give you a choice of starting over, or releasing as a civilian w/ no obligations. It's win/win, man.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just bring a six pack to selection. That's code for "this guy is cool" and you get your beret and tab right there.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

Join the Coast Guard. Don't join the Army.

This past summer, I took the wife and kids to the beach and we went out on one of those dolphin-watch trips. Coming back in, we saw the 2 Coast Guard patrol boats heading out and it occurred to me that I made a horrible mistake.

At 18, I could have enlisted in the Coast Guard, gone for some kind of small boat MOS and gotten stationed somewhere like South Padre Island, patroling the beaches, and then hanging out with the beach crowd any time I was off, then gone to college on GI Bill.

Instead I was at Virginia Tech learning to be.. an Army officer. :eng99:

Don't get me wrong, VT was awesome but it would have been even more awesome going through at 22 and running up a far smaller debt bill.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
the corps of cadets is for fags

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Has anyone taken the DLPT test? They are offering for me to take it and go for some refreshers and it's like an extra 200-400 on top of drill pay so I was going to take it... in french and spanish and later on, german.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I've always been of the opinion that the "you'll never make it in the real world!" types are exactly the types of people who stay in the army anyway because they're so loving functionally retarded they actually couldn't make it in the real world. How the gently caress does any enlisted person look around at range control/CIF/access control point guards, knowing they are all retired SGMs doing stupid government bitchwork making a pittance for how much time they have given to the Army, and decide that they wouldn't mind staying in and turning out like that some day?

I guess I am just pissed because I know so many people who actually had a decent brain in their head who could have made it in college decide to stay in to pay off their dumb sports car. It's the same thing with these people: They stay in to pay off some sort of debt and they tell themselves after it's paid they'll get out, but then they make E5/6 and see how less and less gay the army gets when you get a small amount of authority, they get a little more money per month (more than they ever have in their life!) and decide you know what, this isn't all that bad, and they never use their GI bill. It's tragic but hey, they might have been capable of getting a degree and a better life, but unfortunately now their brain's broke and the dumbass virus took hold.

In 2 years or so whenever I finish my mech. eng. degree and make more than they do starting, I'll rub it in their stupid loving "you'll never make it in the real world" faces.

• Locked thread