Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

holocaust bloopers posted:

Congratulations on your future career as a maintenance officer.

There's worse fates.

Like being enlisted maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

Airlines might be hiring now, but that doesn't help him any. The pilot commitment is 8 years starting when you get your wings. So roughly 10 years. And you're 3-4 years away from that.

Without weighing on whether you should join or not, the answer is that if you're going to, don't waste time. ROTC success is based largely on the cadre's opinion of you. If you wait until your junior year to transfer, you're WAY behind the curve. At that point they have 2 years of experience getting to know your peers; those peers have held "leadership" or staff positions, they've been involved in activities, they've gotten the hang of all the uniform gotchas and other basic crap. You're the new guy. And you've got maybe one semester to catch up to everyone else, maybe less. Do the cross-town thing, and be the standout from your school. Most of the others will probably do what they need to, because it's a hassle to get to the main detachment for "extra" activities (they're not extra, DO THEM). Don't dick around in your AS classes. Keep your grades and PT scores up (huge). Volunteer for things, try to get a staff job. A PPL wouldn't hurt.

As mentioned, you sign a contract to become an officer. You don't get your career field until after.

Yeah definitely join sooner rather than later if you're going to, I came in as a sophomore and it was a little painful learning all that mickey mouse business but I was fine. If you come in as a junior you're almost definitely not getting that pilot slot.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I've already completed one semester at my community college, but I think I'm going to retake those classes so I can up my GPA more and give myself time to entrench myself into the ROTC program.
What are the standards for scholarships?
If I retake the courses from my first semester, I could probably have a 4.0 going in to my sophomore year. On top of that I intend to be as involved as possible in the program.

Also, what are the chances for getting to pilot the plane you want if you get your pilot slot?
I guess class ranking would determine that but I don't really know, this is somewhat alien to me.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dude you should be very concerned about even nabbing a pilot slot before thinking about airframe. The odds are against you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Out of everyone in the air force, very few people fly planes.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I know there's a good chance I won't even get the pilot slot (if it's still what I even want at that point)
I'm just curious because different planes seem like they could lead to very different lifestyles in the Air Force.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's based on luck on what airframes are available at the time and class position. Rekinom or someone else, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, congratulations on your future security forces slot.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

It's based on luck on what airframes are available at the time and class position. Rekinom or someone else, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, congratulations on your future security forces slot.

Security forces sounds incredibly boring :(

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Fergus posted:

It's a real possibility though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Guess which one is more likely?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Fergus posted:

I know there's a good chance I won't even get the pilot slot (if it's still what I even want at that point)
I'm just curious because different planes seem like they could lead to very different lifestyles in the Air Force.

If you're smart, don't suck, and do plenty of bullshit "extra" things, then you've got a good shot. If you're talking about a scholarship, the AFROTC website has some information you should read. Technical and some foreign language majors do get priority for scholarships, so if you don't care or have some flexibility about what you're majoring in, definitely go for one of the identified "technical" majors. It's a huge boost for getting money from the government. Then again, remember that taking government money locks you into a contract with them.

As far as different planes go, when you get to UPT, there's several drop nights that I'm sure any pilot would be happy to explain in depth. The main point is, your performance in undergraduate pilot training counts for something but there's no guarantee that you'll get what you want, or even that what you want is available in any given class. Different planes are hugely different lifestyles, but generally all the various communities revolve around "how do i get my money, how do i get my alcohol, how much of my life do i spend flying and how much do i spend on pointless office bullshit."

If you're looking at mobility aircraft like the C-130 or C-17, the answers are, in order: go TDY as much as possible, drink as much as possible basically whenever you're not in crew rest, a whole lot of flight time (good for the airlines), and more pointless bullshit than our community can reasonably sustain.

edit: security forces is not boring because you've got 75 to 100 people under you and at least ten of them will be facing disciplinary action at any given time, so you'll find plenty of things to do!

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 26, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
One of them will probably be a rapist at some point too.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

One of them will probably be a rapist at some point too.

Only one is pretty optimistic.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

If you're smart, don't suck, and do plenty of bullshit "extra" things, then you've got a good shot. If you're talking about a scholarship, the AFROTC website has some information you should read. Technical and some foreign language majors do get priority for scholarships, so if you don't care or have some flexibility about what you're majoring in, definitely go for one of the identified "technical" majors. It's a huge boost for getting money from the government. Then again, remember that taking government money locks you into a contract with them.

As far as different planes go, when you get to UPT, there's several drop nights that I'm sure any pilot would be happy to explain in depth. The main point is, your performance in undergraduate pilot training counts for something but there's no guarantee that you'll get what you want, or even that what you want is available in any given class. Different planes are hugely different lifestyles, but generally all the various communities revolve around "how do i get my money, how do i get my alcohol, how much of my life do i spend flying and how much do i spend on pointless office bullshit."

If you're looking at mobility aircraft like the C-130 or C-17, the answers are, in order: go TDY as much as possible, drink as much as possible basically whenever you're not in crew rest, a whole lot of flight time (good for the airlines), and more pointless bullshit than our community can reasonably sustain.

edit: security forces is not boring because you've got 75 to 100 people under you and at least ten of them will be facing disciplinary action at any given time, so you'll find plenty of things to do!

I was already planning on doing Aerospace engineering, I've always been into planes and rockets. I've got no preference as far as to what I would be flying, I just want to fly and hang out with the squadron, that sounds fun as hell. And quite frankly even if I don't get pilot slot I would be happy just to be an officer in the military.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

All of them will probably be a rapist at some point too.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Fergus posted:

I was already planning on doing Aerospace engineering, I've always been into planes and rockets. I've got no preference as far as to what I would be flying, I just want to fly and hang out with the squadron, that sounds fun as hell. And quite frankly even if I don't get pilot slot I would be happy just to be an officer in the military.

This is going to be so precious.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Heh.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

xsf421 posted:

This is going to be so precious.

What? Is it the wanting to join the military? Or my oblivious nature?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Everybody I knew in afrotc who wanted to be a pilot and didn't wash out got a pilot slot :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fergus posted:

Literally every job in the Air Force aside from handing out basketballs at the gym involves you constantly getting poo poo on and being paid less than you're worth.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Literally every job in the Air Force aside from handing out basketballs at the gym involves you constantly getting poo poo on and being paid less than you're worth.

That doesn't really sound much different from my life so far.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Fergus posted:

That doesn't really sound much different from my life so far.

You know how right now you at least get to go home at the end of the day? You don't get that in the military. If your boss decides you're working 6am-10pm, you're going to be there. If you get called in on your day off? You're going in. I worked 60 hour weeks for months simply because someone in my work center got a dui and had their acces badge pulled, and the unit didn't feel like replacing them.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

xsf421 posted:

You know how right now you at least get to go home at the end of the day? You don't get that in the military. If your boss decides you're working 6am-10pm, you're going to be there. If you get called in on your day off? You're going in. I worked 60 hour weeks for months simply because someone in my work center got a dui and had their acces badge pulled, and the unit didn't feel like replacing them.

Man that sucks rear end, if we work past our normal hours we typically get a cut back during a slow day. Called in on a day off will earn you another day off, called in for an hour on the weekend, you better believe we are getting comp time for that. Shoot if my guys are on weekend duty standby I make sure they get comp time for waisting a weekend.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Join the Guard, you loving idiot.

http://www.guardreservejobs.com/newjobboard/

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

It's more of the "gently caress, jobs done, I'm going home to take off my pants and not see you loving assholes till Monday" airforce than the day's of chilling with the bros of the Starfighter days :

https://youtu.be/D5cEpoHLFOk

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Rek makes a good point, let us know what state you live in and we can tell you how to get a job flying with the air national guard and who to contact about it. I say tell us your state because most guard units prefer to hire locals.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Just don't hype up the military service and flying to something it's not. You're better off with an engineering degree and zero military service.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Think you have what it takes to be an Air Battle Manager instead?

lol

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I'm from California.
Also, I fully intend to complete my engineering degree. I really want to get in the aerospace industry, but not until my thirties at the earliest. I want to travel, make great friends, and quite frankly just escape from my life as it is.
I get that you guys think I'm naive, oblivious, etc. I am, there's no doubt.

edit: I can't imagine how dumb I actually seem right now

Fergus fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 27, 2016

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fergus posted:

Had a guy come in today because he's a flying training eliminee. Got him reclassed as a security forces officer.

He's going to Whiteman.

Fergus posted:

I'm from California.
Also, I fully intend to complete my engineering degree. I really want to get in the aerospace industry, but not until my thirties at the earliest. I want to travel, make great friends, and quite frankly just escape from my life as it is.

p. dumb.

It's like there's a thousand summer high school movies made about you.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Cali? Travis has a reserve unit with C-5s. Pros? Lots of time spent broken in the pacific. Cons? C-5s are massive pieces of poo poo and I hate them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Fergus posted:

I'm from California.

You're posting on a forum of military members and vets. We're all dumb here.

Just don't knock up a girl or go in tremendous debt. Do whatever you think is cool and fun. But seriously don't knock up some girl.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Had a guy come in today because he's a flying training eliminee. Got him reclassed as a security forces officer.

He's going to Whiteman.

He is going to absolutely love being in charge of a bunch of airman that sit in a 4x4 box, with a loaded weapon all day. Also the late night phone calls from the Shirt letting him know a couple of his Airman got caught having sex in a car, bathroom, field and all the wonderful alcohol incidents.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Rythe posted:

He is going to absolutely love being in charge of a bunch of airman that sit in a 4x4 box, with a loaded weapon all day. Also the late night phone calls from the Shirt letting him know a couple of his Airman got caught having sex in a car, bathroom, field and all the wonderful alcohol incidents.

You guys are making this seem more and more entertaining

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Sigh... effort post incoming... you all knew it was going to happen.

There are so many steps, but roughly here's how it works.

1) Join ROTC
2) Get a DoDMERB (medical to make sure you're pilot qualified - if not you can quit with no obligation and a lot did)
3) Get an EA slot to become an upper classman
4) Pass Field Training
5) Get a pilot slot
6) Graduate on time in the degree that the USAF approved
7) Commission
8) Attend Initial Flight Screening and not wash out
9) Start Air Force Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT)
a. Phase 1: Academics, several tests, 85% passing, fail 2 and you're out
b. Phase 2: T-6s: Puke more than a few rides in a row, and wash out. Don't solo after 16 hours, wash out. Can't fly formation and point with your elbows? Wash out.
c. Phase 3: T-1s/T-38s: Have less than a 1% wash out rate
10) Get your assignment, based on how well you performed and what is available for your class. Your 10 year commitment starts at UPT graduation.

Every step above is designed to skin a layer off the top. How much is dependent on local leadership and congressional funding. If you fail any of those, you either 1) won't commission 2) pay back by mandatory enlistment 3) reclassified with the needs of the Air Force. Enjoy being a Missileer using 60s technology in North Dakota.

So, for ROTC. I didn't do anything special and got a pilot slot. I did all four years, commuting from a CC for the first one. I was former Aerospace Engineering, (turned down a scholarship that would have locked me into the degree/graduation time), changed degrees again, and finally ended up a History major. I loved my time at a Community College, but it never gave me a chance to sample the real Engineering classes. The nail in the coffin was a sweet D in Calc 2. I was never offered a scholarship but got an EA because the Commander liked me. PPL and GPA matter the most. Degree is irrelevant for pilot selection, only to get offered a scholarship.

If you join the Guard/Reserve, you get to start at step 5 above. The problem is there will be 15-200 people competing for 2 slots, and one of them will be hired internally.

As for the cynics here, I'm one of them. The USAF will never have a shortage of people signing up, they have a problem getting people to stay. It's not that you're being told to work long hours or defend freedom, no one has a problem with that. It's that once you get past initial training, only 20% of your time will be spent flying. Sometimes less. Dudes are getting out after 10 years with 2500-3000 hours. Airline guys do that in 2-3 years. The consolation is that we are earning multi engine turbine Pilot in Command time, so we have a lot of solid hours earned debt free and the airlines know we're not gently caress ups (usually.)

I don't regret joining, I love flying with a passion. But honestly, I don't know if I'd do it again. I know if I never did, I would spend my entire life playing the "what if" game.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 27, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fergus posted:

A little of A, a little of B. Also, the "office" part of flying as an Air Force officer is 90% of what you'll do after the first year you're qualified and it blows. This forum will make so much more sense, I promise.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Dont be a pussy, join Security Forces.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

The Sheriff Jake posted:

Dont be a pussy, join Security Forces.

It's just like Army Infantry. No, really!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Fergus posted:

I'm from California.

Guess I'll post the unpopular opinion.

Take it all with a grain of salt. There are worse ways to kill a few years than military service, and there are rougher branches to be in than the Air Force. I can only assume that flying a (cool) plane is one of life's better experiences, but I'm a lowly enlisted pleb.

Even as a non-flying IT nerd, the Air Force has been more good than bad. I've lived in Italy and Germany, and some lovely places, too. For every mouth breathing retard I've met, there's been a hard charger to balance the scale. I've deployed a bunch, and I got to help the Army blow some poo poo up when I was embedded with them in Afghanistan. The Air Force provided me with quality technical education, and paid for my professional certifications. When I finally get out, the GI Bill will take care of my next degree.

If you just want a job, don't join up; the ancillary training and additional duties will kill your soul. If you want to be in the Air Force, do it. That's all it boils down to. When things suck - and life will suck at times - it sucks for everyone. Shared hardship makes for strong bonds. I'll be friends with my AF and Army buddies until the day I die. If you actually want to wear the uniform, you'll deal with the bad in order to enjoy the good. No matter how bad it gets, the Air Force can't stop time. One way or another, you'll be done eventually.

tl;dr Life sucks, roll with the punches, drink a lot, but don't get a DUI. That's how you succeed in the Air Force.

Also, everyone who responded to your question still posts regularly in a thread about the Air Force, often years after they left. Something to ponder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Arc Light posted:

Also, everyone who responded to your question still posts regularly in a thread about the Air Force, often years after they left. Something to ponder.

Either they have nothing better to do (Shim) or some vicarious fetish where they get off reading about stupid usaf poo poo. Stupid usaf poo poo they don't have to deal with anymore.

• Locked thread