Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

This thing that benefits Canada doesn't put a chicken in my pot so you can't have it.

Confederation, folks.

It doesn't benefit Canada. Only elites and, to a much lesser extent, a cadre of skilled labourers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

It doesn't benefit Canada. Only elites and, to a much lesser extent, a cadre of skilled labourers.

Those people are still very much a part of Canadian society, though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The labourers yes. LOL if you think you live in the same society as the rich.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It primarily benefits energy companies and their shareholders, the revenue it will generate for 'Canadians' is very small in comparison.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jm20 posted:

It primarily benefits energy companies and their shareholders, the revenue it will generate for 'Canadians' is very small in comparison.

Newsflash, moron: "ordinary Canadians" and shareholders of every Canadian company are one and the same.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PT6A posted:

Newsflash, moron: "ordinary Canadians" and shareholders of every Canadian company are one and the same.

I had no idea a foreign nationals holding Canadian company stocks were Canadian

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

jm20 posted:

I had no idea a foreign nationals holding Canadian company stocks were Canadian

They're not, but Canadians holding shares in Canadian companies are, and there are a lot of Canadians who are very significantly invested in Canadian companies. Stop pretending like shareholders have to be rich, mysterious people from exotic foreign lands. Harming our companies because it also disadvantages foreigners, which is what you seem to advocate, makes so little sense to me it makes me wonder if you're mentally defective.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Googling around for information on it just gets me shrill environmentalists and yee-haw corporate interests who claim that the project is either "cloning hitler terrible" or "the one thing that will save the spirit of christmas forever", so I don't really get it :(. I thought it would be good to let the energy sector make a little extra cash by selling our oil abroad, so they could pay taxes on it but then I remembered that this plan hinges on corporations and rich CEOs paying taxes.

In other news, the HRT has decided that our foster care system is discriminatory against Aboriginal people, which should surprise basically nobody because not even the Cons thought fighting this case head-on was a good idea so they spent most of their time kicking the can down the road. They're 5% of the population and 50% of the foster care system because of the awful conditions on the rez and grave underfunding of the social services that would ordinarily be there to protect kids in "white" neighbourhoods from being shuffled directly into foster care.

Let's see what the media are saying

quote:

But can we pay for it?

:yikes:

Maybe journalists' articles on that topic should be disabled.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

PT6A posted:

They're not, but Canadians holding shares in Canadian companies are, and there are a lot of Canadians who are very significantly invested in Canadian companies. Stop pretending like shareholders have to be rich, mysterious people from exotic foreign lands. Harming our companies because it also disadvantages foreigners, which is what you seem to advocate, makes so little sense to me it makes me wonder if you're mentally defective.

I don't need to advocate against pipelines, Canadians outside of the praries are vastly opposed to new pipelines to begin with.

I wish you all the best if you both live in mordor, and have large focus on mordor stocks (or secondary exposure) in your portfolio. A lack of diversity seems to be the Alberta way.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

Why should the health of the commons be jeopardized for the pocket books of a tiny number of Canadians, especially Canadians who would not be inconvenienced by any environmental impact resulting from this pipeline?

The mayor is saying that the risks outweigh the rewards for Montreal. It's the same calculus an investor should make before they enter the market. Montreal has no more obligation to get on board than Joe Investor does to buy TransCanada stock.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 26, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Ordinary Canadians" represent a small proportion of the value held in companies like that.

I'd rather we just give the "ordinary Canadians" cash directly and not also funnel a much larger amount of cash to rich people. EvilJoven is spot on.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Capitalism is great when people with no financial interest in my project willing give me what I need for free.

- Canadian Rockefeller

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

the trump tutelage posted:

Why should the health of the commons be jeopardized for the pocket books of a tiny number of Canadians, especially Canadians who would not be inconvenienced by any environmental impact resulting from this pipeline?

The mayor is saying that the risks outweigh the rewards for Montreal. It's the same calculus an investor should make before they enter the market. Montreal has no more obligation to get on board than Joe Investor does to buy TransCanada stock.

Gawrsh, I wonder where the 9.2 billion in equalization payments that Quebec got in 2014-15 came from. I'm with Wynne on this one, it's time for Canada to stop trying to be a first world country and accept no embrace our place as an oily banana republic.

quote:

Wynne's important voice countered the anti-pipeline sentiments emerging from Quebec.

“We appreciate that there's a need for a way to get Canadian oil that is allowed under Alberta's new emission cap to overseas market,” Wynne said Friday. “The people of Ontario care a great deal about the national economy and the potential jobs that this proposed pipeline project could create in our province and across the country.”

Wynne met with Alberta Premier Rachel Notley in Toronto Friday where they discussed climate change and Energy East, a proposed 4,600-kilometre pipeline to carry oil to eastern Canadian refineries and a marine terminal.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

On top of what others have said, I would think the "what's good for the oil industry is good for Canada" canard would have long exhausted its rhetorical power given how much havoc the inevitable result of a single-minded focus on resource extraction has been for the Albertan and Canadian economies. What reason, other than, "can't stop this train we're on!" is there to make such a concerted rush to export Canadian oil in a such a depressed worldwide oil market?

No poo poo Montreal would rather buy $30 oil from overseas than gamble on a trans-Canadian pipeline to help extract from the oilsands. When oil is like it is, what fool would be in such a rush to sell?

Alberta was the first province to balk at the idea of equalization payments and judging things from anything other than a strictly provincial perspective when it was flush with oil wealth, and now it pins its arguments to the idea that a pipeline is good for the "Canadian economy". Get the gently caress out of here.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Ban oil imports, nationalize the oil industry, use price fixing and profits to support nuclear and green power.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

DariusLikewise posted:

Ban oil imports, nationalize the oil industry, use price fixing and profits to support nuclear and green power, get sued into national bankruptcy under NAFTA

ftfy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Total autocracy, communism in one country.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Ikantski posted:

Gawrsh, I wonder where the 9.2 billion in equalization payments that Quebec got in 2014-15 came from. I'm with Wynne on this one, it's time for Canada to stop trying to be a first world country and accept no embrace our place as an oily banana republic.
Those poor beleaguered TransCanada shareholders :(

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The real irony here being that if Alberta didn't have such a hardon for tough guy rhetoric from it's leaders then maybe the federal Conservatives would have actually reached out to to environmental groups. I'm willing to be bet it would have been pretty easy to entice some business friendly dudes with some limited environmentalist credentials and co-opted them into supporting Canada's "ethical" source of oil. Maybe appoint somebody to a a government commission, promise a future senate appointment, provide government grants, etc. A charm offensive might have also worked wonders on American environmentalists too.

But Albertans -- or rather, a majority of the Albertans who both to vote -- really swooned over politicians who pretended that they could force America or the rest of Canada to accept these pipelines through sheer grit and gumption. And now that this has fallen apart plan B is apparently to whine and moan about equalization payments.

You know what the reward for equalization payments is? The possibility of receiving them in the future, when you need them. This is like complaining that the government won't pay for you to renovate your house even though you've been paying into Employment Insurance for years dagnabit!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Maybe if pipelines were actually well built and well monitored people wouldn't care about them. Instead you have lovely companies spilling bitumen around the country because they don't want to spend the overhead to actually run the system properly.

Canadian companies are like Canadian landlords - slum lords that maximize revenue and extract all money from the business to buy truck equity while letting the infrastructure crumble until the whole business fails at which point they walk away, blame taxes and let someone else clean up their mess.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You know how capitalists and libertarians are always going on about how the market is self regulating and a company that makes a defective product doesn't need regulation, the market will simply put it out of business?
Canada being brutally anti-pipeline is a direct example of this situation actually for once working. After so many leaks, so many defective pipes, coverups, and lies, the people don't want to buy this product anymore. The extra ironic thing is that if the oil industry and its pipelines were actually regulated much more by the government they wouldn't have had all their disasters, the public would feel safer about them, and more would probably be being built right now. But capital is mostly made up of idiots with the empathy and long term planning skills of a spoiled 2 year old. They got their way, they got to mostly "self-regulate", and now they're crying about the direct results of their actions.

The oil industry made their bed and they can loving lay in it. Get hosed alberta, get hosed oil industry. The market has spoken.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Helsing posted:

The real irony here being that if Alberta didn't have such a hardon for tough guy rhetoric from it's leaders then maybe the federal Conservatives would have actually reached out to to environmental groups. I'm willing to be bet it would have been pretty easy to entice some business friendly dudes with some limited environmentalist credentials and co-opted them into supporting Canada's "ethical" source of oil. Maybe appoint somebody to a a government commission, promise a future senate appointment, provide government grants, etc. A charm offensive might have also worked wonders on American environmentalists too.

As you say. And not to trot out the old cliche, but it wasn't so long ago that tough-guy Western politician went hand-in-hand with principled conservationism. There's nothing contradictory about conservatives promoting environmentalism except that it clashes with the modern Conservative desire to extract the maximum amount of revenue per quarter as quickly as possible.

Helsing posted:

You know what the reward for equalization payments is? The possibility of receiving them in the future, when you need them. This is like complaining that the government won't pay for you to renovate your house even though you've been paying into Employment Insurance for years dagnabit!

After the oil is gone, and Alberta's (and Saskatchewan's) GDP per capita falls to match that of Manitoba, will Albertans still drat the equalization payments scheme? Who am I kidding? Profitable oil exports will last forever!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

A decade ago Preston Manning and Mike Harris authored a series of position papers released by the Fraser Institute that laid out a blueprint for a future conservative policy agenda. It's mostly boilerplate stuff like shrinking the size of government relative to GDP and restoring democratic fairness (this was back at the tail end of when people thought the federal Liberals would be in charge forever) but one thing that stood out -- and I admit I'm going by memory here because I don't want to dig through those papers right now -- was a call for a new NAFTA style internal Federal government agency that would demolish internal barriers to trade. In other words the principle architects behind the politicization of western resentment was now calling for a new government agencies dedicated solely to over riding provincial economic independence.

It pretty much sums up Canadian conservatism to me, at least as an organized political movement. "The federal government has no place preventing the private delivery of healthcare, but they really should be doing more to over ride provincial objections to oil pipelines."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's almost like there isn't a consistent core set of genuine ideology or ethics guiding conservatives, it's almost, dare I say, as if it was entirely self serving business interests willing to say or do anything to enrich them selves and their friends in the short term at the cost of the country and it's people as a whole.

(note this mostly applies to all other parties as well, specially the liberals)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Actually I found it pretty quickly with google:

We must restore democratic accountability by allowing privatized healthcare!

quote:

We believe that the solution to providing better health care in
Canada lies with the principles we discussed at the beginning of this paper.
Canadians need more freedom of choice in health-care services. They
should not be limited by a government monopoly over service provision.
This holds even in areas where insured services are covered by government.
Government and its agencies need not run hospitals any more than doctors
need to be civil servants. Allowing Canadians to choose in this vital
area will also allow them to assume more responsibility for health care
by choosing the best providers for the services they want, not the ones
government decides.

A key problem in health-care provision relates to our third principle,
the importance of well-functioning democratic institutions. We believe
the erosion of the ability of provinces to make policy in their own areas of
constitutional authority has created many of the problems that character-
ize our health-care system. Thus, restoring provincial responsibility will
lead to policies that enhance individual freedom and responsibility, and
better health care.

But we also need the Supreme Court to tell us exactly how quickly we can ram development projects down the throats of local government.

quote:

recommendations

The abolition of costly and unproductive barriers to internal trade would
significantly enhance the performance of the Canadian economy, both
at home and in its international competitiveness. To that end, we recommend
the following measures.

1 Formal acceptance by all provincial and territorial governments and the
federal government of the principle of an open domestic market
The purpose of such acceptance would be to establish that all Canadian
governments accept that measures they undertake must not operate as
barriers to trade, investment, and worker mobility. The governments
would agree to:

 establish rules to define what would be considered a barrier; these
might be similar to those in the current AIT;

 define under what circumstances a measure presenting a barrier to
trade might be permitted; this could be based on the “legitimate
objective” provision in the AIT;

 remove or change any measures, policies, or practices that create an
unjustifiable barrier;

 support the creation of a quasi-judicial Canada Internal Trade Tribunal
to enforce the foregoing trade rules;

 commit themselves to taking the necessary legislative steps to ensure
that these rules can be enforced in relation to measures in
their jurisdiction.

2 The establishment of a Canada Internal Trade Tribunal
The purpose of the Tribunal would be to enforce the trade rules established
under the principle of an open domestic market. It would be a standing
tribunal that would hear complaints from individuals, businesses, or governments
against measures that may be barriers to trade, investment, and
worker mobility.

It is assumed that governments will continue to enter into multilateral
and bilateral agreements on matters such as public-sector procurement.
The Tribunal could also provide an enforceable dispute-resolution
mechanism for these agreements.

Ideally an existing body, such as the Canadian International Trade
Tribunal, could serve as the Internal Trade Tribunal. A legal basis for the
Tribunal we propose might be found under the federal power to legislate in
relation to interprovincial trade. If not, it should be established by interprovincial
agreement under the auspices of the Council of the Federation.

3 The establishment of a Canada Internal Trade Council
The purpose of the Internal Trade Council would be to provide an advisory
and political forum for issues not covered by the general agreement
referred to in Recommendation 1 above. As such, it should be made up of
ministerial representatives from all governments.

Not all impediments to trade will be susceptible to challenge before
the Internal Trade Tribunal. Issues such as public-sector procurement,
business registration, and disclosure requirements affect the domestic
market but will require a separate specific agreement to resolve. The same
applies to many regulatory regimes that are better reconciled by agreement
than through challenge before a panel.

The role of the Internal Trade Council would be to monitor the
performance of Canada’s internal market, identify issues and impediments
that need to be resolved, sponsor initiatives including multilateral
and bilateral agreements, and resolve these issues. The Council would
issue annual public reports to governments and to the Council of the
Federation.

4 Investigation of federal constitutional powers in internal trade
Throughout the Canada Strong and Free series, we have vigorously argued
that Ottawa should respect the division of powers in Canada’s Constitution
and stop interfering in areas of provincial jurisdiction. In internal
trade, on the other hand, Ottawa has declined to use its own constitutional
powers, which are admittedly unclear, to remove interprovincial
trade barriers.

Unfortunately, the use of this power involves a more difficult question
than may first appear. Few trade barriers are erected specifically as
“trade barriers,” even if that is their intent. Instead, they are typically
enacted under the guise of consumer protection or some other provincial
power. Removing such barriers could thus be interpreted as an intrusion
on provincial responsibility.

We recommend a federal reference to the Supreme Court asking
it to clarify, first, the extent of the present federal commerce power (i.e.,
the power of the federal government under the present Constitution to
strike down interprovincial barriers to trade) and, second, what kind of
amendment would be required, if necessary, to give the federal government
that power.

The guy who lead the freak out over the constitution in the 1990s is now calling for conservatives to investigate an amendment to make it easier to over ride local government.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Hey look, the CPC leader is willing to have the party dragged kicking and screaming into giving up on one of their horrible policies:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rona-ambrose-same-sex-marriage-ban-1.3420219

I'm sure in a few years they will congratulate themselves for being so progressive on this (while holding their noses when nobody is looking). :bahgawd:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

jm20 posted:

and have large focus on mordor stocks (or secondary exposure) in your portfolio. A lack of diversity seems to be the Alberta way.

A diversified portfolio, according to your average Albertan investor:

"I own stocks in senior oil companies, junior oil companies, midstreamers, service companies and pipelines!" :downs:

Helsing posted:

But Albertans -- or rather, a majority of the Albertans who both to vote -- really swooned over politicians who pretended that they could force America or the rest of Canada to accept these pipelines through sheer grit and gumption. And now that this has fallen apart plan B is apparently to whine and moan about equalization payments.

Jesus, this is, like always, pretty much spot on. It really shouldn't come as a surprise to Albertans, the province of "let those eastern bastards freeze in the dark!" that when we come asking for a pipeline, hat in hand, that we're told, "good, let those Albertan fucks starve on the streets!"

Perhaps if the NEP was still around, things might have gone differently...

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

DariusLikewise posted:

Ban oil imports, nationalize the oil industry, use price fixing and profits to support nuclear and green power.

Baronjutter posted:

Total autocracy, communism in one country.

this is what i'm talkin about

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
We need to restore states provincial rights

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Apparently Rick Mercer has a little too much of his portfolio invested in energy stocks.

https://www.facebook.com/rickmercerreport/videos/10153335293597196/

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

:lol:

Sure thing Rick. Shipping a million barrels of oil a day through Quebec via pipelines that have a history of spills has "nothing to do with Quebec".

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

MrChips posted:

A diversified portfolio, according to your average Albertan investor:

"I own stocks in senior oil companies, junior oil companies, midstreamers, service companies and pipelines!" :downs:

Jesus, this is, like always, pretty much spot on. It really shouldn't come as a surprise to Albertans, the province of "let those eastern bastards freeze in the dark!" that when we come asking for a pipeline, hat in hand, that we're told, "good, let those Albertan fucks starve on the streets!"

Perhaps if the NEP was still around, things might have gone differently...

"Let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark!" was godawful policy and no way to run or be part of a country. Unsurprisingly, it's just as stupid and arbitrary when the shoe is on the other foot.

Western Canadian Select presently trades at a $20/bbl (Canadian) discount relative to West Texas International. This is because 1) it requires more refining, due to its denser nature and higher sulphur levels and 2) it's in Hardisty, Alberta, not the Gulf of Mexico.

With about 2.3 million bbl/day production out of the oil sands, we're talking about nearly $17 billion a year in value lost, every year, because we lack the refining capacity and transportation capacity to deal with it. That extra value is presently being captured by transportation companies and by American refineries, neither of which contribute much to the Canadian economy and both of which just funnel money to rich shareholders. (Some of it is also reflected in higher demand for shipping by CP Rail, which would come at the expense of anyone else who needs to ship anything.)

Creating pipelines to the West and East coasts makes perfect sense to me. Access to tidewater would greatly increase the value of the product, and one presumes that cheap hydroelectricity and large labour forces in Quebec and BC would be advantageous for the creation of refining infrastructure:

Frankly I think that there are two serious issues to overcome:

1) making sure that the aforementioned $17bn/year actually finds its way back into the Canadian economy equitably (because I do think that the other provinces should get something, one way or another), and
2) ensuring that the pipelines don't leak.

Of course we seem to have had an unwise preference for exportation of unimproved product of late. The Tyee informs me that raw timber exports from BC increased by a factor of more than 30 from 1997 to 2013 (with most of this since 2009), apparently because Canadians can't do anything right.

E: I should add that, back in the 1950s, we had the greatest refining capacity of any country not named the USA or USSR.

Helsing posted:

We were actually part way there before the late 1990s / early 2000s double whammy of NAFTA coming into effect and the commodity / housing booms sucking up all the investment capital.

*snip*

Our own past record indicates we could be doing a lot better than we currently are doing.

It's really astonishing that we don't even discuss these issues any more. We could blame the political establishment in general because they're all complicit, but really that's how we should expect the Liberals and Conservatives to act. So mostly I blame the NDP because they should know better.

I've added emphasis to Helsing's statement. As far as I'm concerned, this is the biggest issue facing Canada today. Without a functioning economy, social progress on any number of issues is all but impossible.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 26, 2016

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

David Corbett posted:

Frankly I think that there are two serious issues to overcome:

1) making sure that the aforementioned $17bn/year actually finds its way back into the Canadian economy equitably (because I do think that the other provinces should get something, one way or another), and
2) ensuring that the pipelines don't leak.

I would think that the most serious issue to overcome is that of carbon emissions. Canada has now kind of sort of committed to limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees. Under 2 degree scenarios it was already estimated that roughly 80% of the tar sands oil would have to stay in the ground. Building more pipelines allows for faster extraction. Any climate activist worth their salt is going to oppose any new pipeline. That's not stupid and arbitrary.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

This is all your fault, loving stingy millennials and wage slaves! :bahgawd:

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Duck Rodgers posted:

I would think that the most serious issue to overcome is that of carbon emissions. Canada has now kind of sort of committed to limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees. Under 2 degree scenarios it was already estimated that roughly 80% of the tar sands oil would have to stay in the ground. Building more pipelines allows for faster extraction. Any climate activist worth their salt is going to oppose any new pipeline. That's not stupid and arbitrary.

Global warming is driven by the world's demand for energy, not its supply. A barrel of crude not extracted in Canada is simply going to get extracted and burned up somewhere else. The vast majority of oil's carbon emissions are produced at end use, not at extraction. Trying to end global warming by cancelling domestic pipeline construction feels to me like trying to end the drug trade by bombing a handful of cocaine fields in South America.

Besides, if priced properly, the extra money extracted from a domestic infrastructure will end up mostly outside of the upstream sector and so shouldn't boost production too much. If anything, shipping oil by pipeline rather than by rail and refining it in new plants might even cut carbon emissions.

Canada has less than 0.5% of the world's population. As standards of living increase, our contribution to global carbon emissions should eventually regress towards that amount. The story on anthropogenic global warming isn't going to be written here, no matter how hard we try.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Haha holy poo poo you dumb assholes think that there is literally nothing wrong with interprovincial trade barriers.

Now I know who voted against the BC hst.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Helsing posted:

:lol:

Sure thing Rick. Shipping a million barrels of oil a day through Quebec via pipelines that have a history of spills has "nothing to do with Quebec".

I especially liked his "have not province" bash in his video with the stupid camera style.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I don't particularly care if the shareholders are Canadian or foreign or how much they pay in tax. I don't care if the pipes leak or not, if the tankers have 2 hulls or 20. That carbon has to stay in the ground, and Canada needs to stop hinging its national ambitions upon an unburnable fuel source. That outweighs whatever monetary benefit might trickle down to me someday if the projects go ahead. (And let's be real, that benefit would amount to jack poo poo.) It would be better in the long run to just put all the labourers on welfare until they can find other work.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

Haha holy poo poo you dumb assholes think that there is literally nothing wrong with interprovincial trade barriers.

Now I know who voted against the BC hst.

It's way too early on a Tuesday evening for you to already be this drunk CI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

David Corbett posted:

Global warming is driven by the world's demand for energy, not its supply. A barrel of crude not extracted in Canada is simply going to get extracted and burned up somewhere else. The vast majority of oil's carbon emissions are produced at end use, not at extraction. Trying to end global warming by cancelling domestic pipeline construction feels to me like trying to end the drug trade by bombing a handful of cocaine fields in South America.

Besides, if priced properly, the extra money extracted from a domestic infrastructure will end up mostly outside of the upstream sector and so shouldn't boost production too much. If anything, shipping oil by pipeline rather than by rail and refining it in new plants might even cut carbon emissions.

Canada has less than 0.5% of the world's population. As standards of living increase, our contribution to global carbon emissions should eventually regress towards that amount. The story on anthropogenic global warming isn't going to be written here, no matter how hard we try.

Why would climate activists limit their tactics to the demand side only, especially when Oil companies have been some of the largest opponents to meaningful climate policy? Anything that hurts the bottom line of oil companies is a good thing, if only because they'll have less money to spend on lobbying. Plus climate change activism is multifaceted, it targets demand and supply.

I don't really know what the point of the bolded is. We should just sit back and relax because our relative contribution to climate emissions will eventually be a small part of the total? Climate change (and environmental problems in general) is a production and consumption problem first and foremost, not a population problem. Canadians use a huge amount of resources right now, and historically. We should fix that.

e: https://ricochet.media/en/893/court-solidarity-for-activists-who-took-direct-action-against-enbridges-line-9

Duck Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 27, 2016