Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

He's worked on nearly every 2d Metroid. I say cut him some slack, he's worked on a lot of good games

I think the problem was that people did cut him a lot of slack, and the result was other m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hes a good guy to have on a team; but with complete creative control he just goes out of control with stupid bullshit.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

He's worked on nearly every 2d Metroid. I say cut him some slack, he's worked on a lot of good games

Yeah, and give him a game where he has complete creative control over the characters/story/controls and look what he ends up with!

I say good riddance.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess it's just weird to me that 25 years of making good games means nothing to people after you make one really bad one

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess it's just weird to me that 25 years of making good games means nothing to people after you make one really bad one

Other M is a fairly exceptionally bad game that really shouldn't have been and for good or ill a lot of that is directly on him, with Team Ninja having said they wanted less dumb decisions and were told otherwise and even the awkward translation being dictated by him.

It's rare to have a singular guy who is so easy to blame for the problems in a game so it stands out.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I say good riddance.

He still makes games. Just not Metroid. (No one does)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

He still makes games. Just not Metroid. (No one does)

Next Level is gonna save Metroid with Federation Force

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Next Level is gonna save Metroid with Federation Force

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's the same exact deal as george lucas with the star wars films

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i picked up okami for the wii.

this is a really fun game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Looper posted:

if other m is the star wars prequel trilogy, then fusion is american graffiti

the federation force awakens

FirstAidKite posted:

It's the same exact deal as george lucas with the star wars films

:chord:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
hey looper gently caress off

but i think metrid games are dead forever and they
ll just use the universe to sell mini games at full price

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
If they can bring Starfox and Chibi Robo back, they can bring Metroid back.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Can I get a goon opinion on Dokapon Kingdom? If I really dig Fortune Street and Culdcept, is that game going to be in the same neighborhood, gameplay wise? Any devious rubber banding by AI, or horrible "everybody wins" mechanics ala Mario Party?

It's worth a shiny nickle on eBay but I'm willing to splurge if it's a great board game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Federation Force will be good, even if it's not what we wanted from a new game in the Metroid universe

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dokapon Kingdom is the game you break out when you want to get all of your friends to hate each other. It'e a very simple Mario Party-RPG hybrid that encourages you to be a massive dick. It can be fun, but an actual game takes forever to play. If you're playing with AI, good luck because the AI in that game is brutal.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Dokapon Kingdom is the game you break out when you want to get all of your friends to hate each other. It'e a very simple Mario Party-RPG hybrid that encourages you to be a massive dick. It can be fun, but an actual game takes forever to play. If you're playing with AI, good luck because the AI in that game is brutal.

Brutal as in it gives itself a bunch of unfair advantages on the fly, or that it makes really clever plays?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm looking for good games for 3+ people. Mario Kart, Smash, and 3D World are the obvious answers, and I've had a good experience with Game & Wario. Is there anything else really worthwhile out there?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Runbow is good plus cheap

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'm looking for good games for 3+ people. Mario Kart, Smash, and 3D World are the obvious answers, and I've had a good experience with Game & Wario. Is there anything else really worthwhile out there?

Everyone forgets poor Nintendoland. The best and most underappreciated title on the system.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr Cheeto posted:

New Super Mario Bros U allows up to 5, and the person who's less good at the game gets to mess around on the tablet and help everybody else out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Mario Party 10 and NSMBU/NSLU are all great for a bunch of people.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean, this is the same thread that won't stop whining that Miyamoto ruined Paper Mario because his "surveys showed that people didn't like the long winded plot of SPM" was taken by IntSys as "Well then let's just scrap the story entirely along with fun characters and reasonable, fun gameplay"

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is kind of strange. I'm not really sure if it entirely sells me on its basic caveat--like, the co-op actually largely invalidates your main movement system and you'd have so much better control of everything if you just used the stylus to make platforms and played like the Waddle Dees do.

The game is very pretty and cute and charming but the gameplay seems lacking somehow.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr Cheeto posted:

What you said, plus definitely Runbow, and maybe D&D: Chronicles of Mystara if you're into that sort of thing

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

SRM posted:

If they can bring Starfox and Chibi Robo back, they can bring Metroid back.

They brought Chibi Robo back? My understanding was that they killed him forever.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Nintendo Land and Wii Party U have already been mentioned because they are awesome. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is another one that has been largely forgotten since the release of MK8, but I think the Wii U got the best version of it, actually. Art of Balance, Runbow, and STARWHAL are all great multiplayer eShop games if you want something a little cheaper.

And I think we can all accept that there won't be a real Metroid game this generation period. Please continue to get your hopes up that some iteration of the NX will launch with a Metroid title instead.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, and give him a game where he has complete creative control over the characters/story/controls and look what he ends up with!

I say good riddance.

Keep Sakamoto away from Metroid and Miyamoto the gently caress away from Mario RPGs

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

cram me sideways posted:

Brutal as in it gives itself a bunch of unfair advantages on the fly, or that it makes really clever plays?

Someone attempted to do luck manipulation on it and discovered that things like your rolls and attack damage are determined well before you get to make a choice. The AI knows pretty much everything in advance and plans all moves according to the most effective method of destroying you.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

hey looper gently caress off

but i think metrid games are dead forever and they
ll just use the universe to sell mini games at full price

oh hey noirstronaut, didn't see you there buddy

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

cram me sideways posted:

Can I get a goon opinion on Dokapon Kingdom? If I really dig Fortune Street and Culdcept, is that game going to be in the same neighborhood, gameplay wise? Any devious rubber banding by AI, or horrible "everybody wins" mechanics ala Mario Party?

It's worth a shiny nickle on eBay but I'm willing to splurge if it's a great board game.

Dokapon Kingdom is a really cool idea for a game, and if you get it you'll probably play it a bunch trying to find the fun, but it's not a good game.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

cram me sideways posted:

There is a an "everybody wins" mechanic but only because by the end of the week we spent attempting to finish the game the game had broken our bonds of friendship and we'd rebuilt them again stronger than before so we worked together to end the hold the game had over our souls.

(Seriously, the "story" mode was really long and lasted longer because we were all trying to dick each other over. After a week, we just wanted it to end so we worked together to destroy the last boss just to be free.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Instant Sunrise posted:

i picked up okami for the wii.

this is a really fun game.

Okami is cool and good and you made a good decision.

Help Im Alive posted:

For me, it's the fact that this one bad game took a massive poo poo on a really cool character that I like a lot. And the fact that Sakamoto had pretty much full control over the game. So, that's how he's seen Samus all along: a 5-ft nothing demure delicate flower with daddy issues.

gently caress him.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Takoluka posted:

Someone attempted to do luck manipulation on it and discovered that things like your rolls and attack damage are determined well before you get to make a choice. The AI knows pretty much everything in advance and plans all moves according to the most effective method of destroying you.

Oh barf. That's loving horrible. I'll pass, then. Must not be a very strong game on its own merits if you've got to give the AI that much of an advantage.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

cram me sideways posted:

It's really interesting. As far as board games go, it's problematic, with a lot of luck based elements saying "you lose stuff" or "you get stuff". Over the course of a full game it evens out somewhat, except that there could still be some really crucial moments that fall to luck. Still, all in all, those who fall behind have a good chance to catch up, and smart play can overcome luck by a large amount.

As far as RPGs go, it's a pretty simplified system: you only have a few commands at your disposal, there are only five stats, and the primary mechanic is an interestingly weighted Rock Paper Scissors matchup (Each round, the attacker chooses from Attack, Magic, or Strike, and the defender chooses from Defend, Magic Defense, or Counter. The relative powers of each action compared to each defense depend strongly on stats, abilities, and equipments, so it's not really cut and dry). Still, there's a lightweight job system and an equipment treadmill and oodles of consumables, so there's a bit of depth there.

The big thing with Dokapon is how they come together, for better or for worse. The board game aspect gives a context for the RPG elements: you're not just leveling to beat the Big Bad, but also to deal with short term goals, and you have to balance spending money and item slots on stuff to help you versus stuff to achieve the chapter goal versus stuff to hurt your fellow players, and the risk of losing items lends an excellent counter to Megalixir Syndrome. The RPG parts provide a method for players to actually interact with each other and counterplay each other without necessarily mandating direct interaction.
However, the bad comes with this as well. The game can go on for a while: 30-40 hours for a 2 player game, add on 10-20 for each player if you're doing a full story mode run (which I suggest). Additionally, if you want a "pure" competitive RPG experience, it can feel demoralizing to lose progress due to luck (the trick is recognize what character elements are volatile and which ones aren't: very little will affect donations or quests for the king, stats are, outside of one minor event, immune to loss, as are character/jon levels, but items, money, and to a less extent equipment and towns can be lost at a moment's notice), and the game strongly recommends attacking your fellow players.

As a single player experience, I can't recommend it unless you're looking for a very strange sort of RPG: the AI isn't super cheaty even on the highest levels, but they do manage to set themselves up for awfully convenient movement rolls. They're awful at any long term planning, though. As a multiplayer board game RPG, it's pretty drat fun. Look at it this way: if you have at least one other friend who you'd go through a long RPG (Neverwinter Nights, Tales, hell even just mocking the other playing a game on the couch) you'll have a blast as long as you understand the element of luck will play a role. The game won't fill out the remaining slots with AIs unless you tell it to, so if you just want to play with buddies, go for it, and if you want an AI to pick on, you can have it. You can even adjust their difficulty midgame, so that's cool too.

As a final aside, I mention how as a board game it's problematic. How much you notice this is dependent on how familiar with modern board game design you are. If your experience tops out at Monopoly or Risk, maybe a round of Settlers of Catan or Cards Against Humanity, Dokapon Kingdom is still a much more massive and much better designed board game than any of those, easy (outside of that whole, you know, length thing). So yeah, that's a clarification worth noting.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

cram me sideways posted:

Oh barf. That's loving horrible. I'll pass, then. Must not be a very strong game on its own merits if you've got to give the AI that much of an advantage.

I'll just follow this up independently: the AI is only an issue if you have no other people to play with or if you decide you want them around in a game of 2-3 humans, so that shouldn't be an issue unless you're looking for a single player game, and if you are there's so many better choices on the system.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Starwhal will literally put you to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hceteWT7Jfg

If you don't mind taking a trip to the old Wii Channel for games, there are some good choices there, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89u2GcVYACw
^this one's 8 players!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EzmBXf_514

Mario Tennis 64 and Bomberman 93 are also great.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 27, 2016

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Can you even buy WiiWare stuff anymore? Do you need the old points cards or something?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can buy WiiWare through the Wii Shop Channel and you can use your credit card to buy points (and I think they updated it to accept eShop cards) but you can only download/run them from SD storage, not the internal or external Wii U storage.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Polo-Rican posted:

Everyone forgets poor Nintendoland. The best and most underappreciated title on the system.

I legit want them to make a full Metroid game using the Metroid Blast gameplay.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse is kind of strange. I'm not really sure if it entirely sells me on its basic caveat--like, the co-op actually largely invalidates your main movement system

How much of it have you played? Because this is definitely not true.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rainbow Curse co-op is definitely game-breaking, unless your Waddle Dee player is a literal child I guess.

• Locked thread