Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hogge Wild posted:

It can shoot up to 12 grenades in different angles and with different velocities so that they all land in the same spot at the same time.

And can also fire special heat seeking anti-tank shells that ignore the already burning hulks.

To be honest, technology just takes all the fun out of warfare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

please someone tell me about how jellicoe was chill

He was extremely intelligent, well versed in technical matters, very personable and approachable (he wandered around the fleet alone, whereas Beatty was always accompanied by a phalanx of Royal Marine bodyguards), and generally modest and soft-spoken.

Beatty managed to get him angry at Jutland by not reporting the position of the German fleet relative to his own position. This was important because at the time Jellicoe's fleet was approaching in cruising formation and in order to deploy his fleet for action, he had to know where the Germans were so that he didn't end up with his line of battle heading away from the enemy instead of towards them. He could see and hear flashes of gunfire and smoke from his flag bridge, but that wasn't enough information for a deployment. At one point Beatty sent a signal that he was engaged with the German fleet, but without including any position information. Jellicoe fumed "I wish someone would tell me where they are and who they're shooting at!"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

feedmegin posted:

Sorry, I realise it was unclear but I wasn't meaning to imply it was a tank. It's a just cool-looking tank-like thing.

I didn't imply that you were wrong, I was merely amused at what seems to be a tankish thing being classed as a rifle that somehow became mobile.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just look at this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUvqvtV3Z_o&t=2s

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

I didn't imply that you were wrong, I was merely amused at what seems to be a tankish thing being classed as a rifle that somehow became mobile.

My guess would be that, based on the "self-propelled" in the name, they classified it as a SPG rather than a tank. Because of that there was a need to differentiate it from the other SPGs where were usually indirect fire weapons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Nah, it's simpler than that. The tubes (multiple) aren't conventional guns so it's not a self-propelled gun. The tubes are recoilless rifles.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

No no no no stop it. Andrew Gordon is a poisonous little turd and his signals uber alles thesis is bullshit.

It's nothing to do with Evan-Thomas being, allegedly, part of a crazy traditionalist conspiracy Freemason faction like Andrew Gordon sketches out. Beatty was a fuckup.

Well sure Beatty hosed up. Is the rest of his material in RotG really that bad and worthless ?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Nenonen posted:

And can also fire special heat seeking anti-tank shells that ignore the already burning hulks.

To be honest, technology just takes all the fun out of warfare!

Just for general information, 145001 was in the garage next to me when I was in :3 Never got to climb around though, the guys from mss always had it locked up. Mmm-mm, drat shame.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mllaneza posted:

Well sure Beatty hosed up. Is the rest of his material in RotG really that bad and worthless ?

Not so much on Jutland, but practically everything he writes about the Royal Navy before 1914 needs to be taken, to quote Mark Twain on one of Fenimore Cooper's adulators, "with a few tons of salt." Preferably long tons.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's funny because I never read ROTG as being so hard on Evans-Thomas. Gordon makes it clear that the guy could have taken more initiative but also that he came from a tradition that discouraged initiative and wanted people to wait for signals. He was hardly the only one - look at the Captains who had a chance to open fire on the High Seas Fleet during the night, but didn't, because nobody told them to. I dunno, maybe I'm too jaded to notice Gordon's attempts to smear people. Except for Beatty. He clearly isn't a fan of Beatty.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Could someone do a quick post on how an island in the North Sea managed to dominate the entire Indian subcontinent? I imagine it's similar to other imperial conquest stories, but that one always fascinated me and I don't know much about it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

hogmartin posted:

Could someone do a quick post on how an island in the North Sea managed to dominate the entire Indian subcontinent? I imagine it's similar to other imperial conquest stories, but that one always fascinated me and I don't know much about it.

First you build trading posts along the coast and make a shitload of money trading things people in Europe want for things people in India want. Then you use that shitload of money to buy off a few locals to fight against anyone who gives you trouble re: trading posts. Along the way you bump off most European rivals. You now make an absolute gargantuan amount of money. Use that money to directly hire locals, equip them with modern weapons, train them in fighting with them, walk all over the few remaining locals that are still capable of resisting. Buy off the local rulers to accept your rule and keep the locals off your back. Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of a subcontinent.

In all seriousness, the British rule in India was comparatively light. The joke goes that after India achieved independence in the 1940ies, Indians were asked what they thought of the British now that they were gone - 30% hadn't noticed the British were gone, while a further 30% hadn't even noticed the British had ever been there. London ran the entire show with a ridiculously small contingent of bureaucrats considering the sheer size of the country. They mostly acted through local elites, so the term "dominate" is really not all that appropriate.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

First you build trading posts along the coast and make a shitload of money trading things people in Europe want for things people in India want. Then you use that shitload of money to buy off a few locals to fight against anyone who gives you trouble re: trading posts. Along the way you bump off most European rivals. You now make an absolute gargantuan amount of money. Use that money to directly hire locals, equip them with modern weapons, train them in fighting with them, walk all over the few remaining locals that are still capable of resisting. Buy off the local rulers to accept your rule and keep the locals off your back. Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of a subcontinent.

In all seriousness, the British rule in India was comparatively light. The joke goes that after India achieved independence in the 1940ies, Indians were asked what they thought of the British now that they were gone - 30% hadn't noticed the British were gone, while a further 30% hadn't even noticed the British had ever been there. London ran the entire show with a ridiculously small contingent of bureaucrats considering the sheer size of the country. They mostly acted through local elites, so the term "dominate" is really not all that appropriate.

Dismantling the local industrial economy and agricultural sector helps as well. All of a sudden they are dependent on international trade for their food supply, which you happen to control. Unless it gets disrupted, for whatever reason, then haha, whoops, famine.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

hogmartin posted:

Oh sweet, the Shetland Isles were a colonial super power at some point?!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Working on the book of 1915 and I just rediscovered the story of Lieutenant Denis Barnett attempting to navigate the Western Front in early 1915, mostly without the benefit of such things as communications trenches (which may very well be what he was trying to dig...)

quote:

It is a very difficult journey from here to where we are digging. The 'sailing' directions are like this. "...Across field to haystack. Bear half-left to dead pig. Cross stream 25 yards below dead horse. Up hedge to shell hole. Then follow the smell of three dead cows across the next field, and you'll arrive at exactly the right place!"

The best of these landmarks is that you can use them on the darkest night. I brought my lads back on a short cut I devised for myself, including a couple of dead dogs, and a certain amount of one German. It is a much better way, and I got the bearing so well that I walked right into the last cow without even smelling her, so strong was the wind blowing the other way.

Can't you just see the expressions on the faces of his men, as their subaltern walks straight into the corpse of a dead cow?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh sweet, the Shetland Isles were a colonial super power at some point?!

lol no.

Orkney.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

hogmartin posted:

lol no.

Orkney.

Waaaaagh?!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

London ran the entire show with a ridiculously small contingent of bureaucrats considering the sheer size of the country. They mostly acted through local elites, so the term "dominate" is really not all that appropriate.

Just to emphasise was 'ridiculously small contingent' means - the 1901 census put the total population of the entire British-controlled subcontinent at 294 million. Of that 170,000 were recorded as being Europeans. The Indian Civil Service, which actually carried out imperial rule, consisted of about 1000 people, of which around 800 were British (the proportion varied but it was usually around that), each of which was responsible for a district with a population of between 250,000 and 600,000 people. It really shows how far the British 'contracted out' rule of India in comparison to virtually everywhere else in the Empire.

Of course those 800 Brits often didn't run India especially well and it gave plenty of scope for all sorts of abuse and atrocities to go either genuinely unnoticed by the higher levels or passed off into the 'we didn't know about it...rogue elements...a local matter...no British people were actually involved so it's nothing to do with us' category, but still...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Imperial India was certainly run poorly, but I wouldn't say significantly more or less corruptly than mainland Britain*, until the early 20th century - and in some cases beyond. Turns out a mix of corrupt capitalist investors and landed gentry are a bunch of dicks wherever they rule, who knew?

*aside from engineered famine, which happened in Ireland, which I guess is not technically mainland Britain

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He was extremely intelligent, well versed in technical matters, very personable and approachable (he wandered around the fleet alone, whereas Beatty was always accompanied by a phalanx of Royal Marine bodyguards), and generally modest and soft-spoken.

Beatty managed to get him angry at Jutland by not reporting the position of the German fleet relative to his own position. This was important because at the time Jellicoe's fleet was approaching in cruising formation and in order to deploy his fleet for action, he had to know where the Germans were so that he didn't end up with his line of battle heading away from the enemy instead of towards them. He could see and hear flashes of gunfire and smoke from his flag bridge, but that wasn't enough information for a deployment. At one point Beatty sent a signal that he was engaged with the German fleet, but without including any position information. Jellicoe fumed "I wish someone would tell me where they are and who they're shooting at!"

Also, the photograph of Jellicoe in Castles of Steel is this American's idea of the most British-looking person ever.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Cythereal posted:

Also, the photograph of Jellicoe in Castles of Steel is this American's idea of the most British-looking person ever.

Jellicoe climbing the ladder to Iron Duke's bridge? I thought that was a pretty cool photograph myself. (As an American.)

EDIT: only GIS result has a big dumb watermark over the top but it's a good photo I swear.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 27, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Devlan Mud posted:

Jellicoe climbing the ladder to Iron Duke's bridge? I thought that was a pretty cool photograph myself. (As an American.)

Nah, the very, very dapper gentleman looking at the camera with a spyglass in his hands.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

please someone tell me about how jellicoe was chill

I don't know, he seemed like a real dick to everybody on board the Enterprise when he took over for Picard that one time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Oh a scale of how many HMS Warriors captained by Admiral Nelson whilst wearing two massive cocked hats are we talking here?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Devlan Mud posted:

EDIT: only GIS result has a big dumb watermark over the top but it's a good photo I swear.

wait, his ship was named Iron Duke? :britain:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh a scale of how many HMS Warriors captained by Admiral Nelson whilst wearing two massive cocked hats are we talking here?

Sorry for the watermark, but full-body versions of the photograph were hard to find:

There are also photos and paintings of the guy in much fancier outfits.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

wait, his ship was named Iron Duke? :britain:

The Royal Navy has the best ship names basically ever. Apart from maybe US submarines circa WW2, but I may be biased since my paternal grandfather and my uncle served with them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That is a pretty stone cold bad rear end pose yeah.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

The Royal Navy has the best ship names basically ever. Apart from maybe US submarines circa WW2, but I may be biased since my paternal grandfather and my uncle served with them.

I'm partial to HMS Glowworm and HMS Gay Viking.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

hogmartin posted:

I'm partial to HMS Glowworm and HMS Gay Viking.

HMS Cockchafer :colbert:

All four of them.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Devlan Mud posted:

The RN still has an HMS Iron Duke today, although she's much less impressive-looking than Jellicoe's flagship.

Just as an aside, I've always found some of the RN's ship-naming practises oddly endearing, especially the way it handled captured ships back in the age of sail. Unlike most navies the RN rarely changed the name of a prize, so you had plenty of RN ships sailing about with distinctly French names like HMS Courageux, HMS Auguste, HMS Foudroyant and HMS Temeraire. Some, like the latter, had famous careers and later ships were named in their honour, so centuries later the RN was naming new warships after enemy vessels. The ultra example must be when de Grasse's flagship, Ville de Paris, was captured by the RN but sank before it could reach Britain. The Navy had been so impressed with the VdP, and were so chuffed with having captured it, that they built a brand new first-rate and named it HMS Ville de Paris, thus making one of the most important ships in the fleet named, in the enemy's language, after the enemy's capital city in commemoration of an enemy flagship which was never in British service. It must have been doubly confusing when HMS VdP was flagship of the Channel Fleet in charge of enforcing the blockade against France.

E: I can only imagine the piss-takes the crews of the Flower-class corvettes HMSs Buttercup, Candytuft, Hollyhock and Periwinkle had to endure.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 27, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SeanBeansShako posted:

That is a pretty stone cold bad rear end pose yeah.

Compare to Douglas "Oh You're Miming A Dominatrix" MacArthur:

e: :laffo: that chair is too big

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

The look of a man who, try as he might, can never be entirely sure that there are no Communists hiding under his chair.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

He looks like a kid who raided his dad's wardrobe and is sitting in that musty old chair in the attic.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Dude's got a Patton complex.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hogmartin posted:

Dude's got a Patton complex.

The picture was taken in 1918 but I don't disagree about him being shitballs insane like Patton was.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

The picture was taken in 1918 but I don't disagree about him being shitballs insane like Patton was.
do not insult crazy generals in my hearing

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

He looks like a kid who raided his dad's wardrobe and is sitting in that musty old chair in the attic.

more like his mom's lol

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Despite the dumbass stock image bullshit, I dare you to find me a better ~ACTION POSE~ of an Admiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Amazingly, MacArthur was 6 feet. That chair is gigantic.

• Locked thread