Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kongurous
May 22, 2010

Zenostein posted:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/207921-montblanc-meisterstuck-4810-14k-585-fountain-pen/ Based on this, that's a montblanc 144.

So here's a possibly-helpful review of one:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/221125-montblanc-144-classique/

Oh, I see you got it open, so there's that. That appears to be a cartridge, and apparently it takes regular international cartridges. It'll also take regular international converters, probably. In any event, you should be able to pull it out. Then you can use a syringe or a pipette or something and refill it.

But first, from your pictures, that nib looks kinda grimy, as if a bunch of ink has dried in it. So maybe let that sit in a cup of warm water for a few hours first? It could probably use a nice soak.

Thanks for the help. I'll give the tip a soak.

Edit: An update after soaking it - the nib and body were full of dry ink, so good call there. The dried ink on the gold parts behind the tip isn't loosening, though, so is there any harm in letting it soak in soapy water over night?

kongurous fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
No, that should be fine. Just make sure you rinse it throughly before attempting to use it. God knows I've left pens in cups of water for far longer.

Maybe try this, if it is quite stuck. You could also probably try gently scrubbing it with an old soft toothbrush or something. But what you really want is one of those bulb syringes, like you use on little kid's noses. Fill that with water, stick it in the back of the pen where the cartridge was, and squirt water through. If there was a ton of ink dried on the nib like that, it's probably in the feed (the black bit on the bottom of the nib) too, and that'll be difficult to get out without a converter or a bulb pushing water through it.

But soaking it for a nice long while's a good start.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Cross Aventura was my first fountain pen, bought on impulse at Staples like two years ago. I now have three Esterbrooks I restored myself, a TWSBI Diamond 580, some no-name wooden-body cartridge-loaded fountain pen, a $7 Kuretake brush pen, and one of those offset-nib dip pens that you do Copperplate with. Can't remember the name right now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

kongurous posted:

Thanks for the help. I'll give the tip a soak.

Edit: An update after soaking it - the nib and body were full of dry ink, so good call there. The dried ink on the gold parts behind the tip isn't loosening, though, so is there any harm in letting it soak in soapy water over night?

There shouldn't be. To quickly dissolve ink, you could also use water with a few drops of household ammonia instead.

The ring directly next to the nib may also be corroded (it's only a gold plate, the ring itself is some other metal) from sitting around in a humid inky cap forever, not much to be done about that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Pelikan or Delta?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
What for?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

New purchase, got some Amazon gift cards burning a hole in my account.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I'd say pelikan because I like my baby's first proper pelikan (a m215, gently caress knows what they call them now — everything had names last I checked), but it's also something of a firehose, comparatively. But I also don't have a delta, so there's that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pelikan it is, then.

M600 in medium, to be precise.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

grack posted:

Pelikan it is, then.

M600 in medium, to be precise.

Good pen, great nib.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Apparently the ink I bought, I did not actually buy, but rather just left it in my Amazon cart where my wife moved it to Save For Later. :downsgun:

On the bright side, I found out there's a fountain pen supply place... in the mall on the way to work, of all places. So I should be able to just get some cartridges for now. If they have some of that interesting ink, I might get it there too, but I did not see it listed on their site.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This may seem like obvious advice but make sure you ask for Pilot cartridges

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

Yes it is, but given my track record, it's worth repeating anyways. I figure I'm looking for something matching what I see online for them: a rather drab box with catridges that fan out on one side instead of in like just about every other cartridge out there. I'm wondering if I should just bring one of the pens with me, although I'm pretty sure it will erupt in a mess if it's opened.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

grack posted:

Assuming he lives in the US.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Just bring your pen to the store and wave it around while yelling "Help!!"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

GoodBee posted:

Just bring your pen to the store and wave it around while yelling "Help!!"

Given what I did with the cartridge, this might end with me jamming it into my forehead . . . inside the case, no less.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Just wanted to report that I am basically in love with this Iroshizuku. It's so pretty and writes so nicely.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mikeycp posted:

Just wanted to report that I am basically in love with this Iroshizuku. It's so pretty and writes so nicely.

You know who also writes nicely?

THE GOD drat FEDERAL RESERVE AND ITS CABAL OF JE-oh hey I didn't see you there, buy some noodlers?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

FAUXTON posted:

You know who also writes nicely?

THE GOD drat FEDERAL RESERVE AND ITS CABAL OF JE-oh hey I didn't see you there, buy some noodlers?

I feel the same about Noodlers as I do about Dr. Bronner's. Good products and I get to read the insane ramblings of a crazy person if I get bored enough.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Where are Noodler's insane ramblings? Dr. Bronner's is kind enough to put it on the bottles.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Some of the Noodlers bottles have some pretty overt insanity on them.

The real Tardiff magic are his youtube videos. I like the one where his hands shake uncontrollably while he mutters about the conspiracy to put him out of business over something as trivial as one of his inks melting pens.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Which one was the one where he lights paper on fire again? Or does that happen in more than one video?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Only thing of note my bottle of Noodler's has on it is a catfish. I've never understood that.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noodling

?

That was the connection my brain made.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6L0lL-VzSE

I like this one for the title only. "Containers merely contain the fluid of democracy."

This one is just glorious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev1fVQFT0cE

It's so beautiful.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

That makes a lot of sense! I didn't know it was a thing or had a name.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

My Man Shran posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6L0lL-VzSE

I like this one for the title only. "Containers merely contain the fluid of democracy."

This one is just glorious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev1fVQFT0cE

It's so beautiful.

Nathan Tardif is a certifiable nutcase and I think we should all be glad he channels that insanity into pretty fountain pen inks and mediocre (but fun) pens.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
. . . is there crazy juice in his ink or something? I wanted to try the Burmese Road Brown once I knew what the hell I was doing. My wife saw the package and assumed it was hipster as gently caress, but now I can tell her it's just crazy as gently caress.

The staff at the pen store in the mall were really helpful. I got a 12-pack of black-blue cartridges and they volunteered to clean out the pen and install a cartridge. I asked to get a blue one so I knew all the black ink was out. It was a good call because despite all the washing, I somehow have black ink on my fingers while the pen is clearly writing in blue. :iiam:

They were using one of those baby ear cleaner things to pump a little water inside the pen. Is that normally a good thing? It looked gentle enough, but now I second-guess things.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, that's fine. Also, if you're using cartridges and don't intend to just use the one color, you probably want one. Should be able to find one at a drugstore or whatever.

I like Nathan's crazy ramblings almost as much as I like the label art. It takes a very uninteresting (but easy to store!) bottle and makes it almost pleasant to look at!

Too bad you probably shouldn't leave ink bottles laying out on a desk, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JEBOman posted:

Where are Noodler's insane ramblings? Dr. Bronner's is kind enough to put it on the bottles.

His blog has the best stuff.

http://noodlersink.com/general/new-bernanke-inks/

quote:

Bernanke Blue and Bernanke Black were introduced in part due to two forces of frustration. The economy destroyed a large customer that once upon a time and over many years sold a custom ink for those people who write OVER the words with their hand. This ink is incredibly smear resistant…and on some paper grades it can not be made to smear even a fractional second after writing the line. So, Noodler’s wanted to bring the ink into greater general distribution at the request of many customers. This would address the first frustration in that so many left handed writers believe the fountain pen is “just not for them” – this is NOT the case…as can be shown with a 1 minute demonstration using this ink (for a longer demonstration…see the video of this ink).

The second frustration involved raw materials costs for our products. The M2 money supply recently recorded a 26% increase and wholesale materials costs have been increasing at an outrageously rapid rate. We try our best to keep productivity up and costs as near to the razor’s edge as possible….but Chairman Bernanke has actively sought to inflate the stock market at the expense of all savers and holders of US dollars. To purchase debt instruments – including most recently a plan to buy dead mortgages (instead of letting the market clear naturally…say to prices the younger generation can afford) – without value representing the newly issued dollars used to expand the Fed’s balance sheet…debases the coin of the realm. The elderly are robbed from with near zero interest rates on their savings instruments while being pushed into far riskier assets than is suitable for their risk tolerance levels. The buyer of base necessities sees the costs of food and energy (gasoline and heating oil, transport costs, etc.) escalate while their wages stagnate or decline in real terms. Ah…but Chairman Bernanke has engineered a massive Wall Street rally by subjecting a higher risk premium to all the value that once resided in the pocketbooks and purses, wallets and check books of the average American: “either capital flows into newer and far larger bubbles on Wall and Broad…or you will see your money wither away through the inflation in the grocery store and the fall in your savings compensation (money markets, savings accounts, CDs, etc..)”. Wall Street or bust is the fed’s new mantra. While a small business is forced to consider price increases upon its products – the fed chairman insists inflation is benign…when pricing pressures affect corporate profits…it won’t matter provided the Bernanke “put” is under those profits…right???
Once upon a time America valued its medium of exchange as the one way to fairly compensate each of our efforts in a free market of diverse goods and services. Today, the fed chairman has picked one winner – a rigged financial market – and the rest of us get to pay the bill with an increasingly worthless bit of paper once known as the “almighty” dollar.
The Bernanke inks symbolically represent the fed’s need to print money with an ink that dries super fast….just as fast as it is printed today…the fastest rate in history.
If the Chairman continues down this path to economic oblivion – expect to see “Bernanke Black and Blue” during QE III and QE IV….and you might guess what that label will look like!

Haven't yet figured out the source of his weird obsession with imperial China.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 26, 2016

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

His blog has the best stuff.

http://noodlersink.com/general/new-bernanke-inks/

Haven't yet figured out the source of his weird obsession with imperial China.

The pure, Christian state that existed before the cinosoviet empire came into fruition, obviously.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So if I want to pick up a second pen that would be a bit more fun than my every day Safari with a F nib, what should I be looking at? I have a sample of the Emerald of Chivor that I'd like to get the most out of and the nib not clog up. Price in the 30-40 or less range, preferable with a converter.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Twsbi eco would fit the bill. Or a Lamy Vista.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

If you like your safari well enough, get another safari in a silly color and an italic point.

Instant fun. As a bonus, because of the grip you probably won't have issues with the pen rotating out of the angle an italic wants! Probably, I don't actually have one. Does it actually work out that way?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop + Pilot Plumix and switch the nibs.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I shouldn't be as impressed with the ability to click my Pilot VP and have the nib disappear and reappear but god help me I am

I like how it writes, too, although my dog was a bit perturbed at some of the squeaky sounds it made

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

grack posted:

Pilot Metropolitan Retro Pop + Pilot Plumix and switch the nibs.

The answer is always to get a pilot metro.

edit: or some weird chinese knock-off
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/all-wholesale-products/1078830.html

Ordered this, will provide a trip report in 6 weeks when it is finally here.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 27, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The most fun pens are Jinhao's you can buy them by the litter from amazon, and some are batshit insane.
From the subtle http://amzn.to/1nnyI6g
To the full Waifu :http://amzn.to/1nxPT61

and normal decent pens inbetween
http://amzn.to/204Esng
http://amzn.to/204Etb0

just remember they may need some tuning or not work great but they are also you know.. $3

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does anyone else have a Plumix that's dry as gently caress? If left unattended for any amount of time at all my brand new one is almost impossible to get it started again. This is with the included Pilot cartridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just pull the nib out and put it in a Metro. I couldn't imagine writing with the actual Plumix body, it's awful.