Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LightReaper posted:

Have you ever gone back and tried out any of the newer versions of Brave New World after your LP? I've been playing it over the past few months and I'm lateish in the world of ruin and that rom hack seems very well balanced and the dialed-back translation is nice (though there are still some questionable scenes).

There've been a lot of updates since Mega's LP, too many to wrap my head around, even.
It falls squarely in the "better, by made by a total weirdo" category though, despite some flaws and geeky translation missteps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

FFE sounds more like PSO/PSU than anything. Go through a few maps, kill a big boy, use phat loot to upgrade you guy.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Moldy Taxes posted:

FFE sounds more like PSO/PSU than anything. Go through a few maps, kill a big boy, use phat loot to upgrade you guy.

But does it have floating red boxes?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Some more flexible thinking individuals are starting to look at PSO as in the MonHun genre.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Renoistic posted:

Those descriptions make the game sound more fun than MonHun, actually.

:chloe:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

LightReaper posted:

Have you ever gone back and tried out any of the newer versions of Brave New World after your LP? I've been playing it over the past few months and I'm lateish in the world of ruin and that rom hack seems very well balanced and the dialed-back translation is nice (though there are still some questionable scenes).

No, I may play it again eventually but there's a lot of other things I want to do right now.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

zedprime posted:

Some more flexible thinking individuals are starting to look at PSO as in the MonHun genre.

They were the two biggest "four player coop" games for a good long while, weren't they? These days it feels like more developers try to leech off the MH crowd with short form quests in small to medium sized areas, but I'm down with PSO's style too and this game sounds right up that alley.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

But does it have floating red boxes?

This is very important information.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

In Training posted:

MH4U was the first one I played and I liked the gameplay a whole lot, but it would be nice if everything around actually hitting a monster didn't have to be looked up in the Monster Hunter wiki.

Same, though I didn't have to look up too much stuff. I occasionally asked questions in the thread here if something was confusing. The thing that eventually frustrated me so much that I quit was I was sick of the monsters running away. I got nearly 80 hours of mostly good fun out of the game but I don't think I could play a MonHun again because that mechanic seems to be important to purists.

FFE looks fun enough but there are too many very good games to play over the next month to justify buying it. Maybe during the summer doldrums.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Monsters running away was literally added in MH4 for the expeditions afaik so it seems weird for it to be a purists thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Countblanc posted:

Monsters running away was literally added in MH4 for the expeditions afaik so it seems weird for it to be a purists thing.

I'm not referring to the expedition fleeing mechanic (though that is just terrible). I'm referring to the mechanic where they'll escape to a different zone if they're heavily injured and you have to paintball or trap them if you don't want to have to spend a lot of time looking for them.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Suicide Pacmen posted:

I'm buying it and you can't stop me

One copy? At least we know it won't bomb as badly as Codename Steam.

And I liked Codename Steam...

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I've heard of a few issues people have with Monster Hunter that, while I disagree with I can understand where they're coming from, but I don't know how paintballing is troublesome when the game dumps them on you through low rank and after two or three large monsters you understand that this is going to be A Thing You Do.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Moldy Taxes posted:

I've heard of a few issues people have with Monster Hunter that, while I disagree with I can understand where they're coming from, but I don't know how paintballing is troublesome when the game dumps them on you through low rank and after two or three large monsters you understand that this is going to be A Thing You Do.

It means that unless a trap is used, every fight temporarily halts. It broke up the gameplay in a way I found frustrating more than satisfying.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

bloodychill posted:

It means that unless a trap is used, every fight temporarily halts. It broke up the gameplay in a way I found frustrating more than satisfying.

If you were to watch where the monster runs, then paintballing would be less important. Obviously it's flat required for flying monsters/if you bothered to grab a skill that makes you sense when to catch a monster. But if I remember correctly, the monster limps towards an area entrance, then flies off if it can.

Moldy Taxes posted:

And while you can't outright buy paintballs, you can still duplicate the mats with the Wycoon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

widespread posted:

If you were to watch where the monster runs, then paintballing would be less important. Obviously it's flat required for flying monsters/if you bothered to grab a skill that makes you sense when to catch a monster. But if I remember correctly, the monster limps towards an area entrance, then flies off if it can.

On one hand, most monsters either fly, burrow, or use "hidden paths" like Khezu or velociraptor-type monsters, and to make matters worse, they'll often switch more than one area at a time (especially flyers) to confuse you even more. On the other, paintballing is so easy and basic that there's no reason you shouldn't be doing it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

On one hand, most monsters either fly, burrow, or use "hidden paths" like Khezu or velociraptor-type monsters, and to make matters worse, they'll often switch more than one area at a time (especially flyers) to confuse you even more. On the other, paintballing is so easy and basic that there's no reason you shouldn't be doing it.

I think a mechanic that requires you to do a token amount of trivial busywork at the beginning of each battle or otherwise have fights interrupted in a very irritating manner that doesn't really add to the challenge in any meaningful way is a bad one.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Augus posted:

I think a mechanic that requires you to do a token amount of trivial busywork at the beginning of each battle or otherwise have fights interrupted in a very irritating manner that doesn't really add to the challenge in any meaningful way is a bad one.

This is basically it. I mean, clearly it wasn't too bad because I still played a ton, but it was annoying enough that I'd prefer the game without it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
"Anyone want to hear some Final Fantasy 6 music?" *crowd of nerds cheer, metal version of Terra's theme begins*

At a Bit Brigade/Protomen show. It's kind of cool.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Can I play Sphere Break against the people who were in the tournament later on? Because apparently I didn't know there was a specific player who had a Garment Grid, and of course, the Garment Grid from Shinra since I didn't want to force my luck and beat him again.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Squall wasn't dead.

He was just Sakaguchi all along: http://www.uhwo.hawaii.edu/ekamakanihou/?p=2564

At the event, Sakaguchi talked about FFIX's development in Honolulu, Hawaii. Then, he went on to talk about Tetra Battle's success. He also talked about his next game at the event. The artwork reminds me of Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light/Bravely Default by Akihiko Yoshida. Yoshida is now working at an independent art company. However, it's probably Kimihiko Fujisaka since he worked on Mistwalker's The Last Story and Terra Battle.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hahaha what the gently caress am I looking at? The best part is the Gunblade from nowhere. :allears:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sunning posted:

Squall wasn't dead.

He was just Sakaguchi all along: http://www.uhwo.hawaii.edu/ekamakanihou/?p=2564

aw junk i'm not on oahu until thursday

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bloodychill posted:

"Anyone want to hear some Final Fantasy 6 music?" *crowd of nerds cheer, metal version of Terra's theme begins*

At a Bit Brigade/Protomen show. It's kind of cool.

why arent you in the bathroom doing molly, who posts on the internet at a show

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
LT note: i don't know who either of those bands are but i assume molly is a universal show drug, doesn't mattetr the music

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Winners don't do drugs! Molly probably would have helped though. The opener was a local Austin band that did a bunch of metal SNES covers that were cool but a little messy. Bit Brigade did their schtick, which is some guy speed-running Megaman 2 while a band plays rock covers of all the songs with some other songs thrown in to mix things up. It was good. The Protomen are what you get what you take Journey and Styx, a love of Megaman, and a pretty hefty dose of cocaine and then proceed to vomit it all up on a stage. It wasn't my thing.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mandatory lesbian posted:

LT note: i don't know who either of those bands are but i assume molly is a universal show drug, doesn't mattetr the music

They are a band based off of Megaman. They do concept albums based on the original Megaman games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E58p-ucTTu8

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bloodychill posted:

Winners don't do drugs! Molly probably would have helped though. The opener was a local Austin band that did a bunch of metal SNES covers that were cool but a little messy. Bit Brigade did their schtick, which is some guy speed-running Megaman 2 while a band plays rock covers of all the songs with some other songs thrown in to mix things up. It was good. The Protomen are what you get what you take Journey and Styx, a love of Megaman, and a pretty hefty dose of cocaine and then proceed to vomit it all up on a stage. It wasn't my thing.

there are so many better bands to watch in austin why did you go see the protomen

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I usually post on the internet at events when I'm dumping rear end, also when not at events.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Winners don't do drugs!

quote:

The Protomen are what you get what you take [...] a pretty hefty dose of cocaine

yup this checks out

sorry drugs, you had a good run

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

there are so many better bands to watch in austin why did you go see the protomen

I've lived here long enough to see a lot of good music so I wanted to see something lovely. Honestly though, a friend wanted to see Bit Brigade and convinced me they were worth the price of ticket alone, which they mostly turned out to be. I didn't even know who the Protomen were. I got to go down to Red River and see a bunch of good clubs I used to hang out were closed. Yay.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
drugs are good, without them we wouldn't have my favorite final fantasy, FF X-2

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also did you ever look hard at mario?????

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Weed is the universal show drug, parents don't do molly when they take their kids to Yo Gabba Gabba but they will sure as hell bring a fuckin joint

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

Weed is the universal show drug, parents don't do molly when they take their kids to Yo Gabba Gabba but they will sure as hell bring a fuckin joint

It helps that pretty much any decent venue will not give a poo poo about the you smoking but they might throw you out if you start hugging random people and they get complaints. Molly is popular for certain types of shows though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sunning posted:

Squall wasn't dead.

At the event, Sakaguchi talked about FFIX's development in Honolulu, Hawaii. Then, he went on to talk about Tetra Battle's success. He also talked about his next game at the event. The artwork reminds me of Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light/Bravely Default by Akihiko Yoshida. Yoshida is now working at an independent art company. However, it's probably Kimihiko Fujisaka since he worked on Mistwalker's The Last Story and Terra Battle.

Oh cool, it's going to be for a current console, I hope the current trend of Japanese companies funnelling mobile money back in to console games continues.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

bloodychill posted:

It helps that pretty much any decent venue will not give a poo poo about the you smoking but they might throw you out if you start hugging random people and they get complaints. Molly is popular for certain types of shows though.

I would assume molly would at least make people use the flashier moves in any FF, also. But, are there like sectioned off areas for smokers that happen to have a weed cig in their hand? Or is it just "light up anywhere, just don't go apeshit alright"?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

widespread posted:

I would assume molly would at least make people use the flashier moves in any FF, also. But, are there like sectioned off areas for smokers that happen to have a weed cig in their hand? Or is it just "light up anywhere, just don't go apeshit alright"?

The latter. A good rule to follow for shows is just to not be a jerk unless you're somehow at an old punk show or something. People are usually enjoying the band or too drunk/high to notice what you're up to anyway.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

bloodychill posted:

The latter. A good rule to follow for shows is just to not be a jerk unless you're somehow at an old punk show or something. People are usually enjoying the band or too drunk/high to notice what you're up to anyway.

Man. Decent venues for good gigs sounds rad as gently caress, man. Assuming no one goes rear end in a top hat high or somethin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LordVorbis posted:

Why? Is it just bad?

February for some reason has a bunch of very highly anticipated games dropping at the same time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_video_gaming#January.E2.80.93March

XCOM 2, Fire Emblem, Street Fighter 5