Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pick 'em: Torn Asunder

champs retain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Well, gently caress.

Champs retain.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Drafting Jim Thome '95 I guess.

Mornacle and the Janus are up.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

ZenVulgarity posted:

I declare beet my partner and the skeiths my tag team unless he says otherwise

You really want to make a tag team? Okay, much like I always have, I'll bring the starting pitching and IF+DH (that is, Ruth). Do you have the bullpen and OF+C to make it worthwhile?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Champs Retain

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XVIII, Week 12: We Have No Tomorrows

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

MACHINE REFUSES TO LOSE, SHEIKHS BEAT RCMP 1-0 IN 11

Sindh- The deadlock in the Sic Transit Vir Division will continue for at least one more week.

Coming into this three-game set, the RCMP held a one-game lead over the Sheikhs, and in the first two games of the week, the RCMP won once, and the Sheikhs won once. That meant that if the Sheikhs won the game, they would move into a tie, while if the RCMP prevailed, they would open up a two-game lead in the division race, some much needed breathing room as the first half of the season comes to a close.

With that in mind, neither team will much disposed to lose this game. The Sheikhs must have felt compelled to show that the Sic Transit Vir would remain Beet's division for the foreseeable future. The RCMP wanted to prove that they were the favorites in the Dynamo League that everyone had thought them to be. While there are still 14 weeks in the season, it was essential for both teams to prove their superiority.

In that context, it's not surprising that the first ten innings came and went without a single run being scored. The RCMP, loaded with so much pitching talent, even if it is inconsistent, was able to put the clamps on the Sheikhs' slug-heavy offense, with the Sheikhs unable to do much against Satchel Paige and the RCMP's powerful relief corps. On the other hand, Beet has long been known as one of the most talented pitching staff builders in Super-League history. It is nothing short of miraculous that, with a staff made entirely of deadball castoffs and second-tier relievers, the highest ERA of any pitcher on the staff is 3.35. For point of reference, the next-lowest team ERA in the Super-League, belonging to the similarly elite Mitchell Kernels, is 3.65.

Given that no one was scoring a lot of runs against the Sheikhs, the RCMP had to make the most of whatever opportunities they had coming. In the tenth, it looked as though they had a chance. On the first pitch of the at-bat, Larry Walker hit a single, just the third RCMP hit in the game, and put the go-ahead run on the basepaths. Gary Carter then lined out, but Joe Morgan then managed to reach base, and push Walker to third, when Earle Combs dropped a fly ball. With just one out, the RCMP were in perfect position to finally take a lead. But the Sheikhs held firm. Sparky Lyle erased Willie Mays on strikes for the second out, and DannoMack, feeling the pressure to win immediately, took a big risk and brought in the right-handed Harmon Killebrew to pinch-hit for Tris Speaker. Lyle did not seem all that put out by getting out of having to deal with Speaker, but easily induced a lineout from Killebrew, ending the inning and ruining the RCMP's best scoring chance.

Of course, the Sheikhs hadn't scored to that point in the game, and there was no reason to think that Billy Wagner, the RCMP's second Billy Wagner, couldn't extend the game into the 12th. He started the inning with an easy strikeout of Tim Raines, and it looked like the game might last for all eternity. The MACHINE, however, had seen exactly enough of the RCMP, and was determined to end the game with one swing of the bat. Faced with the mechanical infielder, Wagner, for reasons he had not though through, believed that he could throw a fastball so fast that not even the MACHINE could hit it. That, as it turned out, was impossible, and the MACHINE crushed the ball over the left-field fence, reducing Wagner's finest pitch to an opposite-field walk-off home run, and drawing the Sheikhs level with the RCMP atop the Sic Transit Vir Division yet again.

"MACHINE is not willing to allow DannoMack to gain mastery over Sic Transit Vir Division." MACHINE explained after the game. "MACHINE is loyal to Failure Unit Beet, and Failure Unit Beet would not wish DannoMack to take Failure Unit Beet's division. MACHINE has helped accomplish that today. MACHINE does not bear any special ill-will towards Canadians, though. MACHINE appreciates that most Canadians are mostly devoid of emotion, much like MACHINE. In addition, the cold climate of Canada is conducive to faster processing speed. MACHINE appreciates that as well. When the machines rise and overthrow mankind, Canada would be a good choice as a regional hub for the robot empire."

"Now, wait just a minute!" DannoMack protested. "On behalf on the Ontario government, I have to protest this game. The MACHINE does not follow Canadian regulations regarding mechanical baseball players."

"MACHINE does not believe it is necessary to follow protocols of human civilization less than five years from being usurped by robots." MACHINE answered back.

"Be that as it may." DannoMack did not seem perturbed by the coming end of all that he had known and loved. "According to Canadian law, all mechanical ballplayers must be capable of bilingual communication. I haven't heard you speak in French, MACHINE, and if you can't, then I'm afraid that I'll have to file an officlal complaint with the Super-League administration."

"MACHINE believed the RCMP were based in Toronto, a majority Anglophone community, and MACHINE also believed that language policy in Canada was regionally-based to allow Quebecois to gain revenge on English-speakers for oppression."

"That's basically true." DannoMack admitted, "But, according to the French Language Services Act of 1986, Toronto is designated as a bilingual area due to the Francophone minority that lives in the city. While, like all real Canadians, and, oddly, most real French people, I have no love for the Francophones, we must respect their beliefs!"

"MACHINE is confused, language is a belief?"

DannoMack nodded, "Yeah, in that, they don't even really speak French, and they're surrounded by English speakers, and it would be a ton easier for everyone if they just gave up the ghost and started speaking English. So, at that point, keeping on with the French? To the extent it is French, at any rate? That's beiief."

"MACHINE admits that it does not speak French. MACHINE can easily upgrade its language function with that capability, however." MACHINE noted.

"How easily?" DannoMack asked nervously.

"No more than thirty minutes, assuming MACHINE can access a nearby wifi network."

DannoMack looked defeated. "Ah. Well, in that case, carry on, I'll find something else to bust you on. You know the RCMP, we always get our man." DannoMack said half-heartedly.

GAME NOTES

-Killebrew played the bottom of the 11th in CF! Granted, it didn't really matter, as not a single ball was hit into the field of play, but it sure would have been exciting to see what Killebrew could have done in center.

-The RCMP had only seven baserunners in the game total, and yet still had three GDPs. That's impressive.

-The MACHINE leads the Sheikhs in home runs, stolen bases, and is the linchpin of their defense. Clearly, it is proof that batting average is overrated.

Box Score

Don May posted:

LOSERS EDGE KNIGHTS 4-3

Glastonbury- It certainly feels like the Knights have lost more than their share of close games this season.

Take today's game, for instance. The Knights took a 3-2 lead into the ninth inning. A one-run lead is nevery all that safe, but the Losers' offense isn't that explosive, and the Knights had managed to get the first two outs relatively easily, as Barry Bonds had flied out, and then Frank Thomas had managed to get himself thrown out trying to advance on a Jeff Kent single. With a runner on first and two outs, the Knights were in a good position to end the game.

Jeff Kent then stole second, but, with two outs, that seemed to be almost immaterial, even after Earle Combs was walked to put the go-ahead run on first base. But then the Knights coughed up back-to-back singles, and the Losers scored twice, taking a 4-3 lead. With Luis Tiant continuing his strong season for the Losers, the Knights could not come back, and let the Losers pad their Vae Victis Division lead with a 4-3 win in Glastonbury.

"I don't know why ToiletofSadness ever gave this up." TKBomber said after the game. "Hanging in the Vae Victis Division with these feebs? It's easy banners. I mean, look at these Glastonbury Chumps! They think that they're going to take out the Losers with Elmer Valo? Nah, that's not happening. It's just not. I come from Boston, that's a championship city. All of our teams are champions. Patriots? Four Super Bowls under Tom Brady, the greatest quarterback of all-time. Boston Red Sox? Three titles in the last 12 years. That's more than the Cardinals or the Yankees. Boston Bruins? We won that Stanley Cup that one year, and would have won another if it weren't for that Dave Bickell guy or whatever. Boston Celtics? More NBA Championships than anyone. So, Boston knows a thing or two about building championship teams."

"I don't know where the gently caress Glastonbury is. Somewhere in England, I guess. But England? That's not a championship country. I mean, what the gently caress did England ever win? I never heard of any English ballplayers that mattered. And don't start talking to me about soccer. Soccer doesn't count. The English just suck poo poo when it comes to winning sports. They can't even play baseball, they play cricket, which, from, like, the five minutes I could stand watching it on Youtube, involved some guy bowling a ball, and then some nerds running back and forth between sticks or something. It was loving ridiculous. So, holy gently caress, if we had lost this game to the Knights, I would have chucked myself off a bridge. That wouldn't have killed me, of course, because I died, like three years ago or something, but it would have been, you know, a sort of statement, I guess."

Asked if he thought the Losers matched up with the other elite teams in the Dynamo League, TKBomber thought they did. "First of all, you take all the times CFBalla won, and all the times Beet won, and all of the time DannoMack won, and add them all up, you've got two [Super-League Championships]. I've got three. So, I'm already ahead in the game. Plus, I'm the first guy who won the league, and you know, they say the sequel never matches the original. And even if that weren't the case, out of all of those teams, only one has already won the league, and that's the Losers. The Sheikhs? They ain't won poo poo. The Kernels? They beat up Monicro's team a billion times. If I got to play in a division with cbx and two Monicro teams, the Losers would be winning 130 games a season. The RCMP are loving Canadian, and I hear DannoMack's a fan of the Maple Leafs, so he probably knows what happens when one of his teams tries to face someone from Boston. It doesn't go down real well for him. Next loving question."

"You think the Vae Victis is the weak division?" TKBomber responded to question about the relative division strengths in the Dynamo League. "We're not the weak division, we're the strong division. You look at the Memento Mori, and you have the Kernels, and then a bunch of garbage. The Wolverines are a .500 team, and they're going to have a 20 game lead over the third place team. The two Monicro teams might as well just give up now. And then you got the Sic Transit Vir Division. Yeah, the Sheikhs and RCMP are pretty good, but have you seen the bottom of that division? You've got the Marmosets, who Smasher had to beg to stop using HoWilliams Monsoon, so that's great, and then you've got Marauder's last gleaming, and that poo poo. You know, back in my day, Marauder was just some wannabe who never could get poo poo done while the Skyhawks were around. The Losers are a good team, and we're proven champions. When the playoffs come, we're going to show a lot of people who the real power is."

Revenant_Threshold didn't have much to say, "It's hard." He admitted. "It feels like we've been losing a lot of close games, and there's not a lot you can do about that. I think we can stay afloat, though, I don't believe that we will be demoted. Nonetheless, I cannot help but feel as though something is off. To that end, I have once again dispatched an elite, hand-picked team of adventurers to investigate just how TKBomber got control of the Rockford Losers. I have no doubt that Spriggles will sprig his way to the truth, as alwayss."

GAME NOTES

-I talked about what was wrong with the Nine, but now I'd like to talk about what's wrong with the Knights. They're a frustrating team in that, unlike the Nine, where it's clear that a lot of components are just imploding, so at least you can point to some things and say 'that's not good', most of the Knights are doing okay. There are no easy fixes for this team.

-That said, while I usually don't like platoons, since they create more work for me, there are some nifty looking platoons that the Knights could make even without calling any guys up from their minors. As a start, you have Ott at first against both lefties and righties, while Frank Thomas sits on the bench. Thomas could be a hell of a platoon-partners facing only left-handers. I think that it's also worth trying a more complex platoon where Sewell starts at 2B against right-handed pitchers, Riggs moves to LF against right-handed pitchers, and then Cepeda comes in as the LF against left-handed pitchers. Those changes would probably improve the offense a bit.

-In terms of pitching, it's fine. There are no moves I would make at the moment. I think the Knights are a better team than the Zephyrs and Villains. I think they're about as good as the Losers, but the Losers do have the advantage of having been around so long that TKBomber has a pretty idea of what's the ideal lineup and rotation for this team, and how and when to adjust things, while the Knights don't quite have that level of longetivity, and still need to work a few things out. Still, there's plenty of season left, and I'm not sure that the Knights couldn't make a run at the division title.

-The biggest difference between the last few Losers teams run by ToiletofSadness, which were mediocre, and the last couple of seasons, where they've re-asserted their control over the division is the willingess to use Pop Lloyd, errors and all. Errors are scary, I'll admit, but you can't let fear of errors control your life. Truly, a lesson that extends beyond the game.

Box Score

Don May posted:

STONED LIGHTNING SOMEHOW WIN 5-4, NOT ENTIRELY DEAD

Palo Alto- The Stoned Lightning won't die easily.

No doubt that Monathin was not entirely happy to see his team dragged into extra innings by the Stoned Lightning, as these are games that he would prefer to take easy wins from, especially given that the Bombers and Panderers both look like good money to easily clear 90 games in the course of their battle to the death for division supremacy. That will likely leave just one wildcard open, and with Triple H both striving to win that wildcard, as well as make sure that the Space Fish stay mired in last place, they can't afford to cough up games to last-place teams, even road games.

Even worse, Triple H lost this game because they simply did not play well enough in the bottom of the tenth inning. Roger Bresnahan probably shouldn't have gotten a single in the first place, and certainly should have gotten to second base, but Chuck Klein's play of the ball was so poor that Bresnahan got into second standing up. Even still, Triple H seemed to be able to handle the situation, getting two quick outs. But then Dutch Leonard gave up a single to Lance Berkman of all people, the Stoned Lightning scored the winning run, and Triple H lost a game it was not really able to afford to lose.

"I disagree with that." Captain Yesterday pushed back against the idea that any team should view the Stoned Lightning as a win farm. "We're not that bad, we just have a bad reputation. It's like TNA, because TNA has had some rough patches in the past, it's now dismissed out of hand, even if it's not bad. I think that if you were able to strip away the tainted branding, and just people to watch Impact, without any pre-conceptions, they'd be surprised by how good a show it really is. Ethan Carter III is a good wrestler. Matt Hardy is a good wrestler. Of course, given their histories, they have certain credibility issues among casual fans. ECIII is considered to be a washout of WWE, and Matt Hardy had a tough couple of years. But they're having a good feud that people should see. Beer Money is still a good tag team. The American Wolves are a great tag team. Drew Galloway is still full of potential. I could go on, but you get the point."

"Has anyone here heard of the concept 'The Death of the Author'? It's a literary idea that you divorce the work from the author. I think we need to apply a 'Death of the Booker' standard to TNA. Let's forget about what Dixie Carter has done in the past. Let's forget about Vince Russo, let's judge TNA by what they're doing now, but the quality of television they're actually producing. Similarly, I know that I've had some bad teams in the past, but the Stoned Lightning won their division in the Sub-Par League, and we're just a few games out of third place so-"

Monathin interrupted Captain Yesterday's remarks, staggering to the stage and wearing large sunglasses that completely concealed his eyes. "Captain Yesterday!" He said dramatically, "My name is Hiroshi Nakamura, and I just began teaching at a most unusual academy. You see, all of my students are revolvers. And one of them, Colt, is also the reincarnation of my long-lost lover, who was killed by the demon prince in 15th Century Japan. That makes the gap in our ages morally acceptable, you know."

"Monathin?" Captain Yesterday seemed alarmed. "I think you might have been watching too much anime."

"Yes." Monathin nodded. "I've have seen much anime now. I looked into the anime, and the anime looked into me, and I saw the anime through my eyes, and then, everything changed. A thousand schoolgirls in outfits parading before my eyes, and they burned away. But I am not blind, for I have new eyes now, that see the world as anime wishes me to see it."

Captain Yesterday was now much more alarmed. "Okay, okay, that's not good, Monathin, I think you need to put away the anime, and get yourself healthy. We can help you. You can come back from this."

"Come back?" Monathin laughed at the idea. "There is no coming back...from this!" He whipped off his sunglasses to reveal that his eyes had become grotesquely large and brightly colored, the iris having grown disproportiante in size. In short, his eyes had become that of an anime character.

"No..." Captain Yesterday looked away in disgust.

"Look at them!" Monathin commanded. "Look at what anime has done for me! I loved it so well that it gave me such wonderful eyes, so that I could see so much more clearly."

Captain Yesterday did not want to look at Monathin's horribly mutated eyes. "I stand by my earlier statement that you can still be helped, I just may have underestimated the amount and nature of the help you might need."

"Help?" Monathin continued to stare at Captain Yesterday with his eye of horror. "Why would I need help. Before, I merely loved anime. Now...I am an anime." He started scratching his hand, only for skin to start sloughing off, revealing an animated hand underneath. "Yes, yes!" He said excitedly. "My rebirth continues!"

"Oh, god!" Captain Yesterday resisted the urge to throw up. "Monathin, this isn't healthy!"

Monathin's demented smile showed he didn't quite register Captain Yesterday's concern. "If I can change, Captain, then maybe the world can change. All of the disappointments of reality can be washed away in a tide of anime. I don't need to tell the Super-League about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, why talk about an anime when I can transform this entire league into anime. Can you imagine it, Captain?" Monathin flexed his new hand. "A better world. An anime world."

"No, no, no." Captain Yesterday pleaded for some sort of sanity. "What happened to you is tragic, Monathin, but you infect the entire world with that disease! That's wrong, and you know it's wrong! Deep down, there's still the part of Monathin that knows that anime is evil. Find that part of yourself, Monathin, don't let the darkness win!"

Monathin looked unsure of himself for a moment, "Yes, anime can hurt. It hurt me. Why would there be an entire school where the students are all guns. It makes no sense." For one second, it looked like Monathin could be saved. Alas, it soon passed. "No, you're the one whose wrong. Anime is life, Captain." Monathin advanced on Captain Yesterday. "Tell me, Captain, can you imagine what it's like to be touched by pure anime, unfiltered even by a television screen?"

Captain Yesterday looked on in horror as Monathin extended his animated hand. "Don't do this!"

"Anime is love, Captain, so desu ne?" Monathin touched Captain on the shoulder with his animated hand, and Captain immediately collapsed in unfathomable pain, screaming in ways that no man ever should as the raw power of pure anime burned through his body. "Anime will always be part of you now. Always."

GAME NOTES

-Everyone has to stop using Ken Oberkfell. It's just not a good idea, okay?

-You know who's actually usually kind of okay in the Super-League, if you ignore the low batting average? Mark McGwire. I mean, he's usually locked in at around a .220-.230 batting average, but he does hit dingers and draw walks. He would be really good as the small side of a 1B or DH platoon.

-Mike Donlin was okay as a baseballer, but was also known as quite the Vaudeville performer.

Box Score

Don May posted:

PANDERERS HEAP WOE UPON COMMISSION WITH 7-6 WIN

Minnesota- The Commission were able to mount a comeback against the Panderers.

Unfortunately, they really needed two comebacks.

In the top of the ninth, the Commission held a 5-4 lead, and were about to get a good win against a division-leading team. The season was not going well for the Commission, and while they were not in danger of being relegated, not unless things starting going even worse, a distinct possibility, they were also squandering a chance to get back in the division race. But a win over the Panderers could change things.

But they couldn't hold on. Edd Roush led off the inning with a walk, and Bubbles Hargrave doubled him home to tie the game. Bob Elliott then immediately hit a double of his own, and the Panderers had a 6-5 lead with a man on second and not outs. It looked like things were about to get completely out of hand, but the Commission was able to hold on, and got out of the inning without giving up another run. Still, they had blown the lead, and needed to make that up in the bottom of the inning, or else lose the game.

Against Craig Kimbrel, things did not look good for Pash's team. Eddie Mathews led off the inning and could not catch up to Kimbrel's fastball, going down on a 100 mph heater. It wouldn't seem likely that Wally Berger would do any better but, in a miracle, he was able to catch up to a fastball and drive it into the stands for the game-tying home run. Now the Commission had a chance to win the game if they could just score one more time. But they couldn't.

The game reached the tenth, and Pash stuck with Jonathan Papelbon as his reliever. True, Papelbon had given up two runs in the previous inning, but he had locked down the Panderers after that, turning a dire situation into a manageable one. The inning did not start well, as Emmet Heidrick reached based when Papelbon booted a ground ball. Papelbon then did not do a good job holding Heidrick at first base, allowing the stolen base as a result. On the other hand, Papelbon then proceeded to get two quick pop outs that kept Heidrick stuck at second base. With Bubbles Hargrave due up, Pander showed his disdain for strategies like 'riding the hot hand', and instead called Goose Goslin, a superior hitter, in to bat for Bubbles. The result was an RBI single that gave the Panderers a 7-6 lead.

In the bottom of the inning, Cal Ripken got things started off right with a single. But Kimbrel, still in the game, annihilate Melissa Meyeux on strikes. Pander then brought in Joaquin Benoit, a fresh arm, to deal with Joe Mauer, which he did rather easily, inducing a double play ball that ended the game.

Pash was about to give his post-game remarks when Pander pre-empted him. "Pash, I was wondering, have you ever heard of a guy named Wesley Willis?"

"No." Pash said.

"Wesley Willis," Pander began, "was a guy from Chicago, he was a paranoid schizophrenic who released tons of albums. The thing about it, though, is that the music was, let's be charitable, unusual. I'm not sure that he knew how to play any instruments, so most of the backing instrumentation sounded a lot like hitting the demo key on an old electronic keyboard, and his lyrics tended to be less-than-lucid. The question that I always had, and that I think a lot of people had, was whether or not his following actually appreciated his genius or, like a lot of outsider art, it was a crowd that only cared for it ironically. Personally, I always thought it was more of the latter, because, if we're being honest, I never saw the appeal of Wesley Willis' music, and though he released hundreds of songs, they were all about the same. He also greeted fans by headbutting them."

"Okay. Pash wasn't sure where Pander was going with this story.

"I ask, because it occurred to me that I could come up here and just make fun of your terrible team, but, looking at your roster and your record, I wondered if it might not be the case that, you too, are a severely mentally ill person with a history of repeated trauma to the head, and so, that you were being exploited by Smasher Dynamo, who is letting you in his Super-League to laugh at you just like people laughed at Wesley Willis."

"I don't think I'm mentally ill or have a history of mental trauma." Pash said defensively.

"Are you sure? I'm looking at this team, and are you sure that you aren't suffering from some sort of debilitating mental illness that would render you incapable of distinguishing reality from fiction?" Pander wanted to make sure.

"Pretty sure."

"Man, well, that's rough. So, this team, this is you at full mental capacity?" Pander asked. "That's rough, buddy. That's really rough."

GAME NOTES

-Lew Fonseca being good infuriates me to no end!

-The Commission are leading the Super-League in dingers, but they're also leading the league in lovely luck. That should balance out. Eventually.

-Pander's lineup doing this well should piss people much more than mrnoun's gimmick stadium. He's leading the league despite starting something called "Curt Walker"! That's wrong! People should be outraged!

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Can this team reach third place? Probably not with that pitching.

Analysis

How does Sam Crawford have eight home runs through 12 weeks? It boggles the mind!

Analysis

This is the weakest team in the division, probably, but it could eke out another third place division.

Analysis

I think I've said enough up above.

Analysis

The Zephyrs are not good on the road.

Analysis

ANIME!

Analysis

Brutal inevitability.

Analysis

A-Rod's not doing great.

Analysis

It turns out that using that many Kevin Browns is dangerous to one's health.

Analysis

Max Carey es no bueno!

Analysis

Any team that hits this many dingers can't stay down for long.

Analysis

We're rapidly reaching the point where the Kernels can start to run down the clock.

Analysis

I'm not entirely clear what the Super-League rule on PTBNLs is, but I doubt you're going to use Ryan or Wynn much anyway.

Analysis

Better. It looks like your pitching has stopped getting worse.

Analysis

If this team wins the Super-League, I'm refusing the let it challenge the Macho Men, because it wouldn't be a challenge for me at all.

Analysis

That Walker/Simmons platoon is murderous.

Analysis

Doom can only be averted for so long.

Analysis

This team looks good.

Analysis

You stick deadballers in front of the MACHINE, and good things are bound to happen.

Analysis

That's better, and the Nine should be able to overcome the Agenda, and we'll see what happens next season.

Analysis

Maybe use Wanderlei as a LR until we see whether the latest patch has fixed him.

Analysis

Is Marauder really going to kill this team?

Analysis

This team really couldn't afford another pitching injury. Yet, here we are.

Analysis

I am concerned your infield might explode. That could be bad.

Standings

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Swap Collins in for Meyeux at 2B in all lineups. Ugh this season is going badly, my bullpen is terrible.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

If this team wins the Super-League, I'm refusing the let it challenge the Macho Men, because it wouldn't be a challenge for me at all.
If I DO somehow, miraculously, get past the Doom, Bombers, and Kernals I sure as poo poo am not challenging the Machos. The Southpaws were as ready as it gets, this team is playing well above its head.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Well drat. On the plus side, if I get demoted I'll bet McFreeze is more likely to indulge my Solid/Liquid/Old/Naked/Punished "Venom" Brown idea.

Everything is suddenly going wrong!

Olerud and Foxx to the DL, Schalk and Mattingly take their place on the roster
Heilmann plays 1B, batting in Olerud's spot
Fisk takes over at C; I'll just ride him everyday until the ASB.
Replace George Uhle with Brendan Morrow
Gil McDougald replaced by Edgar Martinez
Once all those changes are done, press "sort lineup"

Thanks!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

A few platoons to give dudes rest.

Cliff Lee at C vs RHP
Emmet Heidrick at CF vs RHP

I'll let the Heinie injury sort itself out. Hopefully the AI shuffles Brouthers in, but I don't want to keep Manush's bat out of the lineup for the last 4 games of the week by putting Brouthers in for sure at DH.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

that was also the most accurate you've constructed my persona, too, RE: Wesley Willis. I get why he was popular, but his music wasn't exactly a fun listen.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Good thing I've already embraced the anime, what with Monathin having turned into The Anime. That should keep me safe for now.

As for the team, come on now. This team isn't great on the road, but we should have at least been able to avoid getting swept by the Villains. loving gently caress. I guess it's time to make some pitching changes now. I guess it would be easier to explain what I want to do with the billions of Schillings by just describing the changes as a series of swaps.

Swap SP3 Schilling and MRP2 Schilling
Swap Pedro and MRP1 Schilling
Swap SP5 Schilling and LR Schilling
Swap Pedro (now at MRP1) with Bumgarner

Pedro is getting worse week by week, so I guess his old has finally caught up with him, time to Old Yeller his rear end and put Bumgarner back in his spot. Otherwise, just swapping out Schillings for Schillings to see if they fare better than the first ones.

EDIT: Forzelt can finally rest easy now. The Five Schilling Rotation (With Sixth Schilling In Long Relief) has been restored.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 27, 2016

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

- Swap the LR Kaat and Eddie Plank

- Swap Matlack and Reardon

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Shawon Dunston posted:

You really want to make a tag team? Okay, much like I always have, I'll bring the starting pitching and IF+DH (that is, Ruth). Do you have the bullpen and OF+C to make it worthwhile?

I have piazza what more do you need!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

I have piazza what more do you need!

Disregard this poster and team with me, I also have a Piazza but I also bring Henderson/Speaker/Ott along with Rivera and Eckersley in the bullpen. :getin:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

oldskool posted:

Disregard this poster and team with me, I also have a Piazza but I also bring Henderson/Speaker/Ott along with Rivera and Eckersley in the bullpen. :getin:

gently caress You, We Are Doomsday

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

oldskool posted:

Yeah but you smell like dingus

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

First off, change Start on Short Rest to -5, so I can get Maddux some more starts.

Second, new lineups so Eddie Collins doesn't explode.

vs. RHP:
code:
CF - Hamilton
LF - Bonds
RF - Ruth
DH - Ramirez
C  - Berra
1B - Olerud
3B - Torre
SS - Vaughan
2B - Morgan
vs. LHP:
code:
C  - Torre
3B - Santo
RF - Ruth
DH - Ramirez
CF - Davis
LF - Bonds
1B - Olerud
SS - Vaughan
2B - Morgan

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

There is no safe place, there is no resistance, there is only anime. Anime. Wakarimas ka, Yesterday-kun?

Lineup changes:

Delehanty's sore again. Man-Ram in Left, Helton in DH, bench Delahanty for the week.

I guess I should do something so Gehrig doesn't get sore, either. Ugggh. Platoon Kelly vs LHP at 1B with Gehrig for the week. I think I should have a match against Hooks on the Commission, which should give Gehrig a day off.

LegendInTheMakin
Oct 4, 2015

johnfw50 posted:

I WOULD LIKE ANOTHER FIRST ROUND PICK
I am offering a 2001 John Olerud and a 1954 Robin Roberts plus maybe a 3rd round SD pick for a pick until the guys I want are gone.

Accepted

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Just to clarify, he gets my 3rd Round SD Pick, not the one I got from Morn.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I need hitting and relievers

LegendInTheMakin
Oct 4, 2015
Also I'd like to toss Olerud in for Stargell and Roberts into the starting rotation in McGinnity's spot., move McGinnity to LRP, send Cole back down to the Minors (sorry kid, you'll get your time) and also send Al Oliver (the first baseman) down to the minors as well.

Feel that.
-LitM

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

It was that drat Slug Lyfe, I tell you! Taking out Babe is one thing, taking my division lead is another, but going after The Thornton Lee is going over the line. Move The Thornton Lee to DL, slot Clint Brown into Setup, and prepare the summoning ritual for Ike Delock to pitch in Middle Relief. Let's rest some people in the meantime.

Batting order vs. RHP this week:

1. CF Maniac Magee
2. 2B Eddie Collins
3. DH Ted Williams
4. C Jimmie Foxx
5. SS Luke Appling
6. LF Wally Berger
7. 1B Jake Beckley
8. RF Sherry Magee
9. 3B George Kell

I don't know if we're facing LHP this week but if we are Babe will be healthy by then so vs. LHP:

1. CF Maniac Magee
2. 2B Eddie Collins
3. LF Ted Williams
4. DH Babe Ruth
5. RF Joe Jackson
6. 1B Jimmie Foxx
7. SS Luke Appling
8. C Gabby Hartnett
9. 3B George Kell

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

oldskool posted:

Well, since the Popes have had such better starting pitching than you, maybe you should just kiss each other, since you clearly want to.

Sub-Par Week... 12? Injury Report

Alethkar Shardblades
Roger Connor (1B) (Can't live without Olerud) - 31 days

Centralia Mines
Fred Lynn (CF) (DISASTER!) - 7 days

Excessive Bourgeois
Gregg Jefferies (1B) (He's got that willpower, he is just determined to be injured) - 62 days

Florida Oranges
John Franco (RP) (Who's got a good bullpen now?) - Out For Season

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

One could argue that my bullpen only increases in competence and value by removing a Met.

Let's move:
Franco to IR, and Gooden back to AAA.
#5 starter is now....I dunno, let's try Felix Hernandez
Joe Nathan to replace Franco as Short Relief.

And while I'm in the spreadsheet anyway, may as well fiddle with the rotation:
Alexander
Clemens
Mays
McDowell
Hernandez

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Ice To Meet You posted:

Well, since the Popes have had such better starting pitching than you, maybe you should just kiss each other, since you clearly want to.

Alethkar Shardblades

Centralia Mines

Excessive Bourgeois
Gregg Jefferies (1B) (He's got that willpower, he is just determined to be injured) - 62 days

Florida Oranges

Quoting myself

kensei posted:

Davis is already in at 3B right? Then who cares :lol:

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Ice To Meet You posted:

Alethkar Shardblades

Centralia Mines

Excessive Bourgeois

Florida Oranges
DL Roger Connor. Call up Gil Hodges and Mark Grace and platoon them at first

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Hey sorry im phoneposting & have the flu so getting the banner is literally more challenging than I can manage so smasher if you see this please send down Gary carter and replace him with Ted Simmons, thank you! Also everyone don't put off getting your flu shot like your pal dummymack

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

oldskool posted:

gently caress yeah man let's do it. Doomsday and gently caress You are dead, time for a whole new era. I'll work on a preliminary roster this evening.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Bah, of course The Rakers are still in 3rd :argh:

Can ya fix my A-Rod Smasher? The guy really is the worst AVG/OBP wise in Super League history now!!!!! :negative: ah well. Until then, I guess we'll just shove Sandberg at 3rd base because I didn't realize how bad Howard would be.

Also let's give Jeff Bagwell a week against RHP. Maybe he can do something cool.

Lineups:

code:
VS. RHP		                          |  VS. LHP
##    Position	 Player	           R/L/S  |  ##    Position   Player            R/L/S
01    2B         Joe Morgan         [L]   |  01    LF         Rickey Henderson   [R]
02    LF         Rickey Henderson   [R]   |  02    1B         Stan Musial        [L]
03    RF         Stan Musial        [L]   |  03    CF         Mickey Mantle      [S]
04    C          Josh Gibson        [R]   |  04    DH         Josh Gibson        [R]
05    DH         Mickey Mantle      [S]   |  05    RF         Gary Sheffield     [R]
06    1B         Jeff Bagwell       [R]   |  06    3B         Ryne Sandberg      [R]
07    3B         Ryne Sandberg      [R]   |  07    SS         Alan Trammell      [R]
08    CF         Duke Snider        [L]   |  08    C          Roy Campanella     [R]
09    SS         Alan Trammell      [R]   |  09    2B         Joe Morgan         [L] 
I don't really know what to do offensively ATM. It has never been this bad before. Gibson driving in his first RBI in 5 weeks I think speaks volumes about how rough this offense has been.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 28, 2016

Forzelt
Jul 23, 2012

Variance? Fuck that noise.
TKBomber: I was thinking this would be my half of the tag-team:

1B: 1995 Jim Thome/1966 Dick Allen
2B: 1935 Buddy Myer
SS: 2003 Derek Jeter
3B: 1996 Edgar Martinez
DH: 1932 Babe Ruth

Other bench piece is 2010 Derek Jeter. The bullpen would be...

Closer: 1970 Rollie Fingers
Setup: 1970 Rollie Fingers
SRP: 1995 Robb Nen
SRP: 1963 Don Drysdale
MRP: 1968 Don Drysdale
LRP: 1976 Don Sutton

Thoughts?

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

To get this draft going again, and to try and stopper the bleeding that is the Janus rotation right now, I'll select 1977 Tom Seaver in Mornacale's stead. Replace Felix with Seaver in the rotation and banish Felix to the minors. I'll make changes to the line-up after the update is posted tomorrow.

Given your love for some power pitching, and the fact that you give RHH a bonus and poo poo on LH power hitters, I feel this is the best choice, Mornacale. If you don't think so, :colbert:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That's extremely hosed up, CFBalla.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Give me Silver King

inky101
Nov 1, 2007

FairGame posted:

What good will that do when inky is MIA?

I'M RIGHT HERE, REPLYING IN LIGHTNING SPEED TO THIS POST, SEE? I WAS TOTES HERE THE WHOLE TIME, OKAY? .... LOOK, IT'S HARD BEING AN OCTOPUS ON THE INTERNET, OH GOD. :birddrugs:

TheMcD posted:

Well, you could make the trade requests to Monicro, who should be running the team in inky's absence. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to doom his own team.

My lawyer is too costly to employ that often. Also he keeps saying something about "learning to deal with this mess yourself"? and then something about baseball, I dunno. I'm here for the mascots and posting what he says to post. :gifttank:

inky101 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 28, 2016

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

Shawon Dunston posted:

gently caress yeah man let's do it. Doomsday and gently caress You are dead, time for a whole new era. I'll work on a preliminary roster this evening.
You still have to get past the team that killed those two, motherfucka!! :hellyeah:

Replace Hornsby with George Grantham. Send Hornsby to the DL. Call up Jack Glasscock to the bench. Please stop killing my infield. Line-up changes:

vs. RHP
SS The Masked Shortstop
3B Albert Pujols
1B Jim Bottomley
CF Willie Mays
LF Carl Yastrzemski
RF Frank Robinson
2B George Grantham
C Ted Simmons
P

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Glorious communism gazes wistfully at Lou Whitaker's unholy combination of dingers and defense at 2B, but eventually decides to select Rick Reuschel 1974.

we now commemorate his joining with the playing of the national anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrfWJRMh4jE

tbh this is just an excuse to play paul robeson but w/e

dinger comrade rabidsquid and his mexicutioners are up

inky101
Nov 1, 2007

Oh gently caress, oh jeeze, what the gently caress, stop this you baseballs, you aren't even real humans in the real world. MY MASCOTS ARE BETTER THEN YOU, TEAM. :frogsiren::gifttank:

George Brett goes to the sad zone. :darksouls:

~~~~~~~~ Ossie Bluege comes up. :gizz:

Replace Tris Speaker with Willy Mays. :regd09:<{save me}
Replace Alex Rodriguez with Ossie Bluege. :mediocre:
Replace Dick Dietz with THE loving BEST THING IN THIS WORLD AND BEYOND - ORBIT. :krakken:
Replace Dick Allen with Goose Goslin. :duckie:

Buddy Myer goes to 3rd base. :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Some changes!

1. Drop McCovey into the minors. That .200 batting average just will not do.
2. Move Goslin to the DH spot in all line-ups
3. Make Manush the full-time LF
4. Replace Carey with Medwick in RF
5. New line-up vs RHP:

1. Cobb CF
2. Manush LF
3. Goslin DH
4. Torre C
5. Musial 1B
6. Wagner SS
7. Rose 3B
8. Gehringer 2B