Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Scoss posted:

Which characters count as "religious"?

Is there an easier way to unequip trinkets than literally dragging them back into the trinket box?

Vestal, Crusader, and Leper are religious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God the Weald is just the worst. I wish I had the option to just set the Weald on fire

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Harrow posted:

Vestal, Crusader, and Leper are religious.
As well as anyone with the 'God Fearing' quirk.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Internet Kraken posted:

I honestly prefer it. Much easier to get a setup that prevents the nighttime ambush. No more ghouls criting my guys for 50 stress damage with one skull toss.

Is it just me, or do nighttime ambushes happen way more often nowadays? I seriously hold my breath every time I hit the camp button in a champion dungeon without a guard buff

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I don't have any stats or nothin but it sure feels like they turned nighttime ambushes way up maybe 1 patch before release

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
hag killed dimas :qq:

gently caress you hag

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
e:^^^^^ I remember the Hag caused my only death in early access. She's not kidding around.

RIP my only Grave Robber, speared to death by some fishman. Entirely my fault for pushing on to the last fight even though there was some low health. I had tried to dodge-tank her, but she had only 29 hp max due to a locked-in fragile trait and she folded like a cheap suit .

At least I won the mission/At least I have more roster space now :suicide:. I'm less than 50 deeds from a perfect blacksmith, I just need to stop losing heroes to Champion dungeons... Going to stop for tonight since I think I'm on tilt.

VVVVV: There are a few options. You can try to reduce the likelihood through torches/camp buffs, but this won't be sufficient. In general, if you're investing gold in a hero try and give them at least one skill in case they get shuffled around. This won't work on every hero (leper comes to mind), but you can also emphasize attackes that include a move like Holy Lance or Duelist's Advance in order to unfuck your order.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 27, 2016

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any advice on dealing with surprise? I'm very new to the game.

Tried my first medium dungeon, got surprised, and lost two characters because their positioning was so hosed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elderbean posted:

Any advice on dealing with surprise? I'm very new to the game.

Tried my first medium dungeon, got surprised, and lost two characters because their positioning was so hosed.

You can't get surprised by encounters that you've scouted, so using camp skills/trinkets that have a scouting bonus helps.

Also, avoid using too many characters with strict positioning limits and have repositioning abilities available whenever possible (at least when you're exploring unscouted areas.)

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I tried force levelling a Leper in a short Champion dungeon with 3 level sixes but I forgot to bring shovels. In the Weald.

Long story short the stress hosed everyone up. My own fault for pushing on. I had a teamwipe in a single turn due to heart attacks inflicting on Death's Door for all three survivors after the Leper was ground to dust by the Occultist's bleed proc. Lost some really good trinkets including Dismas's Head.

Don't try to powerlevel dudes and for gods sake don't forget to bring shovels to the goddamn Weald.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Is a trap's higher resistance to disarming on higher level expeditions factored into a character's trap disarm chance when you hover over their icon near a scouted trap? Unless it was some sad RNG, of course, my Crusader with a displayed 90% chance to disarm three traps in a row happened to fail all three. It is sad when I neglect to bring a disarming adept class but then the icon makes me believe I've got a good shot.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I've had failure with a 135%, so I expect that there's a hidden modifier for deeper dungeons, yes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think the disarm chances are for apprentice-level dungeons and that higher level ones have a hidden modifier to that chance. It could stand to be a bit more informative.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Internet Kraken posted:

I watched a youtube video the other day of a guy saying over and over "I cannot possibly win these fights". Rather than retreating, he kept mashing his guys into the enemy until he lost everything.

He'd been playing the game for over a loving year.

Oh God you're talking about me, aren't you?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Time_pants posted:

Oh God you're talking about me, aren't you?

Unless this is you, then no. Not too say there aren't people who wouldn't do the same thing in the face of crushing despair.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

To all those who hate Jesters, I finally found a good use for them.

This single guy right here? He helped me get past the first stage of the Darkest Dungeon with the Shuffling Horror. He managed stress dealt by the cultists like a champion to the point where I could use my camping buffs on the second-to-last room entirely on -Stress DMG buffs on everyone. The other teammates helped slice up and stun the competition.

So if you're hating on Jesters, take one along to the first step of the Darkest Dungeon. Your dudes will come out quite happy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Olive Branch posted:

To all those who hate Jesters, I finally found a good use for them.

This single guy right here? He helped me get past the first stage of the Darkest Dungeon with the Shuffling Horror. He managed stress dealt by the cultists like a champion to the point where I could use my camping buffs on the second-to-last room entirely on -Stress DMG buffs on everyone. The other teammates helped slice up and stun the competition.

So if you're hating on Jesters, take one along to the first step of the Darkest Dungeon. Your dudes will come out quite happy.

Please, please tell me that Bounty Hunter is bleeding thanks to the Occultist.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please, please tell me that Bounty Hunter is bleeding thanks to the Occultist.
Actually, in this run, the bleed was entirely due to the enemies. My Occultist procced just one bleed heal near the start of the dungeon. I didn't have a cleansing crystal, and just as well, because I wanted my Occultist to get all the +Eldritch Damage he could get with trinkets. He actually spent most of the dungeon stabbing people.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Actually it makes sense that Jesters are good in the Darkest Dungeon. It's like stress centeral. Especially if you try it real quick on NG+. Some attacks hit for 60 stress, shits insane.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"I should try a Dark Run. People say they're good for loot."

Hello first Shambler Encounter. Killed it, but it cost me my first actual loss and nearly wiped me. I'd have lost the Head of Dismas if it had.

Sorry, Auber the Occultist. I got overconfident and now you're the first to die.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

For what it's worth, when I let the torch lower for better loot, I still stay above total darkness, I still haven't fought a shambler yet.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Scoss posted:

Is there an easier way to unequip trinkets than literally dragging them back into the trinket box?

One of the buttons on the top right of the trinket box is an 'unequip all trinkets'

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FreeKillB posted:

overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

For what it's worth, when I let the torch lower for better loot, I still stay above total darkness, I still haven't fought a shambler yet.

At least it gave me an Ancestor Trinket. And I'll have to keep that in mind.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Shamblers only show up in total darkness, and every step of light down gives you increased loot chances. Unless you're running trinkets requiring 75+ light, consider always trying to run in the 50-75 bracket (you'll get bonus loot ~25% of the time). The enemies will be a bit harder, but it shouldn't be too much, and if poo poo is going south you brought torches so you can up the light.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ZypherIM posted:

Shamblers only show up in total darkness, and every step of light down gives you increased loot chances. Unless you're running trinkets requiring 75+ light, consider always trying to run in the 50-75 bracket (you'll get bonus loot ~25% of the time). The enemies will be a bit harder, but it shouldn't be too much, and if poo poo is going south you brought torches so you can up the light.

Are the torch tool tips wrong or is this poster wrong?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, hi, Collector. It's nice to meet you here, immediately after the loving Shambler.

I think the game realized I was starting to feel comfortable.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Chomp you've posted enough in the thread to know I'm not going to be wrong haha.

Here is the bit about bonuses straight from the files.

code:
"darkness_bonuses" :
   [
      {
         "type" : "battle",
         "bonuses" :
         [
            { "darkness" : 0, "chance" : 0.75, "codes" : [ "B", "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 1, "chance" : 0.75, "codes" : [ "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 25, "chance" : 0.5, "codes" : [ "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 51, "chance" : 0.25, "codes" : [ "B" ] },
            { "darkness" : 76, "chance" : 0, "codes" : [ "B" ] }
         ]
      },
      {
         "type" : "chest",
         "bonuses" :
         [
            { "darkness" : 0, "chance" : 0.95, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 1, "chance" : 0.75, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 25, "chance" : 0.5, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 51, "chance" : 0.25, "codes" : [ "A" ] },
            { "darkness" : 76, "chance" : 0, "codes" : [ "A" ] }
         ]
      }
   ],

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I do not understand how to make money in this game.

Weel 30, still less 2k money. My entire roster is stressed out and they all have afflictions.

My one good guy hit level 3 and then I spent 2K on upgrading his armor before I realized that he couldn't do any quests anymore.

So I guess fire my worst guys and use fresh hires to do dark runs?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Snak posted:

Weel 30, still less 2k money. My entire roster is stressed out and they all have afflictions.

My one good guy hit level 3 and then I spent 2K on upgrading his armor before I realized that he couldn't do any quests anymore.

Or take your worst guys and take them on no-provision runs into short areas and retreat before they die so you keep the loot. (or finish the quest, if you can!)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Snak posted:

Give us the lowdown on your expenses.

I'm currently somewhere around week 15 sitting on an easy 50k so you're likely spending money you don't need to yet.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

As you get better you'll start having a lot less money problems. Full dark runs might be a bit frustrating if you're having stress problems off of the level 1 dungeon stuff.

What size is your roster? How often are you sending guys to get stress relieved? What are your provisions for a short and medium mission like? Do you know the curio interactions?

If the list is jam-packed with problems, fire 4 guys with crappy perks that you don't mind not having around (probably keep your healers!). Grab 4 off the coach, send them in with 4 food and 6 torches, run your light at 51-75. If they're fine at the end and you liked the party, upgrade their weapon/armor to level 1, and their main attack skill to level 1, and keep using them. Send people to the first stress relief place in either bar or abbey, it is cheaper than the lower ones. A minimal amount of busts can get you to 2 slots pretty easily, and don't worry about not having sanitarium upgrades yet, don't waste your money there.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Just remember that if you retreat and end up with a level 0 guy with stress, he's literally worse than someone fresh off the stagecoach. A level 1 guy with a big pile of stress not really much better than a fresh level 0 (unless you've invested in upgrades), especially if you're tight for cash. I guess level 2's and level 1's with less stress are worth keeping. If you have someone with a moderate amount of stress just leaving them in town will give ~5 stress heal per week.

For me the key to making cash is bringing an assortment of miscellaneous provision items: herbs, key, etc. in order to get positive interactions with curios. I generally make cash in my apprentice runs and then piss it away getting my champions wrecked.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 27, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ZypherIM posted:

Chomp you've posted enough in the thread to know I'm not going to be wrong haha.

I don't know what this is referring too. I cannot recall even a single interaction we've had. Also I have like eight posts and most of them are inconsequential.

In any case I was asking because the torch tool tips don't start saying "+ loot" until <50. So it's the tool tip that is wrong. That is what I was asking.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Now I'm curious. Are the tool tips also lying about scouting and surprise modifiers?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know what this is referring too. I cannot recall even a single interaction we've had. Also I have like eight posts and most of them are inconsequential.

In any case I was asking because the torch tool tips don't start saying "+ loot" until <50. So it's the tool tip that is wrong. That is what I was asking.

I may be confused with another thread! My bad. Yea the tooltips are a bit vague for that.

I haven't found the scouting/surprise changes based on light, though I haven't looked very hard.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I thought I was doing pretty well. I have a size 15 roster, and I was working on a 3-team rotation, but I kept spending all my money upgrading guys and fixing them. Now I'm basically back to square one. I have a decent amount of hamlet upgrades. I have general idea about the curio interactions, but I'm still wasting stuff trying it when I'm not sure.

I haven't had the resources to outfit for a medium mission for at least 3 hours of playtime, don't know how many missions. I've been just barely breaking even on my short missions.

If I have like 2k to outfit for a mission, I'll take like 8 food (which is probably too much for a short mission) 4-6 torches, and a few bandages and antivenoms. if I have money left over, I will bring curio items like 1-2 of keys, herbs, and holy waters.

But yeah, I'm a lot better at the game now, so it makes sense that if I just fire most of my afflicted people and get some fresh ones I could do a lot better with less expenses.

I

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
food - 50 gold
torches - 200 gold
medicinal herbs - 50 gold
shovels - 75000 gold

please help me budget this my hamlet is dying

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Snak posted:

I kept spending all my money...fixing them.
This right here is probably your biggest money sink. With the exception of quirks like Kleptomania or ones that greatly inhibit stress relief (Known Cheat is fine, Gambler is bad), your dudes aren't worth even the consideration of fixing them until they're at least second level. If you get a guy with too many issues, dismiss him or send him on a suicide mission with a bunch of other crackpots. If you're doing the latter you don't even need to send them with any provisions, though a key and a shovel might be wise.

Snak posted:

If I have like 2k to outfit for a mission, I'll take like 8 food (which is probably too much for a short mission) 4-6 torches, and a few bandages and antivenoms. if I have money left over, I will bring curio items like 1-2 of keys, herbs, and holy waters.
This is likely your second biggest sink. For a short mission, 6 foodstuffs and 8 torches are typically plenty. Don't bother with bandages on a short mission, or antivenom for that matter. Maybe one or two items for curio interactions but no more.

Finally, if you have faith in your team, don't be afraid to do a few dark runs. They pay well assuming you survive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

After a spate of upgrading my guys, I was nearly broke and depending on that short Dark Run to make me the money back. Shambler happened, as I said, and so I was left with only the 3000 GP I'd picked up to outfit a long run in the ruins.

Collector happened, but I killed the fucker and moved on, and managed to make 18k. My terrible financial sense hasn't sunk me yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
If you're successfully completing those missions, you should be clearing significantly more than 2k per mission. I think you should be focusing on where that remainder is being spent.

If the remainder is going in to upgrades for your mainline characters, that's good: higher upgrades tends to mean less attrition, leading to more success and less stress.

If the remainder is going to sanitarium/stress relief, then it's a problem. I think negative quirk management is way too expensive for what it does early on, although diseases suck and are cheaper to treat. Stress relief is quite expensive if your goal is having everybody at 0 stress always. I don't hesitate to send someone with 40ish stress into an apprentice dungeon, and tend to reserve abbey/tavern slots for occaisional use by my better-upgraded heroes who are above 60 stress, ie enough that waiting for it to go down otherwise would take too long.

I would say that my minimum loadout for a short dungeon would be 1 shovel, 4 food, and 4 torches. My standard loadout is more like 8 of each instead, though I tend to overprepare. I also try to take 1 of each provision for curio management even on short dungeons, but it's not really recessary. I would say to do light levels based on your comfort level, since the increased loot would generally be outweighed by the penalties of having to abandon the quest.