Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Yay, finally unlocked Rogue's B-skin. Took 4 tries at the Captain but I got it. If not for a heavy assault I found just before the Captain, I would have kept Rogue's rifle till the end. That and a gatling slugger did her in. Took bolt marrow but only found a basic crossbow and at that point I had the gatling slugger. That's everyone's B-skins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like scrapyard a lot actually. It's about that point in the game that you start getting good weapons usually

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Design - wise I find myself having the least amount of fun in scrapyard generally

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I finally got all the crowns. :toot:

Not gonna bother with getting all crowns on all characters though, that sounds dull.

ninjewtsu posted:

Design - wise I find myself having the least amount of fun in scrapyard generally
Yeah I feel like the fire traps are more like boring speed traps. Crows also have a tendency to fly to faraway/dumb parts of the map, which can slow you down in stupid ways. At least hammerhead gets rid of fire traps.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Fire traps are lame but I like fighting the enemies there, dealing with sniper's LoS is cool especially with how crows are likely to lay down a lot of shots.. I'll take crows sometimes flying to annoying places as the price for that anyday

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most of my favorite weapons start appearing in world 4 and 5, like the smart gun, heavy machinegun, seeker shotgun, gatling bazooka, etc. So the scrapyard is a bit of a chore to get through. But going to the oasis doesn't get you to those weapons any faster, and then you're stuck against big dog with a revolver and screwdriver.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i think i generally have the most fun in either crystal caves or the palace

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really wish the fire traps didn't exist in the scrapyard or anywhere at all because they seem against the spirit of the game somehow. otherwise i really like the scrapyard in general.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

ninjewtsu posted:

i think i generally have the most fun in either crystal caves or the palace

Crystal caves just because the enemies there have nice crunchy death sounds :getin:

Cracking crabs open with a sledgehammer all day

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
They could just replace the trap with something that shoots few bullets a second after you walk in front of it or something; It'd still be a trap you have to be mindful of but you wouldn't be stuck waiting at them like goddamn traffic lights. Alternately make the fire come out of only one side and also never have them spawn in walls so there's always a little gap around them.

Like other people were saying it's not really that they're hard to deal with once you're used to the game, they're just speed bumps you can't stop (unless you have a melee weapon and you swing your way through the fire like a total B.A.).

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
One of many great arguments for taking Hammerhead is the incredible ease of dealing with fire traps.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Until you slide off the side of one before the digging kicks in and burn to death :shepface:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

quadrophrenic posted:

Crystal caves just because the enemies there have nice crunchy death sounds :getin:

Cracking crabs open with a sledgehammer all day

those crystal crabs that leave spider webs everywhere

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

monny posted:

Until you slide off the side of one before the digging kicks in and burn to death :shepface:

DON'T GET HIT

monny
Oct 20, 2008

EVERYTHING HURTS

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

oddium posted:

those crystal crabs that leave spider webs everywhere
Yeah, those crabs. They're pretty hosed up

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

hitboxes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQiQJByRJ3w

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, had my best run yet only to find out that Boiling Veins doesn't protect against toxic gas explosions.

Also, I unlocked Steroids and frankly I'm convinced he's the best character in the game. I know everyone says that Crystal has all the huge defensive options, but Steroids either has insane-o firepower (I got Throne Butt and Recycle Gland with Bouncer SMGs which was just filling the screen with infinite bullets at all times) or you can just keep a wrench on auto-fire for what is essentially being able to block/reflect like Crystal while still firing another gun the entire time. The only advantage Crystal has is you can turtle up through some crazy explosions.

Edit: On top of that, Steroids just feels the best to use, pressing both shoulder buttons at the same time without having to put a lot of thought into it and just playing full-on Robotron.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 25, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

how the hell did he survive the van.

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.
I am really liking the double melee steroid. If I can get two shovels I am pretty close to invincible

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PleasingFungus posted:

how the hell did he survive the van.
If an enemy is in hitstun they can't do contact damage

Zero VGS posted:

Welp, had my best run yet only to find out that Boiling Veins doesn't protect against toxic gas explosions.

Also, I unlocked Steroids and frankly I'm convinced he's the best character in the game. I know everyone says that Crystal has all the huge defensive options, but Steroids either has insane-o firepower (I got Throne Butt and Recycle Gland with Bouncer SMGs which was just filling the screen with infinite bullets at all times) or you can just keep a wrench on auto-fire for what is essentially being able to block/reflect like Crystal while still firing another gun the entire time. The only advantage Crystal has is you can turtle up through some crazy explosions.

Edit: On top of that, Steroids just feels the best to use, pressing both shoulder buttons at the same time without having to put a lot of thought into it and just playing full-on Robotron.
Steroids is really good but he's not as good for top scores as Melting/Skeleton. basically all the world records recently have been with those

he's maybe the best for speedrunning though, with Plant a close second

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 26, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

the best character is the one you have the most fun with

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr. Despair posted:

the best character is the one you have the most fun with

bold claim... controversial......

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

IronicDongz posted:

If an enemy is in hitstun they can't do contact damage
Steroids is really good but he's not as good for top scores as Melting/Skeleton. basically all the world records recently have been with those

he's maybe the best for speedrunning though, with Plant a close second

He is definitely the best by leagues for speedrunning. Steroids WR pace is well under 4 minutes now, and he is the fastest/easiest to race with. No one comes anywhere near that DPS he has at the start with two revolvers (60), and he can turn low-tier weapons like 2 assault rifles into a colossal power build that burns right through the first loop. Y.V. is next up for speediness and plant is okay at it, given the ideal build.

WR for top score is one thing (they can retry and retry until they get the build they want) but there's always a decent amount of variety in the top 20 dailies. You'd have a decent chance at #1 with steroids or any other character you're really good with, really.

First time I've ever even seen this gun, yet alone used it, I picked up a super disc gun while I was streaming this morning. Youtube

Smite fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 26, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Doctor should have been steroids, otherwise, perfect

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
loving Mimic Health Crate?! Are you serious?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Zero VGS posted:

loving Mimic Health Crate?! Are you serious?

Surprise! It's like super rare. :P

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Whee, finally reached the Nuclear Throne after 13 hours playtime.

Managed it with Eyes, mutations were Euphoria, Gamma Guts, Boiling Veins, Rhino Skin, Rabbit Foot, Impact Wrists, and Hammerhead.

I just know that Euphoria was more than enough to pretty much shut down all bullets even without Throne Butt, and enemy AI is really dumb about getting dragged into walls, letting me wrench them to death from the other side even without long arms. Hammerhead really is amazing against Lil' Hunter so thanks to whoever suggested that, I made a 1-tile path and funneled a flame shotgun into him.

Is it my imagination or does Impact Wrists cause melee to do more damage, even on single targets? Really seems that way. If it's not the case, they should do that since it fits the flavor of the mutation.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
So I like never play Eyes, because I'm never sure how to use his active. I usually just hold down RMB at all times, in all areas except labs/caves/sewers. Is that how you're supposed to play eyes?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Hold down rmb if there's bullets you're worried about or enemies/pickups you want closer.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Man today daily is shotgun centrist as gently caress, still died in the palace because i'm a chump. Still I have made a youtube playlist with uplifting songs to listen to while playing nuclear throne.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Nothing like toilet bowl vocals to get me going in the morning

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ElMaligno posted:

Man today daily is shotgun centrist as gently caress, still died in the palace because i'm a chump. Still I have made a youtube playlist with uplifting songs to listen to while playing nuclear throne.

same

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

pussy riot police posted:

Nothing like toilet bowl vocals to get me going in the morning

This playlist should have wider market appeal to todays youth i guess.

A good playlist imo.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I was being half sarcastic. I do enjoy death metal. Surprised that you didn't go with the original Raining Blood

ElMaligno posted:

A good playlist imo.

I concur

monny
Oct 20, 2008

There's nothing quite like being hosed over by an unexpected hostile Horror :shepface:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

pussy riot police posted:

I was being half sarcastic. I do enjoy death metal. Surprised that you didn't go with the original Raining Blood

I just wanted to make a playlist with death metal, slayer belongs to a trash metal playlist.

Also I use slayer to weightlift so a slayer playlist would effectively a steroids playlist.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ElMaligno posted:

I just wanted to make a playlist with death metal, slayer belongs to a trash metal playlist.

Also I use slayer to weightlift so a slayer playlist would effectively a steroids playlist.

Do you mean thrash metal?

Steroids wouldn't get those confused, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

READ A BOOK

• Locked thread