Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Captain Log posted:

Not sure. I had a lot of people recommend loving yoga and while I'm sure it would be helpful I can't abide that being my best bet.

Maybe I should go back to a sport I was sort of good at ten years ago. (fencing)

Powerlifting is fun and makes you look scary after a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Maybe I should go back to a sport I was sort of good at ten years ago. (fencing)

I think I already did this, but - do this.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
seconding the yoga recommendation. they absolutely can be an rear end-kicker and you'll strengthen all your seldom-worked stabiliser muscles and achieve excellent flexibility. i might go back actually.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Cross posting this from the A/T martial arts thread:

quote:

I have some gear I want to get rid of, and here's probably a better place than SA mart:

Fuji Judo gi & white belt, size 5 -- Never worn. It's yours if you pay shipping and you're new at judo.

Grab & Pull Premium V3 Unbleached BJJ gi & pants, size A3 -- http://www.martialartssupplies.com/gpv3-unbleached-gi.html -- Looks pretty brown, wore it once and felt weird as hell standing out at the gym while being bad at BJJ. And I have enough gis anyway. Make an offer, plus shipping.

Can ship from Canada or US. I'll be in the US later this week for just a few days, though, so Americans will have to hop on it quick to save some bucks on shipping.

PM me if you want em

Keg fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 25, 2016

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I'm probably being too flippant with the yoga recommendations. Part of me wants to pretend I never got the diagnosis seeing as how I went my whole drat life doing contact sports and never ended up paralyzed. But then again ending up paralyzed would blow...a whole bunch. I guess it's just hard to accept an avenue of your life, even one you didn't visit often, is permanently closed.

I'll look up my old fencing coach and see how the Nashville scene looks. Fencing is surprisingly brutal (I once got my armpit ripped open through my protective gear!) and fills that hardcore need if I remember correctly. And lol at whoever thought I'm looking for something to teach me how to fight. I covered that previously in life in muay thai. (The trick is punch and run. Or run then punch. Either/or)

It's still unsettling when I look in the mirror and see a foot long gnarly scar on my gut. It turns my stomach but I'll get used to it.

I appreciate it goons.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Do HEMA rather than fencing, you can grapple in HEMA if need be

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Rabhadh posted:

Do HEMA rather than fencing, you can grapple in HEMA if need be

I googled it and think the concept looks cool but ahhhh...that'sa....bunch'a........fat dudes and really skinny guys and it makes me nervous.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Thats fair enough yeah

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Did another tournament and ... holy poo poo, never doing MMAC Grappling again. The dude who runs it is a nice guy and I'm used to tournaments running an hour or two late but there's no excuse for having divisions start over four hours late. Men's divisions were supposed to start at 1pm ... my first match was at 6:20pm.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

IT BEGINS posted:

Did another tournament and ... holy poo poo, never doing MMAC Grappling again. The dude who runs it is a nice guy and I'm used to tournaments running an hour or two late but there's no excuse for having divisions start over four hours late. Men's divisions were supposed to start at 1pm ... my first match was at 6:20pm.

Yeah that was brutal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I googled it and think the concept looks cool but ahhhh...that'sa....bunch'a........fat dudes and really skinny guys and it makes me nervous.
Swords attract very stereotypically geeky people. :shrug: If you find a competitive club, people tend more towards the fit end of the spectrum, especially after having trained a year or so. See if there's a club near you and go check them out at least, swords are cool.

Here's a thing that happened in a longsword competition on the weekend:
http://i.imgur.com/sIQyN5G.webm
It's staged, though.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I'd probably stick to FMA (har har pun) or fencing. Grappling in HEMA can be unforgiving - my judo mate competes HEMA and dislocated an opponent's shoulder last summer: (mildly NSFL but you can't really see much underneath the armour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywZTVvc878

e: ha looks like my buddy performed the same move as in that gif.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Bangkero posted:

I'd probably stick to FMA (har har pun) or fencing. Grappling in HEMA can be unforgiving - my judo mate competes HEMA and dislocated an opponent's shoulder last summer: (mildly NSFL but you can't really see much underneath the armour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywZTVvc878

e: ha looks like my buddy performed the same move as in that gif.

IPPON

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Everyone who does HEMA is always like "no man its way less lame than you think" and every single thing ive seen of it makes me think its exactly as lame as i thought

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah every time I see HEMA I just see a bunch of non-athletes playing LARP and not doing basic poo poo like working out and practicing good technique.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I really think fencing is the answer. I loved it and actually got a rank back in the day. FD is right.

I've done some LARPY stuff when I was really young and while it was better than eating Cheetos it was a magnate for weirdness and thinking any of that is competitive is a joke.

In a Walking Dead type scenario fencers will be useful. I'll just keep telling myself that if I get down on the practicality of being an antenna waving freak.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I did a hema type class with a friend once. He's a goon who does it regularly with his wife, and they owns their own gear. I got hit in the helmet and chest a bunch and once across the back of the head. It was fun to check out once, but not really my thing. It could be a good workout if you wanted to make it a good workout, but there were quite a few people in the room who I could tell would never ever in a million years want to go hard and burn heavy calories.

I was once invited to take part in one of those foam sword larp things because I'm a games guy and know games people. My response was "no thanks, I prefer real fighting."

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I try to be as supportive of it as possible because it's a gateway for nerds to get fit and maybe take up a better martial art

But I still make fun of it secretly in my head

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I had no idea HEMA actually involved valiant knight armor - I thought it was that wooden sword martial art where you wear a helmet and some pads.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Isn't hema basically just koryu or obsolete judo with a little white pride worldwide spin? And just like judo can't you be the absolute best in the world and still be a big sloppy fat guy?

david carmichael fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 27, 2016

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

origami posted:

I had no idea HEMA actually involved valiant knight armor - I thought it was that wooden sword martial art where you wear a helmet and some pads.

I believe the official uniform is Knight armor with a HEMA sanctioned fedora.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Y'all made me open up my memory book!

My fencing club was a mish mash of really loving good fencers who weren't affiliated with a college yet AND a bunch of hard drinking ex-1990's Olympians in epee. Our coach had a deal with a guy who owned a building downtown so we fenced with a panoramic view of the city in what looked like a bombed out parking garage. It added a very post-apocalyptic feel to the whole thing. People always came by to watch and film.

I'm on the right

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

david carmichael posted:

Isn't hema basically just koryu or obsolete judo with a little white pride worldwide spin? And just like judo can't you be the absolute best in the world and still be a big sloppy fat guy?

Actually judo is officially a real sport now because the best guy in the world is a 7 foot tall black guy on steroids.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

manyak posted:

Actually judo is officially a real sport now because the best guy in the world is a 7 foot tall black guy on steroids.
although he only fights big sloppy fat guys so who really knows how legit he is.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I try to be as supportive of it as possible because it's a gateway for nerds to get fit and maybe take up a better martial art

But I still make fun of it secretly in my head

I've never seen a real life person doing HEMA that looked like they could run more than a couple miles or looked like they had an impressive squat or deadlift.

Actually I imagine they don't do any training at all and just bash each other with swords all day.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I am going to do HEMA

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I was diagnosed with acute hema.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I got this guy in a triangle at practice like i always do (he never loving learns) and I said 'wow, youre going to let me get this straight away huh' as i was slapping my leg over his back and he seemed to get really pissed and reached down and started squeezing my throat with his fingers so i started pulling on the back of his head and squeezed with my legs about 90% power seeing as he was digging his fingers into my throat and he tapped immediately and I let go, and as we parted, he gets in my face and says 'dont ever talk poo poo like that to me again' and he looks mad pissed at me. What I said really wasn't that bad, and the coach jumped in straight away and told him to cool down and for me to play defensively only now so it was all awkward after that, I was just holding closed guard while he failed to pass. Waste of a roll tbh. But my coach said later 'you need to worry about protecting his body when grappling, not protecting is ego' so that makes sense.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Some people just don't handle it well when they realize another man could kill them at will via crotch to face. Remember, real Republicans don't lay under a grown man with their legs spread.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

People who really don't like tapping are the most fun people to tap, though. Sometimes you can just see it subtly in their eyes or their demeanour, and they try to hide it. I usually forget who tapped me with what, or who I tapped with what, but I fondly remember every time I tapped somebody and they were salty about it. The goal is to keep the straightest, calmest face you can afterwards, and act like you aren't tired at all. If you're a little round fat guy, even better.

I really enjoy the "aggressive roll with the buff new guy", too, because it keeps my fundamentals sharp. I think I aspire to fill the enforcer role?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm pretty friendly with everyone I roll with.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

1st AD posted:

Actually I imagine they don't do any training at all and just bash each other with swords all day.

Ok I wasn't really interested before but you're doing a pretty good job selling this

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I try to be friendly with everyone I roll with since I'm a tiny baby man and I don't want to get smashed.

Then I'll catch someone in a bolt cutter guillotine and Zoidberg away before they can get me back

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Half the time when I finish a roll with someone newer I'll show them how to defend/avoid that thing that I caught them in, especially if it was the result of a big mistake like trying to gi choke me or kimura me from inside my guard. I don't think "learning" comments like that, whether it's while rolling or when stopped, are out of line at all. The guy sounds like a prick.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Neirbo, why be a wideo?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Because its grappling and I've been choked a million times and had partners say funny little comments a million times and its no big deal. Leave the ego at the door if you ask me.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
If it was me, I'd be developing a triangle-centric gameplan for this guy from now on. Working them from the mount, transition from armbar, transition from omoplata, etc. Use it as a chance to challenge yourself and grow.

I won't lie, there's a couple of aspects of my game that were developed and refined because it made certain training partners lose their poo poo to be caught by it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I've told him many times that he needs to stack me and make sure he moves to the correct side and always 'both arms in or both arms out' but it legit shocked me that he was so salty. I'm a seriously bad grappler too as you can tell from my previous posts in this thread.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
You gotta know your audience, some people you can be like "suck it bitch" when you tap them and its funny and some people if you offer them friendly advice will come after you in the parking lot. It takes all kinds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Exactly, no need