Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm making bourbon rickeys while lodged up in the Snowghazi blizzard because I have a ton of limes I want to use and don't feel like making last words. I regret nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Maestro posted:

I like champs elyssees also.

Is there a recipe you're fond of? I tried the original Savoy one (1 1/2oz brandy, 1/2 green chartreuse, 3/4 lemon, 1/2 1:1 simple, dash of Angostura) tonight based solely on your post and while there was definitely something good going on there it was way too sweet for my tastes and it also sorta just came off as "a cocktail with chartreuse in it". I wanna experiment with the ratios over the next few days, because in my experience a lot of pre-prohibition stuff leans toward being too sweet for me in general, but please let me know if there's a recipe that works well for you. Green Chartreuse & brandy sounded amazing in my head but those measurements didn't really live up to my expectations

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

Is there a recipe you're fond of? I tried the original Savoy one (1 1/2oz brandy, 1/2 green chartreuse, 3/4 lemon, 1/2 1:1 simple, dash of Angostura) tonight based solely on your post and while there was definitely something good going on there it was way too sweet for my tastes and it also sorta just came off as "a cocktail with chartreuse in it". I wanna experiment with the ratios over the next few days, because in my experience a lot of pre-prohibition stuff leans toward being too sweet for me in general, but please let me know if there's a recipe that works well for you. Green Chartreuse & brandy sounded amazing in my head but those measurements didn't really live up to my expectations

You know, I've always used yellow out of necessity. Same basic recipe, but I do more like 3 dash ango and 1/4 oz simple and probably 1.75 oz brandy. I always thought it was middling, but tried it with a nicer cognac and it was much much better. It went from sweet and average to rich smooth and delicious. I bet it's even better with green chartreuse. Maybe split the base with bourbon.

For last words, they're like negronis in that the ratio is perfect but once you've had a bunch you have to mess with the ratios. I like a little extra gin and a little less maraschino.

I do wanna thank you guys (i think it was you even goferchan) for camparties. My brunch menu will have a "campari sanguinea" with campari, gin, grapefruit, oj, lillet blanc, and topped with lager. So delicious. Its a total gateway to loving campari.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Anyone who messes with a last word spec will be first against the wall.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I just had a delightful cuff of the moment cocktail with brunch today. Basically 1oz vodka 0.5 Oz chambord 0.5 Oz pineapple, top with cranberry juice. So, I think the ratio could use some fiddling but other than that good.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just had a delightful cuff of the moment cocktail with brunch today. Basically 1oz vodka 0.5 Oz chambord 0.5 Oz pineapple, top with cranberry juice. So, I think the ratio could use some fiddling but other than that good.

So a french martini with a cranberry float?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
*pulls down $4000 sunglasses* I think you'll find a french martini uses vanilla vodka

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I ordered a last word thanks to this thread. The waiter came back to the table and said they didn't have any cherry liqueur, so they just dropped some brandy soaked cherries in there for a while. Oh well. It was good anyway.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
thank you all, I'm happy there's a bunch of enablers here. Now I can go get a bottle of luxardo

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 24, 2016

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I have twice spent my last $30 on a bottle of Luxardo. I'm not necessarily proud of that decision, and it was a different time in my life, but it's part of who I am.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Now everyone can make aviations and last words like the other cool kids ;)

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

Anyone who messes with a last word spec will be first against the wall.

What's your gin of choice?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Tanq y'all.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

I'm with you on that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bombay Dry.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
hayman's old tom for a lot of the prohibition era cocktails.

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 25, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Something you made in your bathtub for a lot of the Prohibition-era cocktails.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Something you made in your bathtub for a lot of the Prohibition-era cocktails.

*shrugs* I'll caveat my statement by saying that I find a lot of the prohibition cocktail-era cocktails (aviations, last words, etc.,) being too bitter for my liking, and rather than adding more sugar to balance things out, I'd rather add a sweeter type of gin, like the old tom, rather than adding something like plymouth and THEN adding some sugar to make things more balanced. I dunno though, i'm just and idiot who mainly likes bourbon.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm just joking. I haven't messed around with gin types enough to have a preference.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Speaking of gin, I'm really enjoying the Lavender gin by Amethyst distilling, Wilder by Ventura spirits and the Celery by Rutte this week. Highly recommend. All were pretty drat cheap, as well.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

actually good gins:

monkey 47
ransom old tom
bluecoat barrel aged
sipsmith
fords
plymoth sloe gin (if you must)

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Noilly Prat's an OK dry vermouth, right? It occurred to me that I've been making drinks for years and never once made anything with dry vermouth.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012
Australia Day tomorrow, so I've made a Limmer's Club Punch using Kenning's recipe (multiplied by 2.5 to use one bottle of Beefeater) to take to a barbie tomorrow - Thanks Kenning!

The only thing I have not yet added is the ice or the soda water, which I will do tomorrow. I did take a small amount of the booze and added about 2.5x volume of soda water (I figured I had about a litre of booze at this stage). It was nice, but seemed a little watered down. My concern is when I add the 2.5 L of soda water tomorrow, plus the ice, will it be even more watered down when the ice begins to melt? Should I add less soda water to begin with? Or should it be a fairly mildly flavoured drink? It did make for a drink that went down VERY easily!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wachepti posted:

actually good gins:

monkey 47
ransom old tom
bluecoat barrel aged
sipsmith
fords

Monkey 47 is some unreal poo poo but also something you should only ever buy once because the price is really dumb

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Wachter posted:

Noilly Prat's an OK dry vermouth, right? It occurred to me that I've been making drinks for years and never once made anything with dry vermouth.

Noillys fine but I see Dolin dry recommended here quite often and for very good reason.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Wachepti posted:

actually good gins:

monkey 47
ransom old tom
bluecoat barrel aged
sipsmith
fords

Snore....

Monkey 47 is a dumb gimmick that refuse to carry in any of my bars. Bluecoat and Sipsmith are okay but nothing to write home on. Fords is so blown out of proportion because of the marketing and bar managers like to support their friends. Each bottle at well pricing is $4? $5? More than my current well gins, both of which are legit handmade on small distilleries. One is even still a gypsy distiller, I'm hoping the volume I buy from them will literally help them build their own facility in the next few years.

I do dig Ransom though, I just finished featuring their Dry Gin for a week and it flew off the shelf, very delicate and tasty.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Has anyone used those cocktail wood age things? I've picked up two throughout the years and want to do something a little more exciting than an aged martini.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

...More than my current well gins, both of which are legit handmade on small distilleries.

Don't leave me hanging

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The Maestro posted:

Noillys fine but I see Dolin dry recommended here quite often and for very good reason.

The takeback I got from this thread was Dolin Rouge for sweet vermouth (or Caparo) and Vya Dry for dry vermouth.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

Bubz posted:

Australia Day tomorrow, so I've made a Limmer's Club Punch using Kenning's recipe (multiplied by 2.5 to use one bottle of Beefeater) to take to a barbie tomorrow - Thanks Kenning!

The only thing I have not yet added is the ice or the soda water, which I will do tomorrow. I did take a small amount of the booze and added about 2.5x volume of soda water (I figured I had about a litre of booze at this stage). It was nice, but seemed a little watered down. My concern is when I add the 2.5 L of soda water tomorrow, plus the ice, will it be even more watered down when the ice begins to melt? Should I add less soda water to begin with? Or should it be a fairly mildly flavoured drink? It did make for a drink that went down VERY easily!

So I ended up adding about 1.5L of soda water instead of 2.5L and it turned out great :) A few people commented that they don't like gin but that this was really good - Victory!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

angor posted:

The takeback I got from this thread was Dolin Rouge for sweet vermouth (or Caparo) and Vya Dry for dry vermouth.

That is true and good and right.

Bubz posted:

Limmer's is an exceedingly quaffable punch. Made properly it should come out to around 8% ABV, which is indeed pretty "watered down" compared to other spirits-powered beverages. However, if you use a good amount of orange blossom and you get lots of oil out of the peels, something really lovely can happen around the 3rd cup of Limmer's. Everyone loses track of what they've had, and there is a constant stream of folks returning to re-up from the bowl. The laughter is easier and more knowing, and the party drifts towards something that very roughly approximates perfect ease. For a summer party when the night starts late and stays warm I can't imagine a more exquisite drink.

Edit: Hahahah good timing. I've gotta say, adjusting your punch to your tastes and the taste of your guests is the True Path. Congratulations on your punch success!

Kenning fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 26, 2016

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dolin is great for the money but antica formula is better. If you want to spend a little more.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Fart Car '97 posted:

Dolin is great for the money but antica formula is better. If you want to spend a little more.

It's also completely different.

I actually prefer Dolin Dry to Vya, but I think that's just due to Dolin being the first good dry vermouth I ever had so I acquired a preference for it. Both are great products regardless.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Hebug posted:

It's also completely different.

I actually prefer Dolin Dry to Vya, but I think that's just due to Dolin being the first good dry vermouth I ever had so I acquired a preference for it. Both are great products regardless.

I don't think they're 'completely different' at all, and I drink them both regularly. Different, yes, but extremely interchangeable and they have a lot more in common than they don't. I stand by the opinion that while Dolin is good, Antica is flat out the better of two relatively similar products :shrug:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 26, 2016

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't think they're 'completely different' at all, and I drink them both regularly. Different, yes, but extremely interchangeable and they have a lot more in common than they don't. I stand by the opinion that while Dolin is good, Antica is flat out the better of two relatively similar products :shrug:

I think they're very different. To me, Dolin is mostly fruity and herbal, while Carpano is mostly vanilla and bitter. Taste is subjective, go figure. :shrug:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The Hebug posted:

I think they're very different. To me, Dolin is mostly fruity and herbal, while Carpano is mostly vanilla and bitter. Taste is subjective, go figure. :shrug:

I think we can both agree they are better than martini rosso and leave it at that then

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Super-pro tip: Anitca comes in half bottles. You're welcome.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

angor posted:

Super-pro tip: Anitca comes in half bottles. You're welcome.

I'm gonna drink a Antica on the rocks when I get home just to spite this comment. Why would you ever want a half bottle? ? Dolin comes in half bottles too

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm gonna drink a Antica on the rocks when I get home just to spite this comment. Why would you ever want a half bottle? ? Dolin comes in half bottles too

Vermouth goes bad fairly quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

royalejest posted:

Vermouth goes bad fairly quickly.

Smh if you can't drink up bottle of vermouth in 2-3 months