Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Burns posted:

I know HW2's story wasnt as interesting as HW1, but it is still very enjoyable and the game itself is solid, even better in Remastered imo. I have read the Dust Wars material that was posted and it seemed to be useful for a good backstory, but that stuff should be left in the manual. I can't really imagine what they would do in a HW3 but I am sure that BBI is thinking hard on it. There is a big galaxy left to explore.

Back to DoK: Oh boy that was an interesting ambush with the Galseen carrier in mission 5. I lost a good chunk of my force thanks to that.

Interestingly, the Dust Wars stuff could easily follow on from HW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dukka posted:

I won CoH matches for years solely on the back of Pioneers. An initial unit being almost unfathomably is hardly something new in the world of Relic-like games.

The difference is that in CoH you can't deny your enemy resources on the back of your starting unit, because you can't deny your enemy the basic "make units" resource period in that game. In CoH's case it comes down entirely to micro, both in actual fighting, positioning and when to retreat - but you can never stop your enemy being able to build the counter to your starting unit with your starting unit by killing harvesters because there are no harvesters to kill. In all their games that do have harvesters the unit that counters harvester killing units is always cheaper and several tech rungs lower than the harvester-killing units themselves.

Pioneers are a really good example of a well designed early unit really - they start off extremely narrow (close range anti-infantry) but they stay relevant into the late game thanks to upgrades that let them to niche stuff (flamethrowers, mines) and even the basic ones are always useful thanks to being a cheap capping unit. But they are utterly useless against the enemy base. And that's what DoK is missing - proper teeth for your carrier from the very start until some heavy hitters get on the field. If you could basically protect 1 resource field against early game units for free, by parking your carrier there DoK would probably have a much better game pace. It'd be fighting over expansions and jockeying for positions that let you effectively control them.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 26, 2016

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Bring on Cataclysm remastered I say

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

General Battuta posted:

This is my feeling too. I think the best fix right now is to amp up carrier damage against skimmers. That way skimmers remain useful for map control and containment, but they can't win a game in five minutes or less.

I really hope this is the change they go with. Skimmers are cool units outside of the current rush strat broken-ness.

MagnumOpus posted:

This seems to be a problem any time an early-game unit is balanced around performing well if micro'd correctly.

I could also see them reducing the HP regen which imo would be a huge hit to the micro-ability of the unit and would make me a sad panda.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Outside of the rush environment I really enjoy the positioning game. It's fun and effective to split your forces, to feint and withdraw, to do all that cool rapid maneuvering poo poo that most RTS pass up in favor of 'make a blob'.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Outside of the rush environment I really enjoy the positioning game. It's fun and effective to split your forces, to feint and withdraw, to do all that cool rapid maneuvering poo poo that most RTS pass up in favor of 'make a blob'.

Yeah many of my games have pivoted on successfully leading the enemy into a railgun ambush. I absolutely adore that 2v2 dune sea level for this, where you can hide your battery on the other side of a dune crest until you're ready to spring the trap.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

DatonKallandor posted:

It's just weird as hell for someone who worked at Relic making an RTS to make the first unit anyone can build good against workers. HW1? Workers are tough as poo poo and you need to tech several times to get bombers. HW2? Interceptors are bad against workers and bombers are countered by the thing you don't need to tech to get. DoW and CoH don't even have workers in that sense - your combat units are what get you resources.
Remember that with HW1 for the longest time rushing scouts was the most viable strategy, and you didn't even need to kill resourcers.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

The guys at BBI just started an AMA. Probably gonna gab a bit about DoK.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
You mean the kamikaze stuff? That was clearly a bug/exploit, not a designed part of the game. Not that HW1 was perfect in terms of mechanics or balance, but for a first attempt at an RTS it was pretty solid, ignoring sphere formation, assault frigates and near-clone factions.
But seriously, let's appreciate again how loving incredible it is that a dev team made Homeworld as their first RTS. They didn't start with Impossible Creatures and work their way up to 3D space.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 26, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just did a fun 6 man ffa! Took a guy out with my carrier and assault cruisers, then died to another's group of ACs while recovering. ACs are cool and good. I have no idea how I actually did though because you can't spectate, which sucks hard, since I'd love to stay and chat but you just see an empty map.

Also, it is loving impossible to get your carrier to attack another carrier if there is any other target available.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 26, 2016

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Man, I'm regretting this purchase now. I tried replaying the campaign on hard but it gets sorta boring around midgame when offensive cruisers become available. Two or three blobs of them can decimate anything tossed my way so there isn't really any point to making smaller units or using any strategy more complex than "attack move". For kicks I tried playing with only railguns, AAVs, supports, and LAVs but that just got annoying since the AI seems to have infinite resources. The skirmish AI is so dippy that it can barely harvest resources and its not easy to find a MP match online. Having to pay extra to get all the story material just makes me more annoyed.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
So I'm replaying on Classic difficulty, and on mission 6 I wondered "hey, what happens if you put mines and turrets all over the location where the Ashoka and her death fleet spawns?"

:perfect:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RubricMarine posted:

The guys at BBI just started an AMA. Probably gonna gab a bit about DoK.

Cool, quick stuff from that, GBX views DoK's launch as a success, and views Homeworld as a core franchise moving forward. Sounds like discussions are already underway for more Homeworld.

Fan demand for Cataclysm has been heard, and both the dev team at GBX and BBI are at least interested in just remaking Cataclysm, source code be damned. Obviously this would take a lot of work/money for potentially little return though, which is the issue. Demand is there though, even within the companies. If you want Cataclysm, make your voice heard, maybe GBX corporate will give them the money they need.

They view HW2 as "from the PoV of the player, as if they were telling the story to others.". From the way it's phrased across a couple of responses, if they make after HW2 content, they might retcon HW2 quite considerably to be something of a tall tale told by a super proud Hiigaran Commander ( that might have been upselling it a bit. ).

Expedition Guide will be getting constant content updates.

BBI isn't a part of GBX, they'll be at GDC to meet with a few potential business partners after the success of DoK? More RTS games on the horizon?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Rookersh posted:

They view HW2 as "from the PoV of the player, as if they were telling the story to others.". From the way it's phrased across a couple of responses, if they make after HW2 content, they might retcon HW2 quite considerably to be something of a tall tale told by a super proud Hiigaran Commander ( that might have been upselling it a bit. ).

Not gonna lie, that would be pretty hilarious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have two Officer Lance Sobans. They're both in Support Cruisers. :haw:

Mordja posted:

Not gonna lie, that would be pretty hilarious.

"And then we killed TWELVE battlecruisers!"

"gently caress you you did Paaktu"

e: It is very annoying keeping bombers alive in the turret hunt mission, when the turrets are emp'd for seemingly random amounts of time. The last group was only five seconds!

e: The support cruiser heal routine of being "heal until shot once, abandon entire fleet" is garbage too

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 27, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If only "just remaking" Cataclysm, assuming money was no problem, was that simple. If formations caused this much headache for HW1's re-release, I can't imagine what problems things like Sentinels and their shields, the siege cannon, or the repulsor field would cause.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
New trailer for the Audio chatter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpZtN1ySs0

Rookersh posted:

Another interpretation could be that Karan S'Jet, suffered a psychotic break after being removed from the original mothership - there was considerable risk to becoming Fleet Command, Karan knew it, and knew eventually she'd pay the price. She is about 150 by the time Homeworld 2 takes place, likely suffering from advanced dementia caused by the neural implants due to the Kushans relatively primitive understanding of neuroscience at the time of the Mothership launch.

Homeworld 2 is a schizophrenia delusion that takes place in Karans mind, the entire time she's sitting in an advanced mental institution on Hiigara. :smith:

EDIT:

There was no Vaygr War.

Makaan was the head nurse.

The Pride of Hiigara was her wheelchair.

The Hyperspace cores represent her Id, ego, and super-ego.

The Keeper is her primary carer.

The Progenitor Dreadnought was the key to her ward.

Sajuuk was they key to the facility.

The Eye of Aarran is the front Gate.

:smithicide:

Rougey fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 27, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rougey posted:

Homeworld 2 is a schizophrenia delusion that takes place in Karans mind, the entire time she's sitting in an advanced mental insitution on Hiigara. :smith:

That's a lot shittier and meaner than Drunk Ol' Captain Paaktu bullshitting about the good ol' days.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm still in the camp that thinks Homeworld 2 was a good game, it just wasn't a great game like Homeworld was. I'll never budge.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

That's a lot shittier and meaner than Drunk Ol' Captain Paaktu bullshitting about the good ol' days.

"AND THAT'S WHEN THE ANCIENT ALIENS TOLD US WE HAD ONE OF THE THREE KEYS TO THE GALAXY!"

"Grandpa! Every ship has a hyperdrive!"

"Yeah! But this one was special, it came with us from Kharak!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rookersh posted:

"AND THAT'S WHEN THE ANCIENT ALIENS TOLD US WE HAD ONE OF THE THREE KEYS TO THE GALAXY!"

"That's not what my history teacher said!"
"Your history teacher's a-"
"DAD"

quote:

I'm still in the camp that thinks Homeworld 2 was a good game, it just wasn't a great game like Homeworld was. I'll never budge.

I gave up on the original HW2's campaign at the endless radiation-immune battlecruisers in the Bentus wreckage but Remastered fixed all my problems with it.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The whole shift to mythical hyperspace cores in Homeworld 2 was not a good thing story-wise.

Also, with regards to powerful first tier units, look no further than acolyte blobs in Cataclysm. By the time you ran into a thing they had trouble with you could research missiles and either go wipe the floor with said things or just go KO some poor bastard's mothership.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's the most mean-spirited Nerd Fan thing ever but I'd be secretly pleased if they wrote off HW2's mysticism as Gaalsien-style religious fervor over what was, really, just a secular conflict for control of the hyperspace network. e: especially because HW2's cutscenes are gorgeous and really do evoke a sense of religious awe

God, it's so frustrating how much better HW2's story is if you know from the start that Sajuuk is an alien mothership that's important for a galaxy-spanning strategic reason, and not just because 'he's god'. It gives the Vaygr a fitting motivation (since they've always been a fringe group who range around disjointedly, they already use a network of standing hyperspace gates, and it makes sense that their messianic leader would want to consolidate power by gaining a monopoly over galactic trade/the ability to drop Vaygr ships anywhere).

And it would've been real cool if the Vaygr were more explicitly linked to our favorite HW1 fringe friends, the Turanic Raiders. The idea of the imperial mercenaries turning into a threat of their own echoes a lot of the tribal history that Homeworld draws on.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 27, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

BBI hire me, I wrote a bunch of the Grimoire poo poo that people love in Destiny and I love Homeworld even more than I loved Marathon. I know you're reading this!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So that Reddit AMA suggests that new teams will be coming as paid DLC. Maybe you'll get your Somtaaw after all.

General Battuta posted:

BBI hire me, I wrote a bunch of the Grimoire poo poo that people love in Destiny and I love Homeworld even more than I loved Marathon. I know you're reading this!

Imo Blue Planet is a better qualification than Destiny. :colbert:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I love that the carrier is moving, with my extremely back of the envelope calculations based on it's length and timing a roughly measured sprint, at about 120mph. It looks slower because it's so huge.

This kind of explains how those LAVs get so much air, I think.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I like your version better.

But I also like the idea that it's a story told by a bunch of religious fanatics worshiping Karan

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

General Battuta posted:

In the time between that post and this one I reached out and was very politely turned down, because they already have an excellent team in house (which is true). Well played, Blackbird, I hope your patches come just as swiftly :golfclap:

Signs of them wanting to do Homeworld 3 are pretty strong, let us all praise Sajuuk.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

General Battuta posted:

Signs of them wanting to do Homeworld 3 are pretty strong, let us all praise bring Sajuuk to bear.

I think you mean.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It looks like the two options they're dreaming of (okay, Cunningham is dreaming of?) are an Age of S'jet story and and a pre-Scaffold Deserts of Kharak 2. I really want the Homeworld 3 option but I am a bit afraid that the engine tech they've developed for Deserts of Kharak will push them towards DoK2 for budget reasons.

Though I suppose they do have the Homeworld Remastered engine right there...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Superstring posted:

I think you mean.

There's a mod for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GLmboCnLQY

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Rougey posted:

Another interpretation could be that Karan S'Jet, suffered a psychotic break after being removed from the original mothership - there was considerable risk to becoming Fleet Command, Karan knew it, and knew eventually she'd pay the price. She is about 150 by the time Homeworld 2 takes place, likely suffering from advanced dementia caused by the neural implants due to the Kushans relatively primitive understanding of neuroscience at the time of the Mothership launch.

Homeworld 2 is a schizophrenia delusion that takes place in Karans mind, the entire time she's sitting in an advanced mental institution on Hiigara. :smith:

EDIT:

There was no Vaygr War.

Or, it might just be her in a sleep mode. After all, she's basically plugged into a computer anymore, so it could just be her trying to rest after the journey to Hiigara, but she still gets info shoved into her brain that her mind interprets and expands upon.

The Vaygr are just a small troop of pirates with one carrier.
Makaan is a crazy coot who made the news.
The harborship of Bentus made it's first public appearance!
and there's discussions tabled to turn the Mothership into a museum.

And all of this is getting forced into her dreamscape which leads to the growing patchwork story that's shaped by her personal beliefs and religious convictions.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I haven't lost a ranked game since I started skimmer rushing, I feel like a cancer :(

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Rookersh posted:

I would be fine with a rolling, unreliable narration like in Call of Juarez Gunslinger for a spinoff or in-between game. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rougey posted:

EDIT:

There was no Vaygr War.

Ah, I understand, so Homeworld 2 is basically American McGee's Alice: In Space.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So question. Is there a place where I can get the quick and dirty on the Homeworld backstory? Was the information from the old user manuals ever reproduced?

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Arcsquad12 posted:

So question. Is there a place where I can get the quick and dirty on the Homeworld backstory? Was the information from the old user manuals ever reproduced?

You can download it from here: http://www.moddb.com/games/homeworld/downloads/homeworld-manual

I'm pretty sure it isn't :filez: so knock yourself out.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Aight, so if you're Coalition, you can hold the initial skimmer rush by hold-positioning your LAVs inside range of repair beams (make sure you have your 1 pt power in repair). I don't know what you transition into to win after that, since you've got to beat his railgun transition while he's got you contained on one resource patch, but it's a step...

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Anyone else have trouble keeping their LAVs alive?

I can usually manage to have very few losses with my armor or railguns, but I bleed LAVs in every fight.

Or just retcon it out of existence with no explanation.

Or say that DoK is starting a new continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can do it by memory mostly,

There is some stuff before this, but it's the basics for Homeworld (and I may as well spoiler it all - just in case)

There were a once a bunch of great empires in the galaxy, spawned by some mysterious progenitor race, but the ones that we care about are the Hiigarans, the Taiidan and the Bentusi.

The Hiigarans and the Taiidan shared a border and didn't like each other very much. One day the Hiigarans got their hands on a powerful artifact that allowed them to dick all over the Taiidans with impunity, culminating with the bombardment of the Taiidan home world.

All the other Empires stepped in and demanded the Hiigarans disarm and give up the artifact and had it over to the Bentusi. The Bentusi are basically space peacekeepers that claimed no planet and live aboard their great starships. They had a sister artifact to the ones the Hiigarans had, but unlike the Hiigarans who used their for war, the Bentusi used theirs for trade and were pretty cool guys.

The Hiigarans attempted to reneged on the deal and got into a fight with the Bentusi, but had nearly their entire fleet destroyed because you do not gently caress with the Bentusi.

The Tiidan, seeing that the Hiigarans now lacked a navy, launched a revenge campaign of genocide against the Hiigarans, wiping out world after world after world.

Eventually, they took over the Hiigarans home world, and started warming up the ovens when the Galactic Council finally stepped in and put a stop to it.

Hiigarans were forced to sign a treaty giving up their home world, exiling them to a lovely desert world called Kharak and prohibiting them from developing hyperspace technology.

Thousands of years pass, in which time the people of Kharak have largely forgotten their history, though aspects of it exist in the religion. They've also reverted technologically somewhere around the iron age, having abandoned the sites of their first landings as they got swallowed by the desert, moving to the more habitable poles.

On Kharak, there is a period of time lasting a few hundred years of religious wars over why the gods cast them out of the heavens to such a lovely planet, until an industrial revolution/Renascence/reformation rolled into one occurs, and then they begin a steady march of progress - except for one Kiith(tribe) who spits the dummy saying that the gods will destroy them for their decadence, destroys a great city, then retreats into the desert.

Deserts of Kharak occurs when an anomaly is found in the desert, after a lucky accident where a satellite meant to search for things in their solar system is pointed towards the planet and detects a massive power signature. The tribes of the north launch an expedition to claim the artifact, the desert tribe attempts to stop them - the Campaign is that story.

After that, Homeworld.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 27, 2016

• Locked thread