Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And unfortunately, as far as I can tell, eshop promos don't carry over to amazon digital codes so when nintendo puts a game on sale in the eshop, it isn't necessarily gonna be the same price from nintendo's amazon page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Anyone know if that FF Explorers game is going to be one of those "Up at Midnight" Eshop games?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

Wasn't Super Mario RPG a Square-Enix game?

S-E made the game and owns the rights to all the non-Mario characters but Nintendo owns the game and the publishing rights so it's not a S-E game proper. It's the same deal with the Lufia GBC game: S-E owns the IP but the game was made and published by Natsume, so the VC release was their initiative and S-E just collects a royalty.

Fancy Hat! posted:

Anyone know if that FF Explorers game is going to be one of those "Up at Midnight" Eshop games?

I don't think so.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

In Training posted:

I hope they put all of the GBA FF ports on the shop eventually since they're largely still the best way to play those games.

No argument, but my personal favourite port is the PSP "complete" version of FFIV with the SNES-style graphics. I also like the PSP port of Final Fantasy 1; it looks wonderful and has tons of content, but it's 85% piss-easy and the loot in the bonus dungeons is too loving random. Terrible design decision.

MinibarMatchman posted:

this gives me a tiny pathetic shred of hope that FFTA not only comes to NA but also predicates the release of the final and best GBA tactics game, Ogre Battle: Knight of Lodis.

Also no argument, but I just found out last week (so sue me) that Person of Lordly Calibre and March of the Black Queen were on the Wii-shop. I was gobsmacked. I'm fortunate enough to have a Game Boy Player and a GBA cart of Knight of Lodis, but I hope that they port it to Wii U nonetheless.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I haven't played any of the FFT games, but they seem well-regarded enough that I'll probably check it out if it hits NA. Really hope this is a sign we'll finally get Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger at some point, though.

If you have a PS3/Via/PSP, Chrono Chross and Trigger are both available via the Playstation Store for pretty reasonable rates.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

JustJeff88 posted:

If you have a PS3/Via/PSP, Chrono Chross and Trigger are both available via the Playstation Store for pretty reasonable rates.

Don't buy the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger. It's terrible. Get the original, the DS remake or buy it on the Wii Virtual Console.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the PSX versions of those Square games they have on the PSN Store have 3 or 4 second loading times every time you open a menu or get in a random battle. It's unbearable

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's because the PSX versions are IPS patching those games on-the-fly in lieu of having the games properly in English. Those load times are the game pausing to patch whatever's necessary.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ChaosArgate posted:

It's because the PSX versions are IPS patching those games on-the-fly in lieu of having the games properly in English. Those load times are the game pausing to patch whatever's necessary.

Final Fantasy VI is 3 MByte and Chrono Trigger 4 MByte. The PS1's RAM is 2 MByte, and the Super Nintendo expected to be able to access data on the game pak randomly rather than sequentially.

AND they're being patched on the fly.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Remember that weird Pikachu 3DS game Nintendo announced years ago with a few seconds of footage of a grotesque mocapped Pikachu? Well, it wasn't cancelled! It's done, it's an eShop game and it'll be out in Japan, like, really soon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9j9RWkPstc

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

wtf is that

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's called "Detective Pikachu - Birth of a New Duo", it's by Creatures Inc. and it comes out in Japan on February 3 for 1500yen (or 1200yen if you buy before February 27).

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Speaking of
Psst :ninja: Russian/CIS users might remember the big sale the local eshop key seller YM had in December.
As it turns out, even though they returned the prices to normal on the store pages a number of items (a loving large number) still have their sale prices on when you get to the checkout.
If that's not some kind of secret deliberate thing, they have been selling Pokemon X/Y at a 40% discount for nearly two months due to someone's gently caress-up.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Jesus it was mocapped? No wonder it looks so hideous even when compared to the NPC pikachu it's talking to near the end of the trailer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Detective Pikachu has weird buff arms

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Remember that weird Pikachu 3DS game Nintendo announced years ago with a few seconds of footage of a grotesque mocapped Pikachu? Well, it wasn't cancelled! It's done, it's an eShop game and it'll be out in Japan, like, really soon:

Ive been waiting so long and had given up hope and its here as weird as i hoped :unsmith:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please don't mocap non humans, or even regular humans

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Looper posted:

please don't mocap non humans, or even regular humans

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd6dR7bNn3I

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

try watching it muted

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It's like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago, but Pokemon.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

creatures inc. is that the company that did the creatures games like 100 years ago

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

creatures inc. is that the company that did the creatures games like 100 years ago
no

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Creatures Inc. was formed from the remnants of Shigesato Itoi's old company APE and the people there worked on the early Mother and Pokemon games. They mostly help out on Pokemon and do other Pokemon-affiliated stuff (including the TCG, I think) but they also made Game Boy Camera back in the day.

Their president is Hip Tanaka, the dude who wrote the music for a lot of Nintendo's early console games (Metroid, Kid Icarus, Dr. Mario, Super Mario Land, Balloon Fight, Mother 1/2, etc).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok thx

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Creatures Inc. was formed from the remnants of Shigesato Itoi's old company APE and the people there worked on the early Mother and Pokemon games. They mostly help out on Pokemon and do other Pokemon-affiliated stuff (including the TCG, I think) but they also made Game Boy Camera back in the day.

Their president is Hip Tanaka, the dude who wrote the music for a lot of Nintendo's early console games (Metroid, Kid Icarus, Dr. Mario, Super Mario Land, Balloon Fight, Mother 1/2, etc).

Every time my 8 year old self beat Metroid and saw Hip Tanaka's name scroll by, I'd laugh because his name sounds funny.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oh God I remember you posting about that ages ago and everyone wondering if they just experienced a collective fever dream.

I wonder if it's still going to have Evil Pikablu in it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Moriarty is a Metapod and turns into a Butterfree to escape.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So I want to buy the picrite pack in Pokemon Picross, which is 25 and change after taxes, and I have $4.68 in my wallet

But there's no "needed funds" button when I want to purchase it. I can only add $10 or $20.

So I'm wondering: If I go to buy something that's $24.99 in the nintendo eshop, just to add funds, is there a step for me to back out of actually purchasing the software? As in

*Try to buy $24.99 thing* -> "You don't have enough money. Add funds?" -> *Add needed funds* -> *Purchase/download product*

Between the last two steps, I'm thinking there might be a way to do that? But I don't want to risk it and buy something I don't want at all (I checked: all items for $25 are weird rear end baby/pet games).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Morter posted:

So I want to buy the picrite pack in Pokemon Picross, which is 25 and change after taxes, and I have $4.68 in my wallet

But there's no "needed funds" button when I want to purchase it. I can only add $10 or $20.

So I'm wondering: If I go to buy something that's $24.99 in the nintendo eshop, just to add funds, is there a step for me to back out of actually purchasing the software? As in

*Try to buy $24.99 thing* -> "You don't have enough money. Add funds?" -> *Add needed funds* -> *Purchase/download product*

Between the last two steps, I'm thinking there might be a way to do that? But I don't want to risk it and buy something I don't want at all (I checked: all items for $25 are weird rear end baby/pet games).

Yes, just go "buy" something that costs as close to however much money you need in your eShop balance, but then back out of the actual purchase after funds are added. It's a two step process where the funds are first added to your balance, and then you click "purchase game" or whatever.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cartoon Man posted:

Every time my 8 year old self beat Metroid and saw Hip Tanaka's name scroll by, I'd laugh because his name sounds funny.

Well, he's clearly a much cooler cat than this square brother, Clyde Tanaka.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The sad thing is me and my brother would make fun of all the Japanese names and try to sound them out in a jokey way. I was a racist little poo poo back in the 80's. :smith:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, I probably need to send an apology letter to Mr. Fukunaga

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
That's not so much racism as it is disrespect. :v:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

greatn posted:

Yeah, I probably need to send an apology letter to Mr. Fukunaga

Lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Even when I would do the thing where you use your fingers to try and slant your eyes?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Cartoon Man posted:

Even when I would do the thing where you use your fingers to try and slant your eyes?

That's just commitment to the bit. Good for sticking to your guns.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what is the definition of racism, nintendo eshop thread

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

The pokemon Jinx

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Wham Bam Rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Looper posted:

Not buying enough amiibos