Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

My Lovely Horse posted:

- William Burroughs, stickup artist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Technically, shooting a woman would make her fall over for you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

for fucks sake dan posted:

Nothing makes a woman fall for you more than nearly shooting her. Also props to the woman smashing the patio door because she forgot her keys and then hiding in the pantry for funsies

Reminds me of these things:

Except this poo poo did happen.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Some religious STDH courtesy of a the book jacket on a reprint of Left Behind:

Tim LaHaye posted:

One woman asked me to sign her dilapidated paperback of Left Behind. Turning it over, I said, “This book looks like it has a story behind it.” Through her tears she told how her atheist father, who loved reading fiction, bought it for just 25 cents at a garage sale. When he found out it was a Christian book he wanted to get rid of it and gave it to her. She read it and accepted Christ. Then she gave it to her brother and he did the same. He passed it on to their four siblings and all of them accepted Christ. Their lives were so changed over the ensuing nine months that the woman’s father said, “Do you still have that book I gave you? I’d like to read it.” He did and he too became a believer! Think of it — seven atheists won to Christ for 25 cents! Now that is what I call a bargain — and that’s the real reason we write these books. For writers it doesn’t get any better than that.

Born-again Christians are great sources of STDH.
"An entire family of atheists converted to Christianity after reading a lovely paperback!"
"Jesus personally appeared to a little girl and protected her from being shot by her dad (but still let him shoot her mom and then himself)!"
"I was Literally Hitler before I found the Lord!"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Fred Clark's analysis of the Left Behind series are one of the best things to come out of those books.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Pththya-lyi posted:

"An entire family of atheists converted to Christianity after reading a lovely paperback!"
"Jesus personally appeared to a little girl and protected her from being shot by her dad (but still let him shoot her mom and then himself)!"

Jesus: the ultimate STDH?

nerox
May 20, 2001

Pththya-lyi posted:

I was on the computer one night and my wife fell asleep on the couch watching something on the DVR. The program finished and somehow the channel it flipped back to was playing The 700 Club and you would think from the stories they are selling, you could donate $20 to them and become a millionaire overnight.

edit: Read this about the 700 club trying to figure out how exactly it was on my TV. http://www.vulture.com/2016/01/pat-robertsons-700-club-will-be-on-forever.html. So you can watch a christian talk show and The Fosters, about an interracial lesbian couple that adopts at-risk youths, on the same channel. :bravo:

nerox has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Jan 26, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pththya-lyi posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but I remember a long while back we were talking about historical STDH, like roman stories and stuff.

Something about the phrasing there of "...and they all converted!" reminded me of the story of Saint George and the Dragon. Now, obviously with a tale about a knight and a dragon, that's STDH. But I love that it literally ends with "...and the entire village, 15 thousand people, and the king converted to Christianity on the spot!"

STDH writing style has been popular since time immemorial.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Zelder posted:

Technically, shooting a woman would make her fall over for you

might make her heart skip a beat, and then all the rest

Verisimilidude posted:

Jesus: the ultimate STDH?

saviors that didn't happen?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but I remember a long while back we were talking about historical STDH, like roman stories and stuff.

Something about the phrasing there of "...and they all converted!" reminded me of the story of Saint George and the Dragon. Now, obviously with a tale about a knight and a dragon, that's STDH. But I love that it literally ends with "...and the entire village, 15 thousand people, and the king converted to Christianity on the spot!"

TBF, back in the late Roman Empire/early Middle Ages, conversion was more of a political statement and didn't require the kind of personal, spiritual commitment we expect from "real" Christians today. When you read that the people in the story "converted," think "got baptized and pretty much went on with their previous lives for the most part."

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Postal Parcel posted:

I am still in love with that handwriting

Bonster posted:

Horrible fakery, nice handwriting.
The mind boggles.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Zaphod42 posted:

Tbh if I saw a Saint slew a dragon, you're drat right I'd convert.

Also "I don't even own a television" is a fun podcast about really bad books and they did a left behind episode iirc. What a terrible book.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
CMOA--the Punisher.

quote:

Pyro Skittle had her crowning moment recently. There be a racist black jerkass at her school. She be one of the few who dealt with him in a forced manner because she is good friends with his girlfriend. How he even has a girlfriend Pyro(S) will never know. At this time it must be mentioned that Pyro(S) is the girl that makes friends with everyone, including ladybugs, (No really- they've assaulted me with their red-and-black lovin' almost monthly since last June,) can make friends with the most conservative Muslim girls that actually wear the veil and refuse to talk to non-Muslims, and has an ability to diffuse serious situations within two sentences and a tip of her hat. He said a comment that broke the straw that broke the camel's back after she warned him about her lack of patience when dealing with him for FOUR YEARS with continuous racist, hypocritical, and sexist comments virtually every time she dealt with him. He then called her fat. She got very quiet for a moment before shouting out loud, "Get Dangerous, Bitch!" kicking him in the balls- with skateboarding shoes that feel like iron boxes filled with cotton, no less, grabbing his fro and shoving his nose into her knee, waiting for him to try and stand up, and punching him hard enough in the kidney for him to shriek when he fell again. He couldn't get up. He now has a broken nose and *apparently* a very large and dark bruise on his groin, since he still talks in soprano after four days. Her English teacher told her that it was the most epic thing she had ever seen, and she used to teach in the low-income public school area. She wrote me up anyway, but only put in the cockkick because she'd gotten fed up with the jerkass, too. She now has no cell phone or TV until summer, and no regrets whatsoever.
Pyro Skittle would also like to mention that she started yelling at said racist black guy at school for ditching her in English when she needed his help with a project, (my English teacher felt that I'd be abl eto terrify him into coming into class and actually staying the entire period,) and he ran behind one of my friends, stole her phone out of her hand, and dialed 9-1-1. My friend, not having yet heard the story, grabbed the phone back and started screaming at him for being a jackass. She then looked at what he had dialed, since I was approaching and he had run off because I was still shouting at him, and she now refers to me as ThePunisher.

Let's hurt girls

quote:

This troper had a small one during a physical dispute in 8th grade. The class was going to receive their report cards, but the teacher refused to hand them out until the class settled down (they were always rowdy). This troper got annoyed by the delay and attempted to hush some people. One of the girls got in this troper's face and before you know it, she scratches at this troper locks her arm around this troper's neck and arms, trying to choke me. Without even thinking, this troper sunk his (that's right, Samus Is A boy) teeth into girl's arm. Some of the kids the day after praised me and others teased me asking how the girl tasted. To this day, all the people he told this story to have never put him down for physically defending himself against a girl.

GIGA

quote:

This troper (henceforth referred to in first person) had a rather amazing one. On his way home from school, walking through a forest, I was beset by a schoolmate who had voiced his dislike of me on several occasions. He was also entertaining thoughts of putting the hurt on me and had no intention of letting me get away. So down to a brawl it was. Now, I'm 5'9", skinny and with all the muscle of a 12-year old girl. He's over 6' and has a good 30lbs of muscle on me. I could already see my buttocks on a silver platter. Surely enough, things went pretty bad for me. While he took every chance to taunt me, I was quickly running out of breath, energy, will and strength. And then he threatened my friends. This followed:
Him: Why do you keep getting up? You know I'm just gonna hit you again.
Me: Because... A great man once told me "Believe in yourself. Not in you who believes in me. Not in me who believes in you. Believe in you who believes in himself!" That man is gone now, he's no longer with us. But in my heart he lives on. And I will fulfill his dream! My fist is that man's, the Gurren Brigade's and my soul! It is the fist that will one day break through the heavens! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?
I managed to bring him down with a knee to the gut and two quick punches. Alas, he wasn't out and I couldn't afford to have a chance like this slip through my fingers. Pulling back my fist, I bellowed
Me: GIGA! FIST! BREAKER!
... and punched him with everything I had left. That did the job. As we were both shambling off in separate directions, I couldn't help but be amazed that calling my attack had actually worked. Henceforth, if I ever find myself in a fight again, the Giga Fist Breaker will be my finishing move.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Troper tales have got to be some of the most cringingly embarrassing things I've ever read.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Coworker: “[My Name]...”

A similar thing actually happened to me not that long ago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ban creative writing classes

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I just finished the first season of The United States of Tara and now have multiple personalities and poo poo ama.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Somebody's been watching too much Naruto. I had a roommate who would always have that on and that seems to be exactly how every single episode goes.

Most of the troper tales are just kind of pathetic. Sorry, you aren't animes people.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Wanamingo posted:

Troper tales have got to be some of the most cringingly embarrassing things I've ever read.

Uh I think you meant to say amazing.

I am so sad they axed troper tales long ago because it's that perfect storm of wish fulfilment, naivety of youth and an overdose of internet/nerd culture.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I guess it would be easier to knock someone down when they're unable to breathe from laughing.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It's amazing that so many Troper Tales can be boiled down to "I kicked a black guy in the dick" or the like

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

quote:

This troper (henceforth referred to in first person) had a rather amazing one. On his way home 

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's kind of funny is if the fake note imgur dude had just said "I was practicing my caligraphy and writing a short story. I didn't realize so many people would assume it's real..." he probably would have gotten away with it lmao.

wipe up or ship out
Nov 5, 2008

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

What's the STDH obsession with being looked dead in the eye? Did everyone refuse to look at you growing up?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
A common facet of autism is having difficulty with eye contact, either being bad at maintaining it or feeling uncomfortable during

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khazar-khum posted:

CMOA--the Punisher.

quote:

Pyro Skittle had her crowning moment recently.
There be a racist black jerkass at her school.
She be one of the few who dealt with him in a forced manner because she is good friends with his girlfriend.
How he even has a girlfriend Pyro(S) will never know.
At this time it must be mentioned that Pyro(S) is the girl that makes friends with everyone, including ladybugs, (No really- they've assaulted me with their red-and-black lovin' almost monthly since last June,) can make friends with the most conservative Muslim girls that actually wear the veil and refuse to talk to non-Muslims, and has an ability to diffuse serious situations within two sentences and a tip of her hat.
He said a comment that broke the straw that broke the camel's back

I can't even make it through this

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Fathis Munk posted:

Also "I don't even own a television" is a fun podcast about really bad books and they did a left behind episode iirc. What a terrible book.

IDEOTV has done some other great STDH books as well, like Slash and Michelle Remembers. One of my favorite podcasts; the hosts are just so chill.

And on the subject of podcasts, The F Plus has two TV Tropes episodes, one of which is entirely them doing dramatic readings of Troper Tales.

Cygna has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Jan 28, 2016

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Public page.

"I won't repeat it, you just gotta believe me! It was TOO awful that I am completely fine with this horrendous person keeping their job!"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Ha, ha, ha, like anyone in the business of selling clothes wants people to think they look okay without other clothes that are for sale at the same store.

I suppose that woman thinks that when waiters ask if she wants dessert that they're trying to give her diabetes.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I was taking a class today and we were divided into two teams and two people were made captains. I said "o captain my captain" out loud and one person groaned and another person also said "o captain my captain." Everyone then stood up and left some hours later.

Decrepus has a new favorite as of 02:38 on Jan 28, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Ratspeaker posted:

IDEOTV has done some other great STDH books as well, like Slash and Michelle Remembers. One of my favorite podcasts; the hosts are just so chill.

And on the subject of podcasts, The F Plus has two TV Tropes episodes, one of which is entirely them doing dramatic readings of Troper Tales.

The troper tales episode is one if my favourite yeh. I will never stop feeling unending sadness over the end of troper tales.

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
IDEOATV has an amazing episode over Diablo Cody's book about her being a stripper, and it's the best mix of stdh and her being a poo poo person. It even has Lemon from The Fplus too.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
stdh :I don't even own a Television being a funny podcast.

The man finds everything sexist and gross. He's constantly triggered.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Megera posted:

Public page.

"I won't repeat it, you just gotta believe me! It was TOO awful that I am completely fine with this horrendous person keeping their job!"

GREAT POST AMAZING MOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Non Serviam posted:

Well to be fair a lot of stuff they read is sexist on some levels and only rarely did I feel that he made a big huff about something that did not deserve it :shrug:. He does seem to be very engaged and attentive about that stuff but I don't think it detracts from the rest of the podcast tbh.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Non Serviam posted:

They did a book I liked, too.

buteruc
Feb 12, 2009

I'm going to check out that podcast, thanks for the rec.

On topic, I helped a little old lady off a train yesterday and no one clapped. I don't think anyone even noticed.

I should have taken a selfie of us together. #blessed #goodheart #strongwomen

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

said "triggered", great punchline 9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

They are becoming self-aware!

• Locked thread