Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I hope braknar doesn't resign and in fact becomes a more powerful mod by banning the entirety of the red server for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Apparently it was this guy spamming EC (the ranger in the group, not the bard from my guild streaming this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXTNqaxWjqY

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Finally doing some things.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

what are some good spots to druid(60) PL my ranger(17) buddy without being a dick about it?

he wants to go to unrest lol

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

a real jerk posted:

what are some good spots to druid(60) PL my ranger(17) buddy without being a dick about it?

he wants to go to unrest lol

On blue you can do Sarnak fortress in Lake of Ill Omen. Have the DRU run in and grab all the mobs you can handle safely, and then the ranger with do 11 points of damage to each mob while they attack you. You then AOE down the mobs. I had a druid PL me there from 16 to 21 on Blue, and we only left because I got tired.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
LOIO is a poo poo PL zone, the ZEM is awful. Do not go to unrest, there's people leveling there for real at all hours. SolA is a great PL spot due to high ZEM, plenty of mobs, and not many groups outside of prime time. It's also got easy high level pulls due to green mob aggro. Paw isn't bad either, but SolA is faster. You can also do upper guk but most people on blue seem to not know that zone at all and there's limited higher level mobs so it won't take you as far as SolA. SolA to low 30s, Kedge/SolB to mid/high 40s, then have the druid use charm shenanigans in Perma pit, SolB, or Kedge to do as many levels as they're up for after that. Outside of awkwardly giving away charm-solo XP, druids are not great at melee PL past 50. Monks/SKs/Shamans/Enchanters are a lot more flexible/faster at that point.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

thanks for the replies. no way jose am I gonna go poo poo up unrest like that

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
i love to remind greengrocer and hurb that they don't even play this game anymore. the p99 circlejerk reddit crys for attention are just sad at this point. i bet they're at least mid 30's and still stalking the same girls from high school.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Do you guys think that nefarious EC / Gfay spammer on blue is Greengrocer? Someone in my guild who claims to be in the know had this to say:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ramulack posted:

Do you guys think that nefarious EC / Gfay spammer on blue is Greengrocer? Someone in my guild who claims to be in the know had this to say:

aparmenideanmonad posted:

That would be Greengrocer. Best/worst former staff member meltdown ever.
Yes, it's 100% gg. Rogean's posts on the forums have pretty much confirmed this and gg is the only one with the right combination of huge grudge against Braknar/staff + crazy to put this much time into spamming. The fact that it started up right after Braknar came back from a break (from being publicly active anyway) is not a coincidence considering his beef is that he wants Rogean to fire Braknar "or else".

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl

Meatgrinder posted:

Hey you guys in BDA, I've got a cleric friend trying to hand in a shimmering pearl to Zordak Ragefire but they get beaten to the punch every time. Would it be possible to sort of get them in line for that, and if so, would that require payment? Any other higher up guilds are welcome to help as well. I don't know how many goons we got where, I just know we got a bunch in BDA.

Cleric's name is Mufinz. I know epics are mainly a raid thing but I'm like, the more clickies on the server (that are actually active and, you know, owe you/your guild a favor) the better.

Honestly the best way to approach this is to send a friendly tell to the person that beat them to the pearl turn-in and chat about it. A lot of the people who get pearl turn-ins are regulars who spawn Ragefire all the time so they can farm up and sell cleric epic MQs. They might be willing to step aside for a future turn-in so that a smaller guild can get a shot at it. The only way to find out is to ask.

Your friend has a guild who will show up to beat up Ragefire, right?

Danksauce
Mar 24, 2005

Fuck this job.
If I wanted to fire this up tomorrow and get started not knowing a single person and not having played since 2002 would I find it enjoyable? I'm not scared of the grind or anything like that, I just want people to play and level with.

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.

Danksauce posted:

If I wanted to fire this up tomorrow and get started not knowing a single person and not having played since 2002 would I find it enjoyable? I'm not scared of the grind or anything like that, I just want people to play and level with.

This is why the server exists, so people like you can come play with people like us.

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.
God drat it, I want to start playing again. This will be my third time in 5 years, ugh.

What's the state of things, server still super active? Is there a goon guild that hasn't fallen to pieces?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Kefit posted:

Honestly the best way to approach this is to send a friendly tell to the person that beat them to the pearl turn-in and chat about it. A lot of the people who get pearl turn-ins are regulars who spawn Ragefire all the time so they can farm up and sell cleric epic MQs. They might be willing to step aside for a future turn-in so that a smaller guild can get a shot at it. The only way to find out is to ask.

Your friend has a guild who will show up to beat up Ragefire, right?

Thanks for the info! They're in Blackheart Pirates, who do raids and stuff with Kittens and Homeland so I guess they can handle it.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Blue server is still well populated. Keep in mind due to its age it is pretty heavy with level 60s and twink alts. That being said, there are people who are returning to the game every once and awhile. I come across legit newbies pretty frequently (this also includes people completely new to the game). Despite how rabid the forums seem the community Is fairly nice overall.

As a newbie you'll want to save up bonechips as necros will often buy in bulk and offer 10pp a stack. Low end gear is pretty affordable in EC tunnel to get you started up.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Danksauce posted:

Absolutely! Play on blue, and just log in exp and enjoy the nostalgia. Try not to get wrapped up in thinking about endgame or anything, just focus on a cool 900 year old game and take it a day at a time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Danksauce posted:

Yeah there's lots of random people online at any hour, 1000+ easy. All major camp spots will have groups, if they're not full they'll almost assuredly group with you. Some zones are less trafficked but that can be a good thing. Its pretty easy to hop in and go, but the grind is real.

Scrum posted:

God drat it, I want to start playing again. This will be my third time in 5 years, ugh.

What's the state of things, server still super active? Is there a goon guild that hasn't fallen to pieces?

Goon guild is always in a rough state because the goons who are super serious about p1999 end up joining raiding guilds as a matter of necessity. So only those of us who gently caress around instead of trying to raid for serious (like myself) or people's alt characters are actually in the goon guild.

That said, usually 3-5 goons online in the goon guild at any given time, plus several other goons who aren't in the guild.

Anybody starting a new character on blue feel free to post when you're gonna be online and I'll try to come powerlevel you a little or throw you some platinum or something to get you started. The first 10 levels are pretty dull otherwise.

Danksauce
Mar 24, 2005

Fuck this job.
I remember having a hell of a time leveling my barbarian shaman at release, should I be starting in the Freeport area?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Danksauce posted:

I remember having a hell of a time leveling my barbarian shaman at release, should I be starting in the Freeport area?

The most popular newbie zone by far is Gfay, after that probably freeport yeah. As a barb you're gonna start in Halas regardless and you'll just have to move your rear end when you start.

When are you going to roll your char? I can try to run over to Halas and port you to WC or BB after work. If you're on now I guess you might be able to make it before I get off work, but its kinda dangerous for newbies. Maybe try hitting up a dial-a-port guy, although they'll have to run out to everfrost.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Danksauce posted:

Halas is a pretty poo poo newbie area, but you could always make the run to Qeynos Hills instead.

Field of Bone is probably the best/easiest newbie area, and Iksar make great Shamans too.

Danksauce
Mar 24, 2005

Fuck this job.

Zaphod42 posted:

The most popular newbie zone by far is Gfay, after that probably freeport yeah. As a barb you're gonna start in Halas regardless and you'll just have to move your rear end when you start.

When are you going to roll your char? I can try to run over to Halas and port you to WC or BB after work. If you're on now I guess you might be able to make it before I get off work, but its kinda dangerous for newbies. Maybe try hitting up a dial-a-port guy, although they'll have to run out to everfrost.

I made the run from Halas to Freeport at level 9, I'll never forget that; A real moment in gaming for me. Going through High Pass without a bind or anything and then Kithicor? Forest during the evening with all the undead around. I'd never been so happy as when I made it to the commonlands.

This is exactly why I want to play this game again.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Halas/EF is rough to do 1-3 due to all the roaming mobs on the same path. Pull them off to the side or you'll get swarmed. Qeynos area is actually fine for 1-10/12 as long as you don't mind farming gnoll fangs to turn in to the warrior guild in South Qeynos - they and rabid animal pelts still give pretty great XP - but you won't see a lot of other people there. I'd still say go for it because that Qeynos -> Freeport trip on your first P99 character will be worth epic amounts of nostalgia.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Danksauce posted:

I made the run from Halas to Freeport at level 9, I'll never forget that; A real moment in gaming for me. Going through High Pass without a bind or anything and then Kithicor? Forest during the evening with all the undead around. I'd never been so happy as when I made it to the commonlands.

This is exactly why I want to play this game again.

Hahaha, yeah that's the name of the game. Feeling that pressure where you really really don't wanna die is completely lacking from modern MMOs.

I'd probably stop for a bind in Qeynos if I was you. And make sure you go through Kithicor during daytime :) Good luck!

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Bored porters will likely give you a ride for free. Explain that you don't have money and try to get to a wizard spire or druid ring. Be patient and someone will eventually pick you up. Some people like me may even donate some starter cash for spells.

We try to help most people that post here. Post your character name and we'll try to help.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

As a barbarian shaman, you'll want to stay around Halas for the first 10 or so levels. There are no shaman trainers or spell merchants that will talk to you outside of FV.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pratan posted:

As a barbarian shaman, you'll want to reroll

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Lol.

Barb shaman is good though. Warrior and Wizard are the "reroll now" classes.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Barb shaman is goodnot the worst class/race combo though. Warrior and Wizard are the "reroll now" classes.

Really should roll Troll or Iksar, or even Ogre. Barb is definitely the worst shaman race by far. Innate regen is huge until you get Torpor. Ogre isn't too bad, frontal stun immunity is better than the extra WIS that Barbs get.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The troll/iks regen is noticeably better and useful from 50-59. Ogre is far better at 60 when face tanking slowed mobs while torporing yourself for infinite heals/canni mana is how you're rolling. Getting 300hp/tick makes never getting bashed a lot more useful than an extra 8hp/tick while standing.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Guess it just comes down to preference ultimately. My brother plays a 60 Iksar Shaman and we've never had a moment where either of us has said "Wow, wish you were an Ogre" but we definitely gush over the innate HP regen pretty often.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
So you've never had bash interrupt a spell? Ever?

Not saying FSI is the greatest thing ever but considering torpor makes regen moot in most situations, it's pretty nice to have. To elaborate, canni dancing is not as effective at 60 as just chaining two canni spells with a clicky between them to reset global spell cool down while sucking down torpor heals as needed. Having a bigger hp pool to be able to safely use all 1200-1500 points of the torpor heal is actually what you really want. The racial bonus is worth 32-40hp when doing torpor/canni spam (how much you regen during the course of the heal). This is also why you see 60 sham ditching fungi tunics in favor of big ac/hp BPs for some situations in Velious. And a fungi has nearly 2x the regen of the racial bonus.

Edit: note this is min/max and spergy as gently caress and I completely agree that the regen bonus is still a nice thing much of the time. A lot of shaman will be 60 a long time without getting torpor as well due to its cost.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 27, 2016

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
Shamans are good no matter what race they pick. Source: I'm a 60 barb shaman, and I've never regretted my race decision. I have torpor though, so your mileage may vary.

Iksar and troll are nice when leveling due to regen, but that stops mattering at all if/when you get torpor. Hell, even a fungi is enough to make racial regen matter much less. Honestly, the only time I've pined for racial regen is when I was the main healer in exp groups and canni'ing constantly in a desperate attempt to keep up with the pulls.

Ogre frontal stun immunity isn't very important, because the vast majority of spell interrupts come from push, not stun. I'd probably care more about the fact that ogres get more starting stamina, though I think all shaman max out stamina with super duper high end Velious gear.

Barbarians can safely travel to all the good cities, which is very nice for a casual leveling experience. They also aren't ugly as sin, and are a lot more ~classic~ than filthy iksar. These all played important roles in my decision to roll barbarian. They also get +10 cold resist, which is actually kind of nice to have when raiding.

So yeah, ignore these guys and just roll whatever race you want. Also, send a tell to Kefkef in game and if I'm free I can run by and throw you some plat for spells and a decent newbie weapon.

Danksauce
Mar 24, 2005

Fuck this job.
Realistically I think I'd like to play an Iksar or Ogre, but the alignment issues make me wonder if I should go a different route.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Shaman race rundown:

- Ogres have a big advantage soloing npc's that summon
- Troll and Iksar have a slight advantage in efficiency raiding and grouping, and a huge advantage leveling, because of regeneration
- Barbarian and Iksar have an often underrated edge in PVP because their player models are harder to target in mass PVP (even with illusions guise etc you will get dispelled, shamans are common focus targets)
- Barbarian has the best plate models and velious helm model, best starting factions

really between ogre/troll/iksar there's no right choice for min/max, it's all dependent on what you're doing the most. if you're on blue and you're not mr moneybags i would suggest a regen race because guilds on blue hoarde torpor scrolls and inflate the price, so you may not see it for a while. if you're on red i would suggest iksar. but there is no wrong answer.

ignore stats, any race/class combo can 255 all relevant stats in velious gear

edit:

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 27, 2016

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Yeah shamans are so insanely overpowered for basically everything other than PVP, race really doesn't matter. I play a Barb shaman and while yes sometimes it's annoying to have spells be interrupted by a stun, Barbs have by far the best plate graphics of any race. Of course, I also have a guise so dark elf shaman is how you really be cool. Oh and I rolled female. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other guised female shamans on Blue who are active. I'm still amazed at how many people ask me "how are you a dark elf?" and also at how often a druid will pick me up for a port and give me a SoW, even though they can see the shaman epic in my hand!

Ugh I've been playing this game for like 17 years...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Danksauce posted:

Realistically I think I'd like to play an Iksar or Ogre, but the alignment issues make me wonder if I should go a different route.

If this is your first 1999 character, especially if you weren't a crazy ever-quest poopsocker back in the day, starting good is probably a very good idea.

Do Shamans get wolf form? If so that lets you skip past guards in enemy faction cities...

...nope, druids / rangers only. Of course. So you'd have to get somebody to cast share wolf form, and it'd have to be re-cast when you zone. Huge pain in the rear end.

Yeah so I'd actually say that being good is underrated. Being able to hang in freeport or whatever without having to be super paranoid about going underground to avoid guards or swimming during the night so you don't agro that one paladin... too much effort.

Iksar have a great starting area and regen is cool and lizard-people are cool, but if you wanna go run dungeons on the mainland its a huge loving pain. No easy bank access. If you're a monk you can FD near the High Hold bank and trade, but if you're not monk you're gonna have to do hundreds of quest turn-ins to grind up your faction, gently caress that noise.

Ogres and Trolls are powerful but they're ugly as sin and you have to deal with being evil, which isn't as bad as being Iksar but still can be a pain in the rear end.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 27, 2016

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
So I camped to AC for maybe 3 hours before work in OOT. No Dice.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ramulack posted:

So I camped to AC for maybe 3 hours before work in OOT. No Dice.

What char are you?

Been doing some splishy splash in the ocean myself recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Tibmit (gnome necro)