Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I just pretend season 3 was the last season of Community, and I am perfectly content to maintain that pretense indefinitely. :colbert:

also, god, it's amazing how Fox is deciding to engage in a one-upmanship game with NBC to see who can make the stupidest, most out of touch decisions. Lucifer seems so drat ill-conceived. WHY DOES HE HAVE TO SOLVE MYSTERIES? Are they so colossally dense that they still think only police procedurals will sell?
It's Satan, BUT HE'S A COP seems like something Jack Donaghy might have come up with in that season of 30 Rock where he was deliberately trying to destroy NBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

lelandjs posted:

I disagree, Paget Brewster and Keith David were so great that they basically legitimized the 6th season by themselves.

Though I will say I'm surprised we never got an episode focusing on the other study group (which in my mind is Leonard, Vicki, Garret, Fat Neil, Magnitude, and Todd).

I will concede on this point. Those actors were really great, and they absolutely did a fantastic job in becoming rapidly likable. But again, the group dynamic had already been damaged pretty severely with the loss of Shirley, Troy, and Pierce. It's tough to make that up in six episodes, but they did a great job, along with the Dean especially. There were some great scenes in season 6, but the show was a shallow husk held up by some great individuals. Britta, Annie, Jeff literally all just stopped trying it felt like.

Slightly Related: I just watched the new X-Files (I've only seen the X-files pilot). I don't think the new pilot was as good as the old one,, though it has its moments. However, there's a point where Joel McHale just goes absolute :tinfoil: and everyone (including Mulder) just looks at him thinking "what the gently caress is he talking about".

From what I know of the old show, the general feeling I got (again only saw the pilot) was that Scully disbelieved in "aliens" and tried to rationalize everything using her medical and scientific background. So the general show's vibe ended up being, "there's some spooky stuff out there, but how much of it is really myth and how much is truth?" And the answer would be somewhere in between with a case being pretty strange, but not completely unexplainable, so the audience would teeter between "is Mulder right or is Scully right?"

But this sequel appears to disregard that tone of mystery completely, just blatantly trying to demonstrate to you that Mulder is right and that Aliens exist and that all conspiricies are true. :tinfoil:

And I don't like that. There's no ambiguity at all, which is why it's so jarring that Joel McHale can just drop a shitload of conspiracies all at once and the audience is just supposed to accept them as true because Mulder believes in them, and Scully, whose opinion barely matters anymore because apparently due to a romantic interest that developed a decade ago, is inclined to trust Mulder completely.

Feel free to correct me if I'm completely off base with this understanding. Maybe this level of :tinfoil: is just standard, I guess I just assumed that because it's occult in nature, a plotline could be resolved without revealing the true answer to a conspiracy.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I just watch all six seasons of Community over the last three weeks. The Dean may the worst character I've ever seen on a TV show. Not as in a bad person, but grinding every single scene he's in into an unfunny halt.

Wait, Mike from Breaking Bad died in Community? I never heard that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, The Flash got really bad really fast

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it has. How can you hosed up a reverse flash episode?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Lucifer EP is Jerry Bruckheimer. Isn't he the EP for all of the CSI shows? If that's the case good luck thinking it will be anything but a cop procedural with Lucifer helping out.
LOL if you think a non-showrunner EP does anything but collect paychecks.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rarity posted:

Well yeah, that's kind of his thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

It's Satan, BUT HE'S A COP seems like something Jack Donaghy might have come up with in that season of 30 Rock where he was deliberately trying to destroy NBC.

I already made this joke in this thread HOW DARE YOU

season 6 of Community is good and Frankie/Elroy slot in perfectly and it has a brilliant finale but it's also not very funny a lot of the time and the worst episodes are even worse than a lot of 4

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The X-Files revival is watchable but honestly it just makes me miss Fringe.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Chris Carter should've stayed well away from the show he created. He's like Tim Kring.

I will concede that in the early going he had a really good handle on what he wanted to do, who he wanted those characters to be and what the show was about. But all that went out of the window real fast.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rarity posted:

How bad? I loved Season 1 and was looking forward to Season 2 when it hit DVD.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Certainly the show has backslid. For instance, a new love interest for Barry is introduced. She's actually awesome; it's just that the writer's room didn't learn a loving thing from how much Iris' character suffered for not being brought into Team Flash sooner, and because said love interest is supposed to be a detective...working the meta beat with Joe...it's even more ridiculous that she hasn't been looped in. There are a bunch of little things like that which add up.

The main actors are still killing it, though, and for every two minor beats they botch, there's one major beat that they'll thoroughly nail. A lot of the backlash has to do with the shine coming off the show, bringing the same problems it's always had into starker relief.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

Certainly the show has backslid. For instance, a new love interest for Barry is introduced. She's actually awesome; it's just that the writer's room didn't learn a loving thing from how much Iris' character suffered for not being brought into Team Flash sooner, and because said love interest is supposed to be a detective...working the meta beat with Joe...it's even more ridiculous that she hasn't been looped in. There are a bunch of little things like that which add up.

The main actors are still killing it, though, and for every two minor beats they botch, there's one major beat that they'll thoroughly nail. A lot of the backlash has to do with the shine coming off the show, bringing the same problems it's always had into starker relief.

It's having a lot of Arrow Season 3 type issues, where they didn't really seem to plan ahead for storylines past season 1 so instead of the plot being fast-moving (:haw:) and engaging, it just kinda drags and is boring. At this point I barely care what happens anymore.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

I so can't stand the way the show treats her that I bailed after the winter finale. Hearing it's getting worse since the return makes me satisfied with my decision.

I hope iZombie doesn't somehow start being terrible (I'd hope the same about the 100 but that's never really mattered to me so far...).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well hopefully it'll pick back up in Season 3.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Ravane posted:

...the (X-Files') vibe ended up being, "there's some spooky stuff out there, but how much of it is really myth and how much is truth?" And the answer would be somewhere in between with a case being pretty strange, but not completely unexplainable...

But this sequel appears to disregard that tone of mystery completely, just blatantly trying to demonstrate to you that Mulder is right and that Aliens exist and that all conspiricies are true. :tinfoil:

Not really. The original series might have hedged their bets in the very early episodes, but it wasn't long at all before there was clearly supernatural/otherworldly poo poo going on, it's just that Scully was usually not present for the most obvious displays, and only came in later to dissect a corpse or sweep for evidence.

She remained mostly steadfast in her resolve through the course of the show, attributing paranormal poo poo to gene mutations, government conspiracies, eugenics, etc (which often times were perfectly legitimate answers.) But Mulder, and the audience, were not left to wonder.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Manos del Sino posted:

Not really. The original series might have hedged their bets in the very early episodes, but it wasn't long at all before there was clearly supernatural/otherworldly poo poo going on, it's just that Scully was usually not present for the most obvious displays, and only came in later to dissect a corpse or sweep for evidence.

She remained mostly steadfast in her resolve through the course of the show, attributing paranormal poo poo to gene mutations, government conspiracies, eugenics, etc (which often times were perfectly legitimate answers.) But Mulder, and the audience, were not left to wonder.

I'm working through the show right now with the gf whose never seen it before, and this is spot on. People forget how drat blatant they were in the original show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

GreenNight posted:

I'm working through the show right now with the gf whose never seen it before, and this is spot on. People forget how drat blatant they were in the original show.

I remember a couple of episodes in which they hinted it was all the government was loving with peoples heads, but then they went nope Mulder is right there are aliens.
I also remember the first episode ended with an alien fetus and Cancer Man hiding it beneath a government building.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

raditts posted:

It's having a lot of Arrow Season 3 type issues, where they didn't really seem to plan ahead for storylines past season 1 so instead of the plot being fast-moving (:haw:) and engaging, it just kinda drags and is boring. At this point I barely care what happens anymore.
Haven't watched tonight's episode yet but yikes. But also at the same time they spent like quite a few episodes playing Legends of Tomorrow setup on both Flash and Arrow and apparently the LoT pilot still drags?

At least Arrow season 2 was pretty drat good.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ego-bot posted:

Wait, Mike from Breaking Bad died in Community? I never heard that.

In the episode where everybody's emails get leaked one of them is about a memorial service for Hickey.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FactsAreUseless posted:

Are you ready for an entire season of Barry being an rear end in a top hat?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Manos del Sino posted:

Interesting, okay I didn't know that. I guess the new show does live up to the old one's reputation then.

In the pilot, I remember they dig up a strange looking corpse and Mulder immediately shouts, "it's an alien". Then Scully does some digging and finds out it's an orangutan, which is still strange but more believable than an alien. That's why I thought that maybe there was some push and pull, I thought the audience was supposed to empathize with Scully to determine whether or not these mysteries were less supernatural than they appear to be. I guess I enjoyed the subtlety of the original pilot.

The biggest issue honestly I had with this new pilot, and I'm not saying it's bad (it's pretty good actually), is just Joel McHale's rant about the Military Industrial Complex being connected to oil corporations making profits off of you, being connected to GMOs (:tinfoil: gmos are fine and dandy, I'm a bioengineer verifying that) to control your diet, the media to control your mind and tell you what to think (does happen, if you're dumb), all to mass murder humanity (via global warming) for seemingly no reason. Like why would they want to murder all humans, they'd lose their best customers? Also, it's cartoonishly evil.

And in the end, you're just watching Joel McHale, and you think "Wow. Mulder actually believes this crap?"

Maybe that's what they were going for, to make him look like a huge conspiracy nut. If that was normal, my bad then. I guess I thought the show was about mystery, not just Supernatural: Aliens edition.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

X-Files was Supernatural before there was a Supernatural.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chris Carter is really good at pulling stories out of insane conspiracy theories and writing barely cogent conspiracy screeds for Duchovny (and McHale it turns out) to deliver well. But my god I forgot how bad he was at writing dialogue. This reboot really is going to be classic X-files as hell as we wince through the CC meta plot episodes so we can get to the really good MOTW stories. Monday's episode really felt like any old midseason episode from any of the good seasons and I enjoyed it a lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah Chris writes the worst loving dialog holy poo poo. Hopefully if they come back for another batch, it's like 10 and he can have his two.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Supernatural's worst crime was having an X-Files parody episode on the same season that Mitch Pileggi was a recurring character, but not having Mitch Pileggi in that episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ravane posted:

Interesting, okay I didn't know that. I guess the new show does live up to the old one's reputation then.

In the pilot, I remember they dig up a strange looking corpse and Mulder immediately shouts, "it's an alien". Then Scully does some digging and finds out it's an orangutan, which is still strange but more believable than an alien. That's why I thought that maybe there was some push and pull, I thought the audience was supposed to empathize with Scully to determine whether or not these mysteries were less supernatural than they appear to be. I guess I enjoyed the subtlety of the original pilot.

The biggest issue honestly I had with this new pilot, and I'm not saying it's bad (it's pretty good actually), is just Joel McHale's rant about the Military Industrial Complex being connected to oil corporations making profits off of you, being connected to GMOs (:tinfoil: gmos are fine and dandy, I'm a bioengineer verifying that) to control your diet, the media to control your mind and tell you what to think (does happen, if you're dumb), all to mass murder humanity (via global warming) for seemingly no reason. Like why would they want to murder all humans, they'd lose their best customers? Also, it's cartoonishly evil.

And in the end, you're just watching Joel McHale, and you think "Wow. Mulder actually believes this crap?"

Maybe that's what they were going for, to make him look like a huge conspiracy nut. If that was normal, my bad then. I guess I thought the show was about mystery, not just Supernatural: Aliens edition.

Joel McHale is suppose to be a Glen Beck like character and that sounds about right.
The orangutan had a metal chip in it, which was later discovered the abductees also had. The following episodes had a UFO and Mulder's ,memory getting messed with.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rarity posted:

Are you ready for an entire season of Barry being an rear end in a top hat?
Well, Parks and Rec did it with their main character and I got through that.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

bobkatt013 posted:

Joel McHale is suppose to be a Glen Beck like character and that sounds about right.

I definitely got InfoWars more than Glenn Beck. Down to the 9/11 is an INSIDE JOB thing.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Is there a House M.D. thread? Archived even?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yesss it looks like a "Woman Seeking Man" episode of Man Seeking Woman this week. Last season's episode like that had one of the show's best scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1K8jmDTiY8

For context: all the little girls at the table are married, except for the birthday girl with freckles. This show is very weird.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 27, 2016

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, having only seen the pilot, I said it the other way. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Definitely seems like a show I could get into, though 9 seasons seems a little intimidating. I figure I'll just watch the sequel and brush up on the most important episodes of the old show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You don't have to watch all 9 seasons, you can just watch until you don't want to watch anymore. The best episodes are all stand-alones anyway.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lycus posted:

You don't have to watch all 9 seasons, you can just watch until you don't want to watch anymore. The best episodes are all stand-alones anyway.

Isn't there like an overarching plot or something?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ravane posted:

By the end it becomes a clusterfuck of stupid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I watched X-Files when I was young and all I remember was there was a meta plot that moved at about the pace of one episode a season and it was really, really, really annoying.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I watched X-Files when I was young and all I remember was there was a meta plot that moved at about the pace of one episode a season and it was really, really, really annoying.

It was more like 5-8 but by the end it got bad. If the episode has super soldiers in it, it sucks.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
At the end of the of the original series, they said that the aliens were going to invade the Earth in the year 2012. Do they ever mention this in the new episodes or did they just sweep that whole thing under the rug?

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Ravane posted:

There is, but as the seasons go on it becomes more and more convoluted and ridiculous. Which is why most people prefer the standalone episodes that don't have to try and carry the weight of all the back story.

Its been a while since I watched the X-files, but from what I remember the tipping point for the mythology is right around the time the first movie released. So end of season 5/beginning of 6. Even that sounds like it might be later than I remember.

Still, X-Files is definitely worth watching all the way through at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ravane posted:

Yes, but it's unsatisfying garbage.

• Locked thread