Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Most quirks aren't even worth removing if you don't have a surplus of cash. Even kleptomania is something you can live with until you have some reserve cash to get rid of it. The only stuff you should get rid of ASAP is stuff that is going to greatly reduce the heroes effectiveness rather than just annoy you. This applies more too diseases rather than quirks, but there is some really bad stuff like light sensitive that is going to be a big issue.

As long as John Adventurer can still swing his sword properly don't send him too the clinic, even if he does occasionally stick his head into a pile of corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Always remove Kleptomania immediately.

Everything else can wait but that absolutely always has to go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know, I'm not really finding the Abomination's stress to be a big problem. He's really useful as a human and as the Abomination he kills poo poo fast enough that he's not really causing me that much stress, because taking it out quick is preventing that stress from building in the first place.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ok I should revise my firing comments. Fire 4 people who you have invested the least amount into if possible. You should grab level 1 weapon/skill upgrades, after that more is good but you don't *need* to be upgraded more until you start doing level 3 dungeons.

Keep your cost reduction on skills/equips at least equal with how far you can upgrade them, which should be pretty easy. Note that deeds are probably going to be your bottleneck, so learning how to do the weald fights is pretty important.

Don't bother fixing negative quirks outside of kleptomania (others are bad but not bad enough to lose a mission). Diseases are almost all cure immediately, but those are also like 500gp to get rid of.

Short length missions:
8 food (lets you survive 2 hunger events. expect 1, but sometimes it RNGs you)
6 torches is about right, less if you're using a bunch of +torch abilities.
You don't need to use bandages and antivenoms as dot cures at this point. They're useful as curio interactions, but you could easily be spending an extra 1k on those that you don't need to.

Curio items: take based on the place, in a short dungeon try to not stock more than 1 of each, just because you aren't likely to see that many curios.
Ruins - key, holy water, herb
Warrens - holy water, torch, bandages
Weald - key, bandages, antivenom
Cove - shovel, medicinal herb (take 2 of one of them for curios)

If you're going to the ruins take 1 extra torch for the -light some of the enemies spam, for the weald take an extra shovel for walls.

For a full curio list, this is the one I find best/easiest: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386706480

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Stop sending all your guys to the church/tavern. They can destress naturally if they sit around in town and you have enough teams to send out. Short runs should never have more than 8 food (BRING MORE FOOD IF YOU HAVE QUIRKS THAT MAKE YOU EAT MORE, but never more than 2 hunger events worth), and never more than 4 torches. Only bring consumables that you know will be used in that specific dungeon or just bring 2 of everything, unless you are doing a cleanse run in the Cove (4 medicinal herbs should be fine). Do not use those torches at all unless you absolutely must/want to finish the mission but can't because your guys are too injured/stressed and you need to scout. As you near the end of a run, start replacing the consumables you do have with gold and gems that you pick up. Gems stack up to 4, I think? So a full stack of 250 price gems is worse than a full stack of gold.

You do not need consumables for every single curio because you will be throwing away a lot of poo poo if you do this. Use consumables from containers before closing the menu so you get some use (like healing up when you get a huge cache of food). Leave empty trinket slots on your characters so you can slap in useless trinkets you pick up to save room in your inventory. When you get back to the hamlet, sell your useless trinkets.

EDIT: Cove runs are great. Medicinal herbs in eerie coral removes negative quirks, even permanent ones. The problem is you probably want to bring a decent team because those fish people loving hurt.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 27, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips. Since I last posted, I did two runs and now I'm sitting on 16k. So yeah, mostly it was just firing people and bringing fewer supplies.

Thanks guys!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Feel free to ask anything about approaching fights or your comps. Getting in the situation where you're having a lot of your roster stressed means you might be prioritizing targets not the best, or not taking advantage of stuns/positioning things.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Another solution if you have a lot of guys with stress: take them out on a medium length mission and immediately camp. Make sure you have a lot of team-wide stress relief camp skills. Maybe top them off with in combat stress relievers. I very often will be able to complete a medium length mission without using my firewood, but use it anyway just to end the mission with 0 stress and full health.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I leave medium and above dungeons with a full inventory of loot that I haven't even considered a low light run at all since launch.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I have one other question: what is the rate at which torches burn down?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My understanding is that torches burn 6 for each 'tick' along a hallway if unexplored and 1 for each tick if explored. Going from one room to the next is five ticks, so it takes 30 torch to go from one room to the next if unexplored and 5 if explored.

Rascyc posted:

I leave medium and above dungeons with a full inventory of loot that I haven't even considered a low light run at all since launch.
I've started discarding portraits and deeds crests in favor of gold nowadays. As you stop caring as much about heirlooms, the ceiling on how much gold you want to carry increases. I'm still in the same boat as you essentially, though. Essentially, long dungeons are more about the resolve xp bonus/increased quest reward/rarer trinkets as their only draws over mediums.

e: yeah crests are so plentiful I have 200 sitting around doing nothing (I haven't upgraded either nomad or survivalist since I am still pouring gold into upgrades)

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 27, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I wish long dungeons were a liiiiittle shorter cause I end up tossing quite a bit of loot by the end, especially if I hit secret rooms.

FreeKillB posted:

My understanding is that torches burn 6 for each 'tick' along a hallway if unexplored and 1 for each tick if explored. Going from one room to the next is five ticks, so it takes 30 torch to go from one room to the next if unexplored and 5 if explored.

I've started discarding portraits and deeds in favor of gold nowadays. As you stop caring as much about heirlooms, the ceiling on how much gold you want to carry increases. I'm still in the same boat as you essentially, though.
Oh yeah, I started doing that like maybe half way through veterans. I always keep a stack of crests for the camp upgrades at least since it requires piles of them.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Abomination on position 4, that's a terrible player. That made me more annoyed than the fact he's running with religious people.
This, on the other hand, is awesome. (it should be stress symbols rather than surprised)

Edit for better content for new people:

Heroes are disposable early on, so upgrade your coach to bring in four heroes a week minimum and get your barracks to max early if you can. Don't bother upgrading your stress buildings until you have a bigger roster and level 3 heroes. Save your busts, paintings, and deeds for the Sanitarium, Guild, and Blacksmith. Unlock two Sanitarium quirk spots ASAP to work on your up-and-coming A-listers and get the gold discount for the guild's and blacksmith's upgrades when you're getting into expensive spending.

When upgrading hero skills, rather than sinking money on all of their abilities, find what kind of team or contribution that hero will be doing for the most part (usually how you're most comfortable using them) and just upgrade the 4-5 skills that will do the job.

Ignore upgrading the Survivalist and Nomad Wagon until much later in the game when you can afford to dump crests on them to make their overpriced stuff cheaper, though it's not bad policy to pick up one or two class-specific camping skills for your leveled heroes or a trinket you really, really like.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 27, 2016

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/beaglerush/status/692196218659835905

jesus christ, the little fuckers can do that poo poo?
I hope beagle gets deep into DD and starts streaming it because it is a surprisingly watchable game

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Olive Branch posted:

Heroes are disposable early on, so upgrade your coach to bring in four heroes a week minimum and get your barracks to max early if you can. Don't bother upgrading your stress buildings until you have a bigger roster and level 3 heroes. Save your busts, paintings, and deeds for the Sanitarium, Guild, and Blacksmith. Unlock two Sanitarium quirk spots ASAP to work on your up-and-coming A-listers and get the gold discount for the guild's and blacksmith's upgrades when you're getting into expensive spending.

When upgrading hero skills, rather than sinking money on all of their abilities, find what kind of team or contribution that hero will be doing for the most part (usually how you're most comfortable using them) and just upgrade the 4-5 skills that will do the job.

Ignore upgrading the Survivalist and Nomad Wagon until much later in the game when you can afford to dump crests on them to make their overpriced stuff cheaper, though it's not bad policy to pick up one or two class-specific camping skills for your leveled heroes or a trinket you really, really like.

You forgot: Upgrade the stagecoach first. That way you can get a new bunch of recruits each time, plus have the room to have an A-Team, B-Team and a scrub team.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Snak posted:

Thanks for the tips. Since I last posted, I did two runs and now I'm sitting on 16k. So yeah, mostly it was just firing people and bringing fewer supplies.

Thanks guys!

To add to the newbie chat: I haven't played much, but this is working for me (most buildings upgraded once, 25k in the bank, only one dead and a roster of 25 people with stress mostly around 10-20 on week 9)

- Grab the stagecoach upgrades ASAP. You have enough heirlooms to get 4 dudes coming each week before your first real mission.
- First priorities are barracks up to 20-25 and first level of weaponsmith. Rotating dudes is great to have options, and maximizes passive stress recuperation. The first level of weapons can shave off 1-2 turns in battles, so you have way less incoming damage.
- What I do when preparing an expedition is first decide the people who are going: I choose people of low-ish level, with max of 20 stress and appropriate to the are I'm going: Plague Doctors in bleed and blight-heavy areas, Crusaders or people with Undead Hater and Ruins Explorer in the Ruins, blight for areas with heavy protection enemies, etc... Having a variety of people is great.
- One healer (Vestal, Occultist) for team, for short missions with well equipped parties a pseudo healer (Arbalist, Crusader) works.
- I try to stack some scouting with my trinkets, because it's very useful.
- Once I have my team, I go back to the Hamlet and upgrade their weapons/skills as appropriate, while trying to be stingy with people that have a bad traits or belonging to classes that I have a bunch of. Dismas and Renauld get the Royal Treatment. Getting a couple of people with Resolve 1 and Equipment 1 makes early missions a cakewalk, means less stress all around.
- Then I check the stagecoach and see if any of the newcomers can sub in for some crippled character with high stress and bad traits.
- At this point, and only at this point, I see if there are any quirks I MUST remove, and consider if it isn't cheaper to just fire the guy. Same with reducing stress, specially in my healing classes. You can live with most negative quirks, just deal with it (f.e., if your Crusader decides he doesn't lime the Weald, whatever, you're only doing Ruin missions, anyway).
- Preparations are 8 food + 12 food for each camp (4 for the dungeon, 8 for a feast during camp). Probably excessive, but some emergency healing at the end of the dungeon is useful. 8 torches + 4 for each camp, 1 shovel + 1 per camp. 2-3 of the most common curios consumables, 1 key, maybe 1 of the rest, maybe not. Basically, the wiki is pretty good about what you'll need. It seems a lot, but I find that I make enough money out of extra loot from curios, saving money from using not having to remove stress, etc... to make it worth it.

So far I've only had to put 3 people in stress reducing buildings, won every mission (included 2 with the Collector, and 2 where I forgot to bring torches :cripes:) and are doing fine in general terms.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 27, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

fatherboxx posted:

I hope beagle gets deep into DD and starts streaming it because it is a surprisingly watchable game

The tweet before that sets it up wonderfully, as the same guy decides to stay in the hall "on a winning streak." :allears:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've played three hours total now and "Oh poo poo I haven't seen these mobs before - OH poo poo I FORGOT TO USE TORCHES AND LIGHT IS AT ZERO" is the best/worst thing.

New quests open up once you have people at level 2, right? I've been rotating so fiercely I don't have any 2s yet, so all I get are beginner missions. I got confused at first and nearly dove into the Darkest Dungeon but my adventurers kept pleading with me to not go.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Antti posted:

I've played three hours total now and "Oh poo poo I haven't seen these mobs before - OH poo poo I FORGOT TO USE TORCHES AND LIGHT IS AT ZERO" is the best/worst thing.

New quests open up once you have people at level 2, right? I've been rotating so fiercely I don't have any 2s yet, so all I get are beginner missions. I got confused at first and nearly dove into the Darkest Dungeon but my adventurers kept pleading with me to not go.

There are three tiers of quests - level 1 beginner dungeons, level 3 veteran dungeons, and level 6 champion dungeons, as I understand it. Then there's the Darkest Dungeon.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Antti posted:

You get an achievement for that!

By the way, I'm kinda disappointed with the Grave Robber. She's been my only casualty so far, due to NOT DODGING ANY OF 4 ATTACKS IN A ROW WITH 40 DODGE GODDAMIT NOT-LARA CROFT. Does she get better once I get her a couple of levels + Shadow Fade? Offensively she's great, specially sniping those goblet skeletons, but she takes hits like wet tissue paper.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just fought the Wizened Hag for the first time; pretty tense but I had a run of good luck on top of some good team synergy.

Party formation was Hound Master, Plague Doctor, Abomination, Hellion. My Abomination had his resolve tested earlier in the mission but came out virtuous, which was already a boon to my quest. Had him transform the first round which pushed the Plague Doctor and Hellion over the edge, but the Plague Doctor wound up virtuous as well! Hellion took a turn for irrational but didn't let that stop her from scoring a crit against the Hag for 18 damage. Well the Hag didn't like that so she snatched up the Hellion and threw her in the pot. Well my Abomination didn't care for that and promptly crit'd the Hag for an additional 22 damage - all while the Hound Master and Plague Doctor took turns slapping her with bleed and blight. The pot spit out the Hellion at death's door (she was already heavily injured going into the fight) so the witch scooped up the Hound Master, but he wasn't even in there long enough to take damage cause my Abomination reduced her to a fine red mist the instant he had a chance to move. The whole fight lasted, I think, maybe four turns?

This game likes to go wrong a lot, but it's all worth it for when it goes right. Next up's either the Necromancer who I've already faced a few times before in early access, or the Swine Prince who I haven't.

Olive Branch posted:

Abomination on position 4, that's a terrible player. That made me more annoyed than the fact he's running with religious people.
They're leaving him behind. Notice how they're all marching ahead while he's just standing there looking sad?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

StrixNebulosa posted:

There are three tiers of quests - level 1 beginner dungeons, level 3 veteran dungeons, and level 6 champion dungeons, as I understand it. Then there's the Darkest Dungeon.

Champion is 5, Darkest Dungeon is 6 :eng101:

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Haven't played this for a while, caught my interest again now that it's in full release.
I have a question: how is turn order supposed to be determined? I get that there's a speed stat, but it feels really random at times.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Brumaldo posted:

Haven't played this for a while, caught my interest again now that it's in full release.
I have a question: how is turn order supposed to be determined? I get that there's a speed stat, but it feels really random at times.

I think initiative order is determined by something like SPD+1d5.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

One of the updates recently said they were trying out 1d8 initiative, before that I think it was 1d10. So now it should be Spd+1d8, rolled each round.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

RNG in my turn order, that's gonna be really frustrating. Oh well.

Thanks for the answers! :haw:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

One thing they also added is an indicator if someone went yet or not, it is the little white bar by each character. Helps a lot with planning your moves during combat.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

ZypherIM posted:

One thing they also added is an indicator if someone went yet or not, it is the little white bar by each character. Helps a lot with planning your moves during combat.

Thanks for the reply a couple of pages back. I believe I kept on top of most of your advice. I recon my party was more battered than I thought after a collector fight just before.

Gonna fire up this baby tonight, and hopefully get in a good steam.
Now, if I can get more ACC things so my guys miss less on their stuns, that will be just dandy!

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
I keep dying in the weald at heroic and it's always after 3-4 encounters. What seems to be getting me is either stress or the enemy dogpiling on a character. But I guess someday I'll be able to make it to the Hag Witch with a full party that's not all afflicted.
In better news, I am currently levelling a arbalest up with a locked in natural eye (+5acc ranged) and unerring (+10% damage ranged) and so far she's been amazing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

FreeKillB posted:

Now I'm curious. Are the tool tips also lying about scouting and surprise modifiers?

It's not that they're lying, it's that the game conveys some information in the dumbest way possible. For example 100% stun resist doesn't mean you can't be stunned --if I have a stun with 158% stun chance, I still have a chance to break through your resists. Traps work the same way. You may have 135% chance to disarm a trap, but if the trap has 150% chance to blight you you're still gonna get got sometimes.

fatherboxx posted:

He's been streaming it on Twitch pretty regularly since release.

Also, never Tavern destress. Just pretend it doesn't exist and fire them or remove the quirk if they have something that won't let them destress in the Abbey. I still have yet to replace the Ancestor's Map Dismas decided to gamble away like 4 months ago.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Holy poo poo what the gently caress is the goddamn crit chance on treebranch smackdown? I just had to pull out of a long (and loving expensive) weald run after 4 fights in a row that started off with treebranch crit to go from full hp to death's door. Last fight I ended up losing my plague doctor and decided that enough bullshit was enough. gently caress that awful place

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Holy poo poo what the gently caress is the goddamn crit chance on treebranch smackdown? I just had to pull out of a long (and loving expensive) weald run after 4 fights in a row that started off with treebranch crit to go from full hp to death's door. Last fight I ended up losing my plague doctor and decided that enough bullshit was enough. gently caress that awful place

Are you doing the champion dungeons? Because I'm pretty sure the crit chance for all mobs go through the roof there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 20-30%.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

"f you go out in the woods today, You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go out in the woods today, You'd better go in disguise"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Macaluso posted:

Nature herself... a victim of the spreading corruption...
My obsession caused this great foulness......

shs
Feb 14, 2012
forget the eldritch abominations, there's an rear end in a top hat with a tree branch in the front row

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Just beat the game but didn't get the achievements for taking Dismas and Reynauld to the last DD quest as well as completing the game on strict mode. Are they bugged?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So I did something incredibly stupid last night, and I feel I must make it known so that no one follows my example.

Going through the Weald, just about done with the dungeon, and I get a scouting event that, I thought, revealed the last room battle. So I go up, fight that, ditch extraneous supplies like torches and such to pick up loot and...wait, why isn't the mission over?

Oh, there's one more battle that I missed. Eh, even if my torches run out, how bad can it be?

Oh, it's four of those rear end in a top hat dogs. In pitch darkness. Eh, my party's still in decent shape. I can take 'em.

...yeah, about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's funny, the first time I ever encountered the rabid dog quartet, I got COMPLETELY wrecked. they're so fast and apply poo poo to you as well, things can quickly go south. Now of course with upgrades they just get clowned, but early in the game that enemy group will murder you.