Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If anyone remembers the conversation about the hopelessness of the modern left, here's an interesting article/review about it.
https://lareviewofbooks.org/review/on-algorithmic-communism

[EDIT: While I don't think that automation will inevitably lead to mass unemployment, it didn't happen when we automated the farms and factories so I don't see why automating the office would necessarily be any different, they still make some interesting points.]

open24hours fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah rip

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
ADF-linked website for Muslim members calls for overthrow of our government, says we are at war with Islam and its followers

So the ADF's guide to religion and belief links to a page on Islam, which in turn links to a Q&A site run by a Salafist scholar, which buried somewhere has a statement saying that:

quote:

Democracy is a system that is contrary to Islam (because) legislative authority is given to someone other than Allah, may He be exalted. In these systems legislation has been promulgated allowing abortion, same-sex marriage and usurious interest (riba); the rulings of sharee‘ah have been abolished; and fornication/adultery and the drinking of alcohol are permitted. In fact this system is at war with Islam and its followers.

Therefore Muslims in the ADF want to overthrow the government of Australia :confused:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Short animated film currently doing the festival circuit, based on recorded conversations with Manus Island detainees:

https://vimeo.com/152158702

Haven't seen it pick up much traction online and I doubt it's going to sway anyones opinion but it's very well made nonetheless.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Short animated film currently doing the festival circuit, based on recorded conversations with Manus Island detainees:

https://vimeo.com/152158702

Haven't seen it pick up much traction online and I doubt it's going to sway anyones opinion but it's very well made nonetheless.

<s>Typical leftie, trying to force people to feel sympathy for others.

</s>

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Has applying for jobs always been complete bullshit or has anything changed in the past 7 years? I'm guessing I just got lucky in the past and forgot about it. Last 5 jobs I've applied for ask for a resume and force you to fill out what is basically your resume in boxes as part of the application process. Seems terribly inefficient.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zenithe posted:

Has applying for jobs always been complete bullshit or has anything changed in the past 7 years? I'm guessing I just got lucky in the past and forgot about it. Last 5 jobs I've applied for ask for a resume and force you to fill out what is basically your resume in boxes as part of the application process. Seems terribly inefficient.

a pint of acid to the face will fix this btw. catch him in his driveway ;)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
A big thanks to the NRL for reminding us that Kyrgios and Tomic are really not that bad.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

TG-Chrono posted:

A big thanks to the NRL for reminding us that Kyrgios and Tomic are really not that bad.
A reminder that the other guy that did this went to England and made more money than he did in Australia, suffering virtually no harassment from the press or ongoing controversy on account of the fact that he's not an uppity ethnic who needs to pull his head in and/or go back to where he came from

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zenithe posted:

I suspect that some of it might be to combat the higher unemployment, and more forceful regulations on job application numbers. A flat-out, simple advertisement through Seek probably gets nigh-unworkable shitloads of applications, but if they force you through 15-20 minutes of bullshit forms just to apply to a simple administration job, that cuts down the list considerably.

I've been through two separate interviews so far for a job in Melbourne that I really want, and not having to deal with that sort of poo poo anymore is still in like, the top ten things I'm looking forward to.And that's a list that includes stuff like 'I could move into the same street the office is on', 'this is exactly the sort of job I want to have', and 'I will finally have the freedom and privacy to do something I've wanted to do for nearly a decade'.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Lay down with dogs, end up in England.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Public Transport Victoria 'fudging' train overcrowding statistics for Melbourne morning peak, Greens say

Half of Melbourne's morning peak train services are almost double their capacity and transport authorities are covering up the real statistics, according to the Greens.

Data obtained under Freedom of Information showed the capacity on six of the city's 11 rail lines exceeded the 800 passenger benchmark during the morning rush, the party said.

Greens Victorian leader Greg Barber said infrastructure had not kept up with the population boom in parts of the outer suburbs and the city's growth corridors, and accused Public Transport Victoria of "fudging" its statistics.

"The standard is 800 people per train, that's considered to be overloaded, but on most lines pretty close to half the trains are now exceeding that standard," Mr Barber said.

"I think they've broken a new record in this survey because they had 1,262 people on one train [on the Pakenham line]."

He said the survey, which is conducted twice a year, compared figures from May 2015 to the same month in 2014.

"We got the raw data from the survey, and it turns out they've been fudging the figures," Mr Barber said

"Anytime a train gets cancelled or delayed, that causes overcrowding, but they actually exclude that from their figures because they say that's not normal.

"But cancellations and delays are normal, they're happening all the time."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-27/greens-accuse-transport-authorities-of-statistics-%27cover-up%27/7116904

TG-Chrono posted:

Lay down with dogs, end up in England.

Chris??

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Zenithe posted:

Yeah, they'll do that. Also, you pretty much need to apply for 20 jobs a day to get anywhere. I was looking for work a few months back after a contract ended and got a fair bit of radio silence whenever I applied for jobs where the application process used one of those time-wasting online forms run by Talent2, Taleo, Revelian, Brassring etc. Then I tried putting job ads through a wordcloud generator and shoehorned the biggest words from the wordcloud into my resume and the online forms and suddenly most places called me back and I got offered 3 jobs in one week. If you can get past the automated filter that prevents 90% of resumes from ever being seen by human eyes, then you're suddenly only competing against 15-20 people instead of probably hundreds.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Automation and communism, an idea.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Yeah, they'll do that. Also, you pretty much need to apply for 20 jobs a day to get anywhere. I was looking for work a few months back after a contract ended and got a fair bit of radio silence whenever I applied for jobs where the application process used one of those time-wasting online forms run by Talent2, Taleo, Revelian, Brassring etc. Then I tried putting job ads through a wordcloud generator and shoehorned the biggest words from the wordcloud into my resume and the online forms and suddenly most places called me back and I got offered 3 jobs in one week. If you can get past the automated filter that prevents 90% of resumes from ever being seen by human eyes, then you're suddenly only competing against 15-20 people instead of probably hundreds.

Its this. One job slot will get 500-1000 applicants. Software will cull it down to about 50. That 50 or so will be invited to interview. Winners picked from the shortlist.

The numbers go up and down depending on whether its a position that needs qualifications or licenses.

This is my expereince from working at three 500 worker operations, seven 1000ish worker operations and a few mum and dad operations.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BCR posted:

Its this. One job slot will get 500-1000 applicants. Software will cull it down to about 50. That 50 or so will be invited to interview. Winners picked from the shortlist.

The numbers go up and down depending on whether its a position that needs qualifications or licenses.

This is my expereince from working at three 500 worker operations, seven 1000ish worker operations and a few mum and dad operations.

in the divine dance of self emptying love, in the circumambulation of the kenotic abandon of the romance of love that is god, in the perichoresis of adoration and sacrifice of the ineffable via (with latin emphasis) the negativa of immanent glory, in the spiration of the epiclete, gently caress u bcr

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Mate :allears:

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Auspol February - I wanna gently caress your dog, I don't even care anymore

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://m.smh.com.au/national/education/nsw-universities-taking-students-with-atars-as-low-as-30-20160125-gmdvr6.html on phone can someone cp

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Having issues with this, can you walk me through what you did, maybe in a PM or something please.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Then I tried putting job ads through a wordcloud generator and shoehorned the biggest words from the wordcloud into my resume and the online forms and suddenly most places called me back and I got offered 3 jobs in one week. If you can get past the automated filter that prevents 90% of resumes from ever being seen by human eyes, then you're suddenly only competing against 15-20 people instead of probably hundreds.

So they resumes and cover letters are scanned electronically for certain phrases and denied if they don't have matches?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Does putting all the keywords in as invisible text help with this? That way you can still have something human friendly, while passing the automated filters.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Tony Abbott's speaking engagements deserve our scrutiny, and our concern

Tony Abbott spent Australia Day travelling to the United States for a speaking engagement. The occasion is private, but it should be a matter of public concern. Especially in the wake of his decision to remain in politics, the event should raise some questions about the increasingly international ambitions of the Christian right, and its connections with the right wing of the Liberal party.

The organisation Abbott is speaking to – the Alliance Defending Freedom – is a pillar of the US Christian right. It’s the legal arm of Christian right behemoth Focus on the Family, has a budget of $40m, and is currently focused on waging a broad legal battle in the wake of some key supreme court rulings.

These include their victory in the Hobby Lobby ruling, which recognised corporations as having religious rights, and their defeat in Obergefell v. Hodges, which granted same sex couples the right to marry in all US states.

The Alliance Defending Freedom employs 50 lawyers and is networked with thousands more who cooperate on state and federal litigation intended to stonewall the expansion of civil rights for those whom evangelical protestants consider to be living against God’s law.

One strategy they advise on is what Fred Clarkson, senior fellow at Political Research Associates calls “religification”. Groups like ADF have issued handbooks that instruct organisations such as churches, schools, universities and hospitals, how to redefine all of their jobs and functions as essentially religious in nature, so that they can be wholly exempted from discrimination provisions in the Civil Rights Act under the “ministerial exception”.

When successful, this allows them and their employees to discriminate against job applicants, and even clients, who are LGBT, or with whom they simply have a religious disagreement.

In the face of rapid and seemingly unstoppable social change around issues of sexuality, this essentially defensive strategy allows Christian organisations to retain bastions of control where their identities and practices can be protected.

Assisting fellow conservatives to resist the advance of gay rights is the ADF’s top priority, and Abbott is visiting them at the same time that the Liberal party is conducting a civil war over same sex marriage.

In the Australian context, prominent conservatives like Eric Abetz are running a similar, defensive, delaying political strategy in the face of broad community support for marriage equality .

Abbott himself, when prime minister, similarly stonewalled on this issue.

Speaking to me by phone, Clarkson conceded that the closed-door nature of the meeting – which has not been advertised on ADF’s site – made it difficult to know what was happening. But it may not just be an after-dinner speech.

“There could actually be some strategic thinking going on. What kinds of contacts does the ADF have in Australia, and how can Abbott tap into them?”

In any case, it’s a networking opportunity, where an increasingly internationally-focused US Christian right and a leader of Australian social conservatives can exchange views, and perhaps resources.

Apart from employing lawyers, the ADF also trains them. Its Blackstone Legal Fellowships ground lawyers in political and legal doctrine that goes far beyond what Australians would view as mainstream conservatism.

In the past, the Fellowship’s curriculum has included the work of so-called Christian Reconstructionists. This movement holds that society should be governed according to Old Testament law, and its founder, Rousas Rushdoony, referred to democracy as a “heresy”. Overtly theocratic, Reconstructionism has also been referred to as “a new form of clerical fascist politics” by Chip Berlet and Matthew Lyons, who wrote Right-Wing Populism in America: Too Close for Comfort.

Reconstructionism, and other elements of the conservative evangelical protestantism – which is the main driver of ADF’s world view – are theologically very different to Abbott’s conservative Catholicism. But in recent years, shared political commitments – including an opposition to abortion and marriage equality – have seen evangelicals and rightwing Catholics in the US making common cause.

“One of the trends within the United States and these organisations is a commingling – the development of a profound religious and political relationship between conservative Catholics and conservative evangelicals,” says Clark.

Despite a history of sectarian conflict not dissimilar to Australia’s, not to mention over half a millennium of doctrinal divergence, Catholics and evangelicals have been cooperating in the US to forestall further developments in the civil rights agenda.

For example, another “religious liberty” law firm, the Becket Fund, dominated by conservative Roman Catholics, successfully litigated the Hobby Lobby case, and has also represented clients at the European court of human rights.

A big moment in the US was 2009’s so-called Manhattan Declaration, initially signed by 150 religious leaders, with the number of signatories growing over time.

The declaration made comparisons between pro-choice arguments and Nazi theories of eugenics, and raised the possibility of civil disobedience from Christians in the face of developments in abortion and LGBT rights.

To date, more than 50 American Catholic archbishops and bishops have added their names to a list of religious leaders which includes prominent rightwing activists and evangelical pastors.

As Clark puts it, this recent political cooperation on the faith-based right “is one of the most extraordinary developments in the modern history of Christianity”.

And it is of international import. Increasingly, important decisions about civil rights are made in international courts. Civil rights victories or defeats in one nation can influence popular opinion and even legal deliberation in another.

Some journalists have seemed to suggest that there’s no reason to object to Abbott’s visit – that’s it’s just a matter of free speech.

But the building of alliances among religious conservatives is always worth attention and scrutiny, especially when it involves prominent Australian members of parliament who may still have an influence on policy.

gently caress off Uhlmann you worthless loving hack.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

Does putting all the keywords in as invisible text help with this? That way you can still have something human friendly, while passing the automated filters.

My mate who works in HR just told me this is stupid and not to do it. Often the software they scan highlights the words they are searching for, which still shows up white text, at which point you get immediately binned.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

can't believe this is a real picture of the man named rousas rushdoony

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god I didnt know what you were all on about til I looked at the news. Chris Kenny has competition.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

My mate who works in HR just told me this is stupid and not to do it. Often the software they scan highlights the words they are searching for, which still shows up white text, at which point you get immediately binned.

In my day, they just did things like "Use a black pen to complete this form" and throw out any which had a different colour.

Can't follow simple instructions :rolleyes:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Your tax dollars at work :lol:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 28, 2016

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Zenithe posted:

It's time for Uncle Blitzkrieg's Storytime

Last time I was seriously unemployed (like, not between-contract unemployed but out and out up poo poo's creek, no prospects unemployed) I paid somebody in the Philippines to apply for jobs for me. I checked out her written and spoken English over Skype, I paid her double Filipino min. wage for four hours a day (which works out to be about 8$ per diem), she sent me a spreadsheet of what I was in the draw for, and I got to look like a rich guy whom people should hire, because all my potential employer correspondence went thought my Personal Assistant.

Within 2 weeks, I had a job, - but best of all, I had a story about the time I outsourced my unemployment.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Dont forget the job listings posted by recruiters that either A) capture data of people looking for work or B) positions that dont actually exist to harvest references and/or offer you less good, shittier positions.

I basically only apply for roles advertised with the employer directly, or where the role is advertised by a recruiter that actually has detailed information about the company they represent in the ad.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Laserface posted:

Dont forget the job listings posted by recruiters that either A) capture data of people looking for work or B) positions that dont actually exist to harvest references and/or offer you less good, shittier positions.

I basically only apply for roles advertised with the employer directly, or where the role is advertised by a recruiter that actually has detailed information about the company they represent in the ad.

Often you can work around the recruiter, because they unwittingly reveal things about the job which help you track down which company it's with. Recruiters are extremely stupid people, their job was basically invented, as David Graeber would say, to keep them working and suffering for their money.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

quote:

NSW universities taking students with ATARs as low as 30
Date
January 27, 2016 - 5:54PM
207 reading nowComments 149Read later
Eryk Bagshaw and Inga Ting

inShare
1submit to redditEmail articlePrintReprints & permissions
EXCLUSIVE

Play
0:02
/
1:21
Fullscreen
Mute
Universities ignore ATAR scores
Up to 99% of applicants for some NSW university degrees have been admitted despite failing to meet the minimum ATAR score advertised for the course. Eryk Bagshaw reports.
Interactive: See the courses with the biggest gap between average ATAR and cutoff
NSW universities are admitting students with ATARs as low as 30 into some of the state's top tertiary degrees, a Fairfax Media investigation into confidential university data has revealed.

Students with marks up to 40 points below the advertised course cut-off are being accepted in fields such as business, teaching and engineering, according to the 2016 admissions figures from the University of Sydney, UNSW, Macquarie University and Western Sydney University.

The University of Sydney
The University of Sydney Photo: Victoria Baldwin
An ATAR [Australia Tertiary Admissions Rank] is awarded to more than 50,000 NSW high school students in December each year. Universities set an ATAR cut-off according to what they believe is the minimum academic standard required to complete a course, as well as supply and demand for the degree.

The admissions data, seen for the first time by Fairfax Media, comes four years after the cap on student numbers was lifted by the federal government in 2012 allowing universities to recruit as many students as they can fit. The majority of degrees are funded by the federal government through student loans paid to the universities. The loan, often worth more than $20,000, is later repaid by students when they earn over $54,000.

The University of NSW aims to be a top 50 university within 10 years.
The University of NSW aims to be a top 50 university within 10 years. Photo: Louise Kennerley
The figures show top Sydney universities are offering places to thousands of school leavers with marks significantly below the minimum entry standard. Up to two thirds of students offered places at Macquarie University had ATARs below the advertised cut-off – the highest share of the four universities. The University of Sydney had the lowest share, with 27 per cent of students scoring below the required mark.

NSW Education Minister Adrian Piccoli said that universities were putting their reputations at risk, and that there was no excuse for admitting such large numbers of sub-standard students.

"I'm annoyed that universities are taking students with such low marks out of self respect for their own university," he said.

"For universities that are concerned about their rankings internationally to be taking in students with such low ATARs is not a good look. I know they have funding pressures, but that is no excuse."

The universities maintain that including students who did not get the required ATAR ensures disadvantaged students do not miss out on an opportunity for an education.

One student whose applicant report has been obtained by Fairfax Media scored an ATAR in the 30s and was admitted to a combined Bachelor of Secondary Education and Arts at Macquarie University with a cut-off of 75. She had received up to 10 bonus points for being from a disadvantaged school in Sydney's west.

In one of the nation's most prestigious degrees, the Bachelor of Combined Law at UNSW, 91 per cent of offers were made to students who did not meet the ATAR cut-off of 99.7, including to two applicants who had scored only 67. More than 40 per cent of offers made to students to study a Bachelor of Combined Law at the University of Sydney were also below the cut-off of 99.5.

At Western Sydney University, 99 per cent of the 251 students offered places in its Bachelor of Construction Management program did not make the cut-off of 85. WSU undertook an extensive recruiting drive this year, offering a record 12,000 places – the most of any NSW tertiary institution.

Individual university applicant reports show that students with ATARs as low as 46 have been offered a place in the Medical Science degree at Western Sydney University from next year, while Macquarie has invited students with ATARs in the 30s and who failed to score above a Band 3 in HSC economics to take up Commerce degrees.

The practice of offering discounted ATAR entry remains prevalent among teaching degrees, despite a recent NSW government stipulation that all incoming teaching students must score three band 5s in their HSC subjects. The restriction does not apply to students undertaking double degrees.

At UNSW one in three students across all seven of its combined teaching degrees failed to make the minimum standard. More than 86 per cent of students admitted to Western Sydney University's combined Bachelor of Arts and Master of Primary Teaching degree did not make the advertised cut-off of 70.

Mr Piccoli said universities were using teaching students as cash cows to accumulate Commonwealth government funding through HECS debts.

He said the federal government should set minimum entry requirements or cap the number of funded places.

Federal Education Minister Simon Birmingham said there were no current plans to reinstate caps for universities.

"Universities must take responsibility for those students they choose to enrol and ensure they have the capabilities and support to succeed," he said

All four universities declined to comment on individual student applications.

A UNSW spokeswoman said students were validly admitted through "alternative entry schemes," and cited the ATAR as a far from perfect measure of academic potential, despite the university enthusiastically advertising their ATAR cut-offs last week.

A spokeswoman for the University of Sydney said that some of its students who were significantly below ATAR cut-offs were admitted through its Indigenous opportunity program, while WSU and Macquarie said that the admissions take into account a variety of circumstances that may have disadvantaged students during their studies.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/nsw-universities-taking-students-with-atars-as-low-as-30-20160125-gmdvr6.html#ixzz3yRZ83YS1
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Basically Australia doesn't produce enough smart people to take the amount of positions we have for courses, so we just let the dummies into them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Often you can work around the recruiter, because they unwittingly reveal things about the job which help you track down which company it's with. Recruiters are extremely stupid people, their job was basically invented, as David Graeber would say, to keep them working and suffering for their money.

Well, yeah, that too. my latest recruiter experience was a phone call received asking me if I was still looking for work. 1 year later. in a different state to the one I live in. and when i said no he asked me if I knew any body that lived there that would.

I asked if I would get his commission if the position was filled and he couldnt figure out why I would ask that for some reason.

Its basically a job that exists so british backpackers have a way to earn money while on holiday.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Basically Australia doesn't produce enough smart people to take the amount of positions we have for courses, so we just let the dummies into them.
Alternative conclusion: universities are so desperate for money they'll admit people who have little chance of completing a course of study.

Zenithe posted:

So they cull by dumb keyword filters, but punish people who try not to get culled by dumb filters. Another chapter to add to Cartoon's Australian_Management_Is_Inefficient.txt

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 27, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

So they cull by dumb keyword filters, but punish people who try not to get culled by dumb filters. Another chapter to add to Cartoon's Australian_Management_Is_Inefficient.txt

I can ask him again, but from what he described it sounds like there is an automatic process which filters the applications, the successful ones get sent through to people who use a program that highlights important information. He said the best way is to incorporate the "skills required" words into your CV or cover letter if you can as this is usually what they look for.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Universities were made into businesses and in order to stay afloat they have to stuff as many bums in seats as possible since they get paid on a per student basis.

It's an inevitable outcome of the policies of the Howard years that they're admitting any idiot now.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Zenithe posted:

I can ask him again, but from what he described it sounds like there is an automatic process which filters the applications, the successful ones get sent through to people who use a program that highlights important information. He said the best way is to incorporate the "skills required" words into your CV or cover letter if you can as this is usually what they look for.

Having been the main contact for advertised positions and dealing with the torrent of crap that brings, I sympathise with recruiters to a certain extent, but that industry just gives me the shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Then I tried putting job ads through a wordcloud generator and shoehorned the biggest words from the wordcloud into my resume and the online forms and suddenly most places called me back and I got offered 3 jobs in one week. If you can get past the automated filter that prevents 90% of resumes from ever being seen by human eyes, then you're suddenly only competing against 15-20 people instead of probably hundreds.

Can you share the wordcloud?

• Locked thread