Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Blackchamber posted:

Anyone looking for those World of Nintendo Metroids? They had 2 of em at the Toysrus today.

Yes, please please please pick one up if you go by again. I've been looking for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Blackchamber posted:

Anyone looking for those World of Nintendo Metroids? They had 2 of em at the Toysrus today.

Absolutely, I'll gladly buy one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress :(

Goddamn I really want one.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

The plot twist to all of this is that Blackchamber is actually a kid from 1986 displaced in time, and is talking about the WoN Samus figures.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey question, my Hulkbuster BAF lower torso peg is totally immobile. The Iron Monger BAF I purchased had the same issue and broke when I tried to twist it. What can I do to loosen the post up?

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Hey question, my Hulkbuster BAF lower torso peg is totally immobile. The Iron Monger BAF I purchased had the same issue and broke when I tried to twist it. What can I do to loosen the post up?

Same thing was happening on mine. Heat it up a bit with a hair blower then put a drop of dish soap into the joint and slowly start working it in circles.

You might have to do it a few times but it will eventually loosen up to work normally.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TouchToneDialing posted:

Same thing was happening on mine. Heat it up a bit with a hair blower then put a drop of dish soap into the joint and slowly start working it in circles.

You might have to do it a few times but it will eventually loosen up to work normally.

This worked! Thanks!

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

So, let's talk about SYAR WALS now.

He's here. It's... Well, it's alright for intentionally buying a Chinese Bootleg.

I've got to admit, the paint apps and the sculpt are both at least pretty decent. The soft goods are soft goods, and there are some sloppy spots (I'm looking at you shoulder rope) on the body, but it's pretty good on the whole. The weapons are more underwhelming, but it's not like legit black series ones are any better.

The face and body armor are drat fine looking, though.

Where the real let down comes in for this is the legs and really the entire concept of posability. I think this picture should really say it all:

The legs don't swivel to the front or back at all. They have a limited amount of left to right motion, but that base attached to the crotch/rear end area don't move forward for a crouching pose, nor do they move backward. Here, you can probably see the movement track under the pouch.

So basically, if you like leaving him in the "I'm intimidating" pose from.... Well, almost every scene he's in, this is a pretty decent substitute for the real thing. If you want to buy this for 20 bucks and set it up for the craziest desert skiff scene with a possible stand and jet pack action, you might want to temper your expectations a little.

Finally, if you find yourself thinking "I'm just gonna pay 80 bucks for the real Black Series one, what a letdown" please don't. Go preorder the Mafex RotJ Boba Fett from amiami for 50 bucks instead. http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-016410&rank=

Edit: one last picture, the closest I can get to a comparison. Real Black Series Jango Fett vs the bootleg

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 26, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm so happy I found one of those bastards at a Barnes and Nobel.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

If you follow this thread you should know to pick those up without asking.

Yeah, but I hesitate to do that now. I've found toys locally people were hunting for, bought them, and those people have disappeared. I held onto a spare 89 Batman and ironically someone posted about missing out and still wanting it and when I mentioned having one available... crickets.

Consistently however Louisgod has bought off anything I picked up that he's wanted, and I think this is like the 3rd time I've found a world of Nintendo thing he wanted so I'm coupling that together as fate and I'm giving him the first right of refusal on this.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 26, 2016

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Found a Black Series Phasma and FN-2187 today. Walmart had the whole wave with FN, Han, Flame Trooper, Jango. I might grab Han and the Flame Trooper some other time.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Blackchamber posted:

Consistently however Louisgod has bought off anything I picked up that he's wanted, and I think this is like the 3rd time I've found a world of Nintendo thing he wanted so I'm coupling that together as fate and I'm giving him the first right of refusal on this.

I appreciate it, and am always happy to return the favor or pick up figures for anybody really. Karma and all that.

Shame about Batman 89. I adore that figure and if nobody has him then now's the time before he hits $100 in two years.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Bummer about the legs. That aside, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that Fett and the real deal. He'll blend in perfectly on your shelf.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Picked up The Flash today at TRU. There's apparently a new DC series where they have a mixture of comic and movie and tv people. There's BvS Bats, Comic Joker, TV Flash, Arrow, Reverse Flash and Comic Black Superman (Earth 2 maybe?).

Collect em all and you can build some giant loving robot thing called a JUSTICE BUSTER which, honestly, looks dumb as hell.

I grabbed Flash, but they had Bats, Joker and Arrow there as well. I'd have grabbed a Reverse Flash but no luck :(

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Picked up The Flash today at TRU. There's apparently a new DC series where they have a mixture of comic and movie and tv people. There's BvS Bats, Comic Joker, TV Flash, Arrow, Reverse Flash and Comic Black Superman (Earth 2 maybe?).

Collect em all and you can build some giant loving robot thing called a JUSTICE BUSTER which, honestly, looks dumb as hell.

I grabbed Flash, but they had Bats, Joker and Arrow there as well. I'd have grabbed a Reverse Flash but no luck :(

I saw those. I have the DC Direct (i think) tv Flash, same mold and everything. I believe it was 20 bucks, but it looks better than the one I saw at Target. How's yours look?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Hmmmmm... HMMMMMMM...

http://nerdist.com/star-wars-black-series-toys-repainted-to-startling-life/

Those things clean up real nice. Art project? Maybe...

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah, but I hesitate to do that now. I've found toys locally people were hunting for, bought them, and those people have disappeared. I held onto a spare 89 Batman and ironically someone posted about missing out and still wanting it and when I mentioned having one available... crickets.

Yo, if you still have an 89 Batman I will buy that off you. I vaguely expressed an interest in the thread a while back but never explicitly asked somebody to pick one up. Ditto with the Reeve Superman. i never did buy either of those, but I would.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

I saw those. I have the DC Direct (i think) tv Flash, same mold and everything. I believe it was 20 bucks, but it looks better than the one I saw at Target. How's yours look?

Pretty good. I'd say it's probably the same mold. The only big difference I can see from the pics online to the one I have is that the emblem is white on the new one, and red on the old one.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

Found a Black Series Phasma and FN-2187 today. Walmart had the whole wave with FN, Han, Flame Trooper, Jango. I might grab Han and the Flame Trooper some other time.

That wave is hitting all over the country this week, it seems. My 2 Wal-Marts are a barren wasteland. I'm tempted to stop in every day to make sure I don't miss them, but Black Series hunting is tiring - 2 Targets, 2 Meijer, and 2 Wal-Marts within 15 minutes of each other.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My Wal-Mart has like 6 or 7 Flame Troopers. Nothing else new.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Yo, if you still have an 89 Batman I will buy that off you. I vaguely expressed an interest in the thread a while back but never explicitly asked somebody to pick one up. Ditto with the Reeve Superman. i never did buy either of those, but I would.

The 89 Batman came out around Christmas at the end of 2014, much the same way that the Reeve Superman came out Christmas time 2015 so its not like I went out recently to hunt it down so no worries. I'll message you around Thursday when I get home.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Vegastar posted:

So, let's talk about SYAR WALS now.

He's here. It's... Well, it's alright for intentionally buying a Chinese Bootleg.

(and many more great pics)

I'd like to ask a question, and it's not meant to be a stupid question (or an insulting question). Tone on the internet is hard and I want to make that clear before I ask this...but...is it even remotely possible that the legs can move back and forth, but that the joints are crazy stiff? I've seen multiple reviews that say these KOs have the same articulation, but that they had to heat/freeze them to get some joints unstuck. I'm just plain surprised that they'd keep the waist ball joint and double-jointed knees/elbows but somehow crap out on basic leg movement that SW figures have had since the 70s. Weird weird choice if so.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'd like to ask a question, and it's not meant to be a stupid question (or an insulting question). Tone on the internet is hard and I want to make that clear before I ask this...but...is it even remotely possible that the legs can move back and forth, but that the joints are crazy stiff? I've seen multiple reviews that say these KOs have the same articulation, but that they had to heat/freeze them to get some joints unstuck. I'm just plain surprised that they'd keep the waist ball joint and double-jointed knees/elbows but somehow crap out on basic leg movement that SW figures have had since the 70s. Weird weird choice if so.

It might be super balls hard to move. I'll gently caress around with it more tonight. It was just hard to even try to force movement out of it because of the legs disconnecting mid thigh the way they do.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Vegastar posted:

It might be super balls hard to move. I'll gently caress around with it more tonight. It was just hard to even try to force movement out of it because of the legs disconnecting mid thigh the way they do.

Yeah and I'm not asking you to break it for the sake of my curiosity or anything. I'll have my own to ruin in a week or so. It just seemed like such a weird joint to omit, but then again they removed that neck hinge from Maul so who knows.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Is it just me or does it look more like a scaled up 3.75 inch figure than a copy of the 6 inch Black series Boba Fett?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
That god drat Metroid. I'm definitely down for one if someone happens across one at a store. Doesn't it retail for like $10-15? Can't believe it's STILL commanding upwards of $50+

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah and I'm not asking you to break it for the sake of my curiosity or anything. I'll have my own to ruin in a week or so. It just seemed like such a weird joint to omit, but then again they removed that neck hinge from Maul so who knows.

Nope, turns out you were right. They were just stiff as gently caress. The way the rear end mold is made, they still have very little movement backward, but a crouching position is far more possible than I had initially expected. They've got a good 30-40 degrees worth of forward movement and maybe 10 degrees backward as well.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

I honestly thought I was going to get confirmation that I was wrong. So they do have some front to back movement, but the KOers still added that new movement track to the top of the leg?!? :psyduck: Just from a cost/benefit perspective why not use the existing tooling?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I honestly thought I was going to get confirmation that I was wrong. So they do have some front to back movement, but the KOers still added that new movement track to the top of the leg?!? :psyduck: Just from a cost/benefit perspective why not use the existing tooling?

In this day of KOs they rarely steal molds, they steal the CAD files.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I think I understand how it works. It's related to the weird, kind of oval-shape of the leg itself. The base rotates around on a ball-joint in a circle, and can still only move along that track. It looks like my attempt to force it ended up rotating it around that ball joint so it looked like it was acting as expected. Hang on a second and I'll try to edit some pictures in to maybe make it more clear what I mean.

See if this helps:

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 27, 2016

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
So, this is what happened to my Taskmaster figure. I was trying to replace the default head with the second head and the entire neck joint popped out. The pegs on either side of the joint stayed intact somehow, and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the body aspect of the neck going either.

How would I start to go about putting the joint back in place? I'm a complete novice at working with figures. Is it something I would even be able to do, or should I return it and hope there's a replacement?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

You can retrieve the neck joint from the head by warming it up a little. You could run it under hot water or preheat the oven to like 150 and pop it in there for 5 minutes. The plastic will be soft enough to pop that thing back out, and then you can see about carefully reattaching it to the neck, if it really is undamaged.

If you don't want this to be a problem in the future, you could gently carve away some plastic from inside the head with an xacto knife so the joint is looser.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Thanks for the advice! A question: How do I get the neck joint back into the body? Will that heat up okay in the oven as well?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Hard to say without having the figure in hand, but a lot of the time the plastic they use for the torso is less heat tolerant and might warp before it does what you want. You might try the warming up trick with just the little neck bit once it's out of there. I was thinking if it popped out of torso without getting damaged it might just as readily pop back in, but be careful.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress,
Finally scored a Black Series First Order stormtrooper. They also had a single Kylo and Rey. ....and like 5 Finns.

Poor guy. I imagine his Stormtrooper figure tho will fly.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I found the Walgreen Darth Vader. I missed out on the first release for Vader, so I am happy to have him. The head isn't bad, I probably paint it black later on, but it for the most part a good figure. That said, I am surprise how much detail they put into the skull inside the helmet from the picture took.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/692181518236676098

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They should rerelease all the Black Series figures with clear skull heads.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Walgreens right down the street from me has 11 of those Vaders left as of last night.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh wow, these are ace:

Needs a Kage though.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I made a custom Beast action figure!

If you want to see a bunch more pictures or some making of stuff check out my this gallery
http://imgur.com/gallery/Hup65/new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

TouchToneDialing posted:

I made a custom Beast action figure!

If you want to see a bunch more pictures or some making of stuff check out my this gallery
http://imgur.com/gallery/Hup65/new

Wow! This looks incredibly awesome!