Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Knyteguy posted:

UC Davis yeah. My mistake. It would probably be worth it to go there if we opt for surgery, as it's only 2.5 hours by car.

Alright yeah she's 95 lbs right now, so the vet didn't think a lateral suture would be worth it. Hopefully we can bring that weight down some.

Yeah she's not even 4. I have no idea how she tore her ligaments, as she's generally pretty lazy.

Being overweight is a significant contributor to CCL tears. It's great that you found a medical reason, although hypothyroidism in a 3-year-old dog is extremely unusual bordering on almost unbelievable.

One of my friends is an orthopedic surgeon at UC Davis and he is wonderful. You'll be in good hands there if you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

When you say you're going to moonlight to earn $6K for your dog's surgery, are you talking about your freelancing plans or something else?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Gas prices are low and you've got a fuel efficient car. I'd wager you will raise the money faster delivering pizzas.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Would it be criminally negligent to mention Uber in this thread?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Would it be criminally negligent to mention Uber in this thread?

Yes.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I haven't tried it myself but I'm pretty sure that working for Uber is bad with money.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

n8r posted:

Gas prices are low and you've got a fuel efficient car. I'd wager you will raise the money faster delivering pizzas.

How is a V8 'mero fuel efficient? Doesn't janus owl need the corolla for baby things?

Maybe race for pinks at the local drag strip?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

If not then I'll have to moonlight to pay for it.
Dude, always leave yourself an out. Now you're going to catch a rash of poo poo if/when you don't do this.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Been a little crazy guys; I'll hit some posts I wanted to get to later.

Wanted to post this:

Just talked to my boss about the raise/bonus. It's not a bonus, it will be a raise. He's talking to the relevant people next week, and he said May (my hire date) at the latest.

However as a "make up" he said "what can I do to make this job more flexible and desirable for you in the meantime?" So we ended up working out flex scheduling (6:00am-9:00am - 3:00pm to 6:00pm), and I can now work remotely 3 days a week when he's out of town on my own schedule. He also said to come to him if I come up with any ideas to make everything more flexible. Not huge since I work so close to work, but it will be nice.

Wanted to tie that into the previous conversation.

We have all our W2s/1099s/whatever. I'll do taxes tonight or tomorrow, post what the return is (if any), post what we'll do with it, and then post the budget for January and February.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

That's mostly good news, except for backpedaling on the bonus. Don't let that halt the job search though. Especially since it's not a bonus, you're not leaving any money on the table.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Plan as if you are not getting a raise because it's going to take ages to get here and be underwhelming when it finally does. Though working from home 3 days a week is pretty cool.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Though working from home 3 days a week is pretty cool.
When the boss is out of town.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Well if it's not every week, then that's less cool.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Flex time is super super nice to have (sounds similar to what I have in my position) but didn't make up for cold hard cash at the end of the day.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

IF the raise happens that's probably better for you than a bonus. A bonus you would just blow all at once on a ton of Star Wars memorabilia or oatmeal or something. At least a raise is continuous

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Man, I hope that once May comes around he doesn't pull that 'well, in this economy...' bullshit that every boss likes to do when they want to hang onto money. He seems to be a pro at stringing you along, so I'm sure I just read your future.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Seriously -- May? It is January.

DogsCantBudget
Jul 8, 2013

detectivemonkey posted:

Seriously -- May? It is January.

Yea, you've been there two years, what happens in May, when he gives you a 1000$ raise? And you realize that you should have been interviewing and taken a 10k pay bump instead that entire time. gently caress this noise. Find a new role.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

DogsCantBudget posted:

Yea, you've been there two years, what happens in May, when he gives you a 1000$ raise? And you realize that you should have been interviewing and taken a 10k pay bump instead that entire time. gently caress this noise. Find a new role.
Maybe my phone reading failed, but I didn't see KG say he's stopping looking for another job.

I totally could see the raise being lovely low, also.

Keep looking for a new job!

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
If nothing else, flex time will make it much easier to schedule an appointment with a therapist.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Braki posted:

Being overweight is a significant contributor to CCL tears. It's great that you found a medical reason, although hypothyroidism in a 3-year-old dog is extremely unusual bordering on almost unbelievable.

One of my friends is an orthopedic surgeon at UC Davis and he is wonderful. You'll be in good hands there if you go.

Huh. I wonder if she just had a really strong genetic predisposition for it (well the vet said it might be genetic). She's like another dog now with the meds though. Before she would lay down all day, and I thought it was her knees. Now she's still moving around gimpily, but actually coming for attention and hanging out with us.

We've always fed her good real meat first ingredient type food, so I wouldn't think it would be that.

Good to hear on the surgery @ UC Davis. I'm hoping her mobility improves quite a bit with her hopefully forthcoming weight loss.

Baja Mofufu posted:

When you say you're going to moonlight to earn $6K for your dog's surgery, are you talking about your freelancing plans or something else?

Freelancing, yes. My boss transitioned from full time employment to a freelancer and he was making like a quarter of a million a year. I've learned much of what he knew at the time and I've even led and solely developed $15,000-$25,000 billable projects @ $150/hr, so I'd think I can do something with it with some good planning.

Plan as if you are not getting a raise because it's going to take ages to get here and be underwhelming when it finally does. Though working from home 3 days a week is pretty cool.

Yeah I expect it to be a little overwhelming. The working from home thing is great. I would have had something like 11 days remotely this month if I had had that privilege. So I'll get my standard 1 day a week, plus a total of 3 days a week when he's out of town. He's consistently gone up from my initial 0 remote days a week, so I may be able to swing more remote days later too.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

If nothing else, flex time will make it much easier to schedule an appointment with a therapist.

Yeah good point.

Budget/Finance specific: My wife is starting to formulate a career plan, so I'll post more on that later when she's ready. We've really gotten into the whole planning thing. I'm trying to find a premade meal plan right now (for free or very cheap), and we cancelled our Audible subscription. I figure the biggest thing between before and now, is we didn't have a plan when we were cutting. We planned the goal, but not how to achieve it. I'm trying to finish fleshing that out today.

I did do taxes yesterday as I said I would. I haven't submitted it yet. Our return is like $538 or something. I'm tempted to service a CPA out, because I have a feeling we should qualify for more. We pay my sister under the table $540/mo for day care, so a CPA could potentially help us get the ~$1,000 credit there for example. And I feel like I could deduct more from the business, but Turbo Tax isn't helping us much with that (I got the $29.99 version). Plus I'm not perfect with my business income and costs, and I fear an audit. I'll think about this some more before we submit the return (open to input as well).

Jan Budget:

Same old same old I'd say.

Auto maintenance - I have $60 in tools I'll be returning. I bought them in case I needed them for the door latch replacement, but I didn't. I also pulled $120 in case parts were over the top, but I've been using cash and didn't adjust the correct categories. This was closer to about $45. I have around $50 in cash left that I'll re-deposit.
Groceries - I included cigarettes in here due to a lack of a category. I'll be adding a category for February. I'd like to quit this month. I'm tired of it. I also included baby diapers in there a few times with a miscommunication with my wife. I've asked her to start adding split categories in manually so that won't happen moving forward.
Dining out - Failed hard here. Not much to say except we need to stay the gently caress away from restaurants. Even if we try to eat cheap it ends up adding up.
Vet bills - got caught by surprise. I used to have a vet fund in the old YNAB, but I forgot to bring it over. I won't make that mistake again.

Subscriptions - we'll be cutting this moving forward somehow. Dropbox/Netflix/Seedbox/Audible (cut)/YNAB ($45yr)/Prime ($99yr but I sell excess spots). Anyway there's ways to cut there. We don't use Prime streaming, so maybe I'll buy Prime from someone else this year.

Feb Budget (Work in Progress):

Our biggest room for improvement is by far food. DCB does well on groceries but poorly on restaurants (but not much more/no more poorly than us frankly), so I'd like to do that too. I am looking up meal plans (no ice cream and brie morning breakfast this time). I have $129.48 I'm trying to figure out what to do with. I'm thinking of at least part of it as investment money to save us money on something else.

You'll notice we added gift cards this time. Scheels is the only one I'm not sure what to do with (I get them for using the credit card).

Look at that nice fat debt pay down! No more $100 monthly grandma payback is already helping us.

I was just told that my grandma wants to make it her number one priority to get us into a house of our own, and to "save money." Part of this new cuts motivation has to do with that.

So these are the goals for the month, and now my wife and I will formulate a plan to meet them.

Post is getting too long, so I'll end it there.

Edit: oh and we're going to start shopping for clothes at thrift stores now. My wife also said Ross since she can get stuff there super cheap apparently.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 31, 2016

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You spent nearly $1k on food/eating out. That's pretty crazy.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Freelancing, yes. My boss transitioned from full time employment to a freelancer and he was making like a quarter of a million a year. I've learned much of what he knew at the time and I've even led and solely developed $15,000-$25,000 billable projects @ $150/hr, so I'd think I can do something with it with some good planning.

Flaw in the plan spotted.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

You spent nearly $1k on food/eating out. That's pretty crazy.

Well figure $80 on cigarettes, $30 on energy drinks, probably $60 in diapers that I miscategorized, and some $30-40 baby food in there that I miscategorized, and it's not as bad. But still unacceptable. Our focus here needs to be on food. If we can cut food $400-500 a month (say from $800), then that's like a $4800-$6000 net raise.

That's our car debt down to $13,000, or my student loans nearly gone (saving us $550/yr in interest). Huge and we're taking steps to do so (with a plan this time). Debt free our money we can do whatever with goes up to $1,800 on a month like this. That's more than a fully funded IRA, nice furniture, etc etc. When I figure out the rest of the $129 for February then I'm writing a check for a debt payment of $1200.83 to be mailed today towards the car.

Fixes on first paragraph:
I ran out of caffeine pills so I've started on energy drinks again. Easy cut - I'll buy more caffeine pills now.
I'm over 30 days sober, so no more alcohol - Easy cut.
Cigarettes - You know what screw it I'm out right now. I'm going to buy some stuff for my vaporizer, and that will last me a full month. No cigarettes in February. Easy cut.

Edit 2:
Debt Free Date (I said I would calculate this):
+$1300/mo towards principal with food and vice cuts, plus normal monthly amount allowed towards debt

Towards the car:
$1300 + $325.72 (principal from monthly payment)
12 months (wow)

Unsubsidized student loan
$1810 ($1300 +510 from car)
2 months

Subsidized student loan
~$1850 ($1300 +510 from car +~40 from loan above)
2.2 months

Debt free date:
June 2017

Let's say August because there will be some months where there will be expenses I'm missing.

August 2017 for debt free date assuming no income increases, ignoring tax refunds, ignoring potential moonlighting and business gains, and something like a $2,700 buffer for expenses we aren't prepared for.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 31, 2016

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think a vaporizer is a terrible solution. You should see out a real stop smoking/nicotine solution. Consider seeing your doctor for a chantix prescription. Vaping has unknown health consequences and still has long term expenses. Your goal should be to completely quit any of that crap. Take up constantly chewing gum if you have to.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think the vaporizer is a pretty reasonable 80-20 rule fix until he weans off it. Willpower is a finite resource and as this thread has shown, he's already spread thin.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think the vaporizer is a pretty reasonable 80-20 rule fix until he weans off it. Willpower is a finite resource and as this thread has shown, he's already spread thin.
Vape allows most addicts I know to do it more as you can use it inside. It massively increased all of my friends nicotine intake. It's like quitting crack, you can't just move over to coke.

Cold turkey works best IME. I'm an ex pack a day+ smoker, too. Clean over 64 months now! (3-5 a day at the end, not a pack.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SiGmA_X posted:

Vape allows most addicts I know to do it more as you can use it inside. It massively increased all of my friends nicotine intake. It's like quitting crack, you can't just move over to coke.

Cold turkey works best IME. I'm an ex pack a day+ smoker, too. Clean over 64 months now! (3-5 a day at the end, not a pack.)

The nicotine isn't the worst compounds in cigarettes and it's still worlds cheaper. It still seems like a win to me. :shrug: It's one thing to just say "cold turkey, worked for me", but combining that with staying off alcohol and energy drinks and budgeting and all sorts of other willpower expenditures, I'm not sure that's one that makes sense. Trying to do all of those things at once may well result in none of them getting done where building better habits a few at a time would not.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Most studies showing vaping being bad for you is comparing it to not smoking at all. It's generally agreed in scientific literature to be an effective cessation device, and some say it's the most effective cessation method, while being instantly way better for you than smoking.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Knowing KG thus far, wouldn't vaping be an easy way for him to just blow a shitload of money on different ones with different batteries and, "Oh this one is different, it has a roadside BBQ attached". It seems like vaping tends to attract those who tinker on poo poo and then it becomes a loot grind/gear treadmill. Kinda like computer parts :v:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

There is the patch and gum as well.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Knyteguy posted:

August 2017 for debt free date
You're planning, you're doing it man :) Just keep updating the projected date each month or so.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

You're planning, you're doing it man :) Just keep updating the projected date each month or so.

Wasn't it May 2017 several months ago? Because if the date pushes out by 3 months every 3 months...

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Horking Delight posted:

Wasn't it May 2017 several months ago? Because if the date pushes out by 3 months every 3 months...
That's a good point. I was under the impression this was the first time he had sat down and ran the numbers.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Nice.

First time I used the patch (holy crap talk about weird dreams). Second time I used a vaporizer. Started with Blus and went onto something a little better. I quit the vaporizer after about a month also.

BloodBag posted:

Knowing KG thus far, wouldn't vaping be an easy way for him to just blow a shitload of money on different ones with different batteries and, "Oh this one is different, it has a roadside BBQ attached". It seems like vaping tends to attract those who tinker on poo poo and then it becomes a loot grind/gear treadmill. Kinda like computer parts :v:

Nah that's not really my thing. I think they're a little goofy personally, but that's just me. I have a slightly larger than pen sized one from before, and it works pretty well.

n8r posted:

There is the patch and gum as well.

That stuff is wildly expensive, but I'll give it a go if I can't "vape" the addiction away. I'll quit vaping after a month or so as well; I'm not big on vaping for fun.

Unfortunately right now I'm failing hard at quitting. I made it 8 hours two days in a row. I'll give it another go tomorrow. I loving hate smoking it's awful. My bravado didn't pay off in my last post saying it was an "easy cut". I think I can get it done before this week is up though. I'll post more by this weekend. I'm eating into my discretionary and that's upsetting, because I want to have some money for the month.

Horking Delight posted:

Likely it was... but see below.

Thanks! It's nice to see positivity in here again :).

Groceries is going well. We're at $70 for the week which is 7 days worth of groceries. $0 in restaurants. Only 3 days in but hey.

Throwing the extra $100 into debt paydown.

Cutting a $3,000 check to the car debt tonight. I'm using our current allocation for February ($1,300), some from January ($90), and I'm cheating and using March's allocation early since it's already budgeted ($1,100 as an estimate). I'm also cheating by pre-using $500 from the Tax refund before we've even filed our return (I'll just file with Turbo Tax and pray the audit man skips me, which I don't think I'm worth going after for a couple hundred dollars at the most). I get paid on Friday so that's where that will come from. I figure the check won't clear until next week so oh well. It just means no check in March instead.

We'll potentially need to cut a few hundred into the emergency fund to cover a very large Geico fuckup I just found out about tonight, but screw it I found after making the debt pay down decision, and I want to cut that debt check. We've got about $6,000 in the emergency fund anyway including our month ahead, so we'll be OK barring something that ~$250 wouldn't really help us with anyway. We should be under allocated on budget funds in March with a slightly lesser $1,100 debt repayment allocation, so we should have the emergency fund topped off in time for March.

So a little of cheating and counting eggs and whatever, but I really want to cut that check.

So with that $3,000 towards the car we'll be at:
$16,417.10 on the car debt
and then about $16,100 after the normal monthly payment goes through on the 10th.

Hey it's getting manageable.

Edit: gonna do $2800 just to play it a little more safe actually.

$16,617.10 on the debt remaining. I'll recalculate the debt free date again, as I did find an error on the last one after some thought.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 4, 2016

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

"Knyteguy" posted:

So a little of cheating and counting eggs and whatever, but I really want to cut that check.

What the gently caress.

Paragraphs about how things aren't quite on track but you really really want to spend even more money. Why are you so ready to give into this impulse? Has it been too long since you've gotten that rush from spending?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

bringer posted:

What the gently caress.

Paragraphs about how things aren't quite on track but you really really want to spend even more money. Why are you so ready to give into this impulse? Has it been too long since you've gotten that rush from spending?

That we aren't quite on track I'd consider incorrect. I'm borrowing against my rather paltry tax return for about two or three weeks with a month's buffer.

The only rush I'm getting from this is that of paying off debt. I'm excited for that debt free date after seeing how close we are. It's totally doable. It also will potentially allow us to refinance for a much lower interest rate in the next month or two as this will get the car out from underneath the loan. My credit score has really shot up in the past year, according to credit karma at least.

And on top of that I haven't mailed the check. I was waiting for some thread input.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Knyteguy...what the hell are you doing, dude?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah I don't get it. You have a plan to pay x per month. Just pay x per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

IllegallySober posted:

Knyteguy...what the hell are you doing, dude?

What? I've done this before with no objections, back in July I believe.

Here:
This month: $2,800 (3 months of debt repayment savings, plus an applied tax return as promised)
March 3rd: >= $1,300
April 3rd: >= $1,300
August 3rd 2017: ~$1,300

That's the debt repayment schedule right now. I'll still be making a debt payment in March despite this. The conversation above was YNAB methodology which I'm not following perfectly.

Edit tax return filed.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 4, 2016

• Locked thread