Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Landrobot (or anyone else), do you have any suggestions for lunch Indian food around Peachtree Corners? I don't know if you still work over this way.

I've recently been to The Palace and Sitar Indian Cuisine, and they were both okay, but not really good (though I've only been to each once so it isn't exactly a large sample size). I'd also really like a place that serves a full menu at lunch rather than a buffet (The Palace) or a limited lunch menu (Sitar) so I can order a whole bunch of chaat/appetizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

The farmer's market at Portland State University on Sat mornings is a sprawling thing of beauty and there are multiple mushroom vendors. While you can indeed get a "good deal" on morels & truffles, they're never dirt cheap. I think he just wanted to share the wealth or ran out of ideas with his bounty. I'm absolutely getting some when I'm there in March and finding a kitchen.

interesting. that was my reaction too, like holy gently caress if those are the 'leftover truffles', dude must have spent several hundred dollars on truffles or something.

bro-in-law played it down like it was no big deal, but I'm pretty sure I owe some folks a pretty huge favor.

you headed to Portland for work, or just to visit? I've never been, but have been debating trying to make it a "short vacation" destination...

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

you headed to Portland for work, or just to visit? I've never been, but have been debating trying to make it a "short vacation" destination...
You won't regret it. Most restauranters, bakery owners, bodegas, and carts are undercover sperging try-hards that outdo almost all of Atlanta's offerings. You know how this thread is like "tried it, meh." Does not happen there. Even unassuming corner joints like Cricket Cafe have a two-page tiki menu and their "veggie gravy" made me weep. It's silly. When I was feeling most food-ambitious to do a popup of some kind, I almost moved there and I can't seem to stay away too long. Two unsettling things, though: almost incessantly overcast, and It's also very, very white, which I found pretty bizarre coming from ATL. Look into historical racism in the state and it might depress you.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Is mindphlux writing for Atlanta magazine now?

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/reviews/review-marcel/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I've eaten there a couple times, this would basically be my review.

I feel silly criticizing a restaurant on the basis of prices - but because it's so systemically and obviously ford fry's game, I can't draw any other conclusion from his restaurants. They're relatively ok food wise, but they are just so insultingly obnoxious on their food prices (especially considering the service) that I wanna QQ and go home as soon as I read the menu. There's just a huge disconnect between the image he wants his restaurants to put forward and represent, the service and food they promise, and what I personally expect given those reps. I don't mind spending tons of money on stellar food, but goddamnit you better loving deliver on every level if my bill is that much.

luvs2Bgraded
Jan 22, 2003
The last time I ate at a Ford Fry restaurant I had a disappointing time. I went to the Optimist with a group of friends and the food was like a salt lick. When I ordered oysters, they were poorly shucked and had an lot of shell bits in the liquor. I wouldn't have minded as much if they weren't 3 dollars a piece or more.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Optimist has been consistently disappointing. I do not know how they keep a dedicated clientele unless it really is a case of, "These few blocks are gentrified and my date won't be mugged here."

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
So where would you all recommend for Valentines Day in Atlanta for under say $150? I'm in the midtown area so around there is cool, but obviously outside there works too. I'd say I'm looking for something modern American/Southern, but that's like half of the restaurants in Atlanta so I'm sort of at loss to pick one thing.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Ate Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch at Bread & Butterfly. Was very pleased with my meals. Was also pleased to see that my buddy Ned is in the kitchen.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

So where would you all recommend for Valentines Day in Atlanta for under say $150? I'm in the midtown area so around there is cool, but obviously outside there works too. I'd say I'm looking for something modern American/Southern, but that's like half of the restaurants in Atlanta so I'm sort of at loss to pick one thing.

stay away

stay far away

unless you're doing valentines day not-on-valentines day, do not under any circumstance go out for a meal on this day of days.

if you go, expect 2x as many tables crammed into every restaurant you'd normally like, eating 6 inches away from the couple next to you, special fixed price menus that are your only option, subpar food execution and service, et cetera.

I (stupidly) braved the going-out valentines day thing for like 3 years before I finally got it through my thick skull that this was a dumb idea. I think the three I went to were : woodfire grill (under kevin), sotto sotto, and one midtown kitchen. One was by far the worst, but even sotto sotto and woodfire were atrocious. I'd say I just had bad experiences, but those are three really well known and reasonably respected restaurants, all doing the exact same thing, and all failing in the same way - so I think it's probably systemic. I feel for the staff though, it must be a nightmare to work on a day like that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just go to Waffle House. :v:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mindphlux posted:

stay away

stay far away

unless you're doing valentines day not-on-valentines day, do not under any circumstance go out for a meal on this day of days.

if you go, expect 2x as many tables crammed into every restaurant you'd normally like, eating 6 inches away from the couple next to you, special fixed price menus that are your only option, subpar food execution and service, et cetera.

Yes. Do Valentine's Day not on Valentine's Day. Otherwise accept everything else being miserable.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Manuel Calavera posted:

Just go to Waffle House. :v:

Try and stop me.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mindphlux posted:

stay away

stay far away

I (stupidly) braved the going-out valentines day thing for like 3 years before I finally got it through my thick skull that this was a dumb idea. I think the three I went to were : woodfire grill (under kevin), sotto sotto, and one midtown kitchen. One was by far the worst, but even sotto sotto and woodfire were atrocious. I'd say I just had bad experiences, but those are three really well known and reasonably respected restaurants, all doing the exact same thing, and all failing in the same way - so I think it's probably systemic. I feel for the staff though, it must be a nightmare to work on a day like that.

ulmont posted:

Yes. Do Valentine's Day not on Valentine's Day. Otherwise accept everything else being miserable.

I took my wife out to dinner at the Sun Dial last year on the 15th (a Sunday) and it was still fairly crowded, but the place is pretty spacious so we had plenty of buffer between us and the next closest couples. I can't imagine how bad it would have been on the 14th. The only issues we had were with loud, obnoxious people that were dressed poorly for a fancy restaurant and had their kids along with them.

But yeah, 100% agree. Do not go out to dinner on the 14th unless you hate yourself or your spouse.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
It would seem like the only way around it would be to Try* and be clever via having a nice late night out the day before Valentine's then escalate as soon as the clock strikes midnight and take it from there---most places that I've seen descend into an absolute hellscape due to it only undergo that manifestation from about Brunch(lunch)time onward into the evening on the day of, with the staff then a shell of their former selves for at least a couple days afterward from burning the candle from both ends and from the middle just because.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
1/2 chicken at Bread & Butterfly is loving good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm stoked on ticonderoga club. Finally made it there for dinner, and was delightfuly surprised.

Like 80% of the staff are holeman and finch expats, so we knew almost everyone by first name. The food was all pretty decent and on point.

If you live nearby, head over asap. If you dont, no big deal

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Trying to figure out where to take the missus for V-Day (on the 15th, though, not the 14th because gently caress that). I'm thinking someplace that has a good cheese plate since we have a thing for cheese plates.

We've been to F&B in Buckhead and the Sun Dial the last two years. We really liked F&B; anything else like that around?

And while we're on the subject, any place that makes good chocolates? I would like to avoid going to a chain place like Godiva.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DizzyBum posted:

And while we're on the subject, any place that makes good chocolates? I would like to avoid going to a chain place like Godiva.

My favorites were Maison Robert up in Chamblee, and Cacao on Highland.

http://maisonrobertchocolates.com/

http://cacaoatlanta.com/

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Looking for a good sushi spot for birthday dinner. I was looking at Sushi House Hayakawa, but I've also heard good things about Maru. Craft Izakaya is getting a lot of attention but their menu was only showing rolls. Any recs?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

roobots posted:

Looking for a good sushi spot for birthday dinner. I was looking at Sushi House Hayakawa, but I've also heard good things about Maru. Craft Izakaya is getting a lot of attention but their menu was only showing rolls. Any recs?

I'd go to Shoya myself : http://www.shoyaatlanta.com/ - my current all time fav in ATL. Was pointed in their direction by one of the owners of RuSans - who also in the same breath admitted they would never eat their own sushi, and told me they went to Shyoa for their own family gatherings. I can respect that. Cheaper than in-town options, and top notch quality wise.

Craft is pretty alright - Katrina and I have been maybe 10-15 times because we live right around the corner. No complaints about the quality of their stuff or menu options - it just can get expensive quickly. Miso Izakaya is right down the street, and another option worth considering. About the same cost/quality wise.

If you wanna throw hundreds and not give a gently caress, vote goes to the new MF in Inman Park, or Umi in buckhead. Haven't been to the latter, but it's on my list - probably where I'll go for my own b-day thing this year.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 10, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Need a suggestion for lunch today.

3 adults, 1 child. Wheelchair accessible, healthy/organic if possible. I am near KSM.

Walkable is irrelevant because wheelchair.

K. Go!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I kinda love Bread & Butterfly.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

DizzyBum posted:

Trying to figure out where to take the missus for V-Day (on the 15th, though, not the 14th because gently caress that). I'm thinking someplace that has a good cheese plate since we have a thing for cheese plates.

We've been to F&B in Buckhead and the Sun Dial the last two years. We really liked F&B; anything else like that around?

VDay reservations at Kimball House are booked up, so we are going to The Spence, as they have a pretty nice menu.

F&B is closed on Sundays, so check to see if they're open. Maison Robert for local Atlanta chocolate is excellent. Or for semi-local (Asheville, NC), the best poo poo out there is this: https://frenchbroadchocolates.com/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I kinda love Bread & Butterfly.

I'm really excited to try it out. Was pleasantly surprised with their menu/concept, might give it a go tomorrow.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I'm really excited to try it out. Was pleasantly surprised with their menu/concept, might give it a go tomorrow.

I recommend the half chicken and the french dip. I thought both were really excellent when I had them. I've had dinner there three times and thought the food was great. Service could be improved and the food seems like it takes longer than it should, but I'm not really bothered by that.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What are the best ice cream places other than Jenni's?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Morelli's

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah, when I want ice cream, Morelli's on Moreland is pretty much where I go.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Megasabin posted:

Butter & Cream, also in Decatur square, was nice. Ended up eating there when Jeni's was closed down.

I had Morelli's at the food festival not this last year but the year before and it was good.

Kilwin's in Atlantic Station is nice? I usually just get chocolate there though if I'm there.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Gaja twice this weekend and rather enjoyed it. Fun and playful menu.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Megasabin posted:

There is an Atlanta Ice Cream Festival. I know this because I was running around like a manic dickhead on my bike gathering stuff to make a few kinds of ice cream and got stuck in the festival on the way home. That's the best place to find out for yourself. Queen of Cream ATL is awesome as heck, they have a sweet corn berry that gives Jeni's a run for their money even if it was likely ripped from Jeni's cookbook.. Morelli's in Edgewood just closed, you gotta go south to the near-EAV location. Jake's Ice Cream is an ATL staple. Also you can scoot me some bucks to make you any ice cream you want.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I recommend the half chicken and the french dip. I thought both were really excellent when I had them. I've had dinner there three times and thought the food was great. Service could be improved and the food seems like it takes longer than it should, but I'm not really bothered by that.

I forgot to post my follow up to this. I really enjoyed this place, and liked the butterfly concept a lot once I got there. Didn't make any sense to me until I realized it was an inman park thing. props.

I got the dip, it was ammmmmaazzing. or, good bread covered in butter with lots of mushrooms and gooey cheese - hard to dislike. we had a good array of dishes - a few could have used some focus or inspiration - I wasn't completely stoked by a plate of 7 radishes and some butter for $6 - but had a couple inspirational small plates, and the bill wasn't completely absurd. Agree about the service though, but will go back for sure.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

and liked the butterfly concept a lot once I got there. Didn't make any sense to me until I realized it was an inman park thing. props.

What is the butterfly concept?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

venutolo posted:

What is the butterfly concept?

Here's the Inman Park link to butterfly - http://www.inmanpark.org/the-butterfly

I assume mindphlux is just talking about the name of Bread & Butterfly.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Hey, Chai Pani is about to open their doors to their new style restaurant at Ponce City Market called Botiwalla, which is a new concept. This is an invite to their pre-opening party and film review with the Atlanta Film Festival next week. They shot a kind of documentary type thing in India, similar to Anthony Bourdain. I saw parts of it already; it's pretty good actually!

Afterwards is food and drinks (free!) at their new place, but it's still not open yet, so it's a sneak-peek! Anyways, just passing this along if you all wanted to go. It's next Thursday evening if anyone wants to make it a sorta goon meet. $15/ticket, upstairs in Ponce Market. I'll be going and hope to see some of you all there too!

https://cuttingchai.splashthat.com/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Hey, Chai Pani ...

I was thinking about going to this.

You going to Chai Pani tonight for the 3rd anniversary thing tonight?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

venutolo posted:

I was thinking about going to this.

You going to Chai Pani tonight for the 3rd anniversary thing tonight?

Can't tonight, but got tix for next week.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ulmont posted:

Here's the Inman Park link to butterfly - http://www.inmanpark.org/the-butterfly

I assume mindphlux is just talking about the name of Bread & Butterfly.

yeah, exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone happen to know any stores that sell Polar Seltzer?