Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Night10194 posted:

Oh, hi, Collector. It's nice to meet you here, immediately after the loving Shambler.
I think the game realized I was starting to feel comfortable.
Ran into the Collector on my 3rd week. What an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I ran into him in Week 4. I nuked him down but didn't understand how the adds worked (I do now) and had to retreat because of Ghost Highwayman rear end in a top hat. I was basically praying nuking him would somehow make the adds evaporate.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Jackard posted:

My 3rd week collector dropped a rare trinket :getin:
Then I wiped on the next fight :smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jackard posted:

The first time I encountered him I got my poo poo kicked in. Did manage to beat him, but just barely and I don't think my entire team survived it.

Second time I ran into it recently I just destroyed that fucker. He's not immune to stuns so at least the first like two rounds you can whittle him down before he can summon his adds.

Are the heads trinkets worth it? I have all 3 sitting in my inventory but the + stress damage seems a huge risk for the other stats on it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

The first time I encountered him I got my poo poo kicked in. Did manage to beat him, but just barely and I don't think my entire team survived it.

Second time I ran into it recently I just destroyed that fucker. He's not immune to stuns so at least the first like two rounds you can whittle him down before he can summon his adds.

Are the heads trinkets worth it? I have all 3 sitting in my inventory but the + stress damage seems a huge risk for the other stats on it

The +healing can really put in work. I have that with the vestal scroll which mitigates some of the stress damage and her healing becomes huge

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm a big fan of nuking the poo poo out of enemies before they can do anything, so I don't mind +stress% if the bonus is worth it.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I once tried to kill the Hag. Went through the entire dungeon, and stopped four rooms before the final fight. Scouting showed there are no fights left except the one in the final corridor, so I decided to camp there. How bad one fight can be?

It was the loving Collector.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
I also ran into him somewhere on my third or fourth week. Junia's head as my reward and healing has never been a problem for me since. Though nearly every time I've faced the collector, I've had to abandon the quest right after whether I won or not. The one exception is when I was on my quest to kill Veteran Flesh and he showed up as my like third encounter. Houndmaster best class.

packetmantis posted:

food - 50 gold
torches - 200 gold
medicinal herbs - 50 gold
shovels - 75000 gold

please help me budget this my hamlet is dying

I love this.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
@darkestdril: well i was going to enter the darkest dungeon but this yelp review says theres a nude man at the bottom swinging chains around and yelling "gently caress u

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
My natural swing, balanced, hard skinned leper is pretty cool y'all.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

@darkestdril: well i was going to enter the darkest dungeon but this yelp review says theres a nude man at the bottom swinging chains around and yelling "gently caress u

IF THE HAMLET FIRES ME FOR HOLLERING AT MY TEAMMATES I WILL FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Second time in a row I forget my food :cripes:

Managed to win both times, though :smug:

EDIT: Also, what do the number of times you "complete" the dungeon (as in the number of times you fill the progress bar) unlock? I think you need to do it twice to get to the first boss, but what will happen if I kee grinding the dungeon? Will the second boss appear as soon as I kill the first?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 27, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Macaluso posted:

Beat him on my EA campaign but he kept resisting stuns and resetting the progess of my 3rd week party with lifesteal so I just said gently caress it. Retreat, camp and went around all the hallway fights on the map. This would have been a really dick move to a less savvy player.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 27, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'll go into the weald on a medium run with 12 food, that's plenty, I've got two herbs.

Zero carcasses, starve, lose three party members with Fated :shepface:

At least I made a bunch of gold!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It took me a week to pick a team for level 2 of the Darkest Dungeon. I finally started the dungeon last night, and stopped after the first two miniboss rooms because I'm not sure I can beat the third one, so I've been debating how to manage the remainder of my food supplies (hold off for a starve event or just heal up as much as I can).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Greatbacon posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/690237259451387904

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

He's got Flagellant? Never would have guessed.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is the merchant class ever going to be a thing? The game made it to release without merchant happening, so I'm wondering if they abandoned the idea.

It was supposed to be silk road-themed. That's all I know and I'm incredibly curious to see weaponized mercantilism in the context of Darkest Dungeon. I'm sure he's got some kind of curved sword, but then what? All his upgrades are free but it costs gold to attack with him? Increased loot drops? Trade gems for trinkets? Special attacks that consume gems/trinkets? Third trinket slot, filled by a random trinket whenever you enter a dungeon, trinket given to you gratis if you complete that dungeon but destroyed if you flee?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When do we get the Caretaker class

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
iirc the merchant was supposed to be a fairly weak character who increases your loot gains. i think someone mentioned they would have a blunderbuss attack that would spend money to do damage, presumably by firing gold at monsters like a very expensive canister shot.

it sounds interesting but i think the rewards would have to be fairly substantial in order to get me to take the added risk of intentionally gimping my party.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Ragnar34 posted:

Is the merchant class ever going to be a thing? The game made it to release without merchant happening, so I'm wondering if they abandoned the idea.

It was supposed to be silk road-themed. That's all I know and I'm incredibly curious to see weaponized mercantilism in the context of Darkest Dungeon. I'm sure he's got some kind of curved sword, but then what? All his upgrades are free but it costs gold to attack with him? Increased loot drops? Trade gems for trinkets? Special attacks that consume gems/trinkets? Third trinket slot, filled by a random trinket whenever you enter a dungeon, trinket given to you gratis if you complete that dungeon but destroyed if you flee?

They've said for a while that Merchant is coming post-launch

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

They've said for a while that Merchant is coming post-launch

Along with Town events, which will hopefully be cool.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Macaluso posted:

When do we get the Caretaker class
You are the Caretaker class.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

You are the Caretaker class.

no wonder my time is spent alternating between drinking and the brothel

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Darkest Dungeon.gif

The poor caretaker. I fear his longstanding duties here have... affected him!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Watching people gently caress up and die in games like this is a great pleasure.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also, never Tavern destress. Just pretend it doesn't exist and fire them or remove the quirk if they have something that won't let them destress in the Abbey. I still have yet to replace the Ancestor's Map Dismas decided to gamble away like 4 months ago.
Isn't it just gambling? I thought the other two were okay in the tavern.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

MacheteZombie posted:

Along with Town events, which will hopefully be cool.

What's those precious

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Isn't it just gambling? I thought the other two were okay in the tavern.

They can "misplace" trinkets after drinking too. The brothel doesn't have any permanent consequences that bad but it can still cause syphilis and mission-long debuffs. Meditating and praying are by far the safest/best destress options.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wafflecopper posted:

Champion is 5, Darkest Dungeon is 6 :eng101:

Thank you, I should know better than to post right before bed. In addition, in case the poster asking missed it, the areas themselves level up as you complete missions and unlock bosses, which provide most of the variety in the game.

That all said, the levels themselves aren't going to get very different from each other in terms of format. You go to most of the rooms and fight enemies, and the format doesn't change much between the varying missions, boss fights being the exception. (That's where you make a beeline to the room farthest away from you)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gabriel Pope posted:

They can "misplace" trinkets after drinking too. The brothel doesn't have any permanent consequences that bad but it can still cause syphilis and mission-long debuffs. Meditating and praying are by far the safest/best destress options.
That sucks, the prices aren't even much cheaper in the tavern.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Darth Windu posted:

What's those precious

Flagellate also gives you potential stat debuffs that last for a while.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 27, 2016

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rascyc posted:

That sucks, the prices aren't even much cheaper in the tavern.

Yeah what's the point of that? I've never had enough people to destress that I'd ever need the extra capacity, and if the tavern can permanently gently caress you out of trinkets, why ever use it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, lesson learned about the Hag: Almost everything you bring to her needs to be able to hit the back row.

Thankfully, my Arbalest survived a few death's door hits and no-one paid for my mistakes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how you guys manage stress so well. After one run, my guys are generally between 35-65 stress. So I can either take them out again, or take another team and try to let them "de-stress naturally". So If I take another team, when that team gets back, I now have 8 guys who all have between 30 and 65 stress. If I take anyone with 65-70 stress on a run, there's a good chance they'll get an affliction.

I guess I should up my roster size to 18? I thought that after encountering the first boss some 10 hours ago, I'd be ready to take a crack at it again, but I can barely get a decent team together for anything but a money run.

The trait that is obsession with money (i can't remember what it's called) seems almost as bad as kleptomania, since they take all the money from bags and stuff.

I'm still having fun, but I'm starting to get bored because I feel like I've hit a progress wall. I've played 20 hours and I haven't progressed past where I was at at 5 hours. And I don't want to do risky runs like boss attempts, because I only barely have a team of level 2s, and if I lose them, I'll be right back where I was 20 hours ago.

edit: I mean, the biggest thing that screwed me was my 3 best guys all ended up being level 3, which mean I was down my best plague doctor, best hound master, and best leper. Of all the mechanics that can "screw you over" in this game, that's the only one so far that feels unfair.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 27, 2016

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

victrix posted:

Yeah what's the point of that? I've never had enough people to destress that I'd ever need the extra capacity, and if the tavern can permanently gently caress you out of trinkets, why ever use it?

gently caress you, that's why. Although they can win trinkets while gambling as well, I saw at least one post where someone got the Backer-only item that way.

Also the Abbey has drawbacks as well, they're just not nearly as severe. You're very likely to gain Calm (-damage% in first round) or other quirks related to meditation, as well as missing several weeks at a time due to your dudes going on a bender. The thing is, getting a pain in the rear end quirk isn't that bad, just a bit of gold. Losing a trinket can be irreplaceable.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Neat party composition I'm rather enjoying right now. Arbalest-Jester-Houndmaster-Leper. I like to call it "No healer? No problem!" or less commonly "The Jester and Arbalest will probably die if targeted". Decent damage against all positions, good DoT (though only bleed), only one stun but it's the most reliable, and major self-sustenance and stress management. Not optimal in the slightest but good coverage and synergies. Makes me wish Intimidate was single target marking skill against any position though just to round out all the Marking + Debuffs.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Snak posted:

I'm still having fun, but I'm starting to get bored because I feel like I've hit a progress wall. I've played 20 hours and I haven't progressed past where I was at at 5 hours. And I don't want to do risky runs like boss attempts, because I only barely have a team of level 2s, and if I lose them, I'll be right back where I was 20 hours ago.
While there are certain boss layouts that are realllllllllllly loving annoying (a bifurcated dungeon where each leg is equal length, so you don't which is the boss), they're usually not that bad. Bosses are more like puzzles to be honest, where your solution is both hero selection and skill choices. I am not advocating spoiling yourself on how to beat them, but they're not unapproachable. A bunch of level 2s with upgraded weapons are not worth playing that cautiously, and it's only through adversity that you'll progress.

Save your camp for the room directly before the boss, stack all the camp buffs that give large bonuses (for example, the Bounty Hunter takedown, the Man-at-Arms group buffs, pop the dog treats and the Holy Water and beat the boss down with your massive buff erection.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

I don't know how you guys manage stress so well. After one run, my guys are generally between 35-65 stress. So I can either take them out again, or take another team and try to let them "de-stress naturally". So If I take another team, when that team gets back, I now have 8 guys who all have between 30 and 65 stress. If I take anyone with 65-70 stress on a run, there's a good chance they'll get an affliction.

I guess I should up my roster size to 18? I thought that after encountering the first boss some 10 hours ago, I'd be ready to take a crack at it again, but I can barely get a decent team together for anything but a money run.

The trait that is obsession with money (i can't remember what it's called) seems almost as bad as kleptomania, since they take all the money from bags and stuff.

edit: I mean, the biggest thing that screwed me was my 3 best guys all ended up being level 3, which mean I was down my best plague doctor, best hound master, and best leper. Of all the mechanics that can "screw you over" in this game, that's the only one so far that feels unfair.

How upgraded is your hamlet? Do you buy skill or equipment upgrades for your heroes? Have you done some low/no light runs to get some extra cash? Do you always pay to lower stress or have you ever just dismissed the afflicted and rehired fresh classes? Did you waste heirlooms on the trinket or camp skill trainer?

Also, when it comes to the early boss runs, they are tuned for level 1 heroes, so if you take a few level 2s and some level 1s, you might be surprised how easily you tear through a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Greatbacon posted:

How upgraded is your hamlet? Do you buy skill or equipment upgrades for your heroes? Have you done some low/no light runs to get some extra cash? Do you always pay to lower stress or have you ever just dismissed the afflicted and rehired fresh classes? Did you waste heirlooms on the trinket or camp skill trainer?

Also, when it comes to the early boss runs, they are tuned for level 1 heroes, so if you take a few level 2s and some level 1s, you might be surprised how easily you tear through a boss.

The last 3 time I tried I couldn't even get to the boss.

I only pay to lower stress on "important" characters. ones that are level 2, or ones that are level one and have optimum skills or that I have already invested in upgrading armor and skills.
If they are level 0 or level 1 they are fired.

I just upgraded my stage coach again because I haven't seen a hound master in loving forever and I'm down from 4 to 1 (well, 2, but one of them is level 3 now)

Yeah, low-light runs for cash has probably been 8 hours of my 20 hour playtime.

edit: motherfucker I forgot a shovel.

How many shovels should I be bringing? Because no matter how many I bring, from 0-2, I always end up taking like 20 stress across the board from digging.