Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
So store champs is coming up soon in Australia and I'm trying to nail down my list.

I've previously flown Guri and 4 feedback Z-95s with a lot of success in a tournament and I'm tempted to go back to it.

Recently however Juke has been my jam, flying 2 Omega squadrons with Juke and Comm relay, backed up by howlrunner and an ace has been great but I want to take it further.

I flew this list the other night and won every game but only one was against a comptetive list.

"Howlrunner" (18)
Juke (2)
Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 99

It's a great little list that is surprisingly defensive because everything has 3 green dice and an evade + focus (or stealth device).

It can also push through a lot of damage with focus fire and juke. I took down a stressbot in a single turn before it could get a single shot of the other day.

My only problem is Omega Ace. I don't think I will ever trigger his ability. If you can get the perfect storm where he can get 3 hits using just howlrunner rerolls and you have had turns where taking a focus wasn't necessary so you can target lock it could be good. Assuming they don't just evade everything anyway.

I am basically only taking him because he is PS 7. It is so much easier to fly in formation with 2 PS 8s and 2 PS 7s than a mixture of 4 different pilot skills.

I am trying to decide if it is worth dropping Omega Ace for two academy ties or one academy and Wampa.

I would lose one instance of Juke, but if I can use the academies to block then the opponent doesn't have the focus token to stop my first Juke anyway so the damage would be the same. It is also two more tie fighters getting howlrunner rerolls, two more total hit points to chew through and just more for my opponent to have to consider. It also means I'll have less to worry about my formation getting blocked because I can get in and block first.

I'd love to fit wampa in with a Targeting computer as a flanker but I can't find 2 extra points to fit him in with an academy tie.

I do lose that awesome s-loop, being able to shoot before y-wings and the action economy. Plus it would leave me with only 3 jukes, one of which is unmodified from howlrunner who will only have the evade token.

I only have one more Tuesday game night to test lists before champs start so I can't decide if I should just practise the 4 ties or test the extra academy ties.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

KongGeorgeVII posted:

So store champs is coming up soon in Australia and I'm trying to nail down my list.

I've previously flown Guri and 4 feedback Z-95s with a lot of success in a tournament and I'm tempted to go back to it.

Recently however Juke has been my jam, flying 2 Omega squadrons with Juke and Comm relay, backed up by howlrunner and an ace has been great but I want to take it further.

I flew this list the other night and won every game but only one was against a comptetive list.

"Howlrunner" (18)
Juke (2)
Stealth Device (3)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Omega Ace" (20)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Total: 99

It's a great little list that is surprisingly defensive because everything has 3 green dice and an evade + focus (or stealth device).

It can also push through a lot of damage with focus fire and juke. I took down a stressbot in a single turn before it could get a single shot of the other day.

My only problem is Omega Ace. I don't think I will ever trigger his ability. If you can get the perfect storm where he can get 3 hits using just howlrunner rerolls and you have had turns where taking a focus wasn't necessary so you can target lock it could be good. Assuming they don't just evade everything anyway.

I am basically only taking him because he is PS 7. It is so much easier to fly in formation with 2 PS 8s and 2 PS 7s than a mixture of 4 different pilot skills.

I am trying to decide if it is worth dropping Omega Ace for two academy ties or one academy and Wampa.

I would lose one instance of Juke, but if I can use the academies to block then the opponent doesn't have the focus token to stop my first Juke anyway so the damage would be the same. It is also two more tie fighters getting howlrunner rerolls, two more total hit points to chew through and just more for my opponent to have to consider. It also means I'll have less to worry about my formation getting blocked because I can get in and block first.

I'd love to fit wampa in with a Targeting computer as a flanker but I can't find 2 extra points to fit him in with an academy tie.

I do lose that awesome s-loop, being able to shoot before y-wings and the action economy. Plus it would leave me with only 3 jukes, one of which is unmodified from howlrunner who will only have the evade token.

I only have one more Tuesday game night to test lists before champs start so I can't decide if I should just practise the 4 ties or test the extra academy ties.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Maybe PTL on Omega Ace? Unless I'm misunderstanding how PTL resolves. Move-->Focus-->PTL-->Target Lock?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah, PTL seems like the best way to make hay out of Omega Ace's ability, unless you can organically work in a source to hand off a lock/focus token from another source, which I'm not really seeing without a stretch.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
The problem is that if I put PTL on Omega, I lose Juke. Maybe with PTL I can get a crit through, maybe, but with only 2 attack it's a stretch especially to do it on a regular basis.

With Juke and 3 other ships with Juke I can consistently force damage through. Once the first Juke forces the opponent to spend their focus token then the 3 remaining are essentially the equivalent of crackshot. Replenishing crackshot.

The whole list relies on getting the most out of Juke and it gets better the more you can fit in a list. I could run 4 Omega Squadron pilots with Juke, Comms and Stealth Device but Omega Leader is incredible, howlrunner makes the damage more consistent and Zeta can roll 4 dice at range one which can be brutal with Juke.

It's just Omega Ace who doesn't bring a useful ability to the table. I can't even replace him with a regular tie ace because the Comm Relay brings so much to the table both offensively and defensively. The difference between the damage from howlrunner with her lack of rerolls or focus compared to everyone else is huge. You just shoot with her first and with a bit of luck force your opponent to spend the token.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Well, since Omega Ace is PS 7, he's also shooting last (tied with Zeta Lead). So, assuming you get to focus fire a target, you've almost certainly forced them to spend any tokens by that point.

Putting 2-3 crits on someone who's got no tokens and quite likely no shields is a big deal. I think PtL is the way to go here.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Having played PTL Omega Ace oh my god yes do it

Although I last played him before Juke.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

The Gate posted:

Well, since Omega Ace is PS 7, he's also shooting last (tied with Zeta Lead). So, assuming you get to focus fire a target, you've almost certainly forced them to spend any tokens by that point.

Putting 2-3 crits on someone who's got no tokens and quite likely no shields is a big deal. I think PtL is the way to go here.

Having been on the receiving end of PtL Omega Ace, he's really no joke.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So the X-Wing System Open Series seems interesting to say the least.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/x-wing-open/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/1/27/system-open-spoils/

well....maybe one of you guys gets to attend this.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Am I missing something or does "around the world" actually mean "in Europe".

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hoiyes posted:

Am I missing something or does "around the world" actually mean "in Europe".

'World' usually means just in the US for American companies so this is a good development.

Edit: Looked are the schedule, there's one in the US, so you're all good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Asmodee's also based in france so there will be more of this in the future. And the US gets its lion's share of store champs and regionals already anyway.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Is that the same weekend as Adepticon or is this something different?

e: Yep, dammit I'm not paying Adepticon money for this.

e2: Okay since they're going back to hideous Aurabesh promo cards I'm not too bent out of shape about it.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 27, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, seriously. I mean, I can get if there isn't actually *worldwide* demand for X-Wing, but having all of one event in the US and the other 7 in Europe is absolutely bizarre.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

Is that the same weekend as Adepticon or is this something different?

e: Yep, dammit I'm not paying Adepticon money for this.

It's like $25 for a Weekend Board gaming pass which gets you all the X-Wing events apparently.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, seriously. I mean, I can get if there isn't actually *worldwide* demand for X-Wing, but having all of one event in the US and the other 7 in Europe is absolutely bizarre.

We have twice as many people as the US and a lot of Board gamers have picked up X-wing, boardgames are very very popular in Europe. Makes sense to me really.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Lord of Hats posted:

No :canada: either

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It super sucks to have one event in... Illinois. Wtf FFG

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Yes! We are perfect to be the Hoth event too

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Aramoro posted:

'World' usually means just in the US for American companies so this is a good development.

Edit: Looked are the schedule, there's one in the US, so you're all good.

I'm in Brazil. :smith:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

One day the nova open will be large enough for companies to take it seriously as a gaming convention. Probably needs another 5 years though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm thinking about trying to go. It'll be a heck of a trip but I think i'd prefer it over a non-local regionals.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

For me it's real easy. Gonna go to the Game Expo in Birmingham with my X-Wing buddy and if I somehow manage to win, I live in London.

This is payback for having all of the Worlds event in the US, guys.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hoiyes posted:

I'm in Brazil. :smith:

South America always gets a raw deal, but then so does Africa, Australia and Asia. A lot of companies have only realised there's a world outside of the US fairly recently.

I'm sure the US players will complain enough and have more US events added at some point.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Should I run:

quote:

Soontir + AT + Stealth + PTL
Omicron + Palpatine
Darth Vader + EU + VI + TIE X1 + ATC

or

quote:

Omicron + Palpatine
Turr Phenir + AT + Stealth + PTL

? My gut says Darth all day. I don't think Turr + Darth has any merit, though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The first. By far

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

For me it's real easy. Gonna go to the Game Expo in Birmingham with my X-Wing buddy and if I somehow manage to win, I live in London.

Worlds should be in the US, you limey brit.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Played my first league game ever last night, I ran Poe with BB8, PTL and Autothrusters, Red Ace with R2-D2 and Autothrusters, and a Gold Sq. with BTL, TLT and R3-A2.

Went against a guy with 2014 store champ movement templates so figured I was in for it. He ran Whisper with advanced cloaking, agent kallus, veteran instincts and something else, wampa, chaser and a palp shuttle.

He set up on my right side in the far corner. I put my y-wing dead center to use it as area denial, with red ace next to him and Poe off on my left corner.

My plan worked, he turned Whisper into the center of the board and I immediately put two stress on her and stuck Poe right behind her. I couldn't get a shot for about four turns but he couldn't get Whisper into the fight.

Meanwhile I beat up Chaser with the y-wing before the two TIEs and the Shuttle dealt it some big crits and he went down.

Red Ace popped the shuttle and then Chaser. I was still harrying Whisper back into the fight and managed to Target Lock her with Red Ace on her decloak.

Then on the next turn he bumped Whisper into Wampa on his move, and I had Tallon rolled Red Ace. No cloak for Whisper meant Poe and Red Ace gunned her down and his Wanpa only had 1 hull left so he conceded.

Feels good man.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Panzeh posted:

Worlds should be in the US, you limey brit.

Asmodee is actually in France.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tekopo posted:

I can get there dead easy too, but I suspect the investment would not be worth it as it's going to be a huge event and I stand like 0 chance of winning. Plus it requires at least one viable list from all 3 factions which is well beyond me at the moment.

Deviant posted:

My gut says Darth all day. I don't think Turr + Darth has any merit, though.

Your gut is right. Vader >>> a low PS Squint. Though Vader without an engine upgrade is a little painful.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

I can get there dead easy too, but I suspect the investment would not be worth it as it's going to be a huge event and I stand like 0 chance of winning. Plus it requires at least one viable list from all 3 factions which is well beyond me at the moment.
Well the 8 events leading to the final are standard tourneys with only one list necessary (afaik) so you wouldn't need to worry about that. Also tourneys aren't all about winning (at least not for me), the experience is what makes it worth it. I've only ever won one tourney (and it was an armada one) and I still go regularly.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Your gut is right. Vader >>> a low PS Squint. Though Vader without an engine upgrade is a little painful.

He has one though?

Omicron + Palpatine

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You guys know that BB8 AA will cover at least the price of the event, right?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Chemmy posted:

Played my first league game ever last night, I ran Poe with BB8, PTL and Autothrusters, Red Ace with R2-D2 and Autothrusters, and a Gold Sq. with BTL, TLT and R3-A2.

Went against a guy with 2014 store champ movement templates so figured I was in for it. He ran Whisper with advanced cloaking, agent kallus, veteran instincts and something else, wampa, chaser and a palp shuttle.

He set up on my right side in the far corner. I put my y-wing dead center to use it as area denial, with red ace next to him and Poe off on my left corner.

My plan worked, he turned Whisper into the center of the board and I immediately put two stress on her and stuck Poe right behind her. I couldn't get a shot for about four turns but he couldn't get Whisper into the fight.

Meanwhile I beat up Chaser with the y-wing before the two TIEs and the Shuttle dealt it some big crits and he went down.

Red Ace popped the shuttle and then Chaser. I was still harrying Whisper back into the fight and managed to Target Lock her with Red Ace on her decloak.

Then on the next turn he bumped Whisper into Wampa on his move, and I had Tallon rolled Red Ace. No cloak for Whisper meant Poe and Red Ace gunned her down and his Wanpa only had 1 hull left so he conceded.

Feels good man.

Conceded?!?!?! That's COLLUSION! CHEATER

j/k I read an angry ffg forum post about people having very strong opinions about someone deciding a game with a coinflip back in 2014. Ended up with the person involved "taking full responsibility" and getting banned from locals/regionals this season. It felt kinda weird to care that much about the whole situation, but maybe there is something I don't get.

The forum thread was started (I think) by that xwingtactics tumblr guy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Well the 8 events leading to the final are standard tourneys with only one list necessary (afaik) so you wouldn't need to worry about that. Also tourneys aren't all about winning (at least not for me), the experience is what makes it worth it. I've only ever won one tourney (and it was an armada one) and I still go regularly.

Yeah, I know, I don't expect to win in tournaments yet - and I'll take a look and see how expensive the UK event in Brum is - my group is talking about sending a delegation, so if they do I'll probably join in if it's not too dear.

If other goons are going maybe we could do a goonmeet up there at the same time.

Deviant posted:

He has one though?

Omicron + Palpatine

I read gud

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, I know, I don't expect to win in tournaments yet - and I'll take a look and see how expensive the UK event in Brum is - my group is talking about sending a delegation, so if they do I'll probably join in if it's not too dear.

If other goons are going maybe we could do a goonmeet up there at the same time.
I'm more than likely to go so I wouldn't mind doing a goonmeet if the occasion arises.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well, I'm off to play some wangs in like 5 minutes but I'll mention in the thread if I'm planning to go.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

You guys know that BB8 AA will cover at least the price of the event, right?

For basically anyone who lives outside of Chicago (like 99% of the population of the US) this event is several hundred dollars at the least. BB8 aint covering that.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 27, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ranbo das posted:

For anyone who lives outside of Chicago this event is several hundred dollars at the least. BB8 aint covering that.

That post was in reply to the people who live nearby and are too afraid to go to a tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

That post was in reply to the people who live nearby and are too afraid to go to a tournament.

Oh well they're nerds and should go. That sexy full card alt art is too good to pass up.

• Locked thread