Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Thief talk: go into it like it has nothing to do with Thief and it's an easier pill to swallow. Pretend fake Garrett thinks he's really cool and charming and is Batman and there's a gas leak nearby always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mayor McCheese posted:

Thief talk: go into it like it has nothing to do with Thief and it's an easier pill to swallow. Pretend fake Garrett thinks he's really cool and charming and is Batman and there's a gas leak nearby always.

Or play something else.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

Or play something else.

Dishonored is really good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I tried and tried and couldn't get into Dishonored. Something about taking 1-2 hours to go through a mission without any alarms or kills and find out at the end that there was a random alarm triggered somewhere for me to go "Yup...gently caress this!"

I really hope the second game tells you when you've killed or set an alarm off because that is the most frustrating poo poo ever in a stealth game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't blame the game for your own inadequacies. If you gently caress up don't reset, just deal with the consequences.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

homeless snail posted:

Don't blame the game for your own inadequacies. If you gently caress up don't reset, just deal with the consequences.

I had a lot more fun playing Dishonored after I gave up trying to be super stealthy.

I beat the first two mission things and thought they were alright. There is something missing from the game, but it's hard to tell exactly what. Like they just needed one more piece to make the whole puzzle click together.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A bloo bloo i got spotted by some mother fucker that subsequently got eaten by mystical rats. Problem solved.

Woptendo
Mar 23, 2006

Gonna pick up Dissidia 012: Duodecim. Is there any extra content in Prologus that makes it worth buying?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've finished Dishonored about 6 or 7 times and have true ghosted it, murdered everyone without being spotted and played it completely loud, and it's both entirely possible and really fun to do all three.

It's the best stealth game since Thief 2.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

univbee posted:

For North America

Far Cry sale, you can get FC4 including bundles with the season pass for 67-70% off. 50-75% off all the PS3 Far Cries.

Square Enix Sale, basically everything Final Fantasy-related other than FF7 for PS4 is 50% off (although the PS1 downloadable FF7 is 50% off), along with Parasite Eve 2 and 3, Drakengard 3, Vagrant Story, Front Mission 3, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Lord of Arcana, Crystal Defenders

Oh god Front Mission, Vagrant Story $3. I have like... 5 or 6 PS1 RPGs that I bought and haven't played just because it comes a total impulse buy at that point.

Woptendo posted:

Gonna pick up Dissidia 012: Duodecim. Is there any extra content in Prologus that makes it worth buying?

No. But Duodecim is great.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kirios posted:

I tried and tried and couldn't get into Dishonored. Something about taking 1-2 hours to go through a mission without any alarms or kills and find out at the end that there was a random alarm triggered somewhere for me to go "Yup...gently caress this!"

I really hope the second game tells you when you've killed or set an alarm off because that is the most frustrating poo poo ever in a stealth game.

Don't play that way, getting caught and trying to escape is honestly one of the most thrilling things in that game. Treating it like a game over does a disservice to the game.

My most fond memories of Dishonored are getting caught and using all my powers at once and chugging mana potions to keep up the constant blinks stabbing people along the way

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Warning to anyone wanting to buy Sleeping Dogs on PS4: I bought it couple weeks ago on a Squeenix sale we had on the EU Store and not only is it capped at 30 FPS, it also works at ~24 most of the time you're in an open space. I'm normally not bothere by bad framerates but god it was terrible.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I want to know what February's PS+ games are so I can post about them in an angry fashion.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Prologus gives you Aeris to assist in battle, but that's it. I also heard that if you're fighting Sephiroth his AI will constantly target her is she's on the field, which is a funny Easter egg if true.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I was an idiot and forgot to grab fibbage while it was a dollar. Dang it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

I want to know what February's PS+ games are so I can post about them in an angry fashion.

Episode one of whatever the latest telltale game is and some mega lovely indie game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BadAstronaut posted:

Go to metacritic and reverse sort the scores

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Take this with a pinch of salt, but I can see it happening. (EU Store but iirc they're normally the same).

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cable posted:

Warning to anyone wanting to buy Sleeping Dogs on PS4: I bought it couple weeks ago on a Squeenix sale we had on the EU Store and not only is it capped at 30 FPS, it also works at ~24 most of the time you're in an open space. I'm normally not bothere by bad framerates but god it was terrible.

This is impressive considering it ran ok on the PS3

BadAstronaut posted:

You know I got Towerfall for free and played it with 4 people and it turns out it's incredibly fun. Would've never bought it but worked so well as a nice free thing for when a bunch of people are over.

I feel like they should give local multiplayer games for PS+

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is impressive considering it ran ok on the PS3

It is impressive. It literally looks and performs worse than GTA5 on a Xbox 360

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Hyperbole piled high

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cable posted:

I played it for several hours last night and the FPS looked buttery smooth so maybe you are just hypersensitive.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
PS+ Feb

Full Lineup:

Grid Autosport, PS3
Helldivers: Democracy Strikes Back , PS4, PS3, PS Vita
Lemmings Touch, PS Vita
Nom Nom Galaxy, PS4
Nova-111, PS Vita
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, PS3

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Isn't Persona 4 Arena one of those rare region locked games? If so, one game fewer for me as I have an Asian console.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Skeematic posted:

PS+ Feb

Full Lineup:

Grid Autosport, PS3
Lemmings Touch, PS Vita
Nom Nom Galaxy, PS4
Nova-111, PS Vita
Sweeeeeet, I'm glad I didn't pick up Helldivers and Nom Nom Galaxy on sale.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Skeematic posted:

PS+ Feb

Full Lineup:

Grid Autosport, PS3
Lemmings Touch, PS Vita
Nom Nom Galaxy, PS4
Nova-111, PS Vita

Happy with this month just for Persona 4 (I got the DLC characters but sold the game off) and Helldrivers which I heard is pretty fun.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I played it for several hours last night and the FPS looked buttery smooth so maybe you are just hypersensitive.

I'm not sure about that, I've played Bloodborne for about 20 hours and I was never bothered even though that's a game people normally complain in regards to performance. Also, if you google "sleeping dogs ps4 performance" you'll find that I'm unfortunately not the only documented case.

That said, I know some people just get used to lower fps very fast so it might not be a deal breaker for those, but for me it would've been.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Isn't Persona 4 Arena one of those rare region locked games? If so, one game fewer for me as I have an Asian console.

Ultimax is region-free, only the original version is region-locked.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I would never go so far to call Sleeping Dogs framerate "buttery smooth" but I definitely think it's completely a non-factor unless you're sensitive to that sort of thing. It was about on par with Bloodborne for me. Running off a disc if that means anything.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Helldivers is only multiplayer or does it have a single player mode?

Kind of jazzed for Ultimax, never got around to buying that one.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I bought Ultimax when it was on sale a week or two ago. It was only like $16, but still.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You can play it single player but it is extremely challenging because I don't think the difficulty scales. It can be really exciting but it's probably not the way to play Helldivers.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nom Nom is clunky. And I already own Helldivers. But you guys are gonna get at least one good game this month! :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ultimax is cool, and now that it's a Plus game there might be more than 4 people online at any given time

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Don't play that way, getting caught and trying to escape is honestly one of the most thrilling things in that game. Treating it like a game over does a disservice to the game.

My most fond memories of Dishonored are getting caught and using all my powers at once and chugging mana potions to keep up the constant blinks stabbing people along the way

I enjoy playing stealth games going through as a silent ninja of sorts choking people out and working as if no one knows I existed. Deus Ex had a similar problem but made stealth significantly more fun than Dishonored. It felt like the worst way to play Dishonored because it was, and since that's the way I prefer to play stealth games it turned out to be a game that I did not care for at all. I love the premise of it, and I really hope Dishonored 2 does better by it next time. Again, going through a mission for 1-2 hours only to find out someone drowned in a puddle or an alarm got triggered because someone found a sleeping body halfway across the map despite him never going through that area previously and causing you to fail a perfect run is terrible, terrible design. I have hopes that it will be fixed.

Edit 2: Metal Gear Solid V, and hell, even Metal Gear Solid IV were both far superior to Dishonored in stealth as well. The new Thief, in my personal opinion, was also superior.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Skeematic posted:

PS+ Feb

Whoa, is that the all inclusive DLC version?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Kind of jazzed for Ultimax, never got around to buying that one.
from checking out reviews/videos it does have a single player mode that is different strategically but it's just not going to be as fun as multiplayer. like the exact opposite of a good single player game with mp tacked on

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

mrEkli posted:

Whoa, is that the all inclusive DLC version?

Was wondering the same. I own the base game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

strategery posted:

Was wondering the same. I own the base game.

No. Democracy Strikes Back is the current version of the base game. The DLC version was like "Super-Earth Ultimate Edition" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Witness trip report:

- More obtuse than Myst
- look not inverted by default
- cannot change mouselook speed
- cannot jump or fall off ledges
- no background music
- the most colorful non-Nintendo game since Viva Pinata
- no explanation on solving puzzles, though the solutions are rather intuitive
- absolutely beautiful

Streamed 78 panels solved before calling it a night.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 27, 2016

• Locked thread