Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
The WeinCell 625 batteries are supposed to last a couple months of continuous shooting. You can get them on Amazon but they're an "add-on" item so they won't just ship you a single battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
They are also expensive considering their lifespan. They expire after a few months even when not in use. That's true for all zinc-air batteries though, which makes the hearing aid ones way more economical.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

fun times on deck

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I think the parallax correction on this thing might be out of wack. The frame moves but the second image stays static. Might be able to post a video..

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

I think the parallax correction on this thing might be out of wack. The frame moves but the second image stays static. Might be able to post a video..

Are you talking about the center rangefinder patch? It's supposed to stay in place.

e: Or do you mean you can't even focus it.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BANME.sh posted:

They are also expensive considering their lifespan. They expire after a few months even when not in use. That's true for all zinc-air batteries though, which makes the hearing aid ones way more economical.

You can buy the weincell once to get the nice metal ring they have on it, then pop the battery out when it's dead and use it with regular hearing aid batteries after that. That way you get a nicely machined metal ring instead of using rubber.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Mest0r posted:

Are you talking about the center rangefinder patch? It's supposed to stay in place.

e: Or do you mean you can't even focus it.

It won't focus in the sense that the secondary image that you're supposed to line up by adjusting the focus lever does not move right to left.

In this video you can see the two images of the vase line up when the focus is being adjusted, in my case the parallax image stays still.

http://youtu.be/ZUUrZFkgxQo

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Thoogsby posted:

It won't focus in the sense that the secondary image that you're supposed to line up by adjusting the focus lever does not move right to left.

In this video you can see the two images of the vase line up when the focus is being adjusted, in my case the parallax image stays still.

http://youtu.be/ZUUrZFkgxQo

If the frame is moving, that's the parallax correction and it's working. It sounds more like the rangefinder patch, however, is not.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

If the frame is moving, that's the parallax correction and it's working. It sounds more like the rangefinder patch, however, is not.

Thanks, I'll see if someone on APUG knows how to fix it. Otherwise I can return it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the XA2 is cool and good, even with a crap photographer like me

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Thoogsby posted:

fun times on deck

Did you ever get anything back from that 1600?? I'm curious to see if it looks different across different cameras!!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Did you ever get anything back from that 1600?? I'm curious to see if it looks different across different cameras!!

Had to send it off for a repair but I just got it back, should have some soon!

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

I just finished shooting 24 frames on my Olympus XA to realize there was no film in it. At least it fit in my pocket easily.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Canonet QL17 + Portra 800

img613 by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 27, 2016

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

this seems like it might be a tad underexposed

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
Yeah, I've pushed the exposure a bit in post there, the roll was a bit underexposed.

edit: flickr's sharpening sure is obnoxious with grainy or noisy b/w photos

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I got this from shooting Natura with a Minolta X700

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Untitled-(49) by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 9, 2016

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 6, 2016

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
65190034.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Finally actually scanning some stuff from the Yashica T4 Super I picked up for $20. :getin:

Untitled by Drew Davis, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

So I wrote some words and took some 35mm point and shoot pictures at CPAC. Maybe you'll like them? Couldn't find a better home for them than Medium:

https://medium.com/@simonzacharychetrit/a-shadow-is-looming-over-cpac-d84e78133255#.vbl838usa

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So I wrote some words and took some 35mm point and shoot pictures at CPAC. Maybe you'll like them? Couldn't find a better home for them than Medium:

https://medium.com/@simonzacharychetrit/a-shadow-is-looming-over-cpac-d84e78133255#.vbl838usa

Cool. I would love for someone to do a whole project on just the partying at CPAC.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

Cool. I would love for someone to do a whole project on just the partying at CPAC.

I'm still trying to get credentialed for the RNC. Won't be much partying there, more like suicidal drunkenness, but hey, they still won't take a tiny pink camera seriously so :shrug:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

rad man!

I've been using your piece on Natura to sell as many people as I can on the film. Haven't had a chance to shoot any myself yet!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Untitled-(107) by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

Untitled-(143) by Benjamin Gibb, on Flickr

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 19, 2016

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

You should post this in the street photography thread

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I bought these at the weekend from fleamarkets here in Kyiv.

Zenit-E by Iain Compton, on Flickr

This one has a dead lightmeter (it's an uncoupled selenium meter) but is otherwise in perfect condition. The shutter moves like a train. Moscow Olympics special edition and a Helios 44-2 58mm f2 lens. Mmmm... Bokehlicious.

FED 3 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

This one came with the box and original receipts, manuals and 'passports'. It has an Industar 52mm f2.8 lens on it and cost someone 49.5 Roubles in 1974. Again, the camera is in perfect condition.
I've shot a roll of Portra 400 in the Zenit and will be getting it back from the lab in a week or so.

Paid $40 for the pair.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Do you know why your exposure is faded along the bottom like that? Everything I take in low light with my Minolta XD11 comes out with the same effect...

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Do you know why your exposure is faded along the bottom like that? Everything I take in low light with my Minolta XD11 comes out with the same effect...

Your light seals probably need replacing. And -- or it's a friction exposure and the low signal/noise ratio of an already underexposed picture makes it more visible. I get it on 120 film with various cameras, too. First time to see it on 135 though.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I replaced the seals and have been banging my head trying to come up with an alternative answer. It may be that I did a poo poo job resealing the weird jog in seam on the upper part of the XD11 back, but I've also had issues with the take-up spool scratching negatives, which I fixed with a file and some buffing. I've never heard of friction exposure before, but it sounds pretty self-explanatory. Maybe it's getting rubbed as it goes onto the spool..

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This is baller. loving awesome.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The negative was creased lenghtwise, I think my scanner picked up a reflection. The other photos don't have this.

e: I had a print done at a shop and there's the same thing at the bottom except the photo looks shittier than my flatbed scan, which is quite a feat.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 26, 2016

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006