Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ted Cruz, casually carrying around his full-sized replica Constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

A superintendent for the Georgia education system just got fired when it was discovered he was posting all kinds of racist/insane right wingery on his public facebook page

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local-education/democrat-calls-on-gop-school-chief-to-fire-faceboo/nqCcK/

Why am I posting this here? Well after I read the news article I couldn't help but notice a familiar face listed prominently right alongside images threatening to lynch the president . . .

This doesn't surprise me in the least. Branco is pretty prolific because he is a stupid racist idiot at the core, and never lets things like facts, self-awareness or comedic timing get in his way. He resonates a lot with a certain demographic.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 27, 2016

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

alnilam posted:

"Sharia law in the US!!" conspiracy nuts will never not make me laugh.

We need to stop Sharia law in the US and also force women against their will to be incubators and ban everyone but Christian immigrants and, etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's funny is that there are already American communities under oppressive theocratic ultraorthodox religious rule and you never hear a peep about it from the right.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Why is Al-Assad holding up the us constitution?

Kirschen:

quote:

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump abruptly announced here Tuesday that he would not participate in Thursday’s scheduled debate, escalating his off-and-on feud with Fox News Channel and throwing the GOP campaign into turmoil.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

What's funny is that there are already American communities under oppressive theocratic ultraorthodox religious rule and you never hear a peep about it from the right.

Some of them even voted for Santorum or Huckabee

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Abe Vigoda died, that's probably it.

A combination of that, as well as the fact that people are upset that a number of films with non-white leads weren't nominated for the second year in a row, if I am remembering correctly.

Huh. Marlon Brando was pretty cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Some of them even voted for Santorum or Huckabee

I'm not being "heh fundie Christians" I'm talking about Haredi communities.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Todd Rool posted:

Despite her weak opponent, Hillary didn't do nearly as well as expected in liberal New York. She only carried a few counties.

This is some straight up ebert_eulogy.txt poo poo right here.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Ted Cruz, casually carrying around his full-sized replica Constitution.

Backwards, no less.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

zoux posted:

How common are cases of people being pressured into signing religious arbitration agreements in the US? Like, literal Sharia Law, but with Christians? I know there was a case about a kid getting the choice of a Christian drug program or jail, and having no legal rights when it turned that the program wanted to cure his being gay, but that seemed like an outlier.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is there a point to the GOP debates anymore? I've lost track of how many there's been and all that's newsworthy about them is that the networks get to pick who they throw into the kid's table.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Is there a point to the GOP debates anymore? I've lost track of how many there's been and all that's newsworthy about them is that the networks get to pick who they throw into the kid's table.

Honestly there isn't really a point to the Democratic ones either, all the candidates have been basically saying the same things over and over since the first one not featuring Webb or Chafee (the town-hall one this week was good though)

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

colonel_korn posted:

One more late-breaking cartoon:

lol at the notion that Ted Cruz would do anything other than maintain the status quo of looking the other way when Saudi Arabia commits human rights abuses.
Also jesus christ the hook nose on that arab guy :eyepop:

Cruz might have taken the constitution, but he is not wearing a t-shirt that declares his <3 for Apple Pie and Ice Cream like Glen Beck.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

D.N. Nation posted:

We need to stop Sharia law in the US and also force women against their will to be incubators and ban everyone but Christian immigrants and, etc.

I'm really bummed that there was no lawsuit against a state that passed an amendment saying "No Sharia law," to contest their no-gay marriage, no treating women like non-livestock Sharia laws, which makes them unconstitutional.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Brando: True Then, True Now

I don't know if this is related to any news story. Last week Two Bulls drew something about DiCaprio's acceptance speech at the Golden Globes, so maybe it's that?
Also those hands look awkward.

Marlon Brando is my favourite actor (could you tell???) and an incredibly interesting figure when it comes to this kind of stuff. There's numerous quotes from him like this. That's despite the fact he had a role in yellowface (in The Teahouse of the August Moon) and starred in Reflections in a Golden Eye, a film with a very stereotypical Filipino houseboy, although that character was probably the most likable in the movie.

He said similar things about gender, prizing sensitivity while acknowledging his own masculine urges and (of course) embodying so many icons of "traditional" masculinity. It's just a reminder of how complex people can be on political issues, and how even the most progressive person still has to live in an imperfect society and absorbs its values to some degree. That's why that "your fave is problematic" poo poo is so grating.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

seiferguy posted:

Beyond preaching to the choir, not really. They do allow candidates to whip up excitement from thier supporters and take potshots at each other. Especially the GOP which thrives on displays of childish bravado, unbridled bigotry, and general bluster that they so thrive on these days. Being able to deflect actual questions by accusing the moderators of bias is a double bonus as it lets them score points by playing into the all-consuming persecution complex their voters tend to have while squashing any actual logic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Trogdos! posted:

I was going to say the same. He even has those weird flappy elf ears.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jay Rust posted:

I don't know if this is related to any news story. Last week Two Bulls drew something about DiCaprio's acceptance speech at the Golden Globes, so maybe it's that?

After the protest by African-Americans for the lack of black representation in hollywood, people started talking about this again as an example that this isn't the first time this has been an issue.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Marlon Brando is my favourite actor (could you tell???) and an incredibly interesting figure when it comes to this kind of stuff. There's numerous quotes from him like this. That's despite the fact he had a role in yellowface (in The Teahouse of the August Moon) and starred in Reflections in a Golden Eye, a film with a very stereotypical Filipino houseboy, although that character was probably the most likable in the movie.

He just might have drawn from this professional experience when he listed "the leering Filipino houseboy" among the various harmful stereotypes.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Trogdos! posted:

Kirschen:

Some sort of irony behind Kirschen pining for an ubermensch...can't quite remember what though.

Misty Din
Nov 13, 2012
Does Trump still count as Aryan if it's a blonde toupee and blue eyes?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What the hell is the hurtful stereotype of the philipino houseboy?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Weak first panel saved by fantastic 2nd and 3rd

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Krinkle posted:

I'm not sure of a good example, but apparently the sterotype is that Filipinos are displayed as devoted but impotent sidekicks that are eager to please (usually someone who's white). It was much more prevalent during Brando's career.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Back in the pre-70s era, it was common for Asian men, especially on the west coast, to work as house servants. Chinese, Japanese, or Filipino "houseboys" were common figures in the media, and were invariably depicted as weak, effeminate, and of course completely devoted to their wise white masters.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

RagnarokAngel posted:

After the protest by African-Americans for the lack of black representation in hollywood, people started talking about this again as an example that this isn't the first time this has been an issue.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU

No one's going to name check Sacheen Littlefeather?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacheen_Littlefeather

(she's the one in the video above)

Krinkle posted:

What they said but also with buck teeth and a Mickey-Rooney broken-engrish accent on top.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

colonel_korn posted:

2 "Let me tell you how Hillary Clinton has never accomplished anything," said the guy most notable for making a living by cartooning, despite not being able to draw.

More of America voted Republican Obama is a liar!

unless you scale for population.

Oh, and before you whine about unfair bias against rural states...

here it is scaled to electoral college votes. Rural has a greater-than-population say.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Unfortunate trunk placement for the elephant on the left.

I seriously love that Branco keeps putting Wile E. Coyote signs in the hands of his villains. I always read them as "ain't I a stinker?", which works especially well with the facial expression he always gives the sign holder.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Weldon Pemberton posted:

He said similar things about gender, prizing sensitivity while acknowledging his own masculine urges and (of course) embodying so many icons of "traditional" masculinity. It's just a reminder of how complex people can be on political issues, and how even the most progressive person still has to live in an imperfect society and absorbs its values to some degree. That's why that "your fave is problematic" poo poo is so grating.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

KillerJunglist posted:

I seriously love that Branco keeps putting Wile E. Coyote signs in the hands of his villains. I always read them as "ain't I a stinker?", which works especially well with the facial expression he always gives the sign holder.

I'm glad I'm not the only one

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Rorus Raz posted:

The funny thing is that Rall's doing exactly what conservatives did after Obama won and posting a map of the country's vote that's mostly red because it ignores population density.

And he's starting to draw for Putin's new propaganda outlet. Is Rall just plain conservative now? When was the last time he made a cartoon not about how the Democratic party blah blah drones purple man bad?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

And he's starting to draw for Putin's new propaganda outlet. Is Rall just plain conservative now? When was the last time he made a cartoon not about how the Democratic party blah blah drones purple man bad?

Todd did draw a few making fun of Trump. At least, I think it was Trump. Could've just been some guy. With Toad, you never know!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mister Olympus posted:

Can you blame him? The republican news casts are the only ones kind enough to invite him. He doesn't know why yet.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Rall's Trump looks exactly like an angry Conan O'Brien

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

And he's starting to draw for Putin's new propaganda outlet.
Do you mean RT or something else? Are they just posting his normal cartoons or is he doing dedicated stuff for them?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

D.N. Nation posted:

Todd did draw a few making fun of Trump. At least, I think it was Trump. Could've just been some guy. With Toad, you never know!

There was one about how they're going to vote for him out of accelerationist pique.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CampingCarl posted:

Do you mean RT or something else? Are they just posting his normal cartoons or is he doing dedicated stuff for them?

His last cartoon had the sputnik news url on it, which is Russia's latest big propaganda site. Presumably he accepted because something something Snowdin something something drones.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jay Rust posted:

I think since it's talking about minority treatment in Hollywood as well as the treatment of Indians, it relates well to the best whitey awards - sorry, this year's Oscars.

Creed was loving robbed.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's a common right wing talking point, though. You'll see maps circulating around social media that are all "look at how Republican the nation is!" ignoring the fact that most Americans live in cities at this point. The counties that vote heavily Democrat are generally very densely populated while areas that vote Republican are often counties large by area that have low density; some have massive areas of no density with only a few people.

"Carrying a few counties" is also really all you need in New York when you consider that the state has about 20 million people but 8.5 million of them live in NYC. As America becomes increasingly urban you're going to see more and more elections being carried heavily by urban votes and the right screaming about how rural areas are "the real America."

Its also become common to say about Hillary Clinton on the right, to contrast with Ted Cruz, who fought an uphill battle to ride the tea party wave in loving Texas.

So my guess is that Rall is browsing LL101 now to find his content.

colonel_korn posted:

One more late-breaking cartoon:

lol at the notion that Ted Cruz would do anything other than maintain the status quo of looking the other way when Saudi Arabia commits human rights abuses.
Also jesus christ the hook nose on that arab guy :eyepop:

I'm amazed he didn't say Cruz loves baseball and apple pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's a common right wing talking point, though. You'll see maps circulating around social media that are all "look at how Republican the nation is!" ignoring the fact that most Americans live in cities at this point. The counties that vote heavily Democrat are generally very densely populated while areas that vote Republican are often counties large by area that have low density; some have massive areas of no density with only a few people.

"Carrying a few counties" is also really all you need in New York when you consider that the state has about 20 million people but 8.5 million of them live in NYC. As America becomes increasingly urban you're going to see more and more elections being carried heavily by urban votes and the right screaming about how rural areas are "the real America."

It's also led to this strange situation where the staunchest supporters of "local control" have started passing laws to preemptively prevent cities and counties from passing their own laws and ordinances.

• Locked thread