Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
What is a glamour? I'm only level 45 so I'm sure it won't matter to me for months but I still wanna know, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
When you hit level 50 you get a quest in More Doughnuts that unlocks "Glamour", which allows you to apply different skins to your armour.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Luminous Cow posted:

What is a glamour? I'm only level 45 so I'm sure it won't matter to me for months but I still wanna know, man.

When you hit 50, you can unlock a way to make your armor take the appearance of other armor. You get to play catgirl dress up. The true end game.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

I will get there one day. What's up with the picture everyone is posting in front of the spinning light thing? Is that some kind of Proof of Endgame?

Also, a question. On my PS4, my FFXIV clearly says Heavensward, but I know it's not. I couldn't make an Au Ra. Is Heavensward an Add On I can patch in later? Because I'm looking at the store and all I see is the Heavensward Standard Edition for $40. But like...surely the expansion isn't $40, right?

I think they just updated the launcher icon to reflect the game is in the Heavensward phase of things.

Yes, HW itself is 40 bucks for the standard edition (60 for the digital CE, which gives you a free fantasia, wind-up Kain, a gryphon mount and a few FF4 themed glamour pieces) but both the PC and PS4 expansions have been on sale recently for half price. Amazon right now has the PS4 Heavensward disc on sale for 28 bucks and I assume you would just get a code with that to unlock the expansion on your account.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

seiferguy posted:

When you hit 50, you can unlock a way to make your armor take the appearance of other armor. You get to play catgirl dress up. The true end game.

I will have the cutest goddamned lalafell

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Luminous Cow posted:

I will have the cutest goddamned lalafell

Lalafells are pretty adorable.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
They also recently patched it so you can glamour using multi-slot items.

Nothing inspires confidence in your roulette groups like showing up to tank or heal in a chocobo suit or ghost costume.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm new to the game and trying to wrap my head around the armoury system. Is there any downside to switching classes? For instance, I started with an Archer. What if I want to then try a Thaumaturge? Is there any benefit to rolling a new character as opposed to just changing classes on my existing character?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The only reason why you would want an alt is because lockouts.

Otherwise, no. You can play EVERY SINGLE JOB IN THIS GAME, on one character.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The only reason to roll a new character is to see the starting story in a different nation than the one you started in.

Not only is there no penalty for changing classes, there's in fact an XP bonus towards leveling any class that's a lower level than your highest level class. (Excluding gathering and crafting classes - those do not guess those bonuses.)

Edit: Oh yeah, raid lockout stuff that people running the endgame raids care about. I forgot about that.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Plus, a lot of skills can be used across classes. So the more you level, the more options you have.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Is there any adverse effect stat-wise? If I am pumping points into DEX and I switch to an INT based class, do I get kind of gimpy or do you get a different pool of stat points for each class?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ehud posted:

I'm new to the game and trying to wrap my head around the armoury system. Is there any downside to switching classes? For instance, I started with an Archer. What if I want to then try a Thaumaturge? Is there any benefit to rolling a new character as opposed to just changing classes on my existing character?

Get on the Excalibur server to join the rest of us goons.There's a small handful of other FF posters on that server. If don't want to wait as long through a dungeon queue, just mention in FC chat that you are offering a newbie bonus for that dungeon and you will be flooded with requests to join your party.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you need an alt for raid lockout purposes you will know when you get there. Otherwise, enjoy the everything-on-one-character style, and if you get real bored with your character's race, chug a fantasia.

I find that the lack of alts also helps build the community feel since it avoids the "Is that a new player or someone's tenth alt?" awkwardness.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ehud posted:

Is there any adverse effect stat-wise? If I am pumping points into DEX and I switch to an INT based class, do I get kind of gimpy or do you get a different pool of stat points for each class?

Stat points are used per-class. Just pump it into the main stat for your class.

There is only one exception: arcanist. It can turn into both a healing and dps jobs at lvl 30 but they use that same bonus stat pool so you have to pick which one you are going to be best at.

e: it is also super easy and cheap to reset your points. It costs 250 seals that you get from participating in FATEs

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Ehud posted:

Stat points are class-specific. The only time this matters is for Scholar/Summoner and even then it doesn't really matter and there's a cheap stat bonus reset item you can use anyway.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Ehud posted:

or do you get a different pool of stat points for each class?

It's this

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Well dang. My brother and I just started playing on PS4 and we created alts because we didn't realize the stats were per-class. Guess we'll jump back on our mains who are rolled on Excalibur.

Luckily we haven't done too much leveling of any class.

Thanks for the info guys!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also go to ffgoons.com, make an account, and join third party tools. Follow the instructions at ffgoons please because it makes it easier to verify people.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also go to ffgoons.com, make an account, and join third party tools. Follow the instructions at ffgoons please because it makes it easier to verify people.

Yeah, be sure to do this, Ehud. Third Party Tools is the name of the goon guild that specializes in helping new players. If your brother doesn't have an SA account, you can sponsor him, too.

e: It should be noted that guilds in this game can give buffs to all guild members, helping you level faster, teleport cheaper, etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Plus there are a number of us that have way too much time/gil on our hands and will just poo poo out any gear you need at pretty much any level.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You are spoiled for choice as a newbie goon on Excalibur. I can't speak towards PBC but TPT is helpful and DGKK also helps the sprouts a bunch, so I think wherever you land you will be set. There is also migration between the FCs too.

I think the biggest challenge new players have with the goon FCs is feeling bad about or not wanting to speak up asking for help or a dungeon run. This is by no means a MMO where you are ignored unless you hit level cap, so be vocal!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The helpfulness of PBC goons is a large part of the reason my journey from buying the game to running void ark only took 2 weeks.

If you need help. Ask. Almost all times of the day you can find someone that will help you do poo poo. Myself included in that. Join the Discord as well. Plenty of people pay attention to it all the time.

E: Especially when you have poetics trials/dungeons to run. People will flock to the newbie bonus like flies on poo poo. Just ask.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 27, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ehud posted:

Well dang. My brother and I just started playing on PS4 and we created alts because we didn't realize the stats were per-class. Guess we'll jump back on our mains who are rolled on Excalibur.

Luckily we haven't done too much leveling of any class.

Thanks for the info guys!

Honestly, stat allocation from leveling up isn't too big of a deal, and there will be an item available fairly shortly (when you join a grand company) that will allow you to reset your stat allocation for each class.

Join DGKK and we can be TFF light warrior bros together :haw:

Tortolia posted:

If you need an alt for raid lockout purposes you will know when you get there. Otherwise, enjoy the everything-on-one-character style, and if you get real bored with your character's race, chug a fantasia.

I find that the lack of alts also helps build the community feel since it avoids the "Is that a new player or someone's tenth alt?" awkwardness.

Well... there is one person in DGKK that has many alts.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 27, 2016

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So guys, any flare advice? The mp cost is something to get used to.

E:im not using it willy nilly, just in an AOE rotation it feels weird.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
All healers in A4 normal. Stop telling dps to do balls for you.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I've never seen a dps grab a ball. Always the SCH / OT (probably because I'm the SCH or the OT).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

New people really ought to read the OP. It's full of useful answers to common questions!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Belzac posted:

Uhhhh if I'm grabbing balls how do you expect me to sit here and spam Cure for the entire fight?

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

Belzac posted:

Tanks going for balls at all is actually the most annoying thing.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Cast Fire II until you can't or another Fire II would put you under the minimum Flare cost, then Flare and transpose. At that point I think you want to start casting Fire III after you see an MP tick but I'm not completely sure that it's better than tossing a blizzard to top off your MP entirely.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just started the Hildibrand quests and it almost makes up for the 2.x bullshit just to get into Ishgard.

I'd almost say I want this as the story instead of Pray Returning x 1000, but I think part of the charm is having this goofy poo poo in a world of stiff Ren Faire assholes.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

New people really ought to read the OP. It's full of useful answers to common questions!

ya but nobody mentioned how swinging the sword on DRK sounds like a light saber :pusheen:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Klades posted:

Cast Fire II until you can't or another Fire II would put you under the minimum Flare cost, then Flare and transpose. At that point I think you want to start casting Fire III after you see an MP tick but I'm not completely sure that it's better than tossing a blizzard to top off your MP entirely.

Yeah I always top off my mp before a new Astral phase.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Agraya posted:

Tanks going for balls at all is actually the most annoying thing.

Why? An OT can pop a cooldown and usually eat 3 of them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

AOE is super easy. Fire 3 -> Fire 2 x2 -> Flare -> Transpose -> Repeat. Use Swiftcast on Flare when possible, and use Convert and Max Ethers for additional Flares.

Klades posted:

It's better to wait for the tic and hardcast Fire 3. Flare is your highest DPS attack by a long shot, and your rotation is constrained by the 12 second cooldown on Transpose, so you want to be hitting Flare every 12 seconds ideally.

seiferguy posted:

And the healer can just heal themselves between grabbing balls. It's easier for the healers because obviously they're expecting the damage, rather than having some jerk running around taking a ton of damage trying to be a hero.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 27, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DPS grabbing the balls was a thing veeeerrrrry early in the alex normal cycle, where literally everyone except the tanks grabbed one since nobody was geared high enough tat the time o take more than two. Hasn't been a thing for a long time, though.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fister Roboto posted:

And the healer can just heal themselves between grabbing balls. It's easier for the healers because obviously they're expecting the damage, rather than having some jerk running around taking a ton of damage trying to be a hero.

And, invariably, grabbing Nisi off of you while trying to be a hero, then passing it back to you.. and everyone else.

Here's to you, lovely offtanks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

Oh hey, I just crit adlo, I can DPS while I eat these 3 b.. Oh, this brutard decided to eat them instead, I guess I'll waste some more GCDs/MP and/or stacks now.

This is especially fun in phase 3 with healer aids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Ok, great advice. I have to tackle my first 8 man tonight.

• Locked thread