Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

I feel as if the Let's Talk campaign gives people an "excuse" to point to when they are unsatisfied with their lives, instead of finding out the true cause of their issues.

Someone may be depressed because they are under the crushing boot of capitalism as a wage slave.

With the campaign they can see "oh it's not the system of society keeping me depressed, it's my own brain and there is nothing I can do about it".

Unfortunately I dislike the campaign because it really encourages people to "out" themselves, and as someone who struggles with mental issues it's something I'd like to keep to myself because it can really effect how people perceive and interact with you. The stigma is still around, it may not be as malicious, but it is almost infantilizing.

I have to question the end goal of the campaign, what do they hope to achieve? Getting people to accept that they have issues or to try and eliminate the issues?

LGBT rights and acceptance didnt happen over night and in total silence. A big part of that is getting people to talk about it at all. You cant even start towards helping people if no discussions take place.

I see a lot of people with varying degrees of mental illness at my job and it still boggles my mind at how many of them have family and close friends that are unaware of their conditions because they feel like its a topic they need to keep to themselves. That helps no one, and in a lot of cases can actually exacerbate the problem. I dont care if theyre doing it for monetary reasons at this point, Canadian culture is horrible when it comes to mental illness awareness and prevention and I am at a point where I would accept any reason to get the topic on the table again.

Maybe this will lead to rolling back the Harper cuts to full time beds for people dealing with serious mental illness. There are less than 1 million beds available across the entire country. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Maybe this will lead to rolling back the Harper cuts to full time beds for people dealing with serious mental illness. There are less than 1 million beds available across the entire country. :smith:

You're going to have to elaborate on that a bit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sliderule posted:

Then, when the mental health professional has nothing to rebut your claim that human existence is hollow and meaningless, kill yourself! Or don't, it really doesn't matter. #BellLetsTalk

Why is existence being hollow and meaningless uniformly seen as a bad thing? I rather like the fact that life is a blank canvas devoid of all meaning. There'd be a horrible amount of pressure otherwise, don't you think?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PT6A posted:

Why is existence being hollow and meaningless uniformly seen as a bad thing? I rather like the fact that life is a blank canvas devoid of all meaning. There'd be a horrible amount of pressure otherwise, don't you think?
One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A million is a lot of beds maybe come up with more precise numbers to demonstrate the impact of lack of funding.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Why is existence being hollow and meaningless uniformly seen as a bad thing?

Why is death uniformly seen as a bad thing?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

You're going to have to elaborate on that a bit.

Some basic info on numbers (a bit out of date sadly in some cases):
http://www.cmha.ca/media/fast-facts-about-mental-illness/#.VqkA8FKUSUk
http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/about_camh/newsroom/for_reporters/Pages/addictionmentalhealthstatistics.aspx

Basically, the number of Canadians affected by mental health is growing at an alarming rate, especially in youth, while funding for treatment and prevention is falling. Mental health is the second largest cost on our health care system and costs employers billions in lost time and production but funding for it has been cut ever year to the point its at now, which is roughly 7% of all funding. The cuts largely affect long term facilities, mostly in rural areas, and any new ones that are created are short term that treat only the current crisis which leads to people either being turned away or being released early.

e: The article about the million beds was from a 2011 report but Ill be damned if I can find it again. Ill go through my old school notes when I get home form work to find it since I used it as a reference in one of my papers.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 27, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Why is existence being hollow and meaningless uniformly seen as a bad thing?

Goddamn that's depressing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

Agreed, the quest for some overwhelming purpose is what leads folks to religion after all - among other things. Better, in my opinion, to accept that there is no underlying reason for ones existence. A fortunate cosmic accident.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

Goddamn that's depressing.

No it's not. Sitting around and wondering why everything seems so arbitrary sounds depressing. Recognizing that life does not have an inherent meaning is the first step toward realizing that life can only ever have the meaning and purpose that we create for it ourselves.

I don't need to feel like I have some kind of special destiny or meaning to my life in order to enjoy it.

sliderule posted:

Why is death uniformly seen as a bad thing?

I don't think it is. At most, we're scared of it because no one knows what happens. Most of us don't want to die because we're mostly very attached to our own existence, and we don't want those around us to die because they enrich our lives, but ultimately it's the inevitable consequence of life itself. The inevitability of death only seems bad until you compare it to the alternative, immortality, which is unthinkably more frightening in my reckoning.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I said this last year but it's pretty gross when a corporation that rakes in $20,000,000,000 per year and was just in the news for simultaneously jacking up telephone prices on all its customers, uses language to the effect that they "count on you" to promote their brand and their preferred charitable cause. They should just shell out the dough without demanding the public promote their brand for free. They're obviously perfectly capable.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

#BellLet'sTalk about that time you were "very disappointed" because you were told to stop charging 911 service fees from customers that aren't receiving 911 service.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo guys I think our rodeo clown just discovered Albert Camus

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Some basic info on numbers (a bit out of date sadly in some cases):
http://www.cmha.ca/media/fast-facts-about-mental-illness/#.VqkA8FKUSUk
http://www.camh.ca/en/hospital/about_camh/newsroom/for_reporters/Pages/addictionmentalhealthstatistics.aspx

Basically, the number of Canadians affected by mental health is growing at an alarming rate, especially in youth, while funding for treatment and prevention is falling. Mental health is the second largest cost on our health care system and costs employers billions in lost time and production but funding for it has been cut ever year to the point its at now, which is roughly 7% of all funding. The cuts largely affect long term facilities, mostly in rural areas, and any new ones that are created are short term that treat only the current crisis which leads to people either being turned away or being released early.

e: The article about the million beds was from a 2011 report but Ill be damned if I can find it again. Ill go through my old school notes when I get home form work to find it since I used it as a reference in one of my papers.

Okay, don't bother looking for that report. The US doesn't even have a million, they're around 900,000. The idea of having one hospital bed per 35 people is crazy. The Barrie hospital would need 4,200 beds instead of the 300 that they actually have. Canada has around 70,000. Instead of the 1 per 35 than you're smithing for, we have 1 per 500.

Also, health is a provincial responsibility so blame Wynne not Harper. The money we spent on the pan am games would fully fund the CAMH for 7 years.

THC posted:

I said this last year but it's pretty gross when a corporation that rakes in $20,000,000,000 per year and was just in the news for simultaneously jacking up prices on all its customers (at the same time as its "competitors"), uses language to the effect that they "count on you" to promote their brand and their preferred charitable cause. They should just shell out the dough without demanding the public promote their brand for free. They're obviously perfectly capable.

That's gross revenue, their profit was only $2b.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I sound like a negative nelly but the campaign screams slacktivism.

Looking at my facebook feed right now, in the last 5 minutes there were 10 shares of the LetsTalk campaign without a single original comment.

I've tried to raise money for campaigns and causes such as Children's Help Phone, and it's like getting blood out of a stone.

In this campaign it doesn't even try to raise money to help any programs, it's just to talk about it. Talking about an issue is great, but it's not taking any progressive steps. It just gets people to feel like they've done something when in reality you are shouting into an echo chamber which Bell can use as targeted advertising later in the year.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Maybe if it was just #LetsTalk it wouldn't rub people the wrong way

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Holy poo poo guys I think our rodeo clown just discovered Albert Camus
That would explain why he didn't seem to recognize my reference.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
While on the subject of charities, if you want to get people donating, stop outsourcing to those loving rear end in a top hat charity muggers. I used to think amnesty intl and msf were good organizations but now they and oxfam, I am a girl and Greenpeace can get hosed into bankruptcy

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
There is nothing more existentially meaningless than the life of a Canadian in TYOOL 2016 #BellLetsTalk

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Okay, don't bother looking for that report. The US doesn't even have a million, they're around 900,000. The idea of having one hospital bed per 35 people is crazy. The Barrie hospital would need 4,200 beds instead of the 300 that they actually have. Canada has around 70,000. Instead of the 1 per 35 than you're smithing for, we have 1 per 500.

Also, health is a provincial responsibility so blame Wynne not Harper. The money we spent on the pan am games would fully fund the CAMH for 7 years.

Yeah the article I was referencing was comparing the estimated million beds the US had to our number and I was a dork for posting hard numbers before looking it up. That was all on me.

Also it would be McGuinty not Wynne for that time period (2001-2011). :v:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cultural Imperial posted:

While on the subject of charities, if you want to get people donating, stop outsourcing to those loving rear end in a top hat charity muggers. I used to think amnesty intl and msf were good organizations but now they and oxfam, I am a girl and Greenpeace can get hosed into bankruptcy

Take the humane society with them. Of course I know what you do, yes I've heard of you, go away.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

I sound like a negative nelly but the campaign screams slacktivism.

Looking at my facebook feed right now, in the last 5 minutes there were 10 shares of the LetsTalk campaign without a single original comment.

I've tried to raise money for campaigns and causes such as Children's Help Phone, and it's like getting blood out of a stone.

In this campaign it doesn't even try to raise money to help any programs, it's just to talk about it. Talking about an issue is great, but it's not taking any progressive steps. It just gets people to feel like they've done something when in reality you are shouting into an echo chamber which Bell can use as targeted advertising later in the year.
It kind of reminds me of Walmart Canada talking about phasing out free grocery bags, ostensibly in the name of environmentalism.

You can question whether the measure is effective or not, but that's a separate question from the authenticity of the motive for pursuing it.

In the case of Let's Talk it seems pretty hokey to me but I've seen some friends on Twitter that are talking about mental illness that they otherwise wouldn't be talking about.

The progress the initiative might not be easily/objectively measurable but it might still be a good thing. Also I thought Bell was giving 5 cents to mental health programs for every text and tweet (among other things) today, so you can't say "it doesn't even try to raise money to help any programs"?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah the article I was referencing was comparing the estimated million beds the US had to our number and I was a dork for posting hard numbers before looking it up. That was all on me.

Also it would be McGuinty not Wynne for that time period (2001-2011). :v:

Mike Harris was premier until 2002 so we should probably just blame him :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kenny Logins posted:

The progress the initiative might not be easily/objectively measurable but it might still be a good thing. Also I thought Bell was giving 5 cents to mental health programs for every text and tweet (among other things) today, so you can't say "it doesn't even try to raise money to help any programs"?

They could just prorate everyone to 100 texts and tweets sent per month and donate $5 per month to mental health programs

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Eej posted:

They could just prorate everyone to 100 texts and tweets sent per month and donate $5 per month to mental health programs
Prorate every Twitter user? That would be something.

At least the Twitter aspect doesn't require you to actually be a Bell customer, even if you have to shill with their dumb hashtag.

I think they're also giving 5 cents for every (Bell) phone call made today, too. Same logic would apply, of course.

e: According to the site, they're about to break 45 million eligible interactions. That's a lot of nickels.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 27, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

Mike Harris was premier until 2002 so we should probably just blame him :)

Harris at the end of his tenure was known for shutting down hospitals and reducing funding. McGuinty was further cuts (30% total if I remember correctly) and the hilarious eHealth scam.

We suck at electing premiers when it comes to health care management apparently.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

That would explain why he didn't seem to recognize my reference.

I recognized it, I just didn't comment on it.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 2, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

PT6A posted:

I recognized it, I just didn't comment on it.
Cool, now you sort of did. Anyway it's not like I disagree with your #BellLetsTalkCamus thoughts.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bell will just write off the donated $5M against its corporate taxes on its quarterly profits of $800M

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cowofwar posted:

Bell will just write off the donated $5M against its corporate taxes on its quarterly profits of $800M

The real numbers are closer to $10M and $400M, but yeah.

It's still a fuckton of money, it's going to do some good and if the only precondition is that we need to spend a day ignoring each other shilling for a product very few people actually, consciously choose to use or not use then fine.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ikantski posted:

If you see yourself as being under the crushing boot of capitalism, think of this as the nice fedora of capitalism that Liberal staffers can doff at you and say "mental health exists!" while their colleagues continue to freeze hospital and mental health center funding.
Bell suits ordered all their newspapers to endorse the Conservatives last election too. They'll support mental health charities but god forbid we have a government that supports universal healthcare, which is far more efficient and effective than charity

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 27, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

THC posted:

Bell suits ordered all their newspapers to endorse the Conservatives last election too.

For the record, Bell sold all 0.15 newspapers they owned last summer, before GlobeEndorsementGate ever happened.

edit: I think this whole BellLetsTalk gimmick is kind of silly (my kingdom for a hashtag mute on Twitter's web client) but charities getting money is, all else being equal, better than them not getting money so I don't have any particular problem with it existing on its own (even if it's as much advertising gimmick as charitable initiative, does anyone think it actually makes significant improvements to the public image of Bell Canada, of all companies?).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 27, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They also did it in the 2011 federal election, the 2014 Ontario election, and the May 2015 Alberta election. And CTV News (a Bell property) did that hatchet job on Stéphane Dion in 2008

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 27, 2016

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well you see, universal healthcare is about providing services for parasites while charity is about being generous and doing good from the bottom of your heart.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
charity conceptually is not being debated the thing people are complaining about is when corporations spend millions of dollars to advertise that they are giving thousands of dollars to charity

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Charity is actually bullshit. A fully funded, comprehensive, universal welfare state is the answer.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Private charity is extremely inefficient.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Reminder that the Conservative Party (Bell's preferred governing party) cried bloody murder when cities tried to establish safe injection sites, which are proven to reduce overdose and disease transmission in a population that suffers enormously from mental illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
THC is totally on the money here. Any benefit from corporate charity is more than outweighed by the negative impact that corporations have on our governance.

PT6A posted:

Not to say that I totally disagree with you but the glibness of this statement is foolhardy at best.

Because one day you won't be young anymore. Your body will no longer be this lithe, wonderful machine that attracts the opposite sex, responds swiftly to your commands and delivers the all the pleasures that your nerves can handle. Slowly it will become an ugly, liver spotted prison, full of constant aches and pains. The smoking you enjoy will become an terrible burden that produces hacking coughs. You drinking habit that you think you control might suddenly seize control of you. Meanwhile some of the people you depend on will fail you, others will even betray you. Something you banked on happening will fall through. A person you love will die without warning. Something that once brought you pleasure will now just make you feel empty and sad. Perhaps you will realize, too late, that you let the love of your life or your dream job or the best opportunity you'd ever have slip through your fingers years ago.

If you can get through that poo poo and still shrug and say "thank God life is a blank canvas devoid of all meaning" then more power to you. That's one of the objectives of many philosophers. But don't fool yourself into thinking that your worldview will always be as easy or as pleasant as it is right now during the spring or high summer of your brief mortal existence. Wait till you're old and ugly and weak and then see how you feel about the meaninglessness of your life.

THC posted:

Charity is actually bullshit. A fully funded, comprehensive, universal welfare state is the answer.

Yeah, if private citizens or corporations want to donate money to charitable causes then that is great but they shouldn't be allowed to duck out of their tax obligations by doing so.