Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

the spyder posted:

Chiropractor

Oh poo poo :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In all seriousness I wish there was basically a full-on Mazda version of an E30. Front-engine, rear drive sedan with a BP and dirt cheap NA/NB Miata mechanicals. Near zero market for such a thing, though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kastein posted:

Here are some recommendations:
- 95 or 99 jeep cherokee
- miata
- miata
- e30
- miata
- jeep grand wagoneer
- miata

She really, really wants a 4.0/5spd Wrangler. My biggest concern is child safety, mainly hearing damage. Plus we live in Oregon and she wants a soft top.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

She really, really wants a 4.0/5spd Wrangler. My biggest concern is child safety, mainly hearing damage. Plus we live in Oregon and she wants a soft top.

And what is the mileage on that? And the prices are high. And can you say cabin intrusion? I would veto that for wife and kids. Now for me...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

the spyder posted:

I mean, this is Automotive Insanity, but FWIW - the new Jeep Wranglers are pretty decent, I mean, your wife isn't going to do some hard core off roading, but the hard top isn't bad at all. You can easily remove the front for some easy open top motoring with out removing the entire thing. The new Wrangler is pretty drat civilized but still pretty capable.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've already veto' it as a daily replacement. Maybe after she gets a job we can find one for a weekend toy. She's always complaining about me having all the toys. Little does she know it's a disease.

Mini update: Got our first offer. $5700 Looks like I'll be calling the adjust or tomorrow. Her ribs started to hurt, so it's back to the hospital. Ugh.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

the spyder posted:

I've already veto' it as a daily replacement. Maybe after she gets a job we can find one for a weekend toy. She's always complaining about me having all the toys. Little does she know it's a disease.

Mini update: Got our first offer. $5700 Looks like I'll be calling the adjust or tomorrow. Her ribs started to hurt, so it's back to the hospital. Ugh.

That seems pretty low. But they are always going to low ball the poo poo out of you at first. Insurance is the loving worst.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I mean, this is Automotive Insanity, but FWIW - the new Jeep Wranglers are pretty decent

Not for driving 16k miles a year they aren't. Wranglers are horrible DD's unless you have a ten minute commute every day. Especially for a family, I had a Wrangler for a DD when I was a bachelor on the beach and rode my bike to work, even then it was a PITA sometimes.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 22, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Well, turns out she has cracked ribs. Ugh.

Insurance is going to be a pain. I was not specific when I told her to call and make a claim.... So she called our insurance (Prog). They made the offer. I'm going to have her call the other persons insurance and ask that they take over the claim/rental. I spoke with a former agent who confirmed we can do this. I believe in the long run it will work out better, that and apparently State Farm does not devalue rebuilt titles. I'm hoping we can get $7-8k for the car, which is much closer to market value. No idea how the injury side of this works. I just want to make sure she's covered now and down the road if there are any long term issues.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Not for driving 16k miles a year they aren't. Wranglers are horrible DD's unless you have a ten minute commute every day. Especially for a family, I had a Wrangler for a DD when I was a bachelor on the beach and rode my bike to work, even then it was a PITA sometimes.

The 4 door wheel base is 116" which is actually longer than my LR3 which is 113. They are not the same animal as what your thinking of, the new ones are actually bigger than an XJ, (hard to believe) on the 4 door models.

But the 2 door? yeah gently caress that for a family.

the spyder posted:

Well, turns out she has cracked ribs. Ugh.

Insurance is going to be a pain. I was not specific when I told her to call and make a claim.... So she called our insurance (Prog). They made the offer. I'm going to have her call the other persons insurance and ask that they take over the claim/rental. I spoke with a former agent who confirmed we can do this. I believe in the long run it will work out better, that and apparently State Farm does not devalue rebuilt titles. I'm hoping we can get $7-8k for the car, which is much closer to market value. No idea how the injury side of this works. I just want to make sure she's covered now and down the road if there are any long term issues.

Rib injuries are the worst, because there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do. Hope things work out well!

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 22, 2016

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

the spyder posted:

How many miles were on it? I was about to roll over 100K in mine and they gave me almost 10.5 for it

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Nodoze posted:

How many miles were on it? I was about to roll over 100K in mine and they gave me almost 10.5 for it

147k? I don't think this thread goes far enough back, but I bought this car from an auction and rebuilt it myself with OEM parts. It has a rebuilt title and our agent said that immediately knocks 30% off the offer. That would mean they valued it at $8300 before title considerations, which seems fair. I'm hoping State Farm offers something in that range.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 22, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The 4 door wheel base is 116" which is actually longer than my LR3 which is 113. They are not the same animal as what your thinking of, the new ones are actually bigger than an XJ, (hard to believe) on the 4 door models.

But the 2 door? yeah gently caress that for a family.

She wants a 4.0, so that means YJ or TJ.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
drat, I hope your wife gets better soon :(

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

Hahahaha. No. Maybe if she didn't drive 16k a year and it got better then 15mpg I would consider it. I have been keeping a look out for one, but it's pretty slim pickings around here.

What do you mean, this one's in West Linn, looks great for an LS1 swap...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5376010211.html

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hope your wife feels better, man. I just got drilled a couple weeks ago but I was lucky enough to walk away unscathed.

For what it's worth, new Mazda 6es are available with a 6 speed and a 3-pedal and I'm very happy with mine so far. It's no hatch, but the trunk is deep and the back seat is surprisingly roomy for me (6'1").

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Raluek posted:

She wants a 4.0, so that means YJ or TJ.

Hurf durf I missed the 4.0 part

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'll skip the insurance rant for now, but if there's one type of company that can make my blood boil- it's an insurance company.

Back to my regular scheduled (in)sanity.

I made another bad decision.

You know those moments where you find yourself on craigslist for no reason. Maybe it's because you're bored. Maybe it's because you have $1k burning a hole in your pocket. Or maybe it's because your taking a dump. Well, I found myself waiting for a friend in a Elmers parking lot Saturday and found this. "$800 1988 Mazda Rx-7 Turbo II Black Clean Title" Hurm... dare I even look? Posted 2 hours ago. The pictures showed a straight body, but no engine pictures. The ad only said a few things. 138k, 5spd. Needs seats. Ran recently. Bad ignition. Can include trailer if price is right. I thought about it for a few minutes and called the guy. He said the car had been sitting. Lost power driving down the road one day. Him and his friend bought it for a parts. He had to go, but would call me later. Later that night he called and said someone was coming at 9am to look at it. I wanted this car. I don't know why, but I agreed to meet him at 11pm 2 hours south of me in a parking lot. I grabbed two friends and the trailer and hit the road.

When we arrived, the car was trashed. Half the engine was in the seats, with the rest of the interior taken apart stacked on it. The drivers window was out. There was a soft ball dent in the rear passenger quarter panel. The ignition and keys were missing. His friend took the 5 lug swap, mirrors, and spoiler. But that wasn't the worst part. I took one look at the disassembled engine bay and quietly cursed to myself. A quick spin of the now exposed, belt-less front pulley confirmed my fears. It spun over effortlessly. No compression. My friends looked over the car with flashlights as I bullshitted with the seller. He was firm on price. I looked it over again and decided gently caress it. I can make my money back just in parts. We settled on $750 and loaded up in the most AI way possible. Backing trailer to trailer. The best part was, the guys older cousin was with him. He backed up my trailer to theirs within an 1" on each side. We were amazed, well- until we realized how poo poo-faced drunk he was. It was only at this point the seller told us about the shots of Crown Royal and three beers his cousin took before leaving. Just as we left, the seller let me know his friend wrecked the car they bought the parts for and I could get what I wanted off the wrecked car. Welp.

Sooooo. It's a piece of poo poo, but I love it.

When light broke, I went outside to inspect my purchase. It has a few redeeming bits. The hood is straight, the fenders are straight, the cars never had paint work that I can tell (yet). The interior was all there, minus a few small things.

Later that day a friend helped me unload it. After ~15 minutes of cleaning and testing we found the no-power issue. The electrical side of the ignition switch had become gummed up with some form of grease. It looked like some one tried to grease it with dielectric at some point? Someone had obviously been trying to troubleshoot it- the fuse block was taken out, body CPU missing. What a shame. A $60 part probably lead to this cars current condition. It's in overall good shape.

Tonight we're going to try and pull the motor.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really should unsub from this thread...now I want a FC again....Love the black one.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

:drat: that's a good looking car. I don't care for rotaries, but this thread is the tits for you being an autonecromancer and bringing these things back from the dead. Makes me want to find a dead-rear end d16 civic and bring that bitch back to life as a commuter box for my now-quadrupled distance commute (one way)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

find a dead-rear end d16 civic and bring that bitch back to life as a commuter box for my now-quadrupled distance commute (one way)

Do it, let's start a D-series Civic thread.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Do it, let's start a D-series Civic thread.

I'd love to, but I'd have to research 'frying pan' and 'upside the head' in the medical dictionary from my wife whacking me upside the head. I sold her 99 civic hatch to get her a mini cooper. It was so easy to work on :negative:

e: Oh poo poo http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5413840281.html I wished I'd put Si wheels on her car, looks the tits. The rattlecan black looks great too :shepface:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 26, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Last night we were going to pull the engine, but my friend ended up being sick. I still spent a few hours prepping.

First up is to check the fuel system. It's actually in really good shape. Looks like they had non-ethanol gas in it.

Found this in the back.

Next up was to drain the coolant... Well, I would have if it had more then two cups of coolant in it. It smelled worse then it looks.

I removed the PS pump, EGR, ACV, and fuel rails/control system. I'm beginning to remember why I removed most this from my old 87 TII.

Uhh where's the rear iron coolant hose nipple? (upper left) I've never seen one just missing?

Ready to pull after the oil is drained and exhaust pulled.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Late last week I started working on the 93 Base. The owner really, really wants a single turbo on his auto car. I've decided to just slap it together with the parts he provided.

Here's the turbo manifold.

Just bleh. It's a mix of MIG and what looks like stick. Some of the gaps are 3/8" or possibly larger. I spent several hours with a grinder and carbide burr to get them to this point.

And here's the downpipe... I'm going to leave this. There's not a whole lot I can do outside of clean/weld/grind the inside, but the guys outta money as it is.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Sunday, before unloading the FC, me and a few friends went to a car meet. It was small, which is not surprising. The host is a old "friend" of mine. I built his 20B FC and a few other cars. He's amassed quite the collection of Rx-3/4's, a Cosmo, Convertible First Gen's, and other rarities.

I finally got to drive a Cosmo! I've had the front clips with mostly working electronics, but this things a blast. It's got low end power and feels like a luxury cruiser. The advanced electronics in it are hilarious. In 1990, it had built in GPS, a VHS player in the trunk, and the steering wheel lowers into your lap after the key is inserted.

This was a former mechanic's of his. You will never see another rotary with Land Rover throttle bodies and mechanical injection.

Some of his other cars.

And I have a new customer! Haha. The owner of the 93 MB Single Turbo car was there and convinced this guy to bring his car to me. He just bought it and wants it gone over.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

the spyder posted:

I finally got to drive a Cosmo! I've had the front clips with mostly working electronics, but this things a blast. It's got low end power and feels like a luxury cruiser. The advanced electronics in it are hilarious. In 1990, it had built in GPS, a VHS player in the trunk, and the steering wheel lowers into your lap after the key is inserted.

The Eunos Cosmo was Mazdas answer to the Soarer UZZ32. Freaking awesome car that was way ahead of it's time technology-wise. I'd love to pick one up to own, but I can't begin to imagine the headache involved in fixing/replacing all the little things that must go wrong with these. Still, 20B!!!

If I ever come across an engineless Cosmo, I will buy it and 1UZ it. Sorry, but it's the only way.

The UZZ32 does the 'lowering steering wheel' thing as well. I love it!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

The Eunos Cosmo was Mazdas answer to the Soarer UZZ32. Freaking awesome car that was way ahead of it's time technology-wise. I'd love to pick one up to own, but I can't begin to imagine the headache involved in fixing/replacing all the little things that must go wrong with these. Still, 20B!!!

You'd be just the right person to own a Cosmo imo

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

If I ever come across an engineless Cosmo, I will buy it and 1UZ it. Sorry, but it's the only way.

The UZZ32 does the 'lowering steering wheel' thing as well. I love it!

After reading your thread, I actually think there's less to break on a stock Cosmo then a UZZ32.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The Mini's been replaced!

I found a great deal on a fully loaded 2014 Fiesta ST.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I really hate how slightly offset the FC Turbo hood scoop is. Either make it really offset or just widen it until it's center. As it is, it looks like I put it there myself and messed up.
Feels like a case where the engineers won out over design. But also lost to themselves for not making it FMIC.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

the spyder posted:

After reading your thread, I actually think there's less to break on a stock Cosmo then a UZZ32.

Probably gets better mileage as well.

Nice ST. Does it have the touch thing on the drivers door pillar where you can enter a PIN code to get in the car if you forget your keys? That was one of the coolest things I found at the auto show this year.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Dude, awesome car! I test drove one a few months ago. Did you get the Recaros? They're comfy as gently caress.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How many miles and how much $? Used prices on those seemed to almost always be just about the same as new.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Probably gets better mileage as well.

Nice ST. Does it have the touch thing on the drivers door pillar where you can enter a PIN code to get in the car if you forget your keys? That was one of the coolest things I found at the auto show this year.

Ford has literally been doing that for decades. My buddy's '91 Town Car had it. I beat on a FiST and a FoST at one of those Ecoboost Challenge events a while back, but I don't remember if they had the buttons.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ford has literally been doing that for decades. My buddy's '91 Town Car had it. I beat on a FiST and a FoST at one of those Ecoboost Challenge events a while back, but I don't remember if they had the buttons.

The old ones were also woefully insecure. Short combination, plus two numbers per button, plus any cyclic permutation of the code is valid. There's some document floating around the internet on the quickest way to brute force them.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

How many miles and how much $? Used prices on those seemed to almost always be just about the same as new.

24k, Recaro's, Moutune Shifter and Intercooler, adult owned/single owner. No moon roof/door pillar locks.
$16k

It came from a Sports Injury Therapist by the Nike campus. He just bought a new BMW and wanted it gone. The miles are due
to a once a week commute to Seattle.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dang, that seems pretty cheap for what you got. Nice.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

The old ones were also woefully insecure. Short combination, plus two numbers per button, plus any cyclic permutation of the code is valid. There's some document floating around the internet on the quickest way to brute force them.

True, but a piece of broken spark plug and a big rear end flatblade screwdriver combined cost like $2.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah those number pads aren't that big of a crime when you consider that the majority of cars in the 1980s could be stolen with a dent puller and a piece of string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah those number pads aren't that big of a crime when you consider that the majority of cars in the 1980s could be stolen with a dent puller and a piece of string.

The Mazda 323 Astina from the 80s (this one, which I'm unsure if you got);

Had pretty decent security when it was new, but thanks to 30 years of wear on the key tumblers, nearly any you can find on the road in AU today can be unlocked and started with a fork.

Yep, a fork. Just take any old lovely metal fork and bend the outer two tines off. Bam, mazda 323 key. As a bonus, thanks to there being no retention measures on a fork, you can leave the car running sans-key by starting it and pulling the fork out.