Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What skills are generally used on Houndmasters? I cant seem to make them work really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Olive Branch posted:

Abomination on position 4, that's a terrible player. That made me more annoyed than the fact he's running with religious people.

the picture is depicting the three religious characters going off to have fun leaving the abomination behind

Kly fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 27, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
killed the second hag after three tries. went occult-jester-abomination-helion, and she was nice enough to take the occultist so the remaining three just burst her down with bleeding attacks and angry goat attacks.

wasn't even close; occultist still had half his hp at the end. you can't spend any time doing anything except outputting violence at the hag; with her self heal nonsense, she wins battles of attrition. ignore the pot.

she has been the only mid tier boss to really give me a rough time. ive got the flesh, siren, and boat left, and im most unenthused about the siren.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

victrix posted:

Yeah what's the point of that? I've never had enough people to destress that I'd ever need the extra capacity, and if the tavern can permanently gently caress you out of trinkets, why ever use it?

Each stress reliever has its own potential drawback, it's just that losing a very rare trinket is way, way worse than going on a vision quest for 3 weeks or getting the God Fearing quirk.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
What about skill and gear upgrades from the guild and blacksmith?

Maybe there's some issues with your combat approach or party compositions?

Also, fwiw, I take 3 shovels to the weld and cove, 2 to the others.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Snak posted:

I don't know how you guys manage stress so well. After one run, my guys are generally between 35-65 stress. So I can either take them out again, or take another team and try to let them "de-stress naturally". So If I take another team, when that team gets back, I now have 8 guys who all have between 30 and 65 stress. If I take anyone with 65-70 stress on a run, there's a good chance they'll get an affliction.

prioritize stress damage dealers, keep the light level up, up your crit and dodge

Snak posted:

edit: I mean, the biggest thing that screwed me was my 3 best guys all ended up being level 3, which mean I was down my best plague doctor, best hound master, and best leper. Of all the mechanics that can "screw you over" in this game, that's the only one so far that feels unfair.
so start trying level 3 dungeons, they're not physically impossible without top-tier upgrades, you'll just have to play really cautious and smart

or if that's too hard, go on the nexus and get a mod some crybaby put together letting you cheat your high level dudes into newbie dungeons

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 27, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snak posted:

The last 3 time I tried I couldn't even get to the boss.

I only pay to lower stress on "important" characters. ones that are level 2, or ones that are level one and have optimum skills or that I have already invested in upgrading armor and skills.
If they are level 0 or level 1 they are fired.

I just upgraded my stage coach again because I haven't seen a hound master in loving forever and I'm down from 4 to 1 (well, 2, but one of them is level 3 now)

Yeah, low-light runs for cash has probably been 8 hours of my 20 hour playtime.

edit: motherfucker I forgot a shovel.

How many shovels should I be bringing? Because no matter how many I bring, from 0-2, I always end up taking like 20 stress across the board from digging.

Are you focusing fire on the stress dealers and avoiding curious that cause stress (BOOKS!)? Those two things should mitigate a large portion of the stress you receive.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Snak posted:

How many shovels should I be bringing? Because no matter how many I bring, from 0-2, I always end up taking like 20 stress across the board from digging.

I bring 2 for short runs, 3 for medium, 4 for long, +1-2 for Cove. Some go to waste sometimes, but it's better than the stress hit.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yeah tbh I've sort of hit a point where trinkets give enough of a healing output that you can just stay topped off on health by dragging out a battle for a bit after the stress dealers are dead. 46 crit heals aren't nothing to scoff at.

stress is a much bigger pain in the rear end to recover from. jesters are great for that, at least.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

"god dammit, when I asked if you had anything for the black death, i meant to cure it!"

"well you should have specified."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

prioritize stress damage dealers, keep the light level up, up your crit and dodge

Yeah, I do all those things. But still, law of averages, two characters wiff in a row, boom, someone has 30 stress.

I guess I'll go try to reach one of the bosses again and report back how it goes.

I really miss hound masters. There hasn't been one in the last 20 recruits from the stagecoach.

I'm mostly just afraid. I've only seen one boss ever, and since I hadn't seen it before, I didn't know anything about the fight and whiped immediately. If I take my good guys who have a chance and they wipe, I'll be set back hours.

edit: well one of my guys died in the second room during the second fight. fml.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 27, 2016

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Great curio cheatsheet, courtesy reddit:

Now you too can stop reading books for no reason!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Snak posted:

Yeah, I do all those things. But still, law of averages, two characters wiff in a row, boom, someone has 30 stress.

I guess I'll go try to reach one of the bosses again and report back how it goes.

I really miss hound masters. There hasn't been one in the last 20 recruits from the stagecoach.

I'm mostly just afraid. I've only seen one boss ever, and since I hadn't seen it before, I didn't know anything about the fight and whiped immediately. If I take my good guys who have a chance and they wipe, I'll be set back hours.

go ahead and look at the wiki on them.

it's not really fun to lose dudes because you didn't know that, say, you had to have long range attacks, or a means to burst down a specific guy a turn, or whatever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

edit: motherfucker I forgot a shovel.

2 shovels for short missions, 3 for medium, 4 for long. Add an extra one for weald or cove (weald has the most barricades, weald and cove both have valuable curios that reward shovels.)

FrickenMoron posted:

What skills are generally used on Houndmasters? I cant seem to make them work really.

All of them. They're one of the best designed, most balanced, and most diverse characters in the game, so it depends entirely on what you want out of them. In the long run I find it very worthwhile to upgrade most/all of their skills and switch around as needed (remember you can even do this in the dungeon, just not in combat--so you can leave out the recovery moves early on and add them back in when you start to get worn down.) Hound Rush is more or less mandatory, it's a very decent attack with great range. Blackjack is phenomenal and is a must-have if you're slotting him in row 2, but he's perfectly good as a back row character without it. I generally keep Guard Dog on for emergencies, especially on Weald runs. Not a fan of marking parties, so I usually have Hound's Harry over Whistle but they're both viable for different situations.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

FrickenMoron posted:

If you're putting your Houndmaster in Rank 2 where he most fits, you generally want Hound's Rush and Blackjack and then your favourite combination of Whistle, Guard Dog, or Lick Wounds. Whistle is especially good for -PROT but I like the other two for sustainability because Rank 2 is more for support/tanking. Since Houndmaster is flexible and more aggressive in the back two ranks, you'll probably wanna stick with Hound's Rush, Hound's Harry, and Whistle for a full aggression suite and pad it out with Cry Havoc for the sometimes useful stress heal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Adorable.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm gonna link this in the OP, super convenient format.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Snak posted:

Stagecoach is the one part of the game that is maddeningly pure RNG. Either grab yourself a Kickstarter backer houndmaster if it's frustrating you, or accept that the universe is slanted against you and the game is specifically designed to turn all your dreams into ruin

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

My only question for that cheatsheet is the icons taken from player abilities. I assume the Bounty Hunter icon means scouting chance, the Occultist purple swirls (Abandon hope?) icon is affliction maybe?

Yeah do what Soothing said and grab some kickstarter heroes.

Do they start at level 0 btw? I assume so, just wanted to ask. Need to snag me a few of them as well.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 27, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So yeah. 4th boss attempt ever. Made it to the second room before RNG killed two of my party members. 4 failed retreats.

RIP bounty hunter, crusader, and my trinkets. And my money.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

My only question for that cheatsheet is the icons taken from player abilities. I assume the Bounty Hunter icon means scouting chance, the Occultist purple swirls (Abandon hope?) icon is affliction maybe?

Correct on the BH icon (it can give scouting). The Occultist swirl represents that books can lower your torchlight. The Vestal symbol under Alchemy table is the opposite; burning the alch table increases torchlight to 100.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Snak posted:

So yeah. 4th boss attempt ever. Made it to the second room before RNG killed two of my party members. 4 failed retreats.

What team were you fielding? What lineup? What monsters were you fighting that killed you?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Do they start at level 0 btw? I assume so, just wanted to ask. Need to snag me a few of them as well.

Yeah, they start at 0.

Snak posted:

:henget:

Post a video of you doing a dungeon pls, I want to see this "RNG" in action

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Snak posted:

Are you capable of streaming your games? I'm very curious to see what's going on here.

EDIT: Or well, I can stream, and you can take a look to see what I'm doing: http://www.hitbox.tv/TastyLemonDrops

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 27, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So, speaking of Bounty Hunters, I don't understand the Collect Bounty ability at all. It says

ACC base: 85
CRIT mod: 5%
Self: +90% DMG vs Marked+
Self: +15% DMG vs Human

Which in my brain means that in addition to doing damage, it applies a buff to the bounty hunter that gives him +90% damage against marked. But it doesn't do this. What does it do?

So far, Bounty Hunters seem to be the worst class. Would rather have a plague doctor or occultist.

edit: ^ in the first room, I got shuffled so that my Vestal was in the Front and Crusader in the back. Second battle was all spiders, wiff wiff wiff die retreat fail retreat fail retreat fail die retreat.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Snak posted:

I don't know how you guys manage stress so well. After one run, my guys are generally between 35-65 stress. So I can either take them out again, or take another team and try to let them "de-stress naturally". So If I take another team, when that team gets back, I now have 8 guys who all have between 30 and 65 stress. If I take anyone with 65-70 stress on a run, there's a good chance they'll get an affliction.

I guess I should up my roster size to 18? I thought that after encountering the first boss some 10 hours ago, I'd be ready to take a crack at it again, but I can barely get a decent team together for anything but a money run.

The trait that is obsession with money (i can't remember what it's called) seems almost as bad as kleptomania, since they take all the money from bags and stuff.

I'm still having fun, but I'm starting to get bored because I feel like I've hit a progress wall. I've played 20 hours and I haven't progressed past where I was at at 5 hours. And I don't want to do risky runs like boss attempts, because I only barely have a team of level 2s, and if I lose them, I'll be right back where I was 20 hours ago.

edit: I mean, the biggest thing that screwed me was my 3 best guys all ended up being level 3, which mean I was down my best plague doctor, best hound master, and best leper. Of all the mechanics that can "screw you over" in this game, that's the only one so far that feels unfair.

I prioritize a barracks of 25 dudes. That's a lot of free stress relief and more importantly, extra damage, less stress damage and a good variety of skills because I can bring an Occultist who is an Eldritch Slayer and a Cove Adventurer into his best area instead of having to send him somewhere else because I don't have enough warm bodies. The money you saved from heals can also be used for upgrades, and that makes a world of difference.

The "I can't do this dungeon anymore" thing happens to you exactly once.

EDIT: This thread moves fast.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

Post a video of you doing a dungeon pls, I want to see this "RNG" in action
I mean, in the very first hallway, at full torch brightness, I was surprised and my party was shuffled so that two of my party members could do nothing but move during the first turn.

I'm not one to bitch about RNG being unfair, but that was just straight bad luck.

edit:
was most of my loadout. I brought more torches. My biggest fuckup was not bringing antivenom. Highwayman got blighted immediately.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 27, 2016

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MacheteZombie posted:

If you want it with a better explanation, there is a pretty comprehensive list on the wiki: http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Curio

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Snak posted:

So, speaking of Bounty Hunters, I don't understand the Collect Bounty ability at all. It says

Which in my brain means that in addition to doing damage, it applies a buff to the bounty hunter that gives him +90% damage against marked. But it doesn't do this. What does it do?

So far, Bounty Hunters seem to be the worst class. Would rather have a plague doctor or occultist.

edit: ^ in the first room, I got shuffled so that my Vestal was in the Front and Crusader in the back. Second battle was all spiders, wiff wiff wiff die retreat fail retreat fail retreat fail die retreat.

he does that much extra damage against marked foes, which is it's own mechanic.

he also does bonus damage against humans.

your dislike of him is a bit telling; I consider him one of the best characters. he can do incredible damage when you mark things for him, but he also does a lot of "soft" stuff; moving around foes and stunning them. crowd control is very, very important. some foes become a lot weaker in the wrong position. and stunning lets you focus on one dude at a time while the more troublesome, harder to kill foes are left for later.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Snak posted:

It means that the attack does nearly double damage against marked targets, and has a small damage bonus against humans. It's usually not worth using marks on weak targets or if you have a guy setting it up for himself, but a marking-focused team can poo poo all over single tough dudes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Snak posted:

I mean, in the very first hallway, at full torch brightness, I was surprised and my party was shuffled so that two of my party members could do nothing but move during the first turn.

I'm not one to bitch about RNG being unfair, but that was just straight bad luck.

Counterpoint: you died to spiders, man v:shobon:v

Party shuffles are a reality of the game. You need to build teams that aren't totally helpless in the event of a shuffle. Give your vestal an ability that works in the front. Give your crusader Holy Lance.

also Bounty Hunters are one of the best classes in the game

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Glidergun posted:

It means that the attack does nearly double damage against marked targets, and has a small damage bonus against humans. It's usually not worth using marks on weak targets or if you have a guy setting it up for himself, but a marking-focused team can poo poo all over single tough dudes.

That's what I thought at first, but usually damage modifiers of the attack itself aren't usually listed under "self". That's why I was confused. Every time I used the ability, I looked for signed of additional damage or effects being applied to himself. After a few uses against marked and unmarked targets, I couldn't see a difference in damage, and I couldn't see self buff.

I naturally dislike things that I do not understand how they work.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did a cove mission where my bounty hunter got the black and red plague from sea jellies. Why can those things even give you diseases in the first place???

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Did a cove mission where my bounty hunter got the black and red plague from sea jellies. Why can those things even give you diseases in the first place???

Why can a bookshelf give people syphilis? Same reason: because gently caress You.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
A 3 squad of Bounty Hunters can completely poo poo over a a boss. They're basically perfect for the Siren or Hag since they can hit just about anywhere with a ton of soft support.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

Why can a bookshelf give people syphilis? Same reason: because gently caress You.

This should really be the thread title

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

This should really be the thread title

"This book gave me syphilis! Let's Play Darkest Dungeon"

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
16 Weeks in and not a single man at arms has spawned. I want to use the new classes that werent in the beta early last year. :(

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

16 Weeks in and not a single man at arms has spawned. I want to use the new classes that werent in the beta early last year. :(

Soothing Vapors posted:

Stagecoach is the one part of the game that is maddeningly pure RNG. Either grab yourself a Kickstarter backer houndmasterman at arms if it's frustrating you, or accept that the universe is slanted against you and the game is specifically designed to turn all your dreams into ruin

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
man at arms is real ehhh, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

man at arms is real ehhh, imo.

No way, MaA is da bomb you, like Affleck in Phantoms!

Huge health pool, riposte, stun, AoE team buff, and can guard. He's THE tank in Darkest Dungeon, imo. You don't use him for a ton of damage, but to soak it up and slam his shield into fools.