Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

BigglesSWE posted:

I have a fedora I put on together with my long coat. It's when you walk around in just a t-shirt with no proper coat or jacket that a fedora-wearing becomes a sin.

Also, it should be used outdoors or while you're on the move. NOT in front of your computer.

Take a picture so we can judge you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Take a picture so we can judge you!

Will take one tonight. Brace yourself.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ohhhh man it's been a while since the last one :allears:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
hehe, I'm glad someone invoked the Hat Rule :allears:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Serious question: Are there ANY hats (not including religious headgear) these days that can make a man look good? Because it's like the fedora crowd has ruined things for ALL men.

I once wore a fedora (along with a vest and my grandfather's trenchcoat) while cosplaying as a noire detective.

I like to think I pulled it off, for that one specific instance, but considering the context, I don't think I'd recommend it in general.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Rondette posted:

hehe, I'm glad someone invoked the Hat Rule :allears:

Just for the record, what exactly does the Hat Rule dictate?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

Just for the record, what exactly does the Hat Rule dictate?

Anyone who defends the wearing of hats must provide proof of them wearing said hat.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Rondette posted:

Anyone who defends the wearing of hats must provide proof of them wearing said hat.

Your honour, let it be put on record that I approve and defend the usage of hatwear in conjecture with proper clothing. Wearing a hat without proper clothing is and shall always be a criminal offence.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Your honour, let it be put on record that I approve and defend the usage of hatwear in conjecture with proper clothing. Wearing a hat without proper clothing is and shall always be a criminal offence.

You're not getting out of this one.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BigglesSWE posted:

Will take one tonight. Brace yourself.

Better be tilted.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

BigglesSWE posted:

Anyone who writes such a goony response is sure to take a good picture. Can't wait!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Dagnabbit. Guess I'll have to make it real proper. I promise you Church-boots and all!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Oh, they're so stupid, these people who don't know about the exact ways your body is hosed up.

You ever put bleach on your eye?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wish more threads turned in to fedora honeypots these days

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, the rule everyone misses about fedoras is that the only way they really look good is if you have it match a fully tailored suit, as in vest, matching tie and shirt, possibly a long coat over your jacket, etc, and ALREADY look kind of dapper on your own. You look like a spazz trying to draw attention to how "wacky" you are otherwise.

As for me, no hat looks good on me, and the only time I wear hats are ski caps in the winter to keep warm outside. I begrudgingly accept my thinning hairline, as it's better than looking like a ponce in a hat.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Being over 50 makes wearing hats more acceptable too. Old men in hats always look kind of cool.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Also, please don't be the guy who wears a hat indoors, like most baseball cap wearers.

I only wore mine inside when I worked construction and we were working inside a customer's house. It was mostly for a sweatband, since that was a hard, hot, sweaty job.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Cowboy hats look good, but only on dudes who look like they could kick your rear end

Actually, that's the rule for basically any hat really

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fried Watermelon posted:

You ever put bleach on your eye?

Leave my fetishes out of this.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, the rule everyone misses about fedoras is that the only way they really look good is if you have it match a fully tailored suit, as in vest, matching tie and shirt, possibly a long coat over your jacket, etc, and ALREADY look kind of dapper on your own. You look like a spazz trying to draw attention to how "wacky" you are otherwise.

As for me, no hat looks good on me, and the only time I wear hats are ski caps in the winter to keep warm outside. I begrudgingly accept my thinning hairline, as it's better than looking like a ponce in a hat.

Not even that, it needs to be tailored in an older style.
No one can pull off a modern slim suit with a fedora.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Russian fur hats are awesome, especially super puffy ones. And yet, in the GIS of attractive people and even non attractive people who still wear them properly, there's one lone bearded hipster who somehow fails miserably to wear a giant piece of fur on his head. I'm pretty sure he bought a kids size.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Anyone who writes magic as magick unironically outside of a fantasy DnD campaign is guaranteed to be off the deep end.

What about majjik?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Is it very sunny? Is it raining? Are you a pop star with an entourage to make you look fashionable? Are you a jazz musican? If not, it might be best to leave the hat at home most of the time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

OldMemes posted:

Is it very sunny? Is it raining? Are you a pop star with an entourage to make you look fashionable? Are you a jazz musican? If not, it might be best to leave the hat at home most of the time.

Not suggesting that this is the case here, but I've found that 80% of the time when I hear this type of fashion advice it's coming from someone in a tshirt with a hole in the armpit.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Dienes posted:

Better be tilted.

Tilting may vary depending on the amount of self-loathing currently experienced.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

CommonShore posted:

Not suggesting that this is the case here, but I've found that 80% of the time when I hear this type of fashion advice it's coming from someone in a tshirt with a hole in the armpit.

Look, it's really easy to get holes there, okay? There's like four different seams meeting there.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Tilting may vary depending on the amount of self-loathing currently experienced.

Stop talking about the picture you're going to take and take the picture already. With you holding a piece of paper with your username on it, so you can't just try and find one on the internet.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Slime posted:

Stop talking about the picture you're going to take and take the picture already. With you holding a piece of paper with your username on it, so you can't just try and find one on the internet.

You guys think of everything, don't you?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BigglesSWE posted:

:henget:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

BigglesSWE posted:

Thems the rules :getin:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Geniasis posted:

I mean, you'd assume that excelling as a brain surgeon would require a pretty high intellect overall, which you would think would be pretty generally applicable but apparently not

Surgery struck me as the least demanding on the intellect of the medical specialties. You're doing incredibly difficult and delicate manual labor. If want a genius find a biochemist. Dr. Derek Lowe 2020.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Do you wanna know the secret of looking good in a hat?
It's the looking good part that needs to come before the hat. But even dashing good looks can't save a fedora.

Other than that?
Age, and that most hats look best on men with sharper features

Really though fashion has mostly moved away from fits and forms that compliment a hat.

I feel that a flat cap looks nice on most people. The most important thing about wearing a hat is that it is *not* part of your identity. You wear a hat because you want to wear a hat. Don't make fuss, don't "m'lady" people. Just wear a hat because it keeps the sun out of your eyes and you like it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I wear a flat cap. Outside.

Mine even folds out the ear flaps when it is super cold.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I wear a top hat with a track suit

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Panniculus Rift posted:

I wear a top hat with a track suit

I think I can safely say this is a look that only works if you're a pro wrestler.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I wear stupid trash that makes me look like trash, now can we PLEASE find some idiots to mock?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Inzombiac posted:

What about majjik?

Even crazier. Like, one eye going clockwise and the other going counter-clockwise nutso.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Okay. People asked, nay, DEMANDED to have some hatty goodness. Oh yea of little faith...

Let's start with the feet....

A nice pair of Church, fine, expensive, footwear, but not what we're here for!

Oh dear! We don't see the eyes! How EDGY.

What is a hat pic without some needless posing. But is this really me? How can we tell!

Eh. Close enough.
Here's the deciding vote! With or without hat! Call in now!

Thank you for playing. Have a picture of my lovely lovely cat, Märtha-Louise!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Woolie Wool posted:

Surgery struck me as the least demanding on the intellect of the medical specialties. You're doing incredibly difficult and delicate manual labor. If want a genius find a biochemist. Dr. Derek Lowe 2020.

So scrubs was accurate and they are the jocks of the medical world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigglesSWE posted:

Okay. People asked, nay, DEMANDED to have some hatty goodness. Oh yea of little faith...

Let's start with the feet....

A nice pair of Church, fine, expensive, footwear, but not what we're here for!

Oh dear! We don't see the eyes! How EDGY.

What is a hat pic without some needless posing. But is this really me? How can we tell!

Eh. Close enough.
Here's the deciding vote! With or without hat! Call in now!

Thank you for playing. Have a picture of my lovely lovely cat, Märtha-Louise!

:(

• Locked thread