Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Ended up just buying the following to have everything: two 2950's, a 3560, two 2621's, and a 2811 with IOS 15. Its probably overkill, but the gear is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Definitely overkill

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

KillHour posted:

Dude, good luck. I can't wait to go for my CISSP (I'm a year short of the experience requirements and I'm not doing security right now, so the clock is stopped. :suicide:)

I thought you had 5 years after passing to get the 5 years of experience requirement done? Could always pass the test and try to get back into the field.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I feel like if you have a wife or live-in girlfriend the sounds of a harrier jet emanating from your home office wont last very long and you'll be back to using Packet Tracer or GNS3.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

I plan on taking the images and doing some GNS3 as well.

I'm actually getting married in less than two months, so we'll see how she deals with it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ozu posted:

I feel like if you have a wife or live-in girlfriend the sounds of a harrier jet emanating from your home office wont last very long and you'll be back to using Packet Tracer or GNS3.

I never realized how loud these things were until I had to work on a 2811 router at my office desk. Replaced a fan, powered it on in a quiet environment, and holy gently caress. Server racks do a great job at being so noisy you hardly consider the sound of a single unit.

I also considered building a rack in my garage but temperatures ranging from 0 to 90 are not conducive to electronic longevity.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
There's still no legitimate way to purchase Packet Tracer if you don't take a Networking Academy course, right? From what I've seen I'd like to use it but...

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

There's still no legitimate way to purchase Packet Tracer if you don't take a Networking Academy course, right? From what I've seen I'd like to use it but...

Yeah, it's still locked up outside of the NA courses. Have you checked out Cisco VIRL? I think it's around $200 a year for personal use.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

InevitableCheese posted:

Ended up just buying the following to have everything: two 2950's, a 3560, two 2621's, and a 2811 with IOS 15. Its probably overkill, but the gear is fun.

Sell them on ebay, use the money to build a robust host, toss VMs on there and run GNS3. Use maybe 2-3 switches if you really want ASIC poo poo and that way they are powered only when you're doing lab poo poo and it doesn't sound like there's an air show in your home.

An additional benefit is when you need to branch out to other things you can easily spin up a new VM to do whatever. Hey, you want to test all AD services through your boundary topology? No worries, just create them and good to go.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've always been happy with Boson NetSim when I was studying for my CCNA. Theres usually a coupon code out there somewhere to save some money on it. Well worth it in my opinion.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

InevitableCheese posted:

Yeah, it's still locked up outside of the NA courses. Have you checked out Cisco VIRL? I think it's around $200 a year for personal use.

$79 if you have college email I think.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

MrBigglesworth posted:

$79 if you have college email I think.

This is correct. I keep meaning to buy it myself but I need to buy some hardware beforehand.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So Cisco VIRL and Boson NetSim don't have the limitation of GNS3 in terms of simulating Cisco switches? Because that's really the only thing I miss in GNS3. I know you can have routers with switch modules and such but that always felt a little janky to me.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So Cisco VIRL and Boson NetSim don't have the limitation of GNS3 in terms of simulating Cisco switches? Because that's really the only thing I miss in GNS3. I know you can have routers with switch modules and such but that always felt a little janky to me.

VIRL seems like it can do the entire shebang to me, but that's just from reading. Couldn't tell ya about boson netsim. Their practice exams are awesome though

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

OhDearGodNo posted:

My CISSP is only 2 days away. I've been working at it for a few months now, using CCCure, the new 11th hour book (with the condensed 8 domains), both old and new CBT Nuggets series, and a worthless quiz app.

I don't know what else to do to be ready. To be honest it's the little poo poo that gets me- processes in the SDLC, names of different security models, bullshit admin stuff.

But I need IAT and IAM III, so here I go.

I've been putting it off, but I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger and just get it out of the way just so I can counter smarmy ISSOs that try to derail projects.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Haha just got word my test tomorrow will be rescheduled because the testing center will still be closed from Friday's snowstorm.

:bang:

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

After the testing center failed to notify me they were closing Saturday, I finally got to take my 210-260 CCNA Security.

Failed it with 750 out of 860 required.

Test was written horribly, half the questions weren't in the official study guide and one of the two labs glitched out on me preventing me from completing the 1st of 2 requirements.

I'm going to drink for a week straight then go take it again..

I got like 15 questions on personal firewalls. Who gives a poo poo :bang:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Vadun posted:

After the testing center failed to notify me they were closing Saturday, I finally got to take my 210-260 CCNA Security.

Failed it with 750 out of 860 required.

Test was written horribly, half the questions weren't in the official study guide and one of the two labs glitched out on me preventing me from completing the 1st of 2 requirements.

I'm going to drink for a week straight then go take it again..

I got like 15 questions on personal firewalls. Who gives a poo poo :bang:

If the lab glitched out you should have told your proctor who could get it resolved with Pearson.

Has anyone taken the Cisco cct exams? Why do they exist?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Vadun posted:

half the questions weren't in the official study guide

Were you looking at the old study guide for 2015? Or the new one for 2016? I plan on taking this exam soon so I'd really like to know which resources are out of date and which have the good info on it.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Were you looking at the old study guide for 2015? Or the new one for 2016? I plan on taking this exam soon so I'd really like to know which resources are out of date and which have the good info on it.

I've seen a few different people say that the book is definitely not enough on its own. There are questions over firepower which I don't believe are covered in the official guide at all. I'm hoping a combo of CBTnuggets the official guide and a few hours poking around ASDM along with labs in gns3 is enough.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Yeah there were a bunch of Firepower related question. My guide was specifically for 210-260.

I got 100% on the IPS portion of the exam, but thats probably because my job is strictly for Firepower, so I've been studying that a lot on my own.

The lab portion alone wouldnt have gotten me passing, so I wasn't concerned about it. The concepts the labs covered was really good, but the interface was garbage.

I see a lot of people online complaining that the hard copy version of the Official Certification Guide is much worse than the e-book/electronic version. I give up on Cisco Press entirely and I'm just grabbing 2 years of INE. I plan on going for my CCIE eventually anyhow

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

crunk dork posted:

I've seen a few different people say that the book is definitely not enough on its own.

Why is this becoming such a loving trend?

How do people break into these fields without the hands on experience or knowledge implanted otherwise if the material is not in the books?

It was like this with my CCNA DC 640-911. Ive studied a bit more OUTSIDE of the guides since failing the test, (not dumps) to find the answers because now that I know what a few of those questions were I knew what vague general direction to look for. But as in my case there were a few specific questions that were patently nowhere mentioned in the Official Certification Guide from Cisco by Odom in its 667 pages.

One thing I will always do from now on is take a pen/notepad into the testing center and put those in the locker and start dumping my concerns of questions after the test (if I fail). I did this last time, but had to wait till I got to the car and I am sure in that 5 minute walk I lost a few things.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MrBigglesworth posted:

How do people break into these fields without the hands on experience or knowledge implanted otherwise if the material is not in the books?

It was like this with my CCNA DC 640-911. Ive studied a bit more OUTSIDE of the guides since failing the test, (not dumps) to find the answers because now that I know what a few of those questions were I knew what vague general direction to look for. But as in my case there were a few specific questions that were patently nowhere mentioned in the Official Certification Guide from Cisco by Odom in its 667 pages.

One thing I will always do from now on is take a pen/notepad into the testing center and put those in the locker and start dumping my concerns of questions after the test (if I fail). I did this last time, but had to wait till I got to the car and I am sure in that 5 minute walk I lost a few things.

F5 flat out refuses to make study guides for their exams. They want you to have the experience before you get the certification. It's kind of obnoxious, but I can see where they're coming from.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MrBigglesworth posted:

I passed the 640-911 with nothing but the Lammle book.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

S+ is still valuable within the first 5 years of experience. My workplace is paying for it anyway so it certainly can't hurt.

I don't disagree but why not take the CISSIP instead?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

I don't disagree but why not take the CISSIP instead?

For obvious reasons, like S+ requiring about 2-3 weeks of solid studying, and CISSP requiring 5 years of applicable experience, etc.

Obviously CISSP is better but it's not like they require equal investments of time.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Well, wasn't the point of most certifications that you had some experience/knowledge and could be considered a professional/expert in that field? But then employers just started slapping them on as pre-reqs to get those jobs in the first place?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Kind of wondering how to get my foot in the door for a better job like Network/Sys Admin. I have a degree, and have been working tech support for 1.5 years now(it's getting very boring, and I'm not learning anything new here anymore).

However, no certs. :( Would most agree that A+ is a waste of time? I was thinking of jumping right into the N+, then S+ after that.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Network or sys admin? Either way the only + cert worth it is S+.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Slider posted:

Kind of wondering how to get my foot in the door for a better job like Network/Sys Admin. I have a degree, and have been working tech support for 1.5 years now(it's getting very boring, and I'm not learning anything new here anymore).

However, no certs. :( Would most agree that A+ is a waste of time? I was thinking of jumping right into the N+, then S+ after that.

You need to decide if you want to do network work or systems work. If network stuff, CCNA. Probably MCSA for systems, but someone that does that would probably have a better answer.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Your experience has me worried for when I make my attempt at that exam. Total poo poo lottery on what questions you're going to get doesn't make me feel any better.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I passed 200-120 last Thursday and got the "congratulations, make sure your address and name are right" email the next day. How long does it usually take for the certificate to arrive? The email says 8 weeks but I can't imagine it actually taking that long to ship from wherever Cisco is to Vancouver...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
A few weeks. You can log in to the cert tracker page and change to electronic delivery.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

NippleFloss posted:

I passed the 640-911 with nothing but the Lammle book.

How long ago? Did it ask anything about system images, kickstarts, bios bullshit?

quote:

How long does it usually take for the certificate to arrive?

Bout 2 to 3 weeks for mine.

quote:

Your experience has me worried for when I make my attempt at that exam. Total poo poo lottery on what questions you're going to get doesn't make me feel any better.

Well, learn how Nexus displays a routing table, and to be vague and non nda killer, look at bootup, kickstarts, boot loaders, bios, goddamned loving licensing and which Nexus hardware has how many RUs and can or cannot support XYZ feature license.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 27, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Slider posted:

Decide if you want to focus on the networking side or sysadmin side first. If you want to go the network route start working towards your CCENT/CCNA. That plus the little experience you have should at least get your foot in the door somewhere. In my opinion the Microsoft certs are awful and you'd be better served by spinning up a lab environment. Build a Hyper-V setup with a DC, learn how to setup DNS, DHCP, etc through windows. Then get started with MDT on a lab vm and try playing around with that building images, while your at that work with powershell to write a few simple scripts. All that said some places just have a hard requirement for some Microsoft cert so your experience may vary.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone taken the 70-697 (the Windows 10: Configuring) exam yet? I'm focusing on ICND2 now but I'm sorta considering picking that one up. I was surprised to see that Microsoft has made that one a one-exam MCSA.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Decide if you want to focus on the networking side or sysadmin side first. If you want to go the network route start working towards your CCENT/CCNA. That plus the little experience you have should at least get your foot in the door somewhere. In my opinion the Microsoft certs are awful and you'd be better served by spinning up a lab environment. Build a Hyper-V setup with a DC, learn how to setup DNS, DHCP, etc through windows. Then get started with MDT on a lab vm and try playing around with that building images, while your at that work with powershell to write a few simple scripts. All that said some places just have a hard requirement for some Microsoft cert so your experience may vary.

I'm leaning towards the sys admin role.

The N+ looked appealing to me because it would be a good refresh from everything I had learned in school. At one point I had stuff like OSI model memorized but nearly two years later I dont remember half of it.

Is it possible to get server 2012 for personal use without resorting to :filez: ?

Everything you mentioned sounds like it would be a good idea to practice. Are the Professor Messer videos recommended?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can download eval versions of Windows server from MS that work for 180 days.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Slider posted:

I'm leaning towards the sys admin role.

The N+ looked appealing to me because it would be a good refresh from everything I had learned in school. At one point I had stuff like OSI model memorized but nearly two years later I dont remember half of it.

Is it possible to get server 2012 for personal use without resorting to :filez: ?

Everything you mentioned sounds like it would be a good idea to practice. Are the Professor Messer videos recommended?

If you are a student, check out OnTheHub.com as well. They sometimes have time limited or even free for "Educational" purposes software for this type of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just wrote my GIAC GSEC exam, 95%. Highly recommend this course (SEC 401 at SANS) if your company pays for it (it's not financially reasonable to do it on your own, like 8k plus travel expenses) but a really rewarding experience if security interests you. Take a class with Eric Cole if you can.