Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I thought that ISD standard deck was called solar flare because, y'know, it had Sun Titan in it, but apparently the name actually had nothing to do with sun titan. Which is dumb because that explanation makes more sense than whatever nonsense the original reasoning was.

Why do you hate Krillin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh they're legendary, right.

So what's the combo you're talking about then? Sorin needs +2 to ult immediately

Using Sorin's Ultimate the second turn he comes out with 2 dudes on the battlefield to block for him is very good. I mean, its garbage against Rally, but the deck basically can't beat Rally pre-sideboard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not saying this deck is good, but I am saying its fun. Especially the Oath of Gideon into Sorin combo wombo.

4 Oath of Nissa
3 Oath of Gideon
4 Den Protector
2 Anafenza, the Foremost
3 Silkwrap
4 Stasis Snare
1 Murderous Cut
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Ob Nixilis Reignited

Land:

4 Wooded Foothills
2 Hissing Quagmire
2 Llanowar Wastes
2 Canopy Vista
4 Flooded Strand
3 Shambling Vent
1 Smoldering Marsh
1 Sunken Hollow
3 Windswept Heath
2 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Forest

Sideboard:

3 Duress
3 Flaying Tendrils
3 Hallowed Moonlight
1 Painful Truths
2 Surge of Righteousness
3 Arashin Cleric

I tested a WBx tokens list with Gideon, Sorin and Oath of Gideon but when you didn't curve from Oath into a walker on T4 you didn't really do much.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I tested a WBx tokens list with Gideon, Sorin and Oath of Gideon but when you didn't curve from Oath into a walker on T4 you didn't really do much.

Nissa is actually quite good in this list. She doesn't cost poo poo to cast and Oath of Nissa's "trinket" text is absurd if you have 15 Planeswalkers.

As I said, its janky homebrew, its not really competitive or anything.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 27, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

tgijsola posted:

It's like, actually not that crazy to think that a full rewrite of one of the core systems of the game, that touches client interaction, game logic, visuals, a million different cost payment prompts, etc. would take a serious amount of time. Especially while they're trying to maintain forward progress on implementing upcoming sets.

But also, like everyone else,

They're going to have to do it eventually and the longer they put it off the worse it will be. They're kind of stuck because it's a product that needs constant new content coded in that has to be up 24/7.

To really fix it would mean developing a whole new backend (or at least the part of it that deals with game rules) in parallel while keeping the current one maintained and updated and then switching over to the new one once they have it working. Without breaking anything.

The client end has its own issues, but probably doesn't need a complete re-write, just a bigger team.

Really what it comes down to is that they need to hire more programmers and higher better programmers and manage them all better, which probably means a change in management.

OK basically what it really really comes down to is that MTGO should be outsourced to a real software development company.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Entropic posted:

OK basically what it really really comes down to is that MTGO should be outsourced to a real software development company.

That worked well for Duels

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

You missed the important qualifier there: "real"

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

It worked well until Duels.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

Entropic posted:

To really fix it would mean developing a whole new backend (or at least the part of it that deals with game rules) in parallel while keeping the current one maintained and updated and then switching over to the new one once they have it working. Without breaking anything.

That's what they did with the v3 -> v4 client upgrade, they were maintaining both for a while and I can't even imagine how much that must have sucked. Everyone was mad when they forced us over to the new client but honestly it'd be in better shape now if they had done it sooner.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Anyone remember Magic Tactics?

Me either.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

tgijsola posted:

That's what they did with the v3 -> v4 client upgrade, they were maintaining both for a while and I can't even imagine how much that must have sucked. Everyone was mad when they forced us over to the new client but honestly it'd be in better shape now if they had done it sooner.

Yeah, everyone was mad because the new client fixed some stuff from the old one but had its own exciting new problems and lacked a bunch of functionality at first. If you're going to do that you have to actually have the resources to put into doing it right.

Which again comes back to their problem of not having enough people to do what needs doing, or at least to do it properly.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Anyone remember Magic Tactics?

Me either.

I remember. It crashed on me.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Duels basically worked fine for me on Steam, I just got bored of it. What it needs more than anything is an F6 button because my god sitting through all those timers gets tedious quickly, especially in the early turns of a game.

I hear the iOS version was a dumpster fire that basically didn't work at all for a while?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

One of the big points in the Loucks post was that basically with all the new cards coming in they barely had any time to actually develop the core of the code. Just not enough people on the team to be keeping up with new sets AND updating it. If maybe 20% of your time is actually spent on behind the curtains stuff a year to change it isn't nearly as crazy.

Realistically they should have separate teams doing these things but we all know WotC has no idea how to run a software dept by this point.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There was an interview Marshall Sutcliffe did with Loucks on his podcast a while ago not long after Loucks left WOTC which was pretty interesting. Loucks obviously couldn't get into a lot of specifics about his time working on MTGO but his frustration with their whole process was palpable.

When you hire someone like Jon Loucks, who's obviously passionate about the game and a knows what he's doing when it comes to programming, and he quits in frustration, you're doing something wrong.

e: found it. http://lrcast.com/the-1-for-1-inaugural-episode/

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ramos posted:

I remember. It crashed on me.

Not only did it crash on me, but it did so during the tutorial. When I tried to resume, the tutorial was broken forever.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Niton posted:

Not only did it crash on me, but it did so during the tutorial. When I tried to resume, the tutorial was broken forever.

Magic: Puzzle quest crashed on me 3 times during the tutorial as well.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I really loved Magic Tactics, but I got in on the ground floor and had....most everything.

The combo decks were awesome and I'm sad it died.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Haha, I missed the part in the MTGO thing where they killed F8 because it was too hard for them to fix. They've had 2 years or whatever to try to fix it but what can you do?

quote:

While we're very proud of the gains that we've been able to make with the mana system so far, we're not finished yet. The F8 function (yield when no plays exist) doesn't work correctly at the moment. Additionally, the new system currently has almost no automatic consumption of mana. These are both areas where we're looking to restore and expand functionality in the near future. The current plan we're working on—and this is not a promise of what the future will hold—is that ultimately we'd like to end up with a system that automatically consumes mana intelligently. It's not ideal if you're asked to click mana in your pool when the converted mana cost of the spell you're casting is the same as the amount of mana in your mana pool, or if there's no choice in the types of mana you could use to cast a spell (perhaps if you have {W}{U}{U} in your pool when paying a {1}{W} cost).

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Boco_T posted:

Haha, I missed the part in the MTGO thing where they killed F8 because it was too hard for them to fix. They've had 2 years or whatever to try to fix it but what can you do?

I don't think that's quite what they're saying - the (possibly worse) inference is that they simply ran out of time to do it, and shipped it because it had to be done & all the core components were functional. In the MODO team's defense, mana really did need this kind of overhaul - they avoided doing it when Hybrid Mana became a thing, and cards with Hybrid Mana had looked hideous in context menus for years.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

quote:

It's not ideal if you're asked to click mana in your pool when the converted mana cost of the spell you're casting is the same as the amount of mana in your mana pool, or if there's no choice in the types of mana you could use to cast a spell (perhaps if you have {W}{U}{U} in your pool when paying a {1}{W} cost).

Are you serious? gently caress that's going to get irritating.

I guess you can still click the spell first and shortcut that, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Always click the spell first in modo anyway, because that way you're less likely to accidentally cast the wrong thing.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Entropic posted:

Always click the spell first in modo anyway, because that way you're less likely to accidentally cast the wrong thing.
Correct. This has always been the easier method.
Also you won't screw up X spells this way.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Except maybe awaken spells. Those can be rough to click correctly.

Semi-related, in my last cube draft, both times my round 3 opponent dropped Koth he animated a summoning sick Mountain. :D

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Niton posted:

In the MODO team's defense, mana really did need this kind of overhaul - they avoided doing it when Hybrid Mana became a thing, and cards with Hybrid Mana had looked hideous in context menus for years.

I can only imagine what Reaper King looks like when you attempt to cast it.

There's also this tidbit that, while it probably didn't affect much, sounds really bad:

quote:

Let's say you've got two colorless, one red, and one green mana in your pool, and you wanted to cast a Firespout in your hand with {C}{R}{G}. There was literally no way to accomplish what you wanted to do. The menu on the Firespout card had a "Cast for {2}{R}" option and a "Cast for {2}{G}" option, but no "Cast for {1}{R}{G}" option.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Picked up magic online because I work third shift and never leave the house. Is there any advice i can get about how to start out or did I gently caress up?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

tgijsola posted:

V4 also ran like loving GARBAGE and had some terrible memory leak which is a huge problem with such a time sensitive game. Especially if it crashed during deck creation or drafting.

Its also frankly significantly uglier and the UI is also way worse for streaming. V4 essentially killed magic streaming which is really dumb for wotc. Even the VSL can't bring viewership numbers back up to what they used to be.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Captainsalami posted:

Picked up magic online because I work third shift and never leave the house. Is there any advice i can get about how to start out or did I gently caress up?
Watch a bunch of Magic on Twitch first, honestly. You'll get an idea of what the interface and drafts/sealed/etc is like without spending anything.

edit: Oh, and yeah you did gently caress up, but you're in good company.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

V4 also ran like loving GARBAGE and had some terrible memory leak which is a huge problem with such a time sensitive game. Especially if it crashed during deck creation or drafting.

Its also frankly significantly uglier and the UI is also way worse for streaming. V4 essentially killed magic streaming which is really dumb for wotc. Even the VSL can't bring viewership numbers back up to what they used to be.
Yea V4 was really, really bad at memory for a long time.

You're wrong about MTGO streaming though, it's above what it was pre V4, mostly due to streaming in general becoming more popular rather than anything else. Kenji routinely gets 1.5-2k+ viewers. Same with LSV. Even other streamers often get hundreds to 1-1.5K.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Well me and some buddies like to play but between full time jobs and life its real loving hard to get together. So magic online sounds like a good deal. What im asking is should I just not bother? Hearthstone isnt scratching that card game itch with me.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Despite their best effort MTGO is a largely functional, if not optimized experience.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

modo is a godawful program HOWEVER it is totally okay if you want to play some magic the gathering with digital objects.

The fact that it enforces the rules and is at least somewhat moderated makes it superior to the free programs imo.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

tgijsola posted:

I was under the impression that the back-end did not change much if at all, and the front end client was all that was new.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Oh okay. Yeah thats kinda why I picked it. Is there some advice i can get about buying the old card packs? Like what deck packs arent worth it, what can I skip to fill out a collection, ect. I didnt see a magic online thread, or if it matters.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

Procrastinator posted:

I was under the impression that the back-end did not change much if at all, and the front end client was all that was new.

Sorry, yeah, I meant just the client.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Here's a useful site:
http://mtgowikiprice.com
Here's another
http://www.goatbots.com/

Pretty much don't buy packs unless you're using them to draft.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This should help https://www.cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

This is really good and should probably be in the OP imo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There are some free card bots that you can get a shitload of free cards from. Also what you should buy 100% depends on exactly what and how you want to play. Never buy packs from the store, they're cheaper from bots. Also never open packs, just draft with them.

If you don't trust bots or aren't comfortable with the program mtgoacademy has a website that you can buy cards directly from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Captainsalami posted:

Well me and some buddies like to play but between full time jobs and life its real loving hard to get together. So magic online sounds like a good deal. What im asking is should I just not bother? Hearthstone isnt scratching that card game itch with me.

There are free alternatives that are superior to mtgo for private events, i think it's xmage that mostly gets used for the tournaments hosted by this very thread?

• Locked thread