Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Random question. I've just set up the AS7-S build from the OP, and I've ended up with four spare tons. Is it still in date? I've counted my weapons, counted my ammo, checked all the armour values. Not equipped artemis cause I'm broke, but that doesn't affect weight, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is the Stalker as bad as it is in every Mechwarrior game

No. Load up a Rhino Stalker and go blow up robots

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

tarbrush posted:

Random question. I've just set up the AS7-S build from the OP, and I've ended up with four spare tons. Is it still in date? I've counted my weapons, counted my ammo, checked all the armour values. Not equipped artemis cause I'm broke, but that doesn't affect weight, right?

Artemis adds one ton and one slot to each launcher so yes, that is where your extra 4 tons are coming from.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Are (IS) Streaks still a worthwhile investment?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Number19 posted:

Artemis adds one ton and one slot to each launcher so yes, that is where your extra 4 tons are coming from.

Ohhhhh. Neat. I will continue being cheap as poo poo then, and spend the weight on shitloads of armour.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

tarbrush posted:

Ohhhhh. Neat. I will continue being cheap as poo poo then, and spend the weight on shitloads of armour.

In the absence of Artemis on the SRMs I guess I'd do something like this:

Zombie Dad (AS7-S)

I don't like having the ammo in the arms but there's not much choice. The lasers needd be in the CT to give you a functional weapons system after you're stripped so I guess you have to use the arms for ammo. It's batter than doing something even worse like putting CASE on a torso or something.

e: save the lasers for when you've lost all the other weapons. They're a backup weapon only and are too hot for use in the push.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is the Stalker as bad as it is in every Mechwarrior game

Other people have commented, but the Stalker has been one of the best mechs to ever be added to the game. It's always had a build or two (or three) that is meta compliant, it has high mounts for its hardpoints, and the small arms and slim profile give the mech good durability and the ability to spread damage with a bit of pilot investment.

As long as you never run an XL.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
don't gently caress with the rhino

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Are (IS) Streaks still a worthwhile investment?

No, completely worthless.

The worthless weapons are SSRM2's, Machine guns, and flamers. Machine guns can actually accidently kill people sometimes but they are just a joke weapon, the other two might not even be able to kill a Popsicle.

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 27, 2016

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

The Rhino really is the best, I'm so sorry I ever tried to make you a boring LL sniper robot Mr. Stalker, I promise it won't happen again. Until PGI breaks SRMs or something again.

My IS CW deck right now is Rhino Stalker/Ghost Dad, LPL Quickdraw, Hunchback 4SP, Raven 3L. That's either 15 or 30 tons underweight, so it could be better. I've been thinking of swapping out the Hunchback for another heavy, maybe a Jager-DD since it's 1.) on sale and 2.) dakka. There's just so many drat mechs now since I came back to this game it's hard to know when I'm overlooking something good. I'm only looking to do CW for the free mechbays right now though so I suppose it doesn't have to be optimal.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
God loving dammit, the number of people utterly unable to hit stationary targets is astounding.
Now imagine those people moving and disabling arm lock like they saw in some pro videos and you have point blank misses....

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Reztes posted:

The Rhino really is the best, I'm so sorry I ever tried to make you a boring LL sniper robot Mr. Stalker, I promise it won't happen again. Until PGI breaks SRMs or something again.

My IS CW deck right now is Rhino Stalker/Ghost Dad, LPL Quickdraw, Hunchback 4SP, Raven 3L. That's either 15 or 30 tons underweight, so it could be better. I've been thinking of swapping out the Hunchback for another heavy, maybe a Jager-DD since it's 1.) on sale and 2.) dakka. There's just so many drat mechs now since I came back to this game it's hard to know when I'm overlooking something good. I'm only looking to do CW for the free mechbays right now though so I suppose it doesn't have to be optimal.
A Boomjager can be brutal in a CW deck, as long as you don't let your self get primaried and as long as you don't run out of ammo. The boomjager's lack of endurance when it comes to drawn out CW fights is it's weakness.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I actually saw a gargoyle today

It died

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

God loving dammit, the number of people utterly unable to hit stationary targets is astounding.
Now imagine those people moving and disabling arm lock like they saw in some pro videos and you have point blank misses....

The worst are the people with 2x zoom on targets within 100m :shepface:.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Drakes posted:

The worst are the people with 2x zoom on targets within 100m :shepface:.

Gotta make sure you hit that giant loving atlas CT.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ZenVulgarity posted:

I run my lb10x Crab and do fine in t3

I cracked 1000 damage and 5 kills in my MG/LPL/LRM King Crab over the weekend. Tier 3 pubbies are still mostly retarded.

The best Battlemaster is the one with xl400 and 7 MPL that goes like 82kph.

If I still have 5k MC from events and such, what heroes are on sale that are worth caring about?

I think I'm gonna request a refund on my Dragonslayer. They nerfed Victors so hard, I don't think they're ever going to be viable again.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Elliotw2 posted:

I thought they just wanted to get a close-up of the pilot as lasers are shot into their face.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Someone post the Rhino build, I'm retarded/lazy

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
A few pages late but i think i might be damaged somehow.

Being a poptarting dual-ppc rear end in a top hat is great AND strangely effective on the new map!

edit: Fixed border breaking

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 27, 2016

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Drythe posted:

Someone post the Rhino build, I'm retarded/lazy

here is jayz's build

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=46&l=50983cb71b9fd58a483f9b2a13dba01d269e9e65

Noir89 posted:

A few pages late but i think i might be damaged somehow.

you're not alone. i might buy the st.ives blues if it goes on sale. i have a feeling the vindicator is where a lot of the blackjack's structure quirks will be transferred to come next quirk pass. if there is any 45 ton mech that needs the durability of a 55 tonner, it's the vindicator.

teepo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 27, 2016

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Are there any good Griffin -2N builds?

Maybe the first mech I've had to downgrade because christ the ferro armor makes it impossible to fit anything in there.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Elliotw2 posted:

And then paint across all hitboxes, all of them, except maybe the cockpit.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Are there any good Griffin -2N builds?

Maybe the first mech I've had to downgrade because christ the ferro armor makes it impossible to fit anything in there.

GRF-2N

This is how I roll. You could slap a smaller STD engine on there if you want more ammo, or energy weapons...orrrrrrrrr more jump jets. But I dig the speed I get with this, the JJ lets me jump up on things, and it has enough ammo to wreck poo poo. Twist to the right, and pop SRMs in people face all day erry day.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Random Number posted:

Also use the c torso and I think the c legs as well, they get extra structure. Hit override at the beginning of a match.

You can alpha with the 10 spl build and go up to about 65% heat and still have 3 punches available that. Just remember you do 30 damage each time you punch and you'll murder mans.

You can mix and match your torso and legs to taste; depending on whether you prefer a little more structure, more acceleration, or more turning. If you have access to the NVA-D, it's got the beefiest left and right torsos (doubling down on the extra stucture with extra armor to match) but the NVA-C and NVA-B RTs have 5% energy cooldown quirks. For the LT, the NVA-A has armor instead of structure, which is nice.

I've played all three of these builds and they perform very similarly. I prefer the "standard" SPL Nova in the middle, did perfectly fine with the ER Small Nova, and found the asymmetry of the third build more irritating than helpful, but YMMV.

ER Small Laser Nova
Heat per Second profile: 12 * (3/3.25)*0.9 = 9.97 HpS
Heat per Volley : 12 * (3*0.9) = 32.4 Heat
Perks:
- 200m optimal range
- Marginally better at hot maps, but hot maps still suck.
Drawbacks:
- Ghost heat on alpha is a murderous 92.28 heat before quirks; NEVER ALPHA.
- Slower burn due to non-pulse means harder to focus damage when people are twisting
- Heat spikes higher

Small Pulse Laser Nova
Heat per Second profile: 10 * (3/3)*0.95 = 9.5 HpS
Heat per Volley: 10 * (3*0.95) = 28.5 Heat
Perks:
- Pulse lasers mean shorter burn time. Same damage on target is faster and more precise
- Alpha heat is only 46.2, just about half the alpha of the ERS build. Doesn't instantly send you past 100% overheat and can one-shot unaware mechs from behind.
- Better at cool maps
Drawbacks:
- 165m optimal range is balls
- Suffers more on hot maps

Asymmetric Small Pulse Nova
Heat per Second profile: 10 * (3/3)*0.925 = 9.25 HpS
Heat per Volley: 10 * (3*0.925) = 27.75 Heat
Perks:
- Runs ever so slightly cooler than the other pulse build
- Better at everything heat-related
- Asymmetric build, can shield with the side with fewer weapons and does not suffer quite as much by losing the left arm/left torso.
Drawbacks:
- Asymmetric build, can be annoying around certain corners. Losing the RA is very slightly worse than in the other build, and losing the RT costs you an extra laser
- You probably won't notice a 2.5% reduction in heat

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I am very close to making a terrifically poor decision, but there's no stopping that. If you were forced to use an Anansi, would you put on an SRM6 or an SRM4+A? I can't decide between the value of more raw damage in a burst, or efficiency on a 'mech that is no matter what going to need to stick around for more than one attack to do any appreciable damage.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
There's no point to using srm6s over asrm4s unless you are facehugging an awesome or something, the 6s spread means you do less overall damage to what you are actually aiming at than with A4s.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
8 spls on the nova is the sweet spot, trust.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
GUYS! GUYS!
I bought a Laseregg 4N and it made Highlands fun!

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Weird, this is my Rhino version:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=47&l=6ec16cf7037e2ae62302a15f4d743acc252e93e5
It's quite hot if I have to melt more than one CT at a time, but I also run out of ammo more than I'd like. Still, 88 point alphas are great. I do see the appeal of the 5M's CT energy slot, my Stalker gets popsicled pretty often.

ZombyDog posted:

A Boomjager can be brutal in a CW deck, as long as you don't let your self get primaried and as long as you don't run out of ammo. The boomjager's lack of endurance when it comes to drawn out CW fights is it's weakness.

Is Boomjager dual AC/20 or Gauss? I was thinking of going for the DD with triple UAC/5, is that version lovely now?

Reztes fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 28, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Why do you think people advise spending the tonnage on artemis?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I still like the classic Rhino Stalker: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=46&l=f48f8bf6cfd8ed2ebe3ada0355d0f2035389da97

It's the best sustained DPS option available but it's possible to get popsicled and has no longer range options available.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Here's a gif I stole from a 2013 thread, artemis v regular SRM6 spread at max range, 120 shots.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
This game is 200% more fun when you just alt-F4 and relaunch in a different mech every time Polar comes up.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

A.o.D. posted:

Why do you think people advise spending the tonnage on artemis?

I know drat well why artemis is a good idea, it's just it costs 1.2 million spacebucks, and I'm space poor.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Btw, new event is up appearently: http://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201601payback

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

A really minor one since I dont own any of those but whatever, a million extra spacebucks just for playing as normal is fine considering Maulers next week.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Vorenus posted:

This game is 200% more fun when you just alt-F4 and relaunch in a different mech every time Polar comes up.

I think they call that ghost dropping

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I don't think Aretimis on an Atlas S is that important. I have ran them both ways and find the extra tons is better spent on heatsinks and ammo. Firing SRM6's at max range is a bit silly anyhow, most times I am unloadong on robots under 150 meters.

Panopticon01
Jul 29, 2006

The All-Seeing Eye

Willfrey posted:

I don't think Aretimis on an Atlas S is that important. I have ran them both ways and find the extra tons is better spent on heatsinks and ammo. Firing SRM6's at max range is a bit silly anyhow, most times I am unloadong on robots under 150 meters.

I would like an invite into the WoL clan please. in game name is panopticon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

hahaha gently caress that event. Restricting it to the special collectors editions for those packs is hilarious.

• Locked thread