Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
apparently the top ranked player in pokken was booked for some big national tourney but decided gently caress it and went to the osaka zoo all day instead of showing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Gologle posted:

Watch Pokken be the hypest tourney at EVO. Just watch.

Wouldn't shock me; it probably has the lowest expectations of the entire batch (if any) and will probably surprise some people.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Having played it, it's a bad, broken, stupid game. Gengar has legit infinites and Pikachu is far and away the best not-actually-broken character by virtue of him being a Mishima.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Melee's shambling corpse will never rest, but at least we've managed to kill SF4.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mango sentinel posted:

Melee's shambling corpse will never rest, but at least we've managed to kill SF4.
source your quotes

dragon enthusiast posted:

apparently the top ranked player in pokken was booked for some big national tourney but decided gently caress it and went to the osaka zoo all day instead of showing up

Now this is a community I can get behind, one that just does not give a single gently caress

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the separate arena for sunday that's a half hour tram ride away from the main venue is goofy as gently caress. How's that even gonna work when half of the crowd will only be there for one game before clearing out? The hell do you do if you show up for something and the smash players have already camped out their seats?

edit:did they announce the actual hotel?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mr. Wizard took it a whole another level of bribery from nintendo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, the EVO game list is super easy to understand. Capcom backed up a truck full of cash to get SFV but not SF4 in, Microsoft backed up a truck full of cash to get their lovely game in, NRS backed up a truck full of ESPORTS cash to get MKX in, Namco backed up TWO trucks full of cash and promised that hey, these games are gonna be out in time for people to play them we swear, the Smash community backed up a truck full of rabid autistic kids ready to be unleashed on Mr. Wizard if they didn't get both games in, token anime representation, and Mr. Wizard is a Marvel bitch.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You have to appreciate how much the man loves Marvel doe.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I hope kbr defends marvel

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Pomp posted:

the separate arena for sunday that's a half hour tram ride away from the main venue is goofy as gently caress. How's that even gonna work when half of the crowd will only be there for one game before clearing out? The hell do you do if you show up for something and the smash players have already camped out their seats?

edit:did they announce the actual hotel?

There is no official hotel. The closest to an official hotel that exists is the Westgate, which was loving terrible during Evo 2014, since that's where the tournament will be on Friday and Saturday. They're not using the good part of the Westgate-- the ballrooms-- either; just the hotel.

This whole setup is horrendous. Friday and Saturday are at a venue a mile from the rear end end of the strip and then Sunday is almost literally on the other side of town. Organizing after hours meetups and salty suites is going to be a huge pain because there's no official hotel. There is no casuals area of any kind on Sunday. I have no clue how people are expected to get to and from the Sunday venue. Sunday seating is purchased arena-style from what I understand, meaning you have to organize seating choices with your friends well in advance. The Sunday situation basically forces the whole crowd to sit through every game whether they like them or not, and half the lineup consists of games which aren't out yet so very few non-Smash players will even be invested in sticking around that long.

I can conjure like a billion better ways this could have been handled. You'd have to go out of your way to gently caress up this hard.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
The Westgate is the official hotel, Wiz said so on stream.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

There is no official hotel. The closest to an official hotel that exists is the Westgate, which was loving terrible during Evo 2014, since that's where the tournament will be on Friday and Saturday. They're not using the good part of the Westgate-- the ballrooms-- either; just the hotel.

This whole setup is horrendous. Friday and Saturday are at a venue a mile from the rear end end of the strip and then Sunday is almost literally on the other side of town. Organizing after hours meetups and salty suites is going to be a huge pain because there's no official hotel. There is no casuals area of any kind on Sunday. I have no clue how people are expected to get to and from the Sunday venue. Sunday seating is purchased arena-style from what I understand, meaning you have to organize seating choices with your friends well in advance. The Sunday situation basically forces the whole crowd to sit through every game whether they like them or not, and half the lineup consists of games which aren't out yet so very few non-Smash players will even be invested in sticking around that long.

I can conjure like a billion better ways this could have been handled. You'd have to go out of your way to gently caress up this hard.

welcome 2 esports

E: its not that hard to understand. They wanted a huge arena for 12k people, and because of that things like casual setups and poo poo like that will have to be sacrificed. If its first come first serve seating then you're going to want to get there early for good seats. It'll be worth it though because 12k people losing their poo poo over hype matches is the best (I went to the Dota international and it was loving insane).

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 27, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Jmcrofts posted:

The Westgate is the official hotel, Wiz said so on stream.
i mean sure this hotel was shady and gross and in an inconvenient location, but they had 7$ breakfast sandwiches available 24 hours at the spot next to the sports book.

so, in my opinion, great choice for evo

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

The REAL Goobusters posted:

welcome 2 esports

E: its not that hard to understand. They wanted a huge arena for 12k people, and because of that things like casual setups and poo poo like that will have to be sacrificed. If its first come first serve seating then you're going to want to get there early for good seats. It'll be worth it though because 12k people losing their poo poo over hype matches is the best (I went to the Dota international and it was loving insane).
When I went in 2012 at Caesars, there were no casual setups or even vendor booths in the main hall on Sunday anyway. I assumed the last few years have been different with people complaining about it.

I believe that Wizard said that tickets will have assigned seating but who knows how much that will be followed or even matter, due to the different games being played. That'll probably keep the arena from ever filling up.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Gologle posted:

You have to appreciate how much the man loves McRibs doe.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

welcome 2 esports

that room will never be anywhere near full.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Sounds like Evo is gonna be pretty lovely. 3 games with pikachu, none of them really fighting games. This esports as hell finals day is sounds like it is gonna be horrible. Are they really doing Mele before the SFV finals? The arena is gonna be half empty.

At least CEO will own like always

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If Genesis 3 was any indication, they won't lack for an audience for Melee. Also, FWIW, MarkMan has expressed an interest in running a side event for USF4, so that could be a thing. Sucks that people basically need to get hotels out of the way now with a potential event up in the air.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

bhsman posted:

If Genesis 3 was any indication, they won't lack for an audience for Melee.

That has nothing to do with why the regulars hate that smash is in twice.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

bhsman posted:

If Genesis 3 was any indication, they won't lack for an audience for Melee. Also, FWIW, MarkMan has expressed an interest in running a side event for USF4, so that could be a thing. Sucks that people basically need to get hotels out of the way now with a potential event up in the air.

I know they show up, the problem is that there is next to 0 overlap in the fanbases and with this being a ticketed event half the people will buy tickets for Smash and the other half for FGC games leading to half the arena disappearing when their game isn't up.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Have you ever been to Evo? The last few games of Sunday Finals are always so packed people end up sitting in the aisles and causing a fire hazard.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tae posted:

That has nothing to do with why the regulars hate that smash is in twice.

I'm not unaware, I'm just saying claiming they won't be able to fill a hall because Melee is being played seems quite the opposite of what usually happens.

lamentable dustman posted:

I know they show up, the problem is that there is next to 0 overlap in the fanbases and with this being a ticketed event half the people will buy tickets for Smash and the other half for FGC games leading to half the arena disappearing when their game isn't up.

I got the impression the place was full (maybe due to how they showed the crowd, in fairness), but this seems like it would be a problem no matter the game. If anything, Pokken is more egregious (and in fact strikes me as the extra 8th game than Tekken 7).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

iPodschun posted:

When I went in 2012 at Caesars, there were no casual setups or even vendor booths in the main hall on Sunday anyway. I assumed the last few years have been different with people complaining about it.
They removed the BYOC area from the main room when they added the side viewing room, which was in 2012. That was also the year they charged extra for whether or not you could be in the main room on Sunday. The BYOC area and stuff has been in the side room ever since, although there will be no side room this year at all. Supposedly all the stuff is gonna be in the main room on Friday and Saturday, but who loving knows what's going to happen on Sunday?

Jmcrofts posted:

Have you ever been to Evo? The last few games of Sunday Finals are always so packed people end up sitting in the aisles and causing a fire hazard.
Yeah, especially what with people being unable to leave this year since the venue is so far from the hotel. I don't doubt it'll be crowded, but I'm willing to bet it's not going to be a good time.

cams posted:

i mean sure this hotel was shady and gross and in an inconvenient location, but they had 7$ breakfast sandwiches available 24 hours at the spot next to the sports book.

so, in my opinion, great choice for evo
"Terrible service and prices? Eh. Pizza Hut in the lobby? SOLD" - Wizard, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pomp posted:

that room will never be anywhere near full.

Going from the info of this post, last year's Evo had 10k entrants. Since it's reasonable to assume the event will only get bigger in time (that's generally what the community is aiming to do? I don't think anyone wants the FGC to stagnate now), it probably can get to that point eventually if FGs continue to grow as esports and get more pure spectators. Not this year probably give the natural divide between game scenes, or even the next 1 or 2 years, but it isn't unreasonable that we could get to the point soon where that stadium could be filled. And the fact that it's in some sort of mildly big Arena makes it more attractive as an event for spectators, regardless if the Arena will have any effect on the quality of play itself.

lamentable dustman posted:

3 games with pikachu, none of them really fighting games.

lol, can't believe this is still a thing in 2016

Well, at least I can give you Pokken. I have no idea what the hell that game is doing.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dragon enthusiast posted:

I hope kbr defends marvel

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Smash is a party game

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, especially what with people being unable to leave this year since the venue is so far from the hotel. I don't doubt it'll be crowded, but I'm willing to bet it's not going to be a good time.

Feel free to not come if you don't think it's going to be fun, I'm sure someone will appreciate there being 1 more pass available before they sell out.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

(I went to the Dota international and it was loving insane).

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Ventana posted:

Going from the info of this post, last year's Evo had 10k entrants. Since it's reasonable to assume the event will only get bigger in time (that's generally what the community is aiming to do? I don't think anyone wants the FGC to stagnate now), it probably can get to that point eventually if FGs continue to grow as esports and get more pure spectators. Not this year probably give the natural divide between game scenes, or even the next 1 or 2 years, but it isn't unreasonable that we could get to the point soon where that stadium could be filled. And the fact that it's in some sort of mildly big Arena makes it more attractive as an event for spectators, regardless if the Arena will have any effect on the quality of play itself.

lol, can't believe this is still a thing in 2016

Well, at least I can give you Pokken. I have no idea what the hell that game is doing.

lol u dumbass! youre as dumb as a butt!!!!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
KBR vs F-Champ at Winter Brawl

Gonna make so much side betting on idiots who take KBR

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
I think as a spectator this EVO is going to be pretty sick, but as a competitor it's balls. Four games that haven't even been released yet worldwide, one of which doesn't even have a release date yet (Tekken 7). It'd be cool if Pokken was actually a good competitive FG, but blindly introducing it is just all sorts of stupid from a competitive standpoint. It makes for great promotion I guess?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

That Pokemon Super Bowl commercial got me hype for Pokken at EVO.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

apple posted:

I think as a spectator this EVO is going to be pretty sick, but as a competitor it's balls. Four games that haven't even been released yet worldwide, one of which doesn't even have a release date yet (Tekken 7). It'd be cool if Pokken was actually a good competitive FG, but blindly introducing it is just all sorts of stupid from a competitive standpoint. It makes for great promotion I guess?

I remember RIP saying that he would never touch Pokken again after winning the exhibition tournament Namco held last year. Obviously there'll be some changes between that version and the one released on home consoles, but it didn't sound like balance changes would get him to change his opinion.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The game looks like it wasn't made for competitive play in mind

It's like one of the DBZ budokai games with Pokemon skins

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

HoneyBoy posted:

The game looks like it wasn't made for competitive play in mind

It's like one of the DBZ budokai games with Pokemon skins

It's more like they took the Clash of Ninja games and the Ninja Storm games and smashed them into one confusing unsatisfying experience.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Nodoze posted:

KBR vs F-Champ at Winter Brawl

Gonna make so much side betting on idiots who take KBR

kbr is gonna pull his wolv doom vergil team and still lose anyways
i've seen it in the stars

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
KBR/FChamp is one of those matches both KBR and FChamp know is super one-sided, which is exactly why FChamp's been pushing for that poo poo since EVO, because that's the fucker's MO.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Former Evo champ challenges defending Evo champ, nothing wrong with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I really want to see Champ get bodied but yeah it's gonna be at least 10-4 in his favor