Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

UberJew posted:

There are free alternatives that are superior to mtgo for private events, i think it's xmage that mostly gets used for the tournaments hosted by this very thread?

It's worth noting that the pauper goon league got 30 entrants specifically because it was on MTGO only so we could avoid having to use Xmage.

Because Xmage is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Where would i look for deck resources? Last time i played this it was back in 7th edition. Thanks for the patience with these dumb questions.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

UberJew posted:

There are free alternatives that are superior to mtgo for private events, i think it's xmage that mostly gets used for the tournaments hosted by this very thread?

Xmage is fine, but has it's own issues. Some cards don't work properly (much like modo, but usually in more grievous ways) and some cards are just missing. We ran into that problem in the command zone tournament, where one player and their opponents have to use cockatrice because a card just isn't in xmage and another player was attempting to abuse a specific interaction only to find that the interaction doesn't work properly in xmage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captainsalami posted:

Where would i look for deck resources? Last time i played this it was back in 7th edition. Thanks for the patience with these dumb questions.

Sites like mtgtop8 and tcdecks have tournament-winning lists from various formats, if that's what you mean.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Did I miss the release of the OGW update bulletin, or are they taking their sweet time getting that out?

EDIT:

Captainsalami posted:

Well me and some buddies like to play but between full time jobs and life its real loving hard to get together. So magic online sounds like a good deal. What im asking is should I just not bother? Hearthstone isnt scratching that card game itch with me.

I'd go with Cockatrice if you're playing with friends - it has all the cards but no rules enforcement, which works great with people you know and trust and pretty much nobody else.

GottaPayDaTrollToll fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 28, 2016

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
I have a weakness for stupid gimmic decks. Also commander sounds fun.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Captainsalami posted:

I have a weakness for stupid gimmic decks. Also commander sounds fun.

It isn't.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Oops. Commander is that thing that people get wierdly polarized about isnt it?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Captainsalami posted:

Pretty much. Don't take my word for it, go ahead and try it.

I've just had some pretty bad experiences. It might be different online, I don't know.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Captainsalami posted:

Yes. Mostly the argument is about the enjoyment of a game designed for 2 players being used for 3+ compared to just playing a board game that is designed for that many players.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Captainsalami posted:

That's Magic in general. I don't really enjoy playing it online though, it's really something you're meant to do with buddies when you've got a lot of time to kill.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only real problem with Commander is that it's seen as a casual, fun format, so people disagree on how hard you're supposed to actually try to win at it. As long as you're playing it with people who are on the same wavelength as you, you're good. It's the format where there's a high enough power level that it's possible to combo off on turn 3 to instantly win in a 4 player game, but if you do that the people you're playing with are liable to grumble that that's "not what Commander is supposed to be about".

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Commander is a great format with some of the most obnoxious magic players on earth.

A good analogy is fantasy sports enthusiasts. A fair amount of them will keep silent and enjoy their team winning, but there is an equally large, and far more vocal, contingent who will not shut up about how X thing will affect their fantasy team.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
How much fun Commander is is directly proportional to how open and communicative you and your friends are about what you do and don't enjoy, and inversely proportional to how personally you take losing in games.

Personally I find playing Commander with people whose primary format is Commander completely insufferable but they would probably not like playing it with me very much either so everyone wins! Playing Commander on MODO sounds like it'd be the least pleasant thing you could do with a computer.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 28, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
They should just get around the Reserved List by resuming production of completely unaltered Revised Edition. Those aren't technically reprints the way the term "reprint" is used. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. This is foolproof.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Two-Headed giant is much better way to play Magic with more than 2 players at a time and I'm surprised it's not more popular as a constructed format. I guess it requires more organization and it's harder to do pick-up games.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

They should just get around the Reserved List by resuming production of completely unaltered Revised Edition. Those aren't technically reprints the way the term "reprint" is used. Trust me, I'm a lawyer. This is foolproof.

Unlimited Edition, man. "What, you thought the name wasn't literal?"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Unlimited Edition, man. "What, you thought the name wasn't literal?"

I'm being funny, but I'm reasonably confident that it would be legal to just reprint entire Reserved List covered sets even if someone was inclined to think of the Reserved List as a real contract. Trade usage of the term "reprint" has always meant "the same (or functionally identical) card in a new set."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 28, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What about reprinting revised in the new frame, with Oracle text, etc?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
But the wacky old templating would be the best part!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The crazy alternate color rectangles was the best part about the dual lands. Also the funny tap symbol.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
Has there been a major standard tournament with Oath yet?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Roshambo posted:

Has there been a major standard tournament with Oath yet?

Last weekend there was the open. Lot of the same old stuff with a little bit of new stuff sprinkled in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

What about reprinting revised in the new frame, with Oracle text, etc?

There wouldn't even be a reason to worry about it because there's no such thing as limited with Revised. It's basically 10 duals and like Birds of Paradise.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

There wouldn't even be a reason to worry about it because there's no such thing as limited with Revised. It's basically 10 duals and like Birds of Paradise.
You take the shivan dragon.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Entropic posted:

The only real problem with Commander is that it's seen as a casual, fun format, so people disagree on how hard you're supposed to actually try to win at it. As long as you're playing it with people who are on the same wavelength as you, you're good. It's the format where there's a high enough power level that it's possible to combo off on turn 3 to instantly win in a 4 player game, but if you do that the people you're playing with are liable to grumble that that's "not what Commander is supposed to be about".

Hopping Ghost posted:

How much fun Commander is is directly proportional to how open and communicative you and your friends are about what you do and don't enjoy, and inversely proportional to how personally you take losing in games.

Personally I find playing Commander with people whose primary format is Commander completely insufferable but they would probably not like playing it with me very much either so everyone wins! Playing Commander on MODO sounds like it'd be the least pleasant thing you could do with a computer.

These two posts sum up Commander pretty well. Depending on who you're playing with, a game of Commander can mean anything from trying to combo off as fast as possible with combinations of some of the most hilariously broken cards ever printed, or it could mean a bunch of guys drinking beers and loving around with all the goofiest poo poo from their jank binder. The important thing is that you communicate with the people you're playing with and everyone goes into the game with the same expectations.

Tryhard Commander seems totally awful to me but if your idea of fun is shuffling 99 cards to see who can tutor out their instant win combo the fastest then do whatever floats your boat.

Sickening posted:

Last weekend there was the open. Lot of the same old stuff with a little bit of new stuff sprinkled in.

UR Prowess is a thing now that there's Swiftspear #5-8 and a whole bunch of relevant cantrips. Hitting Expedite off Abbot is boner-inducing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Voyager I posted:

These two posts sum up Commander pretty well. Depending on who you're playing with, a game of Commander can mean anything from trying to combo off as fast as possible with combinations of some of the most hilariously broken cards ever printed, or it could mean a bunch of guys drinking beers and loving around with all the goofiest poo poo from their jank binder. The important thing is that you communicate with the people you're playing with and everyone goes into the game with the same expectations.

Tryhard Commander seems totally awful to me but if your idea of fun is shuffling 99 cards to see who can tutor out their instant win combo the fastest then do whatever floats your boat.

UR Prowess is a thing now that there's Swiftspear #5-8 and a whole bunch of relevant cantrips. Hitting Expedite off Abbot is boner-inducing.

That is why I said "sprinkled in". It looks like new decks only made up a little less than 20% of the field. Maybe this weekend will be different.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

For those that love to make fun of mtgfinance.

http://blog.mtgprice.com/2016/01/27/why-you-should-get-a-real-job/

Yes, it has a lot of satire but a lot of that should be repeated to anyone you know that thinks that making money of magic is really a thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

For those that love to make fun of mtgfinance.

http://blog.mtgprice.com/2016/01/27/why-you-should-get-a-real-job/

Yes, it has a lot of satire but a lot of that should be repeated to anyone you know that thinks that making money of magic is really a thing.

It reads as a completely legitimate critique of MTG Finance Guy and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was intended as such but phrased as tongue-in-cheek so that the targeted audience wouldn't feel quite so bad.

I mean, I guess they could have accidentally posted a completely dead-on criticism of the movement, but the editor's note that's like "we're here to help you maximize the money you spend on Magic" makes it sound like he's legit shook by the people who treat it as a fake stock market. :shrug:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 28, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Common lies from people who play magic.

1> I make money playing magic
2> I speculate on cards to supplement my hobby in a meaningful way

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sickening posted:

That is why I said "sprinkled in". It looks like new decks only made up a little less than 20% of the field. Maybe this weekend will be different.
I mean that's true but every existing deck had a couple of new tools.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Oh also the new take on Eldrazi ramp revolves largely around cards that didn't exist before this cycle like World Breaker.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

Common lies from people who play magic.

1> I make money playing magic
2> I speculate on cards to supplement my hobby in a meaningful way

I at least play for free. Some of the Brazilian guys actually were using modo as a job for awhile but also their minimum wage in their country at the time was like $3 USD so it's a bit misleading.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

rabidsquid posted:

I at least play for free. Some of the Brazilian guys actually were using modo as a job for awhile but also their minimum wage in their country at the time was like $3 USD so it's a bit misleading.

They made the prizing quite a bit worse since that was possible, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

They made the prizing quite a bit worse since that was possible, though.

Why do that? It's literally scrip currency, you're not out anything for it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, mtgo is the easiest it's ever been to go infinite right now imo. Earn play points from leagues, spend them on pptqs, play in mocs.

You just can't do it primarily through dailies like you used to is all.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why do that? It's literally scrip currency, you're not out anything for it

If Wizards makes it too easy to go infinite on Magic Online then they don't make any money from selling tix and boosters. Also, because of set redemption, boosters cards and tix DO have real world value. I doubt lenient mtgo payouts would ever impact the price of physical cards, but I'm sure they get pressure from the business side to keep it in check.

They can go hog wild with Play Points though because those can't just be turned into cash.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://judgecast.com/?p=930

This is the inside info on the judge bannings pretty much unfiltered. Its a long listen but I enjoyed it. Seems like it wasn't just WOTC loving over judges, but judges hosed over each other. Don't be judge.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Sickening posted:

http://judgecast.com/?p=930

This is the inside info on the judge bannings pretty much unfiltered. Its a long listen but I enjoyed it. Seems like it wasn't just WOTC loving over judges, but judges hosed over each other. Don't be judge.

I can't listen, can anyone give the cliffs notes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Pretty much. Don't take my word for it, go ahead and try it.

I've just had some pretty bad experiences. It might be different online, I don't know.

I found commander to be a lot of fun online actually. I never really saw people get salty, and if they do, you aren't going to run into them very often anyway. I would definitely suggest making use of the F8 hotkey, and have your browser open on the side to zone out with on other people's turns. I took all of the instants out of my decks after the first couple of games. Since you're not playing with friends, there isn't really any banter to fill in the time while you are waiting.

• Locked thread