Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Wh-what is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

It's a single celled protein combined with synthetic aminos, vitamins, and minerals. Everything the body needs.

xergm fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 15, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Found a place that I can order hearts from. I'll have the bastard by friday and will be eating it Saturday. Only time will tell if I will enjoy it. My family think I am turning into some kind of wild animal and are thoroughly disgusted by the whole idea.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I must try this beef hearts thing. My go-to chili is a 50/50 mix of cubed chuck and pork shoulder... if I can keep the porkiness while also attaining MAXIMUM BEEF it would be pretty awesome.

Downside is my wife will probably be mad at me for doing weird food things that she finds gross. Guess that means I just have to eat it all myself...

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I got a crock pot slow cooker for Christmas. Are there any adjustments I need to make to stove top recipes to make them suitable? Presumably using less liquid?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

reality_groove posted:

I got a crock pot slow cooker for Christmas. Are there any adjustments I need to make to stove top recipes to make them suitable? Presumably using less liquid?

I use a single dark beer and about 3 cups of beef stock for ~6lbs solid components in my slow cooker chili. Never failed me before.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

reality_groove posted:

Don't forget to brown the meat in a separate pan, then deglaze and dump that into the crock pot. Wouldn't wanna miss out on all that flavor.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

reality_groove posted:

If you're using beans in your recipe make sure to use canned kidney beans instead of dry. Primarily because most slow cookers will not reach the temperature where the poison inherent in kidney beans is cooked out if you use dry. Not doing that will cause hellacious diarrhea.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you're using beans in your recipe make sure to use canned kidney beans instead of dry. Primarily because most slow cookers will not reach the temperature where the poison inherent in kidney beans is cooked out if you use dry. Not doing that will cause hellacious diarrhea.

Or... Cook the beans beforehand?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

Or... Cook the beans beforehand?

Or do the beans separate.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Anyone else add anchovy paste to their chili?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So got my beef heart today. Cubed and seared off in pan before dumping into the crock pot along with some chuck for the meat. soaking black beans to add it tomorrow after cooking for a while. Gonna be goooooood...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BrandorKP posted:

Anyone else add anchovy paste to their chili?

I've heard good things about using that or soy sauce to add umami flavor. I like to use dried mushrooms.

Crazyeyes posted:

So got my beef heart today. Cubed and seared off in pan before dumping into the crock pot along with some chuck for the meat. soaking black beans to add it tomorrow after cooking for a while. Gonna be goooooood...

How much was it? I'd love to see pics. Beef heart is one of those things I've always wanted to try. I bet beef heart and bone-in short ribs would be awesome.

I also want to get some barrow bones to add in. Anyone try that? I have a love affair with bone marrow.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've heard good things about using that or soy sauce to add umami flavor. I like to use dried mushrooms.

How much was it? I'd love to see pics. Beef heart is one of those things I've always wanted to try. I bet beef heart and bone-in short ribs would be awesome.

I also want to get some barrow bones to add in. Anyone try that? I have a love affair with bone marrow.

2.99/lb. The only place around me who would sell me one was an Amish butcher at a farmer's market so it is grass fed and all that fancy stuff. The heart was ~5lbs (paid $15 flat for it) to start before trimming and got just over 2 lbs of meat from it after my crude attempt to trim it. I suspect if I like the result I will be able to get a better yield from future ones, but i was being overly cautious trying to remove connective tissues and such this time.

I cooked and ate a few little bits to try it out as I trimmed. It had an interesting bite to the texture that is kind of hard to explain but the flavor was on point. I'll snap a picture of it in the crock pot near the finale, but my expectations are very high for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crazyeyes posted:

2.99/lb. The only place around me who would sell me one was an Amish butcher at a farmer's market so it is grass fed and all that fancy stuff. The heart was ~5lbs (paid $15 flat for it) to start before trimming and got just over 2 lbs of meat from it after my crude attempt to trim it. I suspect if I like the result I will be able to get a better yield from future ones, but i was being overly cautious trying to remove connective tissues and such this time.

I cooked and ate a few little bits to try it out as I trimmed. It had an interesting bite to the texture that is kind of hard to explain but the flavor was on point. I'll snap a picture of it in the crock pot near the finale, but my expectations are very high for it.

Cool, thanks. I'll see if my local guys carry them; there's a bunch of butchers nearby and they're all pretty awesome. I did a brief search online and apparently most of them are sold cut in half to make it easier to get the stuff inside out.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Cool, thanks. I'll see if my local guys carry them; there's a bunch of butchers nearby and they're all pretty awesome. I did a brief search online and apparently most of them are sold cut in half to make it easier to get the stuff inside out.

yeah most places have them kinda splayed open I guess for inspection purposes and valve removal? Mine was a solid piece and it made it difficult to work with as a new comer to the cut.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Put connective tissues in with your marrow. I'm still waiting to do my heart chilli, but I want an oxtail broth I think..

It's what your great grandmother would have done..

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So checked on my chili. Worryingly greasy. How can I remedy?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well either let it chill and scrape it off, if its mostly settled and the grease is on top then laying paper towels over will soak most of it up or you can spoon it off

or just eat it

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Anyone considered cow tongue in a chili?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jose posted:

just eat it

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Tony Homo posted:

Anyone considered cow tongue in a chili?

Hmm. Tongue does cook up a lot like pot roast...

Crazyeyes posted:

So checked on my chili. Worryingly greasy. How can I remedy?

Are you using my modified Iron Leg recipe? Is it done cooking? What fats and proteins did you add?

If it's waaaay too greasy, just fridge it and skim some of the solidified fat off the top. Be sure to leave a bit, though, that's the flavor and spice in there.

Let us know as soon as you sample the chili, I want to know if I got another heart convert here.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 24, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Oops, wrong thread

wormil fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 25, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you using my modified Iron Leg recipe? Is it done cooking? What fats and proteins did you add?

If it's waaaay too greasy, just fridge it and skim some of the solidified fat off the top. Be sure to leave a bit, though, that's the flavor and spice in there.

Let us know as soon as you sample the chili, I want to know if I got another heart convert here.

1: I made up my own recipe as follows:

For the chili paste/slurry:

-3 each dried guajillos, arbols. Seeded
-1 heaping spoonful each of ancho chili powder, chipotle powder, half-sharp paprika, cumin seeds
-1/2 spoonful oregano

-toasted the cumin in a cast iron pan and ground up. Get enough hot water to cover peppers in small vessel toss in powders and spices as well. Leave to soak/soften for a bit (30-45 minutes; or you can cook them on the stove for 5-10 minutes and they will soften nicely), then throw everything in blender and puree. Set aside.

For meat:

-1 beef heart, trimmed, cleaned, cut into cubes. (I got ~2lbs as stated before)
-2lb chuck roast

~1 lb dried black beans
-a big gob of beef base mixed with water to make ~3c broth
-1 bottle Bass Ale. I had none of my chili go-to Triple Bock on hand so had to improv on this.

Threw the beans in a bowl with water last night to start re-hydration process. Seared off the heart and the roast and threw in crock pot with beef stock and spice puree. Put ceramic in fridge ready to cook this morning and went to sleep.

Woke up and put on low around 8:30. Added the beer at this point and it began to cook.

finished beans in a pressure cooker after they didn't soften enough just boiling on stove by the time i needed them added to be on time for dinner.

Dumped in beans about an hour before serving. About 15 minutes before I mixed up some corn starch in cold water and added that to thicken the liquid.

Final Appearance:

In the bowl with some shredded cheddar, crushed jalapenos and a biscuit. Served over a bed of basmati rice (didn't have any regular white rice)

As you can see, this was a very carefully measured and prepared meal...

:siren:FINAL VERDICT:siren: Goddamn delicious! I am a convert to the use of heart. I am not sure it was entirely worth the hour+ it took to trim and cut it up, but the results are undeniable. Dis poo poo is the bomb.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Looks awesome! Cleaning the heart definitely gets easier as you do it more and I'd imagine it's also easier to do when its precut in half, though I've never tried doing a whole one.

social media guru
Jan 18, 2016

by Cowcaster
My #favoritechili is #hormel because their cans have a easy open top and are a great #brand

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

As you can see, this was a very carefully measured and prepared meal...

:siren:FINAL VERDICT:siren: Goddamn delicious! I am a convert to the use of heart. I am not sure it was entirely worth the hour+ it took to trim and cut it up, but the results are undeniable. Dis poo poo is the bomb.

Looks fantastic! Did the grease issue settle down? Also, you'll get quicker at heart dissection. Here's a good quick overveiw from my man Scott Rea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_lxbkFcbgM&t=125s. You'll see he's got a half there, but just chunking it up and removing the really stringly bits. I've also only worked with half hearts before, but my first time cleaning it I was super picky and it took forever. Now I just chunk 'em up, carve out the nasty scraps, and feed 'em to the dog and cats, who are nuts for beef heart.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 24, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Looks fantastic! Did the grease issue settle down? Also, you'll get quicker at heart dissection. Here's a good quick overveiw from my man Scott Rea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_lxbkFcbgM&t=125s. You'll see he's got a half there, but just chunking it up and removing the really stringly bits. I've also only worked with half hearts before, but my first time cleaning it I was super picky and it took forever. Now I just chunk 'em up, carve out the nasty scraps, and feed 'em to the dog and cats, who are nuts for beef heart.

I pulled out all the liquid and skimmed it a bit, but by the end the beans and everything sucked up a lot of it and it was not greasy at all. Probably wasted effort trying to skim it, honestly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Crazyeyes posted:

I pulled out all the liquid and skimmed it a bit, but by the end the beans and everything sucked up a lot of it and it was not greasy at all. Probably wasted effort trying to skim it, honestly.

Hey, it's how we learn. I'll be experimenting with some chili again this week as well.

\/\/Yeha that'll do it\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 24, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I know the reason why for the grease, though. I put the chuck roast in whole expecting it to break down enough to just fall apart and shred into the liquid. because it was un-cubed like stew meat usually is it was much fattier and all that melted out and floated around. in the future i'll always cut it up first.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Suspect Bucket posted:

This is making me realize that even though I've sharpened my knives before doing this in the past, I likely should've sharpened them more.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
e: sorry for bad quality photo but chili looks bad no matter what I guess

I've been planning to cook up a big batch of chili for weeks now but getting the sadbrains makes cooking into :effort:

I'm really lazy and the most labor intensive thing I did with this was soak 4 oz of ancho and guajillos then puree them with a bulb of garlic, some salt and oregano for the chili paste. A little bitter but manageable, once it cooked for a while it mellowed out. Threw in some cumin powder and black pepper to finish off the paste and make it taste like, well, chili.

As for the rest of it, 2 onions, 2 green peppers, beef boullion paste, hot Mexican tomato sauce (El Pato), diced tomatoes, canned jalapenos and canned kidney/pinto beans. Canned stuff is good enough for me, its all gonna cook down and I'm the only one eating it anyway :v:

Also I managed to brown up all the beef without burning out of my thumb like last time, I had some gnarly blisters for a while. Pro tip, don't be in a rush and put floured beef cubes into a skillet of hot oil barehanded.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 25, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Minarchist posted:

Chili is a fantastic cure for the sads. Especially the cold and sads. Chili is all that is good in the world.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Crazyeyes posted:

in the future i'll always cut it up first.

I add flour after browning cubed meat to make a roux and soak up any grease.

Minarchist posted:

Yeah in person it looks red and amazing, then in photos it's poo poo brown and blah.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

I add flour after browning cubed meat to make a roux and soak up any grease.

Yeah in person it looks red and amazing, then in photos it's poo poo brown and blah.

It's okay, your camera just doesn't capture red.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://chilliesontheweb.co.uk/chipotle-chilli-what-has-happened

so chipotles are going to be hard to find in the eu for some time

how hosed am i for finding an alternative?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

quote:

The consequence of this is nobody can import this wonderful chilli as stocks are checked and destroyed plus the obvious safety concern this controlled substance possesses - please note though, you would have to consume over 1.5kg of raw chipotle in one sitting to get close to any dangerous levels

:ohdear:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
rip butthole

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

1.5kg isn't a whole lot... by chili standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jose posted:

https://chilliesontheweb.co.uk/chipotle-chilli-what-has-happened

so chipotles are going to be hard to find in the eu for some time

how hosed am i for finding an alternative?

Oh cripes I thought you were talking about Chipotle, the burrito chain.

1.5 kilos of chipotles makes a lot of chili and cheese that isn't yours chips. In the mean time, get Anchos and add heat to your tasting.