Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Moonbeam City is rad and has nothing in common w Archer at all. The humor is more absurdist than quipysnarky who's on firstisms, which leads to tons of great gags, like an extended joke involving a menu comprised entirely of cop puns, and they go after the 80's aesthetic HARD. It's remarkably, well, pretty for a silly, kinda mean-spirited cop farce. The show reminds me more of Metalacolpyse than anything else, and a lot of the same guys made it. Check it out.

Anyway, worst shows

Sit Down, Shut Up
Brickleberry
According to Jim
Allen Gregory
Ridiculousness, or p much any "show" that revoles arriund regurgitating ancient yt clips.
Street Sharks, a strong contender for most hideous cartoon ever.
Just about any reality show or Hanna-Barbera thing
Where My Dogs At?
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip
The Parkers
Chozen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Street Sharks" is saved by the fact that it's a hilarious punchline to any joke.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Pick posted:

"Street Sharks" is saved by the fact that it's a hilarious punchline to any joke.

It transfroms any sentence containing ut into a joke.

Does What Not to Wear count as reality TV, cuz that's definitely going in the poo poo list.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pick posted:

Yes, any joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4HLBfTcAUg

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

LOL

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Full House was the worst show ever and they're rebooting it. Dark times.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

The show reminds me more of Metalacolpyse than anything else, and a lot of the same guys made it.
the season finale was an excuse for Tommy Blancha to do the Pickles voice again

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

the season finale was an excuse for Tommy Blancha to do the Pickles voice again

Hahaha now I'm mad I missed it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Jesus, the way you all were talking about it, I thought Allen Gregory was from 40 years ago.

I mean, it's execrable, but these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQKVr3Dats
are probably all worse.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

Jesus, the way you all were talking about it, I thought Allen Gregory was from 40 years ago.

I mean, it's execrable, but these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQKVr3Dats
are probably all worse.

There's a boy in me that comes each summer.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Sleeveless posted:

The only good thing to come from Heroes was Harry Knowles publicly being a gross weirdo about the cheerleader, and even then his review of Blade 2 was grosser.

There's no doubt this guy touches children.

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.

Y-Hat posted:

there's no debate that Dexter had the worst series finale ever, right? ok let's move on then

Seinfeld and House both had horrible finales. I'd say they'd give Dexter's some stiff competition.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Seinfeld finale is a case where the idea worked on paper a lot better than in practice. Maybe would have been better without the whole vacation plot they started with.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I've come to accept the Seinfeld finale, it is what it is and wraps things up rather perfectly. In some ways... it's breathtaking.

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.
Oh, I forgot another horrible finale - The Sopranos. People thought their cable went out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Obligatory Handle posted:

There's no doubt this guy touches children.

He's married to a tiny Asian woman. Just in case GBS needed yet another reminder of how horribly broken and unlovable they are, he is less alone than you are and he's a morbidly obese ginger in a wheelchair coasting off of 90's movie site residuals.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

He's married to a tiny Asian woman. Just in case GBS needed yet another reminder of how horribly broken and unlovable they are, he is less alone than you are and he's a morbidly obese ginger in a wheelchair coasting off of 90's movie site residuals.

To be completely fair he leveraged that 90s movie site "fame" pretty well. I was shocked to see his gross face in The Faculty. Even Ebert only got the occasional cartoon role. That level of dubious status and work ethic means some sad lady will mistake him for the best she can do.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I've come to accept the Seinfeld finale, it is what it is and wraps things up rather perfectly. In some ways... it's breathtaking.

It was a great concept that devolves to masturbating over every catchphrase the show ever generated. You can argue that as such a trailblazing show some self-love was earned, but there's no denying it ended the show with more of a wet thud.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Kawalimus posted:

Seinfeld finale is a case where the idea worked on paper a lot better than in practice. Maybe would have been better without the whole vacation plot they started with.

The problem was that it just wasnt funny enough. Despite being a lot more absurd the final season still had a lot of good episodes and some very funny moments.. then the finale just kind of rehashed characters without a lot of jokes.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Edit because who cares

Obligatory Handle fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 27, 2016

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The Seinfeld finale gets poo poo on so much that when I rewatched it a while back it actually seemed pretty good. Disregarding expectations, it is definitely below average, but I don't see how it even compares to Dexter, that was some next level poo poo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pootybutt posted:

Moonbeam City is rad

You're saying "is" like it's still an ongoing show and not a failed experiment. I don't think it's coming back.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I can confirm that Lost, BSG, and Heroes had great first seasons, but they all sucked in their 2nd+ seasons. Heroes ran out of ideas, BSG started over-relying on one idea and hosed everything else, and it was revealed Lost had no ideas to begin with which retroactively diminished the first season as well as explaining the stupidity of the other five.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
BSG season 2 was really good IMHO. Season 3, where they spent the first third of the season on that planet they tried to colonize but then got found by the Cylons, was when the show started to suck.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As a Lost fan/apologist I can totally understand how people (who actually watched through the show and aren't just parroting the internet hate for it) would not like seasons 4-6, but I honestly can't see how you could say 1, 2, or 3 sucked unless that type of show just isn't for you. I mean season 2 had the hatch, man.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

The Seinfeld finale gets poo poo on so much that when I rewatched it a while back it actually seemed pretty good. Disregarding expectations, it is definitely below average, but I don't see how it even compares to Dexter, that was some next level poo poo.

That said, which is really better? A meh boring ending that just kind of thumps to a close, or pure insane stupidity amplified to glorious "WHAT THE gently caress" levels?

Seinfeld as a show may live on, but the decline of Dexter is legend that puts it in the top 5 most aggressively stupid shows at the very least.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Doc Block posted:

BSG season 2 was really good IMHO. Season 3, where they spent the first third of the season on that planet they tried to colonize but then got found by the Cylons, was when the show started to suck.

Pinning down BSGs suck level is hard because the seasons fluctuate all over the place in quality. The "new caprica" episodes mostly sucked except the final rescue one which was amazing. Then the fourth season started sucking until they hit the mutiny arc which was awesome and then the ending episode was great until the final act then it went full hog into awful territory.

She is like the crazy girlfriend who is amazing in bed but makes you regret life in every other way but you just keep going back!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

As a Lost fan/apologist I can totally understand how people (who actually watched through the show and aren't just parroting the internet hate for it) would not like seasons 4-6, but I honestly can't see how you could say 1, 2, or 3 sucked unless that type of show just isn't for you. I mean season 2 had the hatch, man.

It might be a testament to the vast experiential difference between watching a show as it comes out versus binge-watching after the show finishes. I binge watched the show before season six, and then binged on six when it came out. I suppose the whole pull of the show is the experience after watching it; speculating with friends and online forums and so on. I thought the hatch was interesting but I honestly can't recall anything in that season outside of hatch-related things. Plus the show got ruined for me when I realized there was no point to it, and the writers were making poo poo up as they went along. It's fractal storytelling. You go deeper and you get more questions. It's founded on nothing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SciFiDownBeat posted:

It might be a testament to the vast experiential difference between watching a show as it comes out versus binge-watching after the show finishes. I binge watched the show before season six, and then binged on six when it came out. I suppose the whole pull of the show is the experience after watching it; speculating with friends and online forums and so on. I thought the hatch was interesting but I honestly can't recall anything in that season outside of hatch-related things. Plus the show got ruined for me when I realized there was no point to it, and the writers were making poo poo up as they went along. It's fractal storytelling. You go deeper and you get more questions. It's founded on nothing.

The "making it up as they went along" complaint (I don't think it needs to be a spoiler at this point) is not exactly true in that Lost was written just like any other show - by season. Each individual season of Lost has a clear arc with a beginning, middle, and end. There are too many circumstances in television production to write more than one season at a time. Yes, mutli-season arcs are worked towards, but the arc has to be vague enough to be adaptable to constant change.. Even Breaking Bad, which is generally agreed on as having a near perfect story arc, was written without really knowing where the next season would take it. But Breaking Bad had an advantage in that at as long as Walt progressively became a more terrible person, then the show was still going in the right direction.

The biggest problem with Lost, aside from too much filler, was that they were just throwing too much out there and not always closely examining what they had already done and established, which was something Breaking Bad excelled at - thinking backward and forward rather than just forward. So you get instances where something is totally different than what was originally implied, like how The Others were implied to be supernatural natives in seasons 1 and 2, but later they are mostly recruited, regular people. However, I feel this also works favorably for the show because keeping you guessing and speculating was a lot of the point. For some people, the guessing and speculating is fun, others hate it and therefore Lost is not a show for them.

Really, and I know I'm repeating Damon/Carlton rhetoric here, if there's one thing that Lost got extremely right, and why it all 'works" in spite of its flaws, is the characters, which were more endearing and fleshed out than most ensemble shows. Every show that tried to copy the Lost format failed because the characters were just boring, uninteresting setpieces. Since we're talking about Heroes - I've watched the first two seasons and will not watch any more - can you describe traits of the main cast without stating their superpower? Maybe for the cheerleader and asian guy... but the rest? I have no clue.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

Pinning down BSGs suck level is hard because the seasons fluctuate all over the place in quality. The "new caprica" episodes mostly sucked except the final rescue one which was amazing. Then the fourth season started sucking until they hit the mutiny arc which was awesome and then the ending episode was great until the final act then it went full hog into awful territory.

She is like the crazy girlfriend who is amazing in bed but makes you regret life in every other way but you just keep going back!

The political infighting and such made BSG season 2 really good. On the other hand, seasons 3 and 4 almost completely sucked, with all the stupid Final Five stuff, whoops turns out the actual Battlestar Galactica was a huge piece of poo poo that they cut corners on during construction but somehow no one found out until Just Now, Baltar's trial and then him becoming Space Jesus, Starbuck being an angel, etc.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Superior Bastard posted:

Seinfeld and House both had horrible finales. I'd say they'd give Dexter's some stiff competition.

Ummmm only if you didn't spend the entire series waiting for House and Wilson to go on an end-of-life motorcycle fuckfest

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

natetimm posted:

Full House was the worst show ever and they're rebooting it. Dark times.

It was replacement-level, at worst, for much of its run.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I just got through watching Moonbeam City and enjoyed it but you guys are right. We are never seeing anymore.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yeah. I still feel that given so many other themes of the season, the aliens was one step too far and just simply making them some sort of supernatural divine beings akin to angels or something could have done the same thing. Of course, that is because part of me is still thinking alien abduction as an AHS season set in the 70s/80s could work pretty well in a time when ET, Star Wars and Close Encounters were big.

That wouldn't be bad then the theme would be consistent at least. The only way the aliens thing would have worked is if they'd been some eldritch horror type of thing that drove people to madness instead of grays. That was the worst part they were loving grays of all things.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ronnie posted:

I just got through watching Moonbeam City and enjoyed it but you guys are right. We are never seeing anymore.

I watched the trailer and thought it might be okay but then Will Forte and I said gently caress that

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Brickleberry isn't all that bad. Call me a philistine or whatever, but I'd sooner watch an episode of that than Bob's Burgers, American Dad, Family Guy, etc.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Seinfeld's season finale doesn't hold a candle to Lumberjack Dexter

King Vidiot posted:

You're saying "is" like it's still an ongoing show and not a failed experiment. I don't think it's coming back.
it started out on 10:30 wednesday nights after South Park. it got moved to 1:00am (technically Thursday), a half hour after the new episode of @midnight. i think it's safe to say MoonBeam City isn't coming back

it's really not a clone of Archer, but that's what all of the reviews called it, so it stuck. i think it never was much of one to begin with, and i thought it was funny. oh well

Pocket Billiards posted:

Brickleberry isn't all that bad. Call me a philistine or whatever, but I'd sooner watch an episode of that than Bob's Burgers, American Dad, Family Guy, etc.
it survived for one more season after Ugly Americans, so it can go to hell

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 28, 2016

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

What was the season of LOST where they had an established core cast of characters and then PORTUGUESE COUPLE OUT OF loving NOWHERE LIKE WE WERE BEST BUDS FOR YEARS?

Because the fan backlash was so astoundingly huge that they rewrote the season and killed both of them off halfway through, and that was just hilarious.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Superior Bastard posted:

The House finale was pretty good. How else would you have ended it really? Killing off House would have been too predictable, killing off Wilson would have been depressing. It wrapped up most of the story arcs. The show had been dying for quite a while. It needed House to literally ride off into the sunset.

I'd nominate Gossip Girl as worst finale ever. After many seasons of decline, they outed one of the main characters as the Gossip Girl and it made zero loving sense. There were many tumblrs set up just to point out all the plot holes.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

You Are A Elf posted:

What was the season of LOST where they had an established core cast of characters and then PORTUGUESE COUPLE OUT OF loving NOWHERE LIKE WE WERE BEST BUDS FOR YEARS?

Because the fan backlash was so astoundingly huge that they rewrote the season and killed both of them off halfway through, and that was just hilarious.

Season 3. They didn't rewrite the whole season, only their contribution to it. I'm okay with it because their demise was so wonderfully dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Prison Break was actually watchable and somewhat interesting for a couple of seasons, then it got to the point where there was a double cross every 12 seconds and the actors seemed to want to prison break through the 4th wall to let you know they understood how ridiculous it had become.

And it's coming back.

• Locked thread