Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

spog posted:

Some dude called her colleague up and got photos of the code:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Dp23C

Still not hand written, but I'm definitely not surprised that it's actually code.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

The followup to that should be "And poo poo is still hosed up".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Please change LoB's name to "AngryWhiteWoman", tia.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Karma Monkey posted:

Because old people think all modern slang comes from rap.
A huge chunk of modern slang, most notably cool, hipster, dope, and sockdollager, came from Jazz which is like rap but only threatening if you were middle aged in the 1930s. So assuming that all slang was invented by black people sort of makes sense in doesn't make sense sort of way.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

spog posted:

Some dude called her colleague up and got photos of the code:

http://imgur.com/gallery/Dp23C

This guy rules

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People are still saying "it's not hand-written, tho" as if the original intent was that she wrote it with a pencil or some loving poo poo.

No, she with her hands, hit keys to produce code.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SpacePig posted:

Still not hand written, but I'm definitely not surprised that it's actually code.
Hand writing code and then handing it over to some sort of specialized typist to turn it into punch cards is something my parents did in the seventies. I have no idea what happened at NASA, just want to say it's not some insane notion.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

zakharov posted:

This guy rules

Maybe I am the IoSM, then.

Although I still don't know if it was a one person job?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bl@ck.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

White folks have God's favour, represented by the cross in their name. They don't need anything else.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Someone add 'vowels' to list of what White Folk get.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

Maybe I am the IoSM, then.

Although I still don't know if it was a one person job?

She was the team leader for it, which people on Imgur are actually holding against her because she didn't do everything entirely by herself. Because being a woman in a leadership position in a STEM field in the 60's was not a big deal at all.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Absolutely enlightening, tell me more.

When even Fox news isn't far right enough for you any more.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

You can drink meth?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

She was the team leader for it, which people on Imgur are actually holding against her because she didn't do everything entirely by herself. Because being a woman in a leadership position in a STEM field in the 60's was not a big deal at all.

There was a programme on Radio 4 recently about Lyon's Biscuits who actually invented one of the first computers that they used for ordering. They spoke to one of the creators of it, apparently a lot of the women helped develop it, they were chosen because they were fast typers and processors. eta_ Also because it was at such an early stage in Computer Technology that it hadn't become a male dominated industry)
You can (probably if you are in the UK) listen to it here, it was really interesting, I was sat in my car listening to it after I had parked up.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04m3ftg

quote:

Programme 1 - LEO the Lyons Computer

The first programme starts in the Piccadilly café which is still identifiable as the first Lyons Teashop ever opened, at the end of the 19th Century. It moves on to Hammersmith where a Lyons historian describes how the great Cadby Hall factory complex needed an army of clerks to run it. LEO veterans explain how the company that believed it could do anything decided to build a business computer, and did so with considerable success. A former Teashops manageress recalls what a difference it made to her work when all the daily orders were computerised. And one of the telephonists who typed her orders into LEO remembers the excitement of "feeding this marvellous machine". It was so successful that Lyons did jobs for other companies and the government, like working out the new tax tables on the night of the Chancellor's Budget. It also calculated the distance between every one of British Rail's 5000 stations and every other one. But the name died in the 60s, beaten by the perception that a catering company couldn't build computers, and the disorganisation of Britain's computer industry.

V Ha! I put a dash of ACV in my drink sometime. I find, weirdly, that it makes me feel a bit 'perkier' and with it.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Jan 27, 2016

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Indolent Bastard posted:

You can drink meth?

It's probably apple cider vinegar. People think drinking that poo poo will cure everything and make you live forever. Although nowadays they insist it has to be organic and contain mother of the vinegar, etc. If you drink it and still have cancer or aids or evidence of aging, you just didn't drink the right kind. (the one they're selling)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Karma Monkey posted:

It's probably apple cider vinegar. People think drinking that poo poo will cure everything and make you live forever. Although nowadays they insist it has to be organic and contain mother of the vinegar, etc. If you drink it and still have cancer or aids or evidence of aging, you just didn't drink the right kind. (the one they're selling)

This was my first assumption, because they have kept a gallon of apple cider vinegar in the fridge for a few years now (still fat, of course) but here's the magical recipe:

quote:

125 grams of horseradish
3 lemons (before you use them, you need to place them in a container filled with water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar for 10 minutes – to wash away the pesticides)
3 tablespoons of honey
Put the horseradish into a blender and blend well. Then, cut the lemons in slices (unpeeled), remove the lemon seeds and add them into the blender. Mix again until you get nice and homogenous mixture. Then, add the 3 tablespoons of honey and mix everything again.
:barf:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

subpar anachronism posted:

This was my first assumption, because they have kept a gallon of apple cider vinegar in the fridge for a few years now (still fat, of course) but here's the magical recipe:
:barf:

It's the same thing as that bullshit "cleanse" a few celebrities were into a few years ago. That one consisted of hot water, cayenne pepper, lemon, and maple syrup.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you drink it right after every meal, you might lose weight from all the vomiting.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Araenna posted:

If you drink it right after every meal, you might lose weight from all the vomiting.

Or from the shits. The best thing about these vile concoctions is that very very few people are gonna tolerate it for more than a few doses, so you give up or skip doses, in which case, the "you didn't do it right" clause comes into effect. It's such an easy scam.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I used to listen to a lot of metal, not so much anymore. I realized that "complicated" rarely translates to "good". Sometimes the genius of music is it's effectiveness despite simplicity.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Fallen Rib

Nostrum posted:

I used to listen to a lot of metal, not so much anymore. I realized that "complicated" rarely translates to "good". Sometimes the genius of music is it's effectiveness despite simplicity.

The fact that people would rather listen to a three minute love song then a 10 minute guitar wank shouldn't be surprising. It's really some guy complaining that his niche likes aren't mainstream enough.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Madkal posted:

The fact that people would rather listen to a three minute love song then a 10 minute guitar wank shouldn't be surprising. It's really some guy complaining that his niche likes aren't mainstream enough.

Yet, if his/her niche all of a sudden became mainstream for whatever reason, they'd loudly bitch about that, too.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Nostrum posted:

Yeah, that's really what it comes down to. Yeah, sure, some metal is "complicated" in a good way, but a lot of it is way, way too loving complicated, to the point that it's basically aurally garish. Like if paisley was a song. There's a point where layering things on top of things on top of things just because you can becomes self-defeating.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Jan 28, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Rage face comics are literally the worst way to put over any arguement ever though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My cousin's a little off the deep end, religiously.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My cousin's a little off the deep end, religiously.

http://www.foreverymom.com/dear-mama-satan-is-doing-everything-he-can-to-keep-you-from-reading-this-letter/

Amazing article. I think it's written by the perspective of some goofy demon colluding with Satan. Observe:

quote:

A word of caution here. Remember, the love of a husband can be dangerous to our cause. If he senses her unhappiness, he may begin to help or (even worse) show her affection. This is where previously planted seeds of resentment can be guided into full bloom. Make her think that his displays of affection are because he “only wants one thing”. Do not let her view his help with the dishes (or kisses or cuddling) as having pure motives. If he shows his desire for her, convince her that she is being used, not loved. As we both know, the ultimate Act of Marriage can bond them together in a way that can undo much hard work on our part. Because of this, do not allow her to prioritize that Act on her mental to-do-list. It is in our best interest to keep the wife busy, busy, busy and be sure she’s far too exhausted to consider it by the end of the evening.

The Act

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

cash crab posted:

http://www.foreverymom.com/dear-mama-satan-is-doing-everything-he-can-to-keep-you-from-reading-this-letter/

Amazing article. I think it's written by the perspective of some goofy demon colluding with Satan. Observe:

The Act

The comments are interesting too.

quote:

Kris IF THIS IS FOR YOUR MOM YOU ARE SICKER THAN i THOUGHT YOU WERE,TELL HOW YOU DESERTED YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER WHEN THEY NEEDED HELP.iF YOU WANT TO POINT FINGERS TO MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD,LOOK IN THE MIRROR. YOUR GRANDMOTHER

Are these for real? Check this one out:

She left their daughter with him, but can a man with Asperger’s be a single dad? He knew what he had to do.

Karma Monkey has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Jan 28, 2016

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cash crab posted:

The Act

Seems like it was written by some skeevy man. His wife does all the work and isn't happy with him being a lazy rear end, so suddenly it's Satan's fault.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Well it was written in 1942, so of course its idea of women's roles is all hosed up. The question is why is it still being shared in earnest all these decades later?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Huntersoninski posted:

Well it was written in 1942, so of course its idea of women's roles is all hosed up. The question is why is it still being shared in earnest all these decades later?

No, it's not. This wasn't written by C.S. Lewis, some hack is just writing it 'in his style.'

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Huntersoninski posted:

Was it? It's not C.S. Lewis, someone else wrote it in his style.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Did you really think that was a quote from the screwtape letters? That's great

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I haven't read the screwtape letters in probably fifteen years and I really only skimmed that article. I just never figured in a million years someone in 2016 would be like "yes, I need to write a new Screwtape letter."

e: never underestimate the depth of fanfiction, I guess

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are other message boards fair game to post here or is that considered bringing forums drama to SA?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it's fine unless you're bringing goon drama from another site or otherwise helldumping. What is Reddit if not another forum?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

How can you tell if someone is a vegan? Wait for them to constantly post on facebook about how hard it is to be an upstanding, harassed vegan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah, that's really what it comes down to. Yeah, sure, some metal is "complicated" in a good way, but a lot of it is way, way too loving complicated, to the point that it's basically aurally garish. Like if paisley was a song. There's a point where layering things on top of things on top of things just because you can becomes self-defeating.

It's like

vs

An unfortunate poster design for facebook's cropping