Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

The vape pen's screen didn't work
:catstare: Why does a glorified miniature fog machine need a display?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Probably to display the amount of fog machine essence left? It was a teeny tiny display.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Shuntly posted:

Veeam needs you to explicitly enable application-aware VSS snapshots, it's not enabled by default in a new job. Thanks for making me double-check all my jobs, thread. On the upside I did discover a recently created MSSQL db with a Full recovery model that nobody had scheduled log backups on.

Yeah, I guess I should clarify that it's multiple VSS-based backups that are the trouble. Like someone above said, it's no big deal if you're doing file-level backups. It's only if you have multiple VSS-based backups that directly interface with the database application that you have a problem.

Veeam (and most image-level backups) will give you the option to do this or not.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Segmentation Fault posted:

It did! A standard Micro B connector, the type you use on cell phones. The vape pen's screen didn't work, guy reckoned the ribbon cable inside got loose after taking a fall. I have no interest in an ad-hoc interactive learning experience with vape pens and I have other things to be doing, so I declined and referred him to a vape shop, failing that, the manufacturer, failing that Google.

RE: A ticket came in: Do you even vape bro?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Probably when it's up to temperature?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Probably displays voltage, ohms, charge left and temp.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

stevewm posted:

Yeah, all of this is exactly why our ERP company has it setup the way it is.

They have the SQL instance configured to make a log backup every hour, and then a full backup nightly. SQL is configured to keep the last 2 full backup files. Any backup app we use does not actually access or touch the SQL instance itself, we simply copy the backup files that SQL itself generated.

This is exactly how I set it up. However, I'm now double checking all of my clients to make sure this is the case.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A dead server came in...

This is a pretty bad cascade and would be a wall o' text, but has anyone ever encountered a situation where you installed Arcserve Backup and all secure connectivity stops functioning? Can't RDP to or from the server, can't get to https sites, normal http is fine.

Found this but the regsvr32 didn't fix, and it's on authoritative time from our DC. sfc /scannow is running as we speak. http://www.brighthub.com/internet/security-privacy/articles/126222.aspx

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Because vaping has always been douchebag arms race.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Please, lets not share opinions on vaping. I'm sure there are responsible non douchey people vaping.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

KoRMaK posted:

Please, lets not share opinions on vaping. I'm sure there are responsible non douchey people vaping.

#notallvapers

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KoRMaK posted:

Vaping is a douchey activity by nature. Like clubbing seals or slapping yellow stars on jews.

What I'm saying is is that :hitler: would have been a vaper.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

Probably displays voltage, ohms, charge left and temp.

Don't encourage them!

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Vaping is a legit way for us nerdy IT guys to quit smoking with a fun gadget hobby. Unless you're West coast, gently caress those vapers, they're douche.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Vaping is a douchey activity by nature. Like clubbing seals or slapping yellow stars on jews.

What I'm saying is is that :hitler: would have been a vaper.

I'm definitely going to start vaping now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Just wait until you meet a vaper that mixes their own liquids. It's like an unholy combination of a tinker and an alchemist. :stonk:

(My boss is one. He has a tackle box that he keeps vials of ingredients and finished liquid in.)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Vaping is like gaming, as long as you don't capitalize it you're probably fine.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kyrosiris posted:

Just wait until you meet a vaper that mixes their own liquids. It's like an unholy combination of a tinker and an alchemist. :stonk:

(My boss is one. He has a tackle box that he keeps vials of ingredients and finished liquid in.)

My girlfriend makes her own. She's just happy that she finally gets to use her chemistry degree for something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My ex father in law used to make his own. Then he started making it for other people. Then he opened up a vape store. Now he's filthy rich. He was an early adopter, though.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't think vapers should be allowed to adopt. :colbert:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

please don't lump vaping in with the ancient and noble art of seal clubbing

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

An email blast came in:

quote:

This links to http://192.185.[sweetjesusfuckdon'tactuallyclickonthis]/~transfem/[goddamn]__gb/dbox/index.[christ]php.

It was sent by my boss, BCC'd to his entire contact list. His Google Apps account is super admin. I work at an MSP, and the last hour has been answering calls from our clients and damage control.

RIP my job, I guess.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had 3 users call in today saying they were suspicious of the simulated phishing email we sent out. I'm so proud. :3:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

This might be better than the time one of my noc guys sent a dick pic to the cio of our state gov accidentally. To make it worse he then sent an apology email from his work account. Why he had that guys contact in his phone I'll never know.

Virigoth fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 28, 2016

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

quote:

Unassigned tickets - 48

quote:

Re: RFQ Project

I quit.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Did you literally quit or were you using the :cripes: version of the phrase?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MiniFoo posted:

An email blast came in:

This links to http://192.185.[sweetjesusfuckdon'tactuallyclickonthis]/~transfem/[goddamn]__gb/dbox/index.[christ]php.

It was sent by my boss, BCC'd to his entire contact list. His Google Apps account is super admin. I work at an MSP, and the last hour has been answering calls from our clients and damage control.

RIP my job, I guess.

So, uh, what is this thing actually?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FireSight posted:

I think his boss just infected everyone on his mailing list with god-knows-what kind of virus. Or at least a big glaring link to get them one.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Did you literally quit or were you using the :cripes: version of the phrase?

In my head, it's slowly turning from figurative to literal.

FireSight posted:

Something called JS/Phish. You be the judge.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

KillHour posted:

I had 3 users call in today saying they were suspicious of the simulated phishing email we sent out. I'm so proud. :3:

How many users did you send it out to? Get any bites on it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ErIog posted:

How many users did you send it out to? Get any bites on it?

It's going to the whole company staggered out. As for bites, I'm not on the infosec team, so I really don't have insight into that. There will probably be an anonymized report after it's over.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Dunno why but any time someone says "vapers" I get the image of an old-timey woman fanning herself all like OH LAWD I THINK I HAVE THE VAPORS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ozz81 posted:

Dunno why but any time someone says "vapers" I get the image of an old-timey woman fanning herself all like OH LAWD I THINK I HAVE THE VAPORS

Oh, thank god I'm not the only one.

:D :hf: :D

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

MiniFoo posted:

An email blast came in:

RIP my job, I guess.

Think positive, maybe you'll get his job. :buddy:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Welp, my entire day tomorrow is going to be dedicated to damage control and resetting every single one of our passwords. Time to go home and drink myself to sleep!

Mo_Steel posted:

Think positive, maybe you'll get his job. :buddy:

hahahahahahahahaahhahahahaahahahahaha

On a side note, his boss, who is actually a really smart and awesome guy (and the owner of our company) let me know that I've been doing awesome, far exceeding expectations, and will be scheduling a 1-on-1 meeting with me soon, in what I can only hope is an overdue pay raise. Just wish this loving fiasco wasn't required to prompt something like that.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

MiniFoo posted:

RIP my job, I guess.

Last night around 10:30pm I noticed my phone had a call and voicemail around 8:00pm from our finance manager, so I have a nose on OWA to see what's up (I'm not paid on-call nor am I contracted for it, someone must have given out my personal number, I have a two month old son to deal with any one who calls can piss off).

"Complete disaster. Lost budgets and management accounts and wages information that can not be recreated."

I knew this day would come to pass, see this person saves absolutely everything to her laptop my documents folder instead of the file server. Now we do have folder redirection set up but for whatever reason it didn't update on her documents and only the desktop, and being we migrated to a new server some months ago this means her documents were being directed to the old file server. (Yes it's still running, you can blame her for holding back the migration of crappy payment software to a VM and shutting this thing down)

Ok all isn't lost just yet, I remote into the old server and make a folder in her current share and copy over all of the files from her old one, job done.

"It is no different – if you look the majority of the folders are dated XXXXX"

Well I don't know what you want, those are the files you were using, now if you were not a complete loving moron you would store these business critical documents on the file server in your dedicated department folder they would they be safe and sound in a secure location.
:shepicide:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Hi friends, I am in hour 20 of being in the office.

Main file server has had weird stability problems for a while. After dancing with HP support for upwards of a month and doing all the needful, they replaced the mobo and CPU on Monday night.

Tuesday night it goes down, hard. My boss was covering the later hours and was in the office through the night waiting on the parts and attempting to rebuild the RAID array. He thinks it was successful, but we don't know for sure, because even after said parts - RAID controller, cache accelerator, cache accelerator RAM, cache accelerator battery - go in, the server simply just doesn't remain stable. It bluescreens during/after Windows setup.

He hands it off to me, goes home for much-needed rest, and since 8 AM yesterday I've been trying to resurrect our backup software - which, by the way, lived on the main file server, along with its DB.

gently caress Arcserve backups, I cannot wait for when we start backing up to the butt and this garbage becomes AWS' problem (sorry Agrikk)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

KillHour posted:

We just had one of the caseworker managers get hit by CyptoWall. Very little damage since we generally don't trust our users to be able to handle a butter knife safely, so he only managed to wipe his own personal share and a few project folders he has write-access to. Nothing VSS couldn't restore in a heartbeat.

Nothing serious, but still a :smith: feeling. Stop being intentionally stupid, people!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MJP posted:

Hi friends, I am in hour 20 of being in the office.
wtf dude go home and take some rest

quote:

Main file server has had weird stability problems for a while. After dancing with HP support for upwards of a month and doing all the needful, they replaced the mobo and CPU on Monday night.

Tuesday night it goes down, hard. My boss was covering the later hours and was in the office through the night waiting on the parts and attempting to rebuild the RAID array. He thinks it was successful, but we don't know for sure, because even after said parts - RAID controller, cache accelerator, cache accelerator RAM, cache accelerator battery - go in, the server simply just doesn't remain stable. It bluescreens during/after Windows setup.

Did you swap the PSU('s)? Maybe RAM but I suppose it's ECC?

PSU issues can cause all kinds of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you push HP for a new system and just move the disks and RAID controller across?

• Locked thread