Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

From what I've heard the biggest improvement from *sync is at lower framerates to smooth it out, the ULMB might be pretty cool at higher framerates though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That makes sense and I was originally looking for 60hz gsync but I couldnt find them for sale. Everything appears to be $400 144hz for a 24". 60hz gsync are all huge ultra widescreens

Between acer asus benq and aoc which brand would you go with? They all appear to be on similar or the same panel. Who has the best warranty support?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 27, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fauxtool posted:

That makes sense and I was originally looking for 60hz gsync but I couldnt find them for sale. Everything appears to be $400 144hz for a 24". 60hz gsync are all huge ultra widescreens

Between acer asus benq and aoc which brand would you go with? They all appear to be on similar or the same panel. Who has the best warranty support?

I favor Asus or BenQ, but none of them are really known for having good warranty support, for that you go with Dell.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I favor Asus or BenQ, but none of them are really known for having good warranty support, for that you go with Dell.

It's true, Dell is the best for monitor warranties by far, they are no-questions asked in my experience if I get a single dead pixel or backlight bleed.

Concerning Dell and adaptive sync though, they have no freesync monitors and exactly one overpriced G-Sync TN poo poo panel, with nothing else announced so far.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Fauxtool posted:

With 980ti and 1080p I would expect you to be able to hit 60+ FPS all the time, so a 60Hz G-Sync monitor would be useless, since the G-Sync would do nothing.

My understanding is that G-Sync is meant for the situation where your FPS is lower than the maximum refresh rate of the monitor. For example 144Hz monitor and games at 80-120 FPS.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Saukkis posted:

With 980ti and 1080p I would expect you to be able to hit 60+ FPS all the time, so a 60Hz G-Sync monitor would be useless, since the G-Sync would do nothing.

My understanding is that G-Sync is meant for the situation where your FPS is lower than the maximum refresh rate of the monitor. For example 144Hz monitor and games at 80-120 FPS.

It stops tearing regardless of if you hit you can hit your maximum framerate or not. Even if you frame cap at 60 fps on a 60 hz monitor it is not doing 60 perfect fps. This is an example of a frame capped 60 fps displaying 60 fps in game but what it actually looks like in reality

Gsync and freesync help to almost completely eliminate this and which is why I'm sure even maxed out framerates still look better

I'll also include the clusterfuck of what uncapped looks like

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

New low-power (19W) $40 card from NVIDIA (710):

http://www.vortez.net/news_story/low_powerlow_cost_nvidia_launches_the_geforce_gt_710.html

Can drive 4K at 30Hz, up to three displays.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

New low-power (19W) $40 card from NVIDIA (710):

http://www.vortez.net/news_story/low_powerlow_cost_nvidia_launches_the_geforce_gt_710.html

Can drive 4K at 30Hz, up to three displays.

Why do they have fan on it when 750Ti works fine passively? And double-slot models too when all three outputs fit on single slot? Why?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SinineSiil posted:

Why do they have fan on it when 750Ti works fine passively?
unless if you make it use a heatsink 3 slots high, it doesn't actually

but yeah anything involving a fan is a waste for this 5450-grade gpu

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SinineSiil posted:

Why do they have fan on it when 750Ti works fine passively? And double-slot models too when all three outputs fit on single slot? Why?

The 750ti is maxwell. The 710 is not.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

unless if you make it use a heatsink 3 slots high, it doesn't actually

but yeah anything involving a fan is a waste for this 5450-grade gpu

Since I have seen passive 750Ti's I thought they worked just fine. So they overheat when gaming?

Don Lapre posted:

The 750ti is maxwell. The 710 is not.
Kepler gets too hot for passive cooling even when it's 19W part?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
The article said there would be passive options though

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SinineSiil posted:

Since I have seen passive 750Ti's I thought they worked just fine. So they overheat when gaming?

There is a passive option using a larger heatsink.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The article said there would be passive options though
There's even one that's passive on the picture.
Why have fan at all is my question.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm assuming it's lower clocked and or undervolted

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

5% discount code for Arctic if anyone wants it: d8rjsmf04wqz

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SinineSiil posted:

There's even one that's passive on the picture.
Why have fan at all is my question.

The passive has a double slot heatsink.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 27, 2016

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
EVGA has six varieties of the 710.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuN3mj5pYvg

quote:

EVGA GeForce GT 710 lineup

2GB Memory:

02G-P3-2717-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 2GB (Single Slot, Dual DVI)
02G-P3-2713-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 2GB (Single Slot, Low Profile)
02G-P3-2712-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 2GB (Dual Slot, Low Profile, Passive)

1GB Memory:

01G-P3-2716-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 1GB (Single Slot, Dual DVI)
01G-P3-2711-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 1GB (Single Slot, Low Profile)
01G-P3-2710-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 1GB (Dual Slot, Low Profile, Passive)

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I just learned that it's pronounced "ee-vee-jay". Weird.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

I just learned that it's pronounced "ee-vee-jay". Weird.

Guy said it wrong/too fast. The A is pronounced by itself.

https://youtu.be/vNYekkzN8Vk

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SinineSiil posted:

I have a Kepler GT 640 that was passive (Zotac Zone Edition). It's not currently installed in anything, but from what I remember it runs about 75C under load (CUDA batch runs) and I think that part is a 65W TDP. It indeed has a double-width heatsink on it and it's actually a bit taller than most cards as well. Those heatpipes stick out about 0.5-0.75" farther than normal.

Since it's passive you do need some airflow to cycle the air inside the case, so it's difficult to get a truly silent build. Maybe something like a CM Elite 130 that has the entire body perforated would be able to cool itself by convection alone.

You might be able to do a single-thickness heatsink with a 19W part, but it would still probably be pushing it. It would help some if you made it full length and/or were willing to push the height a bit, but that limits compatibility with small media-pc chassis.

(life pro-tip: remove the plastic from the heatsink shield)

It was an OK little card. Obviously not any great shakes for gaming, but the intended usage for those low-end cards is to stick them in a media PC.

The low-end NVIDIA cards are a mess, the 700 series has cards running on: Fermi, Kepler DDR3, Kepler DDR5, and then of course there's the 750/ti models that are new Maxwell cards. All of them have hugely different feature sets. They finally cleaned up their act with the 900 series, but even still the 950 and the 960 actually have a newer revision of PureVideo.

On the other hand, we have AMD still running GCN 1.0 cards introduced in 2012 as current-gen offerings :laugh:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 28, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

"entry level" gaming

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

moba frame latency

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SinineSiil posted:

yep, you pretty much need case airflow to make up the difference, a single slot passive heatsink with a fan directly blowing on it is not going to cut it unless you want to hit thermal throttling 60% of the time

so now i use a modestly overclocked HD7750 that I bought for $43 and despite it not being able to run new games at higher than 1600x900 without a massive frame drop it's not so bad at gaming :unsmith:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thanks people, I learned something about viability of passive cooling today.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Paul MaudDib posted:

The low-end NVIDIA cards are a mess, the 700 series has cards running on: Fermi, Kepler DDR3, Kepler DDR5, and then of course there's the 750/ti models that are new Maxwell cards. All of them have hugely different feature sets. They finally cleaned up their act with the 900 series, but even still the 950 and the 960 actually have a newer revision of PureVideo.

The GT 430 is immortal and I totally expect the GT 1020 to be just a revised GT 430.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...ig-releases.htm

Finally fixed that 144 hz bug, or at least patched to address it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yessssss.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

SinineSiil posted:

Thanks people, I learned something about viability of passive cooling today.
Also depends on the amount of heatsink.. Not a GPU, but I run my 2600K passive part of the time under a HR-02. Hell of a lot more difficult strapping that much aluminum to a videocard though. Some thermalright kit like the HR-03s were made to run semi-passive but they also caused cards to sag to a very noticeable and worrying degree.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

bitcoin savant posted:

Also depends on the amount of heatsink.. Not a GPU, but I run my 2600K passive part of the time under a HR-02. Hell of a lot more difficult strapping that much aluminum to a videocard though. Some thermalright kit like the HR-03s were made to run semi-passive but they also caused cards to sag to a very noticeable and worrying degree.

I ran a gtx 250? in a three way sli running folding at home using HR-03 gpu temps were fine, it burnt out the VRM. Dont forget your VRM on passive cards folks. PS slapped the standard cooler back on and gigabyte replaced it under warranty. :)

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
My SSD just decided to die (joy) so I think I'm going to get a 250 or 500gb 850 EVO, but at the same time I was thinking of maybe updating my graphics card to a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0. Would that card work with my current set up (specifically power supply) and is it enough of an upgrade that it's worth making now as opposed to waiting til around summer?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B85M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC) (screw you mushkin)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($21.55 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 OEM (64-bit) ($95.56 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell U2312HM 23.0" Monitor

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

My SSD just decided to die (joy) so I think I'm going to get a 250 or 500gb 850 EVO, but at the same time I was thinking of maybe updating my graphics card to a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0. Would that card work with my current set up (specifically power supply) and is it enough of an upgrade that it's worth making now as opposed to waiting til around summer?

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.89 @ OutletPC) (screw you mushkin)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ NCIX US)

The 970 would be a pretty big upgrade but at this point I would wait for the 1070 or 1060 or whatever, if you wait you will either will save a bunch of cash or you will get a much more powerful card for the same money.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If the 1070 comes out in June for a similar price to the 970 then I doubt it's worth it. You could even save up and maybe snag a 1080 instead.

As for the EVGA SC970 it's not a bad card but above 150fps mine develops coil whine. Core overclock goes well but memory overclocks crash my video drivers. If you're gonna get an EVGA go for the SSC model at least.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The 970 would be a pretty big upgrade but at this point I would wait for the 1070 or 1060 or whatever, if you wait you will either will save a bunch of cash or you will get a much more powerful card for the same money.

Is there an actual release date yet? A quick google said Q2 2016 but since we're pretty close to that I'd assume there would be something more concrete. If it's going to retail in the ~$350 range and be out before July I'm okay with waiting, but if I have to wait until Setpember/October I may just go ahead and grab the 970 now.

And thanks for the super prompt response.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AMD is looking reasonably likely to hit the Q2 target, and I believe have said either that or Q3. NV seems to be the realm of rumors.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yeah, there is some rumor/suspcision with no confirmation that Nvidia is going to preview/release GP100 in April, despite Samsung just beginning production of 4HI stacks. That, and combined with GDDR5X and the lack of volume production of 16nmFF+ leads me to believe it's a bunch of hogwash for Q2 and Nvidia is going to see a Q3 release at best. Maybe There will be a first gen Pascal based on 16nmFF for something like a 1050/1050ti but I'm highly doubtful on big chips from Nvidia yet.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Is there an actual release date yet? A quick google said Q2 2016 but since we're pretty close to that I'd assume there would be something more concrete. If it's going to retail in the ~$350 range and be out before July I'm okay with waiting, but if I have to wait until Setpember/October I may just go ahead and grab the 970 now.

And thanks for the super prompt response.

They usually reveal the actual release date like a couple weeks in advance or closer. Many are guessing that they will reveal the new GPUs at Computex at the beginning of June. Also this will be the first process shrink in a long time so everyone is expecting these new GPUs to be a massive leap over the old ones.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Yeah, there is some rumor/suspcision with no confirmation that Nvidia is going to preview/release GP100 in April, despite Samsung just beginning production of 4HI stacks. That, and combined with GDDR5X and the lack of volume production of 16nmFF+ leads me to believe it's a bunch of hogwash for Q2 and Nvidia is going to see a Q3 release at best. Maybe There will be a first gen Pascal based on 16nmFF for something like a 1050/1050ti but I'm highly doubtful on big chips from Nvidia yet.

I expect NV to be first to market with the big chips but I be they're not going to be after both companies get FF chips out and be multiple thousand dollar tesla parts for a while before yields settle down enough to make a Titan. However I expect mid range parts to come out and reshape the market harder than the 970 could ever have dreamed.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

I'm in a similar boat. I built most of this system in summer 2013. Only modifications are adding another 8GB of memory and the new 850 EVO.

I've been tempted by the siren song of the 970, but I've held strong and I'm too close now to fold before the 1000-series comes out. If I'm super-lucky Polaris will actually be competitive and I can continue to support the underdog without being an idiot.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.00)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS20LQ Liquid CPU Cooler ($40.00)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.60)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.99)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.99)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.47)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($115.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.69)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($284.99)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($0.00)
Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($240.00)
Monitor: Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($260.00)
Total: $1587.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-28 15:58 EST-0500

I think I might pick up a CRYORIG H5 to fight off the upgrade itch until the GPUs start releasing. Buying the Zalman was probably a mistake at the time and I'm tired of the pump noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gzuz-Kriced posted:

Should work fine regardless of going for a 900 series or upcoming 1000 series card. For the most part a lot of newer cards draw way less power nowadays than they did even 3-4 years ago - just a quick search online shows the 7950 draws 200W while the stock 970 draws 145W - even with a mild overclock the 970 would still chew less power while performing way better.