Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

terraria has damage on touch but you also have a shitload of movement capability and melee combat is designed around knocking enemies away

multiplayer is at its best when you accidentally do things to each other from the map away like when i accidentally drained the ocean onto my roommate and you're all building stuff because building things actually matters in it

i think saying something called 'hardmode' loving over newbies is a downside is missing the point a little bit

the boss fights suck rear end though, most of them are really about constructing the perfect arena more than actual execution and gently caress you if you want to use a sword on the boss

meanwhile eco-terrorism is almost impossible in starbound so its multiplayer is way worse by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

nerdz posted:

I remember spelunky having a ridiculous amount of leaps of faith and also enemies that would rival any annoying starbound monster. Combat had very little options unless you got some good item combinations.

i don't think there's any spots in the game where you can't see things below you if you just hold down while clinging to a ledge. the only place it would matter is in the ice caves, and even then if you can't see something below you then chances are it's an open pit because platforms spawn frequently enough and you should be able to find some other way to descend. and with the enemies, at the very least they have predefined behaviors and you can tell what they will/won't do if you approach them and you can avoid them if you want. most issues with spelunky are usually the minor ones associated with any randomly generated game in that sometimes it can create a truly lovely layout. generally if i die in spelunky i have a pretty good idea of why and it's going to be my fault.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Patware posted:

multiplayer is at its best when you accidentally do things to each other from the map away like when i accidentally drained the ocean onto my roommate and you're all building stuff because building things actually matters in it

i think saying something called 'hardmode' loving over newbies is a downside is missing the point a little bit
Picture yourself running a multiplayer server then someone ruining it for everyone else just because the dev didn't bother with multiplayer options or improved worldgen.

Or wanting to progress and the new guys can't keep up because of the same stupid things

This is what planet travel was supposed to fix in Starbound

Jackard fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 25, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jackard posted:

So I was correct? What's with earlier people pretending it has no shortcomings??

Played with a friend and had a blast, that's all I can say really.
It's not the best game I've ever played or one of the best coop experiences I've ever had but it was fun and full of great moments for us.

I don't claim to love the combat system either, it does its job and I had more fun than anything resembling frustration with it.

Never had any multiplayer issues either, the only issue I ever had was I lost power while playing one day and it corrupted my save but my friend and I remembered my load out and so I just used an editor to get all my stuff back.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

nerdz posted:

Speaking of combat, which 2D games in your opinion have good combat? I can't really think of any that I rather enjoyed, maybe castlevanias.

Soldat is what they should be aiming to replicate. They even have melee weapons and jetpacks.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I wanted to like this game but I got all the way to the mech boss and now every time I start it it crashes. Oh well.

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

Johnny Joestar posted:

no matter what happens the combat in terraria is still awful. like, the game does other things really well, but i hope people don't pretend the combat is in any way decent.

That's why I hope Starbound devs, or more likely a mod made by somebody else, comes in and repairs a lot of the stuff that annoys me about the game. Because there is a lot I like about Starbound that Terraria just doesn't have or the mechanics in Terraria I don't like.

It's a faint, almost dead hope, but it is still there, sometimes...

Blockade posted:

I wanted to like this game but I got all the way to the mech boss and now every time I start it it crashes. Oh well.

Have to uninstall the game, completely delete all local content and install it again to fix this if you care.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm not a big terraria fan but I can tell you rigth now that it's better at exploration than starbound because it's biomes have unique monsters, loots and dangers accociated with them.
And you don't even have to dig to the center of the earth to see most of 'em.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah terraria having more than 5 different monsters is a big plus

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

And you don't even have to dig to the center of the earth to see most of 'em.

Well, you do need to dig to the center of the earth to see the latter half of the game, but it takes like 5 minutes to do.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Reiley posted:

Soldat is what they should be aiming to replicate. They even have melee weapons and jetpacks.

Soldat is pretty much perfection when it comes to 2D shootmans, if only for how good the controls feel.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they took away my "jerk" badge on the forums that's it I'm done with this loving game

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Soldat is pretty much perfection when it comes to 2D shootmans, if only for how good the controls feel.

Liero was better by miles. Just sayin.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Liero is a garbage game for garbage people

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Soldat was a really awesome multiplayer experience before literally every server was replaced with rocketjump maps.

It was also super moddable on the serverside; at its highest point half the servers had cool custom modes like rambo (instakill bow and knife) vs. Normal players, or RPG mechanics with EXP, traits, and buyable weapons (this being before COD4).

I would kill for Steamworks Soldat.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Liero is a garbage game for garbage people

Liero had banana bomb launchers. It was incredible. Soldat was ok, but i always had problems getting it to run consistantly for some reason. several friends couldnt get it to work at all.

One of my best high school memories was my friends mother screaming at me becuase she claimed Soldat gave her computer "the virus".

"YOUR loving GAME GAVE OUR FAMILY COMPUTER THE VIRUS. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS?! ITS GONNA COST US HUNDREDS TO FIX! HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS!"

Heres the best part: The monitor wasnt turning on becuase, i think, the cat had unplugged it.

When i fixed the problem, she wouldnt stop yelling about "The Virus" and how its been known to cause cord disconnections and steal your data. It was hilarious. I was never allowed to touch the computer in her house again.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Liero was loving amazing for the sheer moddability and insanity, so many hours with that game.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Deakul posted:

Liero was loving amazing for the sheer moddability and insanity, so many hours with that game.

Yeah. We had fun with it in my visual basic class. If we were done with our project the teacher gave us the go-ahead to play. Man, it was so fun... good memories.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Soldat and Liero are good answers, but they were very focused on ranged combat. Sometimes I feel like the only way to truly balance these 2d sandbox games is just remove melee weapons altogether.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't know what liero or soldat are

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

oddium posted:

You poor soul.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oddium posted:

They're old 2D games with a focus on shooting and fluid movement. They're good examples of really nailing gunplay and player interaction because even these days with all the advancements we've supposedly made in other games they're still fun to play and they control better than pretty much any other game in their genre, which is 2D shootmans.

More importantly, for context as to why they were brought up, they're proof that Starbounds guns don't have to be garbage.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

How about King Arthur's Gold?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
metal slug with building blocks...

would own

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

More importantly, for context as to why they were brought up, they're proof that Starbounds guns don't have to be garbage.

It's backwards thinking, really. Instead of making melee more powerful to counterbalance and make people even want to use it, they nerf ranged combat. If there were no melee weapons in starbound (which actually would make sense considering it's a futuristic game and in no way a copy of terraria, right) they wouldn't feel the need to make ranged combat "PVP viable" or other poo poo like that.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Jackard posted:

How about King Arthur's Gold?

I don't think that would work for this game

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Anything is possible in Starbound

The only limit..is yourself

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
They could leave in melee weapons but have them function as sort of offhand specialties, like in many shooters, where they're high damage panic buttons at close range, but not a substitute for your primary gun. Jump into the fray, start with a nearby target with a swing of some cool beamsword rock on a stick and then start blasting at whoever's left.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BillmasterCozb posted:

Anything is possible in Starbound

The only limit..is yourself

I limit myself to good games, thanks.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I don't remember melee weapons in Super Metroid. What is this horseshit!?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jackard posted:

I don't remember melee weapons in Super Metroid. What is this horseshit!?

No see, Super Metroid's Shinespark is the PERFECT Example of Melee for Starbound's design philosophy.

It's awkward to use and you lose health in the process :downsrim:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's also not at all like Starbound, because your guns are fun and satisfying in the first place and the shinespark exists primarily as a way to reach new areas, limited in interesting ways by the level layout, and when you use it to kill things it's not because your weaponry isn't enough it's because you really want to kill things in a badass way.

also Super Metroid has more than 5 different enemies

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

soldat is not very good why are people praising it so much

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

king arthur's gold is alright but last i checked it's practically abandoned so who knows

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

soldat is not very good why are people praising it so much

maybe they saw it next to starbound so it's like when you see an average looking person next to an ugly one??

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

don't sign your posts

also

Soldat actually owns

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Soldat is the platonic ideal of 2D gunplay on bumpy and highly-vertical terrain. It was heavily inspired by Counterstrike and all the weapon types feel different but are still lethal and feel good to shoot. It also has jet booster movement tech and melee weapon support. It's quite literally the closest model to what Chucklefish's game mechanics seem to be aiming for, or at least miles closer than Castlevania or Dark Souls can ever be compared. If you were Tiy and you wanted to find one single game to broadly describe the gameplay you want to make, it would be Soldat. It's proof that the concept of 2D gunplay works and it's why Starbound's inability to capture fun ranged combat, PvP or otherwise, is so baffling. They're reinventing the wheel with octagons.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

no it's really, really bad like i get that some of you probably played it 10000 years ago and it was great for the time but it's awful right now in tyool 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

no it's really, really bad like i get that some of you probably played it 10000 years ago and it was great for the time but it's awful right now in tyool 2016
I literally just went and redownloaded it and played it right now, while I am making this post, and it's very good and fun I'm sorry about your bad opinions disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Movement is weighty and deliberate but if you can use the momentum you can build up a lot of speed. You have few movement options, but they're all fairly important, and there's a lot of depth to getting around the map and approaching enemies. Gunplay is super satisfying and they got the exact right balance of projectile travel time+player size on screen to make out-aiming your opponent difficult, but not frustrating.

• Locked thread