Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah this is a big part of why the Crusader is so good, never forget you can do this.

Would have saved my PD on the Darkest Dungeon level 1 boss had I remembered to swap Battle Heal onto my Crusader: :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand the Bounty Hunter damage. Collect Bounty is supposed to have +90% damage against stunned enemies. I finally get the chance to hit a stunned enemy with it, and it does 4 damage. This is what happened the first time I tried BH and why I concluded initially (and wrongly) that it was a lovely gimmick.

But for real, how the gently caress. The mousover attack panel says

Hero to Hit: 90%
Hero to Crit: 21%
Hero damage: 4-8

So how, with a 90% damage bonus, do I do only 4 damage?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That's the accuracy not the damage.

Collect bounty does bonus damage to marked targets and humans
Finish him does bonus damage to stunned targets

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

FreeKillB posted:

Diseases are generally worth curing, negative quirks generally aren't (for much of the game).
I think The Yips is supposed to be a disease but its still considered a negative quirk. It's -5 ACC. Pretty sure it used to be worse.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

That's the accuracy not the damage.

Right, but the text of Collect Bounty says:

ACC base: 85
CRIT mod: 5%
Self: +90% DMG vs Marked+
Self: +15% DMG vs Human

Which is when I realize I'm retarded, because I confused Finish Him with Collect Bounty. Son of a bitch.

Well at least I know why it only did 4 damage.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It's actually Finish Him! which has a bonus against stunned enemies, Collect Bounty is the one with bonuses against marked enemies.

e:f,b.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Correctly applying Collect Bounty this time netted me a 27 damage crit. Yay!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If you only remove klepto and never lock in good quirks, what on earth do you spend all your gold on :confused:

e: to clarify I mean for experienced players, not new guys struggling with keeping their dudes destressed

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I'm in week 54 or so and am still pouring gold into blacksmith and skill upgrades, mostly. It's really expensive to outfit a deep roster of high-level heroes. A little gold goes into destressing and disease removal, as well as some of the more drastic negative quirks.

I guess I also spend a bit more than I strictly need to on provisions, but I'll be damned if I don't enter a Champion dungeon without being overprepared.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Rabies is actually a really solid disease and it's worth keeping if you can handle the accuracy loss.

Not many classes can afford to keep rabies around on champion runs--enemy evasion is just too high relative to maxed out accuracy. Arbalest and Grave Robber might be able to get away with it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jackard posted:

I think The Yips is supposed to be a disease but its still considered a negative quirk. It's -5 ACC. Pretty sure it used to be worse.

The Yips are in a weird position. On one end, it lowers accuracy. But on the other, it's a quirk that does so by not that much.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To be honest I only ever had to dismiss two heroes. I mean I did have two games that snowballed to hell when in the first I'd just started out and in the second I activated the Shambler. But those had more to do with my inexperience, from Game 3 I've been going for over 100 weeks, with the final Rank 5 bosses left and the Darkest Dungeon itself. My point is that you get to a point money, exploration etc. where there's no need to fire people or not provide stress relief. Granted, every time I went up a difficulty rank I've lost heroes. I don't doubt the Darkest Dungeon will be the same.

I will say that I spent most of Apprentice and Veteran Dungeons doing Dark Runs, not for anything beyond saving some cash and having more spots for loot.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Soothing Vapors posted:

here's a mod designed to make the game easier. this may help. you can also turn off corpses and heart attacks and such in the options. good luck.
Oh, some of the other skins are kind of neat

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I killed the Swine Prince! ...and then my Hound Master died to Wilbur :(

All because my Vestal wanted to make sure the Swine Prince died that round. Could have healed what's-his-face instead, and we all would have lived.

Already forgot his name.

This game rules.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is there a mod that makes everything brightly colored and possibly turns the backgrounds of dungeons into candy

edit: this is not a joke question

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The highwaymen in my roster have issues for some reason they miss 90% of their shots without having any quirks or trinkets that reduce accuracy. Sorry dismas but, you will be the first sacrifice if I have to retreat from the darkest dungeon.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Macaluso posted:

Is there a mod that makes everything brightly colored and possibly turns the backgrounds of dungeons into candy

Uncheck all the default Darkest Dungeon setting.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Yes but it's not finished yet http://gfycat.com/SnoopyZigzagCygnet

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

The highwaymen in my roster have issues for some reason they miss 90% of their shots without having any quirks or trinkets that reduce accuracy. Sorry dismas but, you will be the first sacrifice if I have to retreat from the darkest dungeon.
The sacrifice is chosen at random, hth.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Oh my god

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Macaluso posted:

No but look out for the sequel in which you explore fluorescent landscapes of candy and pillows with a gang of happy little kids.

All the enemies are still grotesque and aiming to murder you though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Snak posted:

I killed the Swine Prince! ...and then my Hound Master died to Wilbur :(
This was my first hero death, way back during Early Access.

It was a Grave Robber, I will forever remember her because I laughed pretty hard at her, getting herself killed by the cheerleader pig.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

When should you restart the game? Is there a point of no return in terms of loving up?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

We need "never restart" with sirens and poo poo in the OP

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Snak posted:

ROSTER:
Leper lvl 0
Leper lvl 2
Crusader lvl 0
Highwayman lvl 0
Highwayman lvl 2
Occultist lvl 2
Vestal lvl 1
Plague Doctor lvl 1

STAGE COACH:
2x Bounty Hunter
Vestal
Abomination
Arbalest
Hellion

Like someone said, fire your level 0 leper. If your highwayman and crusader are above 0 stress, consider firing them to make room if you need to. Hire the hellion even if you're not using her this week. You've got some pretty decent groups you could choose from though.

Vestal-plague-highway-crusader is the starter because it is straight forward and not too terrible. If you're going elsewhere than ruins you can swap crusader for the hellion.
Arb-occ-bounty-hellion works.
occ-highway-bounty-leper could do warrens. Swap occ with vestal if you don't want to use any marking. Swap leper with crusader for ruins, swap leper with hellion for weald/cove.

If you don't have an abom in your roster I'd grab him, but he can be a bit rough to get used to. Occ-Jest-Abom-Hel is the party I like with him. Swapping Hellion with Man-at-arms is ok too.

I will counter soothing vapors and recommend you keep come hither over uppercut, pulls are generally more successful and are doing damage to the target you want to kill first. The knockback has a stun which is nice, but usually the positioning bit is more important.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Elderbean posted:

When should you restart the game? Is there a point of no return in terms of loving up?

There is no such point of no return (new game plus excepted). You can always throw 4 disposable heroes with no provisions into a dungeon for cash, and profit as long as you can retreat before everyone bites it. Putting upgrades into your hamlet is permanent progress, which can never be taken away. The only thing you can lose are your heroes, and you always have the ability to start from scratch hero-wise without a reset.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

FreeKillB posted:

The sacrifice is chosen at random, hth.

oh gently caress, i did not know this. good to know, im about to head into the 3rd mission of the Darkest Dungeon. the first two I got on my first try but im sure my luck will run out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Siren down!

The team I had a few problems, but it worked out fine. I had Occultist/Bounty Hunter/Highwayman/Hellion. When the Siren took my Hellion, I used Come Hither to move the Siren in front of her so she just stood in the back buffing herself.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

If you only remove klepto and never lock in good quirks, what on earth do you spend all your gold on :confused:

e: to clarify I mean for experienced players, not new guys struggling with keeping their dudes destressed

upgrading skills, arms, and armour.

having those upgraded means your guys miss less, dodge more, have more health, heal better, stun better, etc etc. spending 6k for the vast majority of traits is not worth it at all in comparison.

once your skills and gear are upgraded, dark runs go from suicidal to cakewalk. if you're not hauling in 20k+ every run, you're just muckin about.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

:tem:

Is this an actual mod or an edit? If mod, can I get a link please?

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Elderbean posted:

If you can complete your first run of the Ruins without abandoning, you don't need to restart your file for any reason thereafter. As I've been lead to believe, the first Ruins run is even easier to do since release.

My only restart happened because, my first time ever playing, I needlessly abandoned my first three quests to spare my heroes and thus cost me all my gold, earned me no experience but lots of stress. All because I misunderstood the game somehow. And even then, some in the thread might argue even that's not a reason to restart.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, breezed through the level on the way to the hag. 2 guys died fighting the hag, and there was basically coinflip to see if the Arbalest's blind shot killed the hag. It hit the pot instead, and the only survivor of the fight ended up being the highwayman who was in the pot, who retreated when he got dumped out.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Snak posted:

Oh man, breezed through the level on the way to the hag. 2 guys died fighting the hag, and there was basically coinflip to see if the Arbalest's blind shot killed the hag. It hit the pot instead, and the only survivor of the fight ended up being the highwayman who was in the pot, who retreated when he got dumped out.

Shoulda went for the kill with him. Even if you failed, there's an achievement for party wiping on a boss.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i hate the hag

just burst her down and bleed her; don't try to attack the pot

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

oh gently caress, i did not know this. good to know, im about to head into the 3rd mission of the Darkest Dungeon. the first two I got on my first try but im sure my luck will run out.

i had to abandon. shouldnt have pushed my luck bringing a leper again, lots more enemies with move attacks in part 3. also brought a million bandages because of the first two missions only to find out everything blights in the 3rd part.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Shoulda went for the kill with him. Even if you failed, there's an achievement for party wiping on a boss.

I couldn't. He didn't have any abilities that could hit her from the first row.

Man, it's incredible how much of a difference it made to go from

Vestal + Plague Doctor/Hound Master + Highwayman + Leper

to

Occultist + Bounty Hunter + Highwayman + Hellion/Crusader

The difference in synergy is night and day. I thought with the first build I was getting some good interactions and playing to the strengths of each character. But playing the second build is like playing a completely different game. I can finish missions with hardly any stress. Obviously I'm going to keep trying to learn to use Vestal's and Plague Doctors and Hound Masters effectively, but now that I've seen how an effective team plays, I have an entirely new standard for what "that fight went well" means.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So what happened to the alternate skin poll thing that was backer-only? Which were the options and which one won?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i hate the hag

just burst her down and bleed her; don't try to attack the pot

You're probably also gonna hate the crew. One of their attacks is to add an enemy whose purpose is to immobilize the very front, inflicting stress AND giving the crew 3 HP per turn. Oh, and the crew can and will force a party member to the front if they can. And also, the enemy has a 50% PROT rating, which goes to the crew after immobilization.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Just replacing the leper goes a long way. The biggest key to vestal is getting judgement, because an attack option in rounds 1+2 is really strong for mopping enemies up quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZypherIM posted:

Just replacing the leper goes a long way. The biggest key to vestal is getting judgement, because an attack option in rounds 1+2 is really strong for mopping enemies up quick.

Added bonus of having it heal her a little is great, too.