Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

Somebody explain to me why I should ever take an Inner Sphere mech over a Clan mech. Clan mechs are faster and have better range.

Atlaseses. Other than that yeah it takes a special kind of sperglord who compares quirk-points on a spreadsheet.

Edit: okay I'm being a little over simplistic here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Somebody explain to me why I should ever take an Inner Sphere mech over a Clan mech. Clan mechs are faster and have better range.

Is mechs often have better alphas because they don't get hit with ghost heat as readily, and the quirks on IS mechs means that some builds on some IS mechs are just flat up better than an equivilent clan one.

Also, IS ballistics are usually regarded as better because they only fire one shell at a time, which makes it much easier to focus damage than with the clan ballistics.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Kurzon posted:

They specialize into weapon types extremely well with quirks and can be reasonably durable with armor/structure quirks. But overall clans are more friendly to play with, due to their quicker mechs being able to slap on a reasonable amount of weapons. And never having to worry about losing an entire mech from a RT/LT loss with XLs.

IS ballistics do concentrate damage better while clans can slap on even more ballistics with less compromise.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
And IS mechs tend to look hilariously goofy which is awesome.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kurzon posted:

For a couple years that was a really good question! :v:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
IS mechs also look cooler and they're the ones I played in Mechwarrior 2/3/4/table top

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Inner Sphere for life. :c00lbert:

I like my giant robots janky and sub-optimal.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
loving space AT&T ruined robots for everybody. The clans have/had all of the scientists, so of course they have the better robots.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Kurzon posted:

Inner Sphere robots have more character.

BT games are a gateway drug to the greater IP, and you will fall into the robot hole sooner or later. The Clan fandom is full of shame and the sort of nerds who spend $500 on golden Madcats.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Man, I haven't teamkilled a gold Mad Cat in forever, where'd they all go?

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Elliotw2 posted:

That was really a thing? Man I'm glad I stayed away until last month.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Elliotw2 posted:

There's more players now so you're less likely to see them.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

Inner Sphere are the T-800 and Clan are the T-1000.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Inner Sphere are the T-800 and Clan are the T-1000.

Also goddamn this game needs a replay function. Something popped the left leg and all of the right leg's armor off on my Spider on a Frozen City match, leaving me with one LPL, a bunch of jump jets, and a 40 km/h top speed. I dug through the rear armor of a tunnel-visioned Warhammer and cored it, kept limping to skirmish a bit with a Mad Cat, limped into cover and then burned into and through the side torso of an XL-engined Catapult CPLT-K2, and surprisingly found myself at the end of the match. My Spider about to fall apart and one damaged Shadow Cat versus the Mad Cat from earlier who was still in largely yellow-ish condition but without any rear CT armor. Walked over to a building while the Shadow Cat ran distraction, got behind the Timberwolf and... poo poo, it turned. Some-the-gently caress-how it didn't kill me after shooting once, and I called in an airstrike and kept shooting at the front CT to expose it. It died. Spiders loving own.

Sard fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jan 28, 2016

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Sard posted:

Also goddamn this game needs a replay function. Something popped the left leg and all of the right leg's armor off on my Spider on a Frozen City match, leaving me with one LPL, a bunch of jump jets, and a 40 km/h top speed. I dug through the rear armor of a Warhammer and cored it, kept limping to skirmish a bit with a Mad Cat, limped into cover and then dug through the side of an XL-engined Catapult, and found myself at the end of the match. My Spider about to fall apart and one damaged Shadow Cat versus the Mad Cat from earlier who was still in largely yellow-ish condition but without any rear CT armor. Walked over to a building while the Shadow Cat ran distraction, got behind the Timberwolf and... poo poo, it turned. Some-the-gently caress-how it didn't kill me after shooting once, and I called in an airstrike and kept shooting at the front CT to expose it. It died. Spiders loving own.

I use bandicam for all my MWO recording needs

the trial version only lets you record 10 minutes at a time but most quickplay matches don't last that long

hopefully

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
You can set up OBS to record video locally. There's no limitations on it. It's not quite as easy as just hitting a record button, though.

edit: Or use Nvidia Shadowplay, or the dumb Xbox app in Win10 or...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Use Shadowplay/GameDVR, according to your graphical settings, and just set it to 10-15 minutes backlog. That's more than enough time for most MWO matches and you can just mash a button to dump the match into a video.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elliotw2 posted:

Use Shadowplay/GameDVR, according to your graphical settings, and just set it to 10-15 minutes backlog. That's more than enough time for most MWO matches and you can just mash a button to dump the match into a video.

speaking of this, i enjoyed the hell out of putting music to this match, so if anyone has a ~5 min vid of them being awesome they'd like soundtracked, post it in thread.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The only soundtrack i can mech to is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXEQG_kiDK8
I think its around 60 kp/h that your robot headbobs to the beat.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfh43kF-n4Q

Combining the post about soundtracking videos with the post about how Spiders are good.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ZombieApostate posted:

You can set up OBS to record video locally. There's no limitations on it. It's not quite as easy as just hitting a record button, though.

edit: Or use Nvidia Shadowplay, or the dumb Xbox app in Win10 or...

I set up OBS the other night, one button pressed at the beginning of game, one button pressed at end. Great quality too

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kurzon posted:

Inner sphere mechs are tougher (when they don't have XL) and depending on quirks have better range. Often they have better heat managed DPS, and put their damage on target faster than clan mechs due to shorter burn times and single shot autocannons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Now that I'm done with dragon's dogma, is everyone still picking polar constantly?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anyone have the :pgi: time line link ChronoJam made?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kurzon posted:

Clan medium lasers are the worst heat-to-damage ratio in the game, and clan lasers burn forever.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
All of this makes me wonder the exact opposite:
Why should i ever play clan mechs again, if IS basically has every advantage?
The only thing clan has is omnipods so you can better customize inferior mechs with inferior weapons?

Since i got into IS mechs, i cant bring myself to play clanners anymore since i terribly miss quirks.
The few and only quirks clans have make stuff slightly worse it seems.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I dunno, Clan mechs get some pretty awesome SSRM of various sizes. IS SSRM2 are very anemic. I prefer IS mechs and have sold off my clan mechs. Might revisit them someday but for now IS all the way.

How are the Black Knights? They look like some fun las vomit machines. Considering getting them after I buy my last Griffin.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The only thing clan has is omnipods so you can better customize inferior mechs with inferior weapons?

Since i got into IS mechs, i cant bring myself to play clanners anymore since i terribly miss quirks.

Because my Direwolf can pump out tons of damage at 800m away

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Astroniomix posted:

Clan medium lasers are the worst heat-to-damage ratio in the game,

Naw, that's still the exclusive territory of ER PPCs.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I wouldn't go that far.

Clan weapons are lighter and many occupy fewer slots than their IS equivalent, so you can mount more.
They also have higher base damage and range to make up for the extra heat and burn time.

For instance:
MPL's = 6 dmg (short burn, rapid recharge)
Clan MPLs = 8 dmg (longer burn and cooldown)

Clan mechs are usually faster for their weight because they all come with preloaded XL's that require losing both sides to be destroyed.
So they're usually more mobile. Seriously, a stock TW does almost 90 after speed tweak, and you can't change the engine so the rest do to.

Clan ballistics, while lacking the pinpoint precision of IS guns, lay down a steady stream of lead that keeps cockpits shaking.
It's fun to take my Dakka Wolf and just unload on people that die without shooting back because they never even get to see me through the smoke.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I read that in the tabletop game, Clan mechs are superior to IS in every way. How was this supposed to be balanced? Are IS mechs just cheap and they zerg rush the Clan side or something?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
IS Mechs tend to specialize better than Clan thanks to the quirks, and structure quirks make them very durable in comparison to clan boats. Bigger engines and lighter guns let the better clan mechs fit more generalist builds better, and the higher average speeds among the heavy mechs let them set the terms of the fight better. The main thing with clan heavies is that their real advantage comes from maneuvering, so there's a bit more of a skill curve than simply getting in someone's face and twisting your torso when you get shot at.

Kurzon posted:

I read that in the tabletop game, Clan mechs are superior to IS in every way. How was this supposed to be balanced? Are IS mechs just cheap and they zerg rush the Clan side or something?

In TT, there's something called Battle Value, which weights thing in the IS's favor. This basically results in the IS side having almost 2x the mechs. It can actually be really tough for clans, and if you use Zellbringen rules, it's goddamn hard mode.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 28, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Beraiye posted:

I wouldn't go that far.

Clan weapons are lighter and many occupy fewer slots than their IS equivalent, so you can mount more.
They also have higher base damage and range to make up for the extra heat and burn time.

For instance:
MPL's = 6 dmg (short burn, rapid recharge)
Clan MPLs = 8 dmg (longer burn and cooldown)

Clan mechs are usually faster for their weight because they all come with preloaded XL's that require losing both sides to be destroyed.
So they're usually more mobile. Seriously, a stock TW does almost 90 after speed tweak, and you can't change the engine so the rest do to.

Clan ballistics, while lacking the pinpoint precision of IS guns, lay down a steady stream of lead that keeps cockpits shaking.
It's fun to take my Dakka Wolf and just unload on people that die without shooting back because they never even get to see me through the smoke.

So they are more mobile by default, whereas IS can choose between being more mobile (at the cost of durability) or being slower but more durable.

Thats basically what im reading out of this thread (and ingame info, sparse as it is).
Every part by itself balances out between the 2 sides - but then IS gets quirks on top.
It feels like everything i can do in a clan mech i can do better in a designated IS mech that has the right quirks, but usually at half the cost?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You asked people why they'd bother playing IS mechs, so naturally you got a list of IS strengths. You didn't ask for an actual comparison.

Clan stuff is still smaller and lighter so you can fit more weapons and equipment. Clan weapons are hotter, but they weigh less and Clan DHS are only 2 slots so you can fit more of them. Clan Endo-Steel and Ferro-Fibrous armor take half the slots. Clan XL engines are less fragile. Et cetera et cetera.

The point is that PGI actually groped and stumbled their way to a situation where Clan and IS are, if not exactly well-balanced, at least not operating in completely different universes in terms of power level. There are reasons to use either depending on what kind of mech you want to build, what your playstyle is like, and so on.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Supraluminal posted:

You asked people why they'd bother playing IS mechs, so naturally you got a list of IS strengths. You didn't ask for an actual comparison.

Clan stuff is still smaller and lighter so you can fit more weapons and equipment. Clan weapons are hotter, but they weigh less and Clan DHS are only 2 slots so you can fit more of them. Clan Endo-Steel and Ferro-Fibrous armor take half the slots. Clan XL engines are less fragile. Et cetera et cetera.

The point is that PGI actually groped and stumbled their way to a situation where Clan and IS are, if not exactly well-balanced, at least not operating in completely different universes in terms of power level. There are reasons to use either depending on what kind of mech you want to build, what your playstyle is like, and so on.

No, someone else asked this.
the replies to their question made me ask mine.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

No, someone else asked this.
the replies to their question made me ask mine.

Oh, sorry, you're right. Anyway, point stands - the question was why IS mechs are ever worthwhile, so that's how people answered. The other side of the story is that Clans still have a lot of their own advantages.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

A.o.D. posted:

In TT, there's something called Battle Value, which weights thing in the IS's favor. This basically results in the IS side having almost 2x the mechs. It can actually be really tough for clans, and if you use Zellbringen rules, it's goddamn hard mode.
Interesting stuff. So IS vs Clan is like Zerg vs Protoss. Or Orks vs Space Marines. But of course in a multiplayer shooter this scheme cannot work.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kurzon posted:

Interesting stuff. So IS vs Clan is like Zerg vs Protoss. Or Orks vs Space Marines. But of course in a multiplayer shooter this scheme cannot work.

Id say Space Marines vs. Battle Sisters.

One side would have to either get more players or more spawns, and the majority of people dont like to be the underdog.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I think overall clans are better. They have the best lights with the cheeta and the jenner IIc, great mediums with the stormcrow and shadowcats, great heavies with the timber, ebon jag, snd hellbringer. Their assaults are so-so, dire and executioner.

Clans have the XL thing going fo them, the omnipods mean you dont have to suffer through skilling out two other subpar mechs, plus you can sell crappy omnipods to recoup your expenses. Yes they are expensive, but bear in mind most clan mechs come with ferro, endo and DHS already equipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Thanks for the opinions.

Moving on to another topic...

I like the Hellbringer because the left torso has high laser mounts which is great for peeking over hills. However, it doesn't have jump jets. Is there a mech that is great for peeking and also has jump jets? I'd prefer Clan options because of the longer ranges.

• Locked thread