Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

The more time passes, and the more the internet's weird hateboner for the Star Wars prequels becomes creepy.

Nobody was even criticizing the prequels that harshly or passionately in this particular conversation, so this just comes across like you've got the regular kind of weird boner for the prequels.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ugh, why did I even open my huge mouth? (metaphorically speaking)

Good question.

MonsieurChoc posted:

loving hell. This is a real post someone made.

Reaaally good question, in fact.

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The new Anime Abandon is up and it is Very Private Lesson. Bennet suffers a lot so we can suffer too :suspense:.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The new Anime Abandon is up and it is Very Private Lesson. Bennet suffers a lot so we can suffer too :suspense:.

Why the gently caress did nobody tell me that he reviewed Castle of Cagliostro like a week ago.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

According to the replies on twitter he retweeted, that anime must be some wretched burning garbage. I'm looking forward to check out the review!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

loving hell. This is a real post someone made.

Sorry if I'm being mean buddy but this comes up every loving time somebody says the word "prequel", you gotta say your piece about how the prequels are obviously not that bad you weirdos, MrBibbs will agree with you, and everybody else dogpiles you, so why do you do it every loving time?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jimbot posted:

According to the replies on twitter he retweeted, that anime must be some wretched burning garbage. I'm looking forward to check out the review!

It's an absolute loving mess, I'll say that. It's not even an interestingly bad anime outside of the characters being abysmal.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
At least he's being earnest, and not doing a modestly-effective SMG troll post or an incredibly ineffective Cnut troll post.

Has the Force Awakens thread stopped being intolerable yet? I bailed a few weeks ago when it became clear that prequel discussion wouldn't stop?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Those prequels were pretty bad...

... The Lord of the Rings prequels!

What in the flying gently caress happened with those Hobbit films? The second and third obviously suffered from a two movie thing being split into three but even the first, while it had its moments, felt like everyone on the production side going through the motions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DStecks posted:

Sorry if I'm being mean buddy but this comes up every loving time somebody says the word "prequel", you gotta say your piece about how the prequels are obviously not that bad you weirdos, MrBibbs will agree with you, and everybody else dogpiles you, so why do you do it every loving time?

Sorry, I guess. It's just so loving stupid. It's like if everybody randomly added how much they hate, I dunno, broccoli to their sentences and when people dare point out how stupid that is they get dogpiled by douchebags.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jimbot posted:

What in the flying gently caress happened with those Hobbit films? The second and third obviously suffered from a two movie thing being split into three but even the first, while it had its moments, felt like everyone on the production side going through the motions.

Peter Jackson actually explains it really well in the BTS for the third film. Basically, after taking over the project from Del Toro they had basically no time to do pre-production planning for shots (storyboards, etc.) and so they had to basically wing it for the majority of the shoots. They did the same thing with much of the scripting. The only time they had to do a lot of planning before filming was when they took 8-12 months off of shooting to plan out the big battle for the third film.

At least part of the clip => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Those prequels were pretty bad...

... The Lord of the Rings prequels!

There's no reason for more than one, and there's no reason for that one to be longer than 80 minutes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Broccoli undermines a good meal the same way the prequels tried their damnedest to undermine the original trilogy.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

There's no reason for more than one, and there's no reason for that one to be longer than 80 minutes.

Ok, I don't think you can tell the story of a hobbit with a Hollywood budget and be shorter then star wars, let be realistc here, Hollywood don't make 90 min films anymore.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

Peter Jackson actually explains it really well in the BTS for the third film. Basically, after taking over the project from Del Toro they had basically no time to do pre-production planning for shots (storyboards, etc.) and so they had to basically wing it for the majority of the shoots. They did the same thing with much of the scripting. The only time they had to do a lot of planning before filming was when they took 8-12 months off of shooting to plan out the big battle for the third film.

At least part of the clip => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk

That actually explains a lot of things.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jack Gladney posted:

I could see 2 movies with the inclusion of the necromancer plot. Really no need for the invented tragic story of the love of an elf and a dwarf though. It was done much better in LOTR.

I don't really blame Jackson though. Dude didn't want anything to do with directing another one and then Del Toro had to pull out and he was the only guy left to step in and direct. I found the result mostly enjoyable and I'm sure some fan will edit together a better version within a year or two.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

There is, in fact, a good 90 minute Hobbit movie that's actually only 70 minutes. Only watch this mirror though. The others have translation errors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl7w2Z0vGpA

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One thing I'll give the Hobbit movies, they gave us the singing dwarves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAxy3HdiCOY

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I feel it's worth posting the guy who rebutts the 40 things wrong with TFA nonsense HuffPo posted.
https://m.facebook.com/notes/matty-...153163095086277

It's staggering how nitpicky and clickbait that list is, especially as he says so much of this is obvious if you just watch the loving film.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Broccoli undermines a good meal the same way the prequels tried their damnedest to undermine the original trilogy.

Broccoli owns.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Motto posted:

Broccoli owns.

Broccoli is my favorite vegetable. Don't compare it to the prequels, please.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Total Brisket and broccoli derails are subjects I could totally get behind. This thread is looking up.

Paul is poop and I write that as someone sympathetic to Pegg. I think a lot of people in the UK saw Paul as a mistake on Pegg's part - too much aimed as a breakout movie for US audiences, too polemical, too many strawmen, too reliant on Seth Rogan repartee, too much reliant on references to pop culture and not toughly logical enough (internal logic for the setting). I get the feeling that Pegg has admitted Paul was a misstep - or am I imagining that?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
With Force Awakens, My argument is less that Rey is a Mary Sue, but that, to me, it didn't feel like she was given that strong of a motivation, or characterized real well. I think Finn has a much stronger arc in comparison. A lot of what he does is more out of choice (fleeing the First Order, freeing Poe, going with Han and Chewie to find Rey & destroy the Not-Death Star). Rey on the other hand, wants to return to Not-Tatooine, just to wait for somebody. I understand that's something that it's something that will probably be followed up on in the next movie, but we're given very little information, and it doesn't seem really compelling.

I admit that I was out of the theater between the point where you first see Rey and when you see her wearing the helmet, so it's possible that I missed something critical.

OldMemes posted:

Rey is Force sensitive, but she doesn't know how to use it properly - her using the Jedi Mind Trick is a mix of instinct and dumb luck. It's like giving a machine gun to someone - they might not know how to use it, but there's a good chance they'll hit something.
I feel like that's kind of a stretch. It's one thing for her to be able to resist having her mind read. It's another to be able to command the guard to free her from the cell. I think it doesn't help that they don't really establish the mind trick working within TFA beforehand. Had you never seen A New Hope, I imagine you'd think it was something they just made up.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ugh, why did I even open my huge mouth? (metaphorically speaking)
To give a little credit to the prequels, while they also banked heavily on imagery from the original films, they also tried doing some new stuff. It didn't work, but I think there was an attempt to do something different. I wouldn't call The Force Awakens bad by any means, but it really feels like a retread of A New Hope, and I was disappointed by that.

That's just my take on it. It's likely I'm forgetting something, or that I'm being too cynical or nit-picky.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 28, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Gyges posted:

I could see 2 movies with the inclusion of the necromancer plot. Really no need for the invented tragic story of the love of an elf and a dwarf though. It was done much better in LOTR.

I don't really blame Jackson though. Dude didn't want anything to do with directing another one and then Del Toro had to pull out and he was the only guy left to step in and direct. I found the result mostly enjoyable and I'm sure some fan will edit together a better version within a year or two.

Yep, as soon as they decided the Hobbit would be its own trilogy that was when poo poo got megafucked no matter who directed. It would've been really funny to see the reaction if Jackson had just said "gently caress no" instead of taking the reins and the whole plan for the Hobbit collapsed.

And ffffffuuuuuckkk them for replacing so much of LOTR's practical effects with CGI. :argh:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yep, as soon as they decided the Hobbit would be its own trilogy that was when poo poo got megafucked no matter who directed. It would've been really funny to see the reaction if Jackson had just said "gently caress no" instead of taking the reins and the whole plan for the Hobbit collapsed.

And ffffffuuuuuckkk them for replacing so much of LOTR's practical effects with CGI. :argh:

Plus the Hobbit is more of a kids tale, not an epic like the first trilogy.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I got a notification that Todd had a new video up on Patreon, but when I tried to follow the link it just takes me to my Patreon homepage. Also I can't find any new videos anywhere on Todd's page.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Force Awakens is fine. It's an order of magnitude better than the prequels and also better than Return of the Jedi. It's got some problems and sometimes leans too heavily on trying to be like the first movie in some respects, and the callbacks and jokes are a bit forced at times, but it's a fun adventure with likable characters and frankly that's all I really want out of a Star Wars movie. Hopefully the next two movies are also good.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Cubey posted:

The Force Awakens is fine. It's an order of magnitude better than the prequels and also better than Return of the Jedi. It's got some problems and sometimes leans too heavily on trying to be like the first movie in some respects, and the callbacks and jokes are a bit forced at times, but it's a fun adventure with likable characters and frankly that's all I really want out of a Star Wars movie. Hopefully the next two movies are also good.

No but SJWs though.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

With Force Awakens, My argument is less that Rey is a Mary Sue, but that, to me, it didn't feel like she was given that strong of a motivation, or characterized real well. I think Finn has a much stronger arc in comparison. A lot of what he does is more out of choice (fleeing the First Order, freeing Poe, going with Han and Chewie to find Rey & destroy the Not-Death Star). Rey on the other hand, wants to return to Not-Tatooine, just to wait for somebody. I understand that's something that it's something that will probably be followed up on in the next movie, but we're given very little information, and it doesn't seem really compelling.

I admit that I was out of the theater between the point where you first see Rey and when you see her wearing the helmet, so it's possible that I missed something critical.

Her motivation has pretty much been to help people and generally do good guy things; if her actual motivation was to stay on not-Tattooine, the movie would have involved her trying to get back there and things getting in the way, a la Fury Road. It's a goal, sure, but it's not really her motivation, and I expect they didn't spend a lot of time spelling it out because it's much easier to understand "Protag in an Action Movie wants to Do Good" than it is to understand, say, "Guy who was raised by the bad guys wants to Do Good" or "Son of previous heroes wants to Do Evil." (Spoilering that just in case.)

And no, you didn't really miss much, just her doing her job.

quote:

I feel like that's kind of a stretch. It's one thing for her to be able to resist having her mind read. It's another to be able to command the guard to free her from the cell. I think it doesn't help that they don't really establish the mind trick working within TFA beforehand. Had you never seen A New Hope, I imagine you'd think it was something they just made up.

Gotta agree on that one; I guess an argument could be made for like instinct or something, but that particular bit felt really out of left field. Maybe she heard Luke could do it in the legends and was all, "WELP I guess it's worth a try." Either way, that was a thing that needed a setup.

quote:

To give a little credit to the prequels, while they also banked heavily on imagery from the original films, they also tried doing some new stuff. It didn't work, but I think there was an attempt to do something different. I wouldn't call The Force Awakens bad by any means, but it really feels like a retread of A New Hope, and I was disappointed by that.

That's just my take on it. It's likely I'm forgetting something, or that I'm being too cynical or nit-picky.

It's always kind of confusing to me when people complain that TFA was too much like the first movie. It's basically a fairy tale but with pew pew lasers; the plot doesn't NEED to be different, it just needs to connect cool set pieces and feature endearing characters. I also don't really agree that it's a retread, since there's substantial differences like the entire presence of Finn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puppy Time posted:

Gotta agree on that one; I guess an argument could be made for like instinct or something, but that particular bit felt really out of left field. Maybe she heard Luke could do it in the legends and was all, "WELP I guess it's worth a try." Either way, that was a thing that needed a setup.

I took that as more from Kylo Ren trying it on Rey beforehand to get information out of her. Half-instinct, half an abnormal amount of focus from "if this doesn't work, I'm dead". It did need better setup though.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Puppy Time posted:

Her motivation has pretty much been to help people and generally do good guy things;

I don't know if this was your intention, but you're sort of proving his point. "helping people and generally doing good guy things" is the blandest motivation you could possibly have. Compare Luke in the OT: his motivation when we meet him was "get the gently caress out of Space Alabama" but changed to "get revenge on the Empire for killing his aunt and uncle" and "become a Jedi." None of which are particularly unique or world-shattering, but at least they're specific and actionable.

Hopefully Rey gets more of a character in the sequels, though. At this point she basically has the same goals as Luke did, it just took her a whole movie to get there.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I'm not sure you need detailed character motivation in an action movie, especially when there's already a lot of other stuff going on.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
People need to let the healing begin and treat the prequels the way they treat Paul Blart or Highlander 2.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Most people do, except I can't think of anyone who regularly defends Highlander 2.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

Most people do, except I can't think of anyone who regularly defends Highlander 2.

SuperMechagodzilla would be my best guess.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PiedPiper posted:

SuperMechagodzilla would be my best guess.

That's because SMG is a national treasure in performance art.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Terrible Opinions posted:

Well I'd be interested to meet them and find out why they like it. Variety is the spice of life.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well I'd be interested to meet them and find out why they like it. Variety is the spice of life.

I mean, it does have Michael Ironside. It's not all bad.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They probably exist, since Highlander 2 would actually be an alright science fiction movie if it wasn't supposed to be a sequel to Highlander. I mean, not some masterpiece or cult classic, but a solid b-movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

gently caress it, I'm going to make one last post about he stupid prequels because otherwise it's going to bother me all day.

The prequels are good, if flawed, movies. They have great visual storytelling, cool designs and an interesting story. Their weaknesses mostly turn around the fact that Lucas isn't an actor's director, and as such the performances are very uneven and the dialogue is serviceable at best. Much like how bad broccoli is depends a lot on personal taste, how bad the prequels are depend a lot on what you think is most important in a movie. HOWEVER' even if you value acting and dialogue over everything, the prequels are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be. Even the worst one (AOTC) is way better than poo poo like Paul Blart or Highlander 2 or any Adam Sandler movie.

It's like this weird religious obsession, where the prequels have to be constantly referred to as the worst movies ever, even as they quite clearly aren't. And people who dare question this orthodoxy have to shunned and attacked. It makes no loving sense and it gets on my nerves and that's why I keep defending these stupid movies that aren't even that great.

Now we can forget about this pointless argument and go back to talking about important things like Baywatch or bad 80s anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress it, I'm going to make one last post about he stupid prequels because otherwise it's going to bother me all day.

The prequels are good, if flawed, movies. They have great visual storytelling, cool designs and an interesting story. Their weaknesses mostly turn around the fact that Lucas isn't an actor's director, and as such the performances are very uneven and the dialogue is serviceable at best. Much like how bad broccoli is depends a lot on personal taste, how bad the prequels are depend a lot on what you think is most important in a movie. HOWEVER' even if you value acting and dialogue over everything, the prequels are nowhere near as bad as people make them out to be. Even the worst one (AOTC) is way better than poo poo like Paul Blart or Highlander 2 or any Adam Sandler movie.

It's like this weird religious obsession, where the prequels have to be constantly referred to as the worst movies ever, even as they quite clearly aren't. And people who dare question this orthodoxy have to shunned and attacked. It makes no loving sense and it gets on my nerves and that's why I keep defending these stupid movies that aren't even that great.

Now we can forget about this pointless argument and go back to talking about important things like Baywatch or bad 80s anime.

No. This bullshit counter-jerk about how they are actually "good" movies is insane. You just want to be contrarian to the people who (rightfully) think they are bad movies.

I've noticed this trend of "Well, they aren't really as bad as people say they are" cropping up and it's insufferable. "Worst movies ever?" No, of course not. But yes, they are very bad films and no amount of you claiming they are good films will change that.

"An interesting story" come the gently caress on.

• Locked thread