Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

They have them stowed aboard the Stormwolf, duh

again, don't ask about the Stormwolf though

Mango Polo posted:

Every Wulfen is wolfy, but some Wulfen are more wolfy than others.

and only the wulfiest get ridden by their brothers

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

Viking werewolf super post-humans have the potential to be so loving cool it blows my mind. Yet, for some reason, when GW squeezes them in power armour (or power jorts now, I guess), it does absolutely nothing for me.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Good fluff

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Hencoe posted:

I've heard it's only one attack, at WS4 you're hitting other combat units on 4's* which is cool, and useful, as an adrenaline fueled werewolf berserker tried to take down his foe with his dying breath, but not horribly broken.

*except Tyranids

This helps, with a 3 attack base, being able to retaliate at full hits would be beyond outrageous. Even with the Stormshield FnP these guys would melt to most shooting, I am curious how they math out against other point optimal CQC units like Haemonculi, Genestealers, Flayed Ones, Honor Guard, etc. If that two-handed Axe Hits at AP 2 at initiative we could be looking at something pretty nasty for a mere 8 points. Somehow I doubt this is the case since Relic Blades are two-handed but AP 3, and are overpriced garbage, so it might merely be a wolfy Relic Blade.

Wulfen are clearly heresy, like no doubt at all, also they barely beat out the Space Angel Vampires in the silly rear end lore competition, merely because Blood Angels have the redeeming factor or looking loving 100% rad, while Space Wolf stuff is boring as hell...

Germ posted:

Viking werewolf super post-humans have the potential to be so loving cool it blows my mind. Yet, for some reason, when GW squeezes them in power armour (or power jorts now, I guess), it does absolutely nothing for me.

Honestly, I hate the idea. At least the GW version goes back to the roots of the idea that being a Wolf-Man is a terrible curse, and hopefully their special rules have some sort of side effect like them turning on their allies in rare situations. Space Marines are pretty much described as the pinnacle of what a human designed for war can be, created by the galaxies greatest genius, which already screams super masculine wish fulfillment. So having another step to this that is basically "they are just like Space Marines, but wolves, and better in every way" sounds like something a teenage furry would write. Having them as mutated abominations to big for their power armor and barely useful on the battlefield due to unpredictability is perfectly in line with 40K...anything else would be dumb.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 28, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BULBASAUR posted:

:monocle: I-I.. I don't think I've ever seen so much heresy

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sisko, you better get in here and defend your wolf brothers

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I like the TH/SS option. 50 points for a 4+/3++/FNP powerjort wolf slamming three attacks with a thunderhammer, that he (maybe) gets even if he's murdered before swinging, is fully sick. The 30 point base model seems way fragile, but the idea of them assaulting out of that stupid jet is mildly terrifying. Too bad they look like dorks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What, no Tzeentch imagespam? :nallears:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
the wolves took over.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Just as planned.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Pierzak posted:

What, no Tzeentch imagespam? :nallears:

Prospero Burns.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Just as planned.

edit: Goddamnit

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
That was planned too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Germ posted:

I discovered last week that Infinity has werewolves in kilts with a surprisingly awesome model to boot so I'm kind of disappointed that GW manages to gently caress up space werewolves like this.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cooked Auto posted:

I discovered last week that Infinity has werewolves in kilts with a surprisingly awesome model to boot so I'm kind of disappointed that GW manages to gently caress up space werewolves like this.
Yeah, the McMurrough mini is pretty bad-rear end. I'm not as big a fan of the USAriadna Dog Soldier, mostly because the pose isn't as good. But the new Antipodes (Infinity's vague equivalent of Fenrisian Wolves) are pretty cool.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I don't think the models themselves look that bad, they are supposed to be abominations...Wulfen are the result of the geneseed failing, not some extra special level of cool that only the best Space Wolves achieve. They are essentially the Death Company, the result of genetically encoded heresy that is found in the weaker chapters...

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 28, 2016

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

BULBASAUR posted:

Sisko, you better get in here and defend your wolf brothers

To be completely honest I completely agree with the thread. The models look ridiculous not in the 40k grim dark way but in a Saturday morning cartoons way and this is coming from someone who likes the Stormwulf. I think the rules are neat and I'll probably get around to converting some models but I'm definitely not going to buy those models in my lifetime.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

How do they extract a wulvens geneseed?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Being a Space Wolf is a ruff life.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Hixson posted:

How do they extract a wulvens geneseed?

I heard they lock in so I'm not sure if you can...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ilor posted:

Yeah, the McMurrough mini is pretty bad-rear end. I'm not as big a fan of the USAriadna Dog Soldier, mostly because the pose isn't as good. But the new Antipodes (Infinity's vague equivalent of Fenrisian Wolves) are pretty cool.

Heck, Infinity even has a French werewolf whose model is pretty cool as well. I will also have to agree with you on the Antipodes.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I like the hosed up wulf monsters. Buy More.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You stroke them until the geneseed comes out

Star Man posted:

Being a Space Wolf is a ruff life.

Hold up my brothers, need to finish braiding this manly fur before we commence the murder with our murderfangs

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Welcome to the Fang, brothers! Get yourself a tankard of ale so I can tell you whelps of the glory of our chapter

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

You stroke them until the geneseed comes out

Hold up my brothers, need to finish braiding this manly fur before we commence the murder with our murderfangs

Vikings braided their hair :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Those dumbass space furry super werewolves are super dumb. gently caress them, they're garbage models. It's page 999.

Hail Satan.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Warhammer World running a Blood Bowl tournament in May now makes a lot more sense having seen those pictures.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
More Wulfening.

quote:

Curse of the Wulfen.
All non-vehicle models within 6" is affected. For Blood/Sky/swift claws it is 12", for Long Fangs it is 3".
Wulfen, Servitors and units that starts in a transport are not affected.
At the start of the player turn, roll a single dice for all units. The effect lasts until your next player round.
Units outside of combat gains the Hunt tables effect, units in combat gains the Kill effect.
Hunt
1-3: re-rolls failed charges and... Smashdown? Don't know. EDIT: Just read a translation that said it was Hamer of Wrath, which makes more sense.
4-5: Add 3" when you move, run or charge. Basically dunestrider.
6: All models gain Furios Charge and gains 1d3 attacks for charging, unless they have Rage.

Kill:
1-4: +1 initiative.
4-5: Re-rolls to wound.
6: If killed, you may attack before being removed, even if you already fought in an earlier Initiative step.

Wargear.
Helfrost pistol. I will laugh if that thing ends up being 15 points and straight up better then plasma pistols.
Grenade launcher is 12", S4 Ap5 assault 3. Or assault D3?
I think they don't even need to fire it to benefit from assault grenades in close combat.

Frostclaws are +1S, AP2, Shred.
Stormhammer have Helfrost
Twohanded frost-axe is S+3 AP2. "Merciless swing?"
Strike at normal initiative when charging, otherwise at I1. That is 5 S8 AP2 attacks at initiative 5. But hey, who needs instakill T4 when you can drown the opponent in S6 AP2.

Wulfen - Take a dip in the warp pool get cool benefits.
Possessed - Swimming in the warp, get useless benefits.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

It's not the warp you ignoramuses. It's a flaw in the Canis Helix interacting with the geneseed.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

AP 2 power weapons for cheaper than actual power weapons? It's like they aren't even trying...

Also, apparently the word curse has lost all meaning.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Metzen is the new lead writer at GW.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

It's not the warp you ignoramuses. It's a flaw in the Canis Helix interacting with the geneseed.

Potato tomato.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

What if the wulfen.

Are the real space wolves?

And the space wolves are the genetic defects?

Anyway I'm surprised we still don't have better pictures of the models. I remain cautiously optimistic because going full berzerker with the space wolves could be cool, instead of just strapping increasing number of dead wolves to their armor.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

What if the wulfen.

Are the real space wolves?

And the space wolves are the genetic defects?

Anyway I'm surprised we still don't have better pictures of the models. I remain cautiously optimistic because going full berzerker with the space wolves could be cool, instead of just strapping increasing number of dead wolves to their armor.

It goes like this.

Fenrisian Wolves are the natives on Asaheim where the canis helix has gone too far.

Wulfen are space wolves where the canis helix takes control during combat

Bad-wulfen are space wolves where the canis helix is in control all the time

Thunderwolves are space wolves where the mutation have gone too far.

Get it right you nerds.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 28, 2016

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Yes but you were not there so

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nah, all of the various kinds of fancy wolves are a result of the genetic tampering of the original colonists. Thunderwolves are not failed space marines, but there are wulfen running around on Fenris that occasionally mess things up. If I remember right, Logan Grimnar's crazy Santa sleigh is pulled by a brother and sister team of thunderwolves which would preclude them being failed recruits.
:goonsay:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, all of the various kinds of fancy wolves are a result of the genetic tampering of the original colonists. Thunderwolves are not failed space marines, but there are wulfen running around on Fenris that occasionally mess things up. If I remember right, Logan Grimnar's crazy Santa sleigh is pulled by a brother and sister team of thunderwolves which would preclude them being failed recruits.
:goonsay:

Oh, I didn't know that. I assumed TWs were failed marines because they were vastly more intelligent and larger than regular fenrisian wolves.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just because they're brother and sister now doesn't mean they started like that. Life, finds a way.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Y'all, I don't even like Space Wolves. Why the gently caress do I know this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm the guy hanging there with my little squirrel hands and half a neck coming out of my mouth.

• Locked thread