Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Vader was right about nothing. The only worthwhile thing he did in his life was save Luke. He was a malleable, naive rube. The Emperor thought he could persuade Luke the way he did Vader, but Luke very pointedly wasn't his dad. He chose death over the dark side. Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

porfiria posted:

Luke considers Darth's offer for about 5 seconds, possibly 0. Also Vader's offer is more authoritarian bullshit. "THAT guy sucks, but if we just get the right one in there then..."

5 seconds is a long time if you measure in planck lengths.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

Vader was right about nothing. The only worthwhile thing he did in his life was save Luke. He was a malleable, naive rube. The Emperor thought he could persuade Luke the way he did Vader, but Luke very pointedly wasn't his dad. He chose death over the dark side. Twice.

You're thinking about Anakin Skywalker, a different character.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're thinking about Anakin Skywalker, a different character.

Anakin and Vader are explicitly the same person and character; and if you seriously want to argue otherwise you are a goddamn idiot.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

jivjov posted:

Anakin and Vader are explicitly the same person and character; and if you seriously want to argue otherwise you are a goddamn idiot.

Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker not being the same person is true...from a certain point of view.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

jivjov posted:

Darth Vader killed Anakin Skywalker, from a certain point of view.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

I think you're going a little far there. Abstractly, Anakin and Vader are separate characters. Concretely, of course, it's the same person (well, the important parts anyway).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The real Star Wars movies are a completely different narrative as compared to the prequels. Nobody knew Darth Vader was Luke's dad when they made Star Wars and the two sequels set up their own story that ends in Jedi. The prequels have their own story that doesn't match the real trilogy (Leia knew her mom, Anakin was a great pilot, Chewbacca is a space pirate, desert robes are just for people in the desert) because they're serving that story.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Yeah, those real Star Wars movies, like The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith, not any of those fake Star Wars movies.

This is ideology.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

The real Star Wars movies are a completely different narrative as compared to the prequels. Nobody knew Darth Vader was Luke's dad when they made Star Wars and the two sequels set up their own story that ends in Jedi. The prequels have their own story that doesn't match the real trilogy (Leia knew her mom, Anakin was a great pilot, Chewbacca is a space pirate, desert robes are just for people in the desert) because they're serving that story.

The prequels aren't canon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

Au contraire, they are!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Au contraire, they are!

Not to me they aren't! You can't take that from me!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yaws posted:

Canon is a meaningless concept that nerds should discard in favor of actually enjoying and engaging with stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

We can all agree that Obi-Wan Kenobi and his brother, Ben Kenobi, are different people and characters right? I mean who gets that old in twenty years?

quote:

Canon is a meaningless concept that Christians should discard in favor of actually enjoying and engaging with stuff.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

Not to me they aren't! You can't take that from me!

I am trying to give, not take!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

I am trying to give, not take!

I've tried to like the prequels man. I've watched them countless times. I'm jealous that y'all have 6 (7?) SW films you like.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yaws posted:

I've tried to like the prequels man. I've watched them countless times. I'm jealous that y'all have 6 (7?) SW films you like.

Have you tried watching the cool lightsaber fights

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I liked ROTS up until obi wan kills grievous. It just felt clunky after that point. There were some really excellent shots and scenes, but I don't think they flowed well.

Anakin vs obi wan was great; it was full of emotion. They really loving went at each other, and it was by far the most brutal fight. Obi wan was a fuckin great character. Anakin felt kind of shallow sometimes, but he always had great strength of conviction. But their relationship was good. Going from good friends at the beginning (of rots) to murdering each other. I was very sad at their last parting before poo poo hit the fan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jack Gladney posted:

desert robes are just for people in the desert

Speaking of which, Aunt Beru has this nice denim jacket that I don't think ever shows up in a film again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Speaking of which, Aunt Beru has this nice denim jacket that I don't think ever shows up in a film again.

That outfit's nice enough to wear outside of Star Wars (if it's still 1977)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Canon is a meaningless concept that nerds should discard in favor of actually enjoying and engaging with stuff.

The single criterion for canonicity in the present age is whether poo poo is any good. That Alien franchise box set should be two discs.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

jivjov posted:

Anakin is a man.

Darth Vader is more machine than man.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Machine or mannequin?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

RBA Starblade posted:

Machine or mannequin?

Manakin.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Anakin is a man.

Darth Vader is more machine than man.

That's just obi-wan being old timey racist pretty sure vader can go into the mos eisly catina.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elfgames posted:

That's just obi-wan being old timey racist pretty sure vader can go into the mos eisly catina.

If he couldn't there wouldn't be a Cantina left after.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
well yeah Vader's a righteous hero and it's a hive of scum and villainy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It seems like a huge amount of the time in PT-era lightsaber fights getting kicked is like a death sentence

Like Qui-Gon Jinn, and here (big Clone Wars TV spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8uXBdCIsrU

E: I love the line at 3:52, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

It seems like a huge amount of the time in PT-era lightsaber fights getting kicked is like a death sentence

Like Qui-Gon Jinn, and here (big Clone Wars TV spoilers): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8uXBdCIsrU

E: I love the line at 3:52, and I'm not entirely sure why.

If we assume that Jedi fight with the force like they pilot or what have you, it means your offense/defense has collapsed so thoroughly your opponent is getting a free move/bested your predictions and skills. Even if the blade isn't in you yet, they're setting you up for the killing blow.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

The single criterion for canonicity in the present age is whether poo poo is any good. That Alien franchise box set should be two discs.

That makes no sense, there'd be no room for Alien 3 and Prometheus

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cargohills posted:

That makes no sense, there'd be no room for Alien 3 and Prometheus

No, he's saying those are the good ones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MonsieurChoc posted:

And some people choose to engage with and enjoy an ongoing narrative comprising of multiple entries into a single continuity.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

And the ongoing narrative is valuable because otherwise how would you know what was canon?!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheKingofSprings posted:

When me and myf riends rewatched all six movies previous to TFA, we noticed that through all of them there's a lot of useless spinning during lightsaber fights, and the winne ris usually the one who spins the most. Our conclusion was that by using The Spin, force-users can power up their lightsaber skills and win.

jivjov posted:

And some people choose to engage with and enjoy an ongoing narrative comprising of multiple entries into a single continuity.

You can do that without getting bogged won in the worthless minutia of canon. In fact, caring too much about what'S canon or not often leads to not engaging or enjoying the narrative, instead nitpicking over continuity (example Cinema Sins).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonsieurChoc posted:

When me and myf riends rewatched all six movies previous to TFA, we noticed that through all of them there's a lot of useless spinning during lightsaber fights, and the winne ris usually the one who spins the most. Our conclusion was that by using The Spin, force-users can power up their lightsaber skills and win.

It's a neat trick.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Empress Theonora posted:

Hey, Cnut, where are you getting all that behind the scenes stuff about Empire? I'd love to read more about that.
From these books:
The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film
The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
The Making of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
If you're a fan of these movies, these are absolutely amazing. Worth every penny. They couldn't possibly be any better...

...unless you buy the Kindle version (make sure your player can support it) or Google Play versions. Those are extended versions with more photographs and behind the scenes videos, test shots, etc not included in any other video release.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can do that without getting bogged won in the worthless minutia of canon. In fact, caring too much about what'S canon or not often leads to not engaging or enjoying the narrative, instead nitpicking over continuity (example Cinema Sins).

Or you can enjoy the aspect of having a consistent, canonical, ongoing narrative.

I mean, if someone wants to take ever single entry in the series as completely unconnected to everything else, that's fine. But for me (and a lot of other fans), having a continuity to which things adhere is just part of the experience. Don't poo poo on my parade and I won't poo poo on yours.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

It adds up, it's the only acrobatic move Old Ben attempts in the first one so it's clearly important.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

If we assume that Jedi fight with the force like they pilot or what have you, it means your offense/defense has collapsed so thoroughly your opponent is getting a free move/bested your predictions and skills. Even if the blade isn't in you yet, they're setting you up for the killing blow.

There's also a social element. Kicking someone is effectively putting them below your feet - and feet tend to be considered unclean, or worse than the rest of the body. For an obvious example of kicking used as denigration, see 300's scene where Leonidas kicks the cowardly Persian diplomat into a well. When Darth Maul or whoever else is kicking Jedi into pits, they're saying they're poo poo that they've stepped in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

The concept-phrase "Star Wars fans do not actually like Star Wars" does not refer to the number of films you like, but to fans' adoption of ideological stances that run counter to what Star Wars is actually about.

For example, many fans misread the original films as being, effectively, a celebration of feudalism/libertarianism. The prequels then counter this misreading and clarify the true meaning of Star Wars by saying - rather explicitly - that feudalism and libertarianism are dumb. The Separatist baddies are unambiguously idiots.

Force Awakens, however, then emerged as a feudalist film with Separatist heroes. Fans that celebrate TFA as 'the return of Star Wars', are actually celebrating the return of the misinterpretation of Star Wars.

Where are you getting a Feudal reading of Star Wars? Feudalism is based around land tenancy with tenants that are bound to that land under law. They provide goods and military services to a landlord who then provides goods and military service to their lord and so forth. No one actually owns any private property because it all is ultimately the property of the crown. The king may grant that land to a subject but in the end the king can always take it back. Henry Bolingbroke usurped Richard II as King of England because Richard reclaimed the wealthy Duchy of Lancaster for the Crown after the death of Henry's father. In a feudalist system Henry Bolingbroke did not OWN the Duchy of Lancaster the Crown did. It was his through feudal right because it passed to Henry from his father. However, the King in theory has the right to reclaim that property at any time.

Feudalism is an agrarian/manorialist system that relies on the tenant obligations to be enforced under the law. And this a primarily Marxist reading of the concept which tends to dismiss other socio-cultural factors. It gets particularly messy in England where the tradition of the king ruling by the consent of the nobility is fairly well entrenched going back to the Anglo Saxon era.

Libertarianism is built entirely upon the idea of private property and the liberty of the individual which is utterly foreign in a feudal system. A peasant is tied to the land. They don't have the right to move to the next town over to find a better paying job. They tried that in the Peasant's Rebellion in England during the feudal era. Did not work out to well for them at the time.

Where is this in Star Wars again? Is it because Leia is a Princess? You can have a monarchy that has nothing to do with feudalism. Genuinely curious. I get that Libertarian idea can be tied to the Separatists in the PT but I'm not seeing anything resembling feudalism outside of a few titles.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 28, 2016

• Locked thread